TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #931
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post
I got the offer as well via email. Does anyone know if I would have to buy service at the time I buy the Roamio directly from TiVo?
TiVo never sells any TiVo itself without service, monthly or Lifetime.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #932
triftraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeagabu View Post
I'm a panelist. Where is my e-mail?!?!
I got my email (maybe coincidentally) within an hour of completing January's survey...
triftraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #933
tlc

Tempting. Now I have to go find out why a Roamio is better than my XL4+Stream.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #934
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TiVo never sells any TiVo itself without service, monthly or Lifetime.
They sold me my Roamio Basic without service. But that was because my $6.95 rate on my Premiere was going to be transferred. So I had to contact them after receiving my Roamio Basic from them to transfer the monthly rate as well as get $99 lifetime on the Premiere.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #935
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triftraf View Post
I got my email (maybe coincidentally) within an hour of completing January's survey...
Same here. I filled out the January survey and it seemed like it came soon after that. The email mentioned being a TiVo Advisor in good standing.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #936
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They sold me my Roamio Basic without service. But that was because my $6.95 rate on my Premiere was going to be transferred. So I had to contact them after receiving my Roamio Basic from them to transfer the monthly rate as well as get $99 lifetime on the Premiere.
I never had monthly service so I guess I did not know about special monthly service xfers, no Lifetime xfer. however.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #937
realfun4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post
I got the offer as well via email. Does anyone know if I would have to buy service at the time I buy the Roamio directly from TiVo?
Yes it clearley states on the e-mail

Service required

so you will either have to take the monthly or lifetime service options at time of purchase
Series2 ST HD upgraded
2 x Humax Series2 DVR 80 hr with DVD Writer
realfun4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:29 AM   #938
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Anyone have an extra advisory panel code they don't plan on using? I'd love to order a mini and a roamio pro both with lifetime. Please pm me if you don't mind. I'll modify this post once I recieve one to let the community know all set. If by chance I get an extra code I'll be sure to get them into those hands that will use them. Thanks!!!
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #939
Willin

Add me to the list of those in desperate need of a code. I'm waiting to purchase...
Willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #940
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willin View Post
Add me to the list of those in desperate need of a code. I'm waiting to purchase...
Call up TiVo and ask for what you want. The worst he/she could say is no. If you get a no, call back tomorrow. Someone called this CSR rouletter . I like that term.
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #941
lesliew

Didn't notice the survey at the bottom of my email before reading the last couple of comments, but just completed mine. Hopefully I'll get the offer discount. Been itching to get the Pro, this would definitely satisfy my craving.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #942
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Go with option #1 but buy the Mini from Amazon instead and save yourself about $20 in cost and taxes.
I did this as well for my Roamio (basic). Price dropped from $199 (from TiVo directly) to $150 (from Amazon). They also have the Pro at $523 as opposed to $599 on TiVo directly right now

Personally, I'm loving my Roamio. This thing is just faster than anything I've had from TiVo in the past and I've been around for a few years
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #943
jtrain

I'm curious if anyone has brought their 'advisory panel' promo code e-mail to BestBuy and asked if they'd match the price? I've got BB gift cards to use up from Christmas and would break for either a Pro or Plus at this price point, but i was curious if anyone had even tried a price match at BB.
jtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #944
alburtis

I mentioned this in another thread, but figured I would add it here.

As far as I can tell, Amazon is currently offering the base Roamio for $149.

Best Buy is offering it for the normal price of $199 with a $50 gift card with purchase this weekend. This seems to apply to both online and in-store purchases.

While I cant confirm that you can receive the gift card and the price match, I will try it tomorrow and will report back. I will simply go to the register with the Amazon print out and the Roamio box. I will not mention the gift card and will hope it will just show up...since that is their offer this weekend.

If I do get the giftcard, I will then hand it over to my wife with an Amazon printout for a $97 Tivo Stream at Amazon ($129 at Best Buy) and will then use the gift card on the stream. That would be $149 + $97 - $50 = $196 for the retail cost of $129 + $199 = $328. (Edit: You would still have the $50 coupon if you went to Best Buy to put towards the stream which would be $278 but my point was against no promotions).

If Tivo is abandoning its hardware, I would like to take advantage of a weak consumer electronics holiday season to push my obsolescence date out as long as I can!

Last edited by alburtis : 01-25-2014 at 01:13 AM.
alburtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #945
Qwijib0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alburtis View Post
I mentioned this in another thread, but figured I would add it here.

As far as I can tell, Amazon is currently offering the base Roamio for $149.

Best Buy is offering it for the normal price of $199 with a $50 gift card with purchase this weekend. This seems to apply to both online and in-store purchases.

While I cant confirm that you can receive the gift card and the price match, I will try it tomorrow and will report back. I will simply go to the register with the Amazon print out and the Roamio box. I will not mention the gift card and will hope it will just show up...since that is their offer this weekend.

If I do get the giftcard, I will then hand it over to my wife with an Amazon printout for a $97 Tivo Stream at Amazon ($129 at Best Buy) and will then use the gift card on the stream. That would be $149 + $97 - $50 = $196 for the retail cost of $129 + $199 = $328. (Edit: You would still have the $50 coupon if you went to Best Buy to put towards the stream which would be $278 but my point was against no promotions).

If Tivo is abandoning its hardware, I would like to take advantage of a weak consumer electronics holiday season to push my obsolescence date out as long as I can!
This works, I did it. At the register, I had them PM amazon and they did-- I was about to ask about the gift card and look like a real cheap guy but the register just tacked it on before I had the chance. I also had the advisor code to get the $175 mini with lifetime and $175 for a mini with lifetime was too good a deal. The call center also transferred my ancient $10.99/mo TivoHD contract to the Roamio so with the great bby deal I went from single room 2 tuner to multi-room 4 tuner with double the storage for $275 up front with no change to my monthly fee.
Qwijib0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #946
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
This is what I did and it worked fine.

Quote:
They will not design any new hardware, but the new Roamio line is great. I think it will work for me for 4-5 years. I might buy a spare from BB with PM and gift card just to have one on hand. M cards only support 6 streams, so there is no point in adding extra tuners for cable.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #947
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobrownblue View Post
This is what I did and it worked fine.

They will not design any new hardware, but the new Roamio line is great. I think it will work for me for 4-5 years.
Did I miss something? What's all this about?

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #948
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Did I miss something? What's all this about?
Tivo laid off 5 people, and the internet lost its damn mind.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=513841
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #949
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
Tivo laid off 5 people, and the internet lost its damn mind.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=513841
Great summation... thank you

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #950
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
the internet lost its damn mind.
The internet always loses it's damn mind, every time something happens.
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #951
HoOn

oh no! I was going to get the $50 gift card promo from Best Buy and it's not showing up anymore online!
HoOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #952
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoOn View Post
oh no! I was going to get the $50 gift card promo from Best Buy and it's not showing up anymore online!
Yeah, their prior week's sales usually end at COB Saturday and new ones start on Sundays.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #953
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Be patient. Just like on "Poltergeist" it'll be back. Maybe.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #954
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I read the fine print yesterday when debating whether or not to go for the Best Buy deal. Apparently customers can either price match or get a Best Buy promotion, but they aren't supposed to get both.

If Amazon or one of the other online retailers on their list is still offering the $149.99 price, call customer service and they're supposed to do the price match for you. It won't be the same as getting the gift card, but you'll still get something off.

(Yes, I know some people got the PM *and* the gift card. But the fine print says that shouldn't have happened.)
Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #955
Keen

Okay, I'll bite. Which fine print?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #956
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite. Which fine print?
The page which explains the BB policy on price matching:

Best Buy Low Price Guarantee

Quote:
Low Price Guarantee
Online or In Store: Find a Lower Price and We'll Match It.

At the time of purchase, we will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor's store or shipped from and sold by a designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Rakuten.com Shopping, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.comŽ. We will also match prices post purchase if we lower our price within 15 days of your purchase.

The Guarantee is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest and does not apply to: Contract mobile phones sold by any online retailer, the online prices of retailers not listed, the online prices of products shipped from or sold by third party vendors (Marketplace vendors) on designated major online retailers websites, post purchase price match requests to competitor's prices, Best Buy for Business™, offers that include financing, gift card offers, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, coupon offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, our and our competitor's Deal of the Day, daily deals, special hour sale event items and credit card offers, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through 11:59 p.m. on the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I interpreted that to mean that you could either price-match or take a BB promo, but not both.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #957
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
The page which explains the BB policy on price matching:

Best Buy Low Price Guarantee

Maybe I'm wrong, but I interpreted that to mean that you could either price-match or take a BB promo, but not both.
It could also be interpreted to mean that they won't match another retailer's gift card offer.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #958
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It could also be interpreted to mean that they won't match another retailer's gift card offer.
That's the way I've always read it. Otherwise, they wouldn't let you use Best Buy Credit Card financing on purchases that involved pricematching (i.e. 'financing' right before gift card offers), which would be ridiculous.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #959
Luckyluc

I have 2 current 45HR Tivo Premiere's. One with Lifetime and one on ASP. I am looking at the F&F plan offer which seemingly offers lower monthly service on a new Roamio Pro vs the AP offer. Difference is about $45 upfront but the lower monthly plan makes the F&F plan seem better.
Problem is then I have 3 TIVO's when I only need 2. I tried to get on the phone with Tivo to get the $99 offer to upgrade the Tivo to lifetime and the CSR wouldn't budge. Any recommendations or advice?
Luckyluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #960
pricebri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
They gave you a Roamio plus for $324.95 without any monthly contract ??

Roamio Plus for $325 and I xfer my existing monthly service to the device at the normal rate. I'm guessing that in 3 years they may have yet another new device or I may finally dump cable all together so I'm hesitant to go the lifetime service route. With my upgrade history I would not have broken even on anything other than my old SD DirectTV Tivo, every other Tivo I have upgraded within 3 years.
pricebri is offline   Reply With Quote