TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #871
tivaulo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Before spending $99 to put a TiVo 2 on PLS, you might want to check out Craig's List and eBay.
I see. It doesn't make sense. Thanks.
tivaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #872
Tom Pich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN.
Posts: 30
Received the two Roamio Pros I ordered from Amazon @431.29ea yesterday. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to set them up till I can spring for lifetime on both boxes.
__________________
(2) Roamio Pro
(1) Premiere w/2TB HDD
(1) Premiere XL4
Tom Pich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #873
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pich View Post
Received the two Roamio Pros I ordered from Amazon @431.29ea yesterday. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to set them up till I can spring for lifetime on both boxes.
Why not set them up as monthly initially which gives you 30 days to upgrade to lifetime, then if you still don't have the funds call again before the 30 days is up and ask for another 30 day extension, which they've always done. If after 60 days you still don't have funds, just cancel service. I'm sure if you called to cancel after that long with the reason being you didn't have money for lifetime, then they'd maybe extend your trial period again. Worth a try I think.
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #874
Tom Pich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN.
Posts: 30
So I can set them up monthly and buy Lifetime in say a few weeks and not be on the hook for the full year?
__________________
(2) Roamio Pro
(1) Premiere w/2TB HDD
(1) Premiere XL4
Tom Pich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #875
alyssa
Registered User
 
alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Mountains of New Hampshire
Posts: 1,593
Yes
__________________
Roamio Plus LT upgraded w/3TB
XL4 LT + external w/2TB

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #876
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 6,139
FYI I ordered a Roamio Plus (as that Amazon Etailz canceled me and others for the Roamio Pro at $399) for $319 free shipping and no Tax, not quite as good a deal as Etailz, but close, and better than Amazon as I now have to pay tax at Amazon, see below, will be at my home today, order was on the 13th of Jan. Payment by PayPal, and PayPal told me the payment was covered under their buyer protection plan.
The sight is http://www.electronichotdeal.com/tiv...dvr-tcd848000/


Tracking Jan 2014 UPS (Free Shipping) 1ZW4946xxxxxxxx Unit coming from NY
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis,
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #877
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
FYI I ordered a Roamio Plus (as that Amazon Etailz canceled me and others for the Roamio Pro at $399) for $319 free shipping and no Tax, not quite as good a deal as Etailz, but close, and better than Amazon as I now have to pay tax at Amazon, see below, will be at my home today, order was on the 13th of Jan. Payment by PayPal, and PayPal told me the payment was covered under their buyer protection plan.
The sight is http://www.electronichotdeal.com/tiv...dvr-tcd848000/


Tracking Jan 2014 UPS (Free Shipping) 1ZW4946xxxxxxxx Unit coming from NY
Ugh, there's no stopping you, is there lessd. Another scam site, slightly different look.

See the About us.
Looks like the scammer missed that one "Walt's" reference.

Where the it came from: Walts
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #878
midson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 52
Thanks to Target's data breach, there are plenty of stolen CC numbers out there to use! Score for lessd!
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #879
Zu Nim
Registerer Used
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 31
Thumbs down Triangulation fraud costs us all

Anyone who buys from electronichotdeal.com is participating in triangulation fraud. These sites all use bigcommerce.com to build a store with one of the stock themes and then they disappear a month later. sophiamart.com and electronicmegasale.com used the Classic theme. Nobody gets a printed receipt with their shipment except to say it was shipped by another retailer. The fraudsters can't even be bothered to complete the sites (or they lift the content from someone else) except for the database of products.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #880
lapdog12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 35
Just got the roamio pro from Best Buy. I had them match the $499 price from this page:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/roam...r-landing-page

I did as someone else did, I explained that they discounted the box $100 as part of the deal and the manager gave it to me. I think it helped that I went early on a weekday morning when they were not busy at all.

I also got the $50 gift card as well. I personally used that to pay for half of the 4 year geek squad warranty. I know some people don't bother with the warranty, but I wanted a bit of piece of mind. I like being able to go right to best buy instead of having to ship things back and forth with tivo.

It's still in the box. Now I need to get a cable card from TWC socal. fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.
lapdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #881
randian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 139
Not even electronichotdeal is aggressive enough to match Etailz.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #882
MrWizzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7
Smile

Just got amazon to match the $430 price they had while etailz offer of $399. Just linked them my cancelled order number and they matched it. Took less than 5 minutes.
MrWizzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #883
mrsean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWizzu View Post
Just got amazon to match the $430 price they had while etailz offer of $399. Just linked them my cancelled order number and they matched it. Took less than 5 minutes.
Sounds like nobody else had to go through the ordeal that I did to get the $423 price. It serves me right though since I contacted Amazon in the middle of the night which means da da da.... I had to deal with India.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro/Lifetime/Verizon FIOS
TiVo Roamio Basic/Lifetime/Comcast
TiVo Mini/Lifetime/Comcast

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #884
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Sounds like nobody else had to go through the ordeal that I did to get the $423 price. It serves me right though since I contacted Amazon in the middle of the night which means da da da.... I had to deal with India.
I hate outsourced CS, especially from India, terribly hard to understand their accents. Philippines is not as bad.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #885
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 6,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Not even electronichotdeal is aggressive enough to match Etailz.
But Etailoz does not ship, electronichotdeal does, and still as a drop ship from Best Buy, because of some people on this forum calling electronichotdeal a scam I called Best Buy with their order number and asked them to check if there was any type of problem with that Best Buy order number, they looked it up and said it was paid for and not by credit card, bank xfer, and I will have no problem with that sale, it was not any type of scam. But if you look at BB stock, down 25% yesterday, maybe they don't know what happening anyways.
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis,
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #886
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
...it was paid for and not by credit card, bank xfer, and I will have no problem with that sale, it was not any type of scam.
Even worse, the scammers are potentially using stolen bank account info to do ACH transfers out of unsuspecting victim's accounts. These are illegitimate sites. The money paid to Best Buy is dirty, whatever the source.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #887
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 6,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Even worse, the scammers are potentially using stolen bank account info to do ACH transfers out of unsuspecting victim's accounts. These are illegitimate sites. The money paid to Best Buy is dirty, whatever the source.
I don't know you tatergator1 but I sure do know Best Buy, so your saying Best Buy is being scammed, you know this for sure but Best Buy is a baby in the woods, you should offer your services to Best Buy, as you could save them a ton of money as this sight is selling a lot more than TiVos. You seem to have such an easy answer, how does Best Buy miss this, their fraud dept. must have heard about the big retail customer thief (if this transition is part of this) and not question all this new business coming from this and other so called (by you) scam sights. I will leave the possibility open that PayPal, Best Buy, and myself are being taking, OR Best Buy is trying to dump inventory in a way that does not make Best Buy look any worse than they already are (BBY stock is now down about 35% in two days).
The undisputed facts are:

I payed PayPal, a legitimate money receiver

I received my product from Best Buy, a legitimate Co that would not send my a stolen product.

People purchase from E-Bay all the time and the buyer has no knowledge where the product came from (in most cases).

I could see your point if I went to the back of a Best Buy store and paid say a Lenny $300 cash and he came back with my TiVo from the Best Buy stock room.
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis,
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #888
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,001
Other facts:

You are paying $319 to an online "business" which, in turn pays the full retail of $399 to Best Buy to drop ship it to you.

This "business" website uses an "About Us" description taken directly from another online electronics retailer, even forgetting to change one of the references to "electronichotdeal."

This same item has been offered for the same price at least two other short-lived online businesses: sophiamart and electronicmegasale.

Those two other sites used the exact same e-commerce website template sold by bigcommerce.com.

The current site, electronichotdeal, uses a different template from the same company.

If it looks like a duck and walks/quacks/flies like a duck, it is a duck.

As an aside, I actually do have some insight into Best Buy's loss prevention as I recently sat on a Jury for an identity theft trial. The incidents occurred 3 years ago and was just making it to trial, but in 2010/2011, the Best Buy stores in my geographical region had some of the worst video surveillance in terms of quality and usefulness. Ironically, a nearby Target Store's surveillance using an antiquated VHS system was 10 times better.

I've said my piece.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #889
cherry ghost
Registered User
 
cherry ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,237
Was the jury sequestered at a Holiday Inn Express?
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #890
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Was the jury sequestered at a Holiday Inn Express?
I suppose I deserved that a little. (Put's soap box away.)
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #891
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 6,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Other facts:

You are paying $319 to an online "business" which, in turn pays the full retail of $399 to Best Buy to drop ship it to you.

This "business" website uses an "About Us" description taken directly from another online electronics retailer, even forgetting to change one of the references to "electronichotdeal."

This same item has been offered for the same price at least two other short-lived online businesses: sophiamart and electronicmegasale.

Those two other sites used the exact same e-commerce website template sold by bigcommerce.com.

The current site, electronichotdeal, uses a different template from the same company.

If it looks like a duck and walks/quacks/flies like a duck, it is a duck.

As an aside, I actually do have some insight into Best Buy's loss prevention as I recently sat on a Jury for an identity theft trial. The incidents occurred 3 years ago and was just making it to trial, but in 2010/2011, the Best Buy stores in my geographical region had some of the worst video surveillance in terms of quality and usefulness. Ironically, a nearby Target Store's surveillance using an antiquated VHS system was 10 times better.

I've said my piece.
I know that is your position and I respect that, but your not answering my question, how do you know about this so called scam and PayPal and Best Buy do not ?? Are you just more carful about Web sights that you have no business with, and PayPal/Best Buy are not ??
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis,
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #892
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I know that is your position and I respect that, but your not answering my question, how do you know about this so called scam and PayPal and Best Buy do not ?? Are you just more carful about Web sights that you have no business with, and PayPal/Best Buy are not ??
Can I say 100% this is a scam. No. 99%, Probably. It's likely Paypal and Best Buy are well aware of the tactics of said sites, it's just hard to kill it and track in real time. Why do these sites only last a few weeks? PayPal caught on and terminated their account? IIRC, another member Googled sophiamart and found several complaints from people who never received anything after paying.

My guess is the Best Buy orders are individually placed using a different stolen ID each time. Just like a parent ordering a new tech gadget for a college student, they put in all the stolen payment info to the BB site, and use your shipping address, like it was a gift.

I would never order anything from one of those sites. Never. Regardless of assurances from payment processors that would make me whole if it were a fraud.

Little in life is certain. I don't know the precise mechanics. However, everything about this stinks, badly.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #893
JDSmooth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 12
In a small attempt to get this thread back on track, I will say that I just picked up a Roamio Basic for our master bedroom to replace our Premiere 4 XL. I price matched to the $149 Amazon Price, used a $100 giftcard I got from a Black Friday sale, and got the $50 giftcard with absolutely no issues. Truthfully the manager who had to emerge from a strange door at the front of the store looked annoyed at having been bothered to authorize the transaction more than anything else.

After using the Roamio Plus in the Living Room, the TP4 was getting really frustrating. Even my wife noticed the difference. I ordered a 2tb WD AVGP drive to swap in before I set it up next week.
JDSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #894
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!
 
BlackBetty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,419
Bummed I missed the amazon $430 price for the pro. Hopefully it comes back.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #895
Zu Nim
Registerer Used
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I know that is your position and I respect that, but your not answering my question, how do you know about this so called scam and PayPal and Best Buy do not ?? Are you just more carful about Web sights that you have no business with, and PayPal/Best Buy are not ??
It can take up to 60 days for a consumer or bank to realize something is amiss (and do something about it). Some fraudulent charges are found quickly, but mostly when the banks are liable and will have to eat the cost. ACH charges? Good luck.

eBay is littered with triangulation fraud, too. It's a clever criminal scheme and (usually) not obvious to the consumer until after the purchase. But eBay fraudsters get shut down abruptly because consumers report it, which is inconvenient for larger-scale fraudsters. So they've moved into making cookie-cutter websites that aren't rigorously patrolled. It doesn't make it more legitimate.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #896
mongo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
If you go to electronichotdeal.com and click on "about us", it states they have been in business in Arizona for 50 years. If you click on "contact us" the address is Long Beach, CA. On scamvoid.com and geolocation.mynetworkisrich.com, the IP address is located in Dallas. scamvoid.com also states that the website was only registered 22 days ago.

That's enough red flags for me to avoid it. I was just about to pull the trigger on a laptop deal but was suspicious because the deal was so much better than elsewhere.
mongo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #897
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 6,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
It can take up to 60 days for a consumer or bank to realize something is amiss (and do something about it). Some fraudulent charges are found quickly, but mostly when the banks are liable and will have to eat the cost. ACH charges? Good luck.

eBay is littered with triangulation fraud, too. It's a clever criminal scheme and (usually) not obvious to the consumer until after the purchase. But eBay fraudsters get shut down abruptly because consumers report it, which is inconvenient for larger-scale fraudsters. So they've moved into making cookie-cutter websites that aren't rigorously patrolled. It doesn't make it more legitimate.
I guess I feel that I should protect myself from being scammed, not PayPal or Best Buy for that matter, every day I get people trying to give me millions of $ (I won a sweepstakes or I am just a good person to leave money to) if I would verify myself with my name, address, SS number, and bank info so they can deposit this money into my account (I think there is a movie now out about this, Nebraska ). If you offer me advice not to give out this information, I would be 100% on your side, but I don't feel I am responsible to check out any Web sight before I purchase, if I like the payment system (and price) I purchase, only once in the last 10 years did I not get delivery, called my CC co. up and they gave me my money back, no hassle. I would not purchase from Amazon.com if payment was only by western Union.
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis,
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #898
todd_j_derr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 173
TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah - holy crap, how can you even argue that site is legitimate? Between the sloppily copied text from Walt's, the "contact us" address in CA (which is actually the address of a strip mall management office: http://www.marketplacelongbeach.com/contact), and all the other shadiness, it's pretty obvious something is amiss. You can choose to be willfully ignorant of all that, and maybe you'll even avoid getting screwed personally, but it is likely that someone is getting the shaft. Is saving a few bucks really worth participating in fraud?
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #899
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,554
lessd,

I assume you would also buy from this site.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #900
soobaerodude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
Yeah - holy crap, how can you even argue that site is legitimate? Between the sloppily copied text from Walt's, the "contact us" address in CA (which is actually the address of a strip mall management office: http://www.marketplacelongbeach.com/contact), and all the other shadiness, it's pretty obvious something is amiss. You can choose to be willfully ignorant of all that, and maybe you'll even avoid getting screwed personally, but it is likely that someone is getting the shaft. Is saving a few bucks really worth participating in fraud?
To lessd and palover, it is worth it to them. Despite all of the obvious red flags and minuscule 'savings', it's not their problem.

Last edited by soobaerodude : 01-18-2014 at 02:21 PM.
soobaerodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |