TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #841
robby818

My Roamio Pro arrived yesterday. I purchased it on Wednesday night for $529.90 on Amazon.com. I contacted Amazon by Chat and received a credit for $96.40. This is why I love Amazon. Instant customer service & resolution even on a Saturday evening.

Yeah Amazon
robby818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #842
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
For me it would be $30 + $27 in sales tax, that $57, I took my chance and ordered the $399 Roamio Pro version, I got a confirm from Amazon, if the order falls through, no problem for me as I will get my money back.
Good heavens man! How many Roamios are you going to buy?
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #843
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbell82 View Post
Got Best Buy to pricematch the Amazon price of $433.59 for the pro. No problems, although they did double check this on their own iPad!
it's a good price with a 3tb hdd
if you got bb to price match a plus to $350 & add a 3tb hdd for $120 = $470

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alyssa : 01-11-2014 at 08:35 PM.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #844
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Good heavens man! How many Roamios are you going to buy?
I going to end up with 3 Roamios and sell my remaining TP4, I find the Roamio a great unit that I will (for the foreseeable future) not have to upgrade again.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #845
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I going to end up with 3 Roamios and sell my remaining TP4, I find the Roamio a great unit that I will (for the foreseeable future) not have to upgrade again.
Why 3 DVRs and one Mini though instead of two of each? Are you really going to use 18 tuners and 8TB of recording space? Or are you less than impressed with the Mini?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #846
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Why 3 DVRs and one Mini though instead of two of each? Are you really going to use 18 tuners and 8TB of recording space? Or are you less than impressed with the Mini?
While not a part of the discussion, I've seen this question posted a lot lately.

I think it merits it's own thread, as there are many reasons to want either configuration, as well as each having it's own upsides/downsides. But, it is still a YMMV situation. One size (way) does not fit all (although many would try to insist their way is the better/best way).

I'm using three Roamio basics, all upgraded with WD 3TB Red NAS drives (by myself), and would never consider a Mini.

I'll explain it all when somebody starts a thread (it's inevitable). Then, everybody who wants to ask this question, or post the pros/cons, can link over to that thread, keeping this thread for the deals only, and undiluted.

Each Roamio Basic cost me $99 (plus tax), each 3TB WD Red NAS drive cost me $119, and I lifetimed all of them at MSD pricing. All my TiVo HDs and Premieres which were lifetimed, 2-tuner w/2TB drives, have been sold and shipped.

I'm quite happy with what I have, and have no regrets about not going with Plus/Pro models (or using any Minis), regardless of some of the current deals, not available on the other models, in the window I had to make my decisions.

Anybody want more details, and/or to argue that I'm an idiot for what I chose? Start a dedicated thread then, please.

Add: P.S. There's always the PM option, if you are of the mind that this forum has too many threads already.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #847
jwbelcher

$50 Gift cards returned at Best buy yesterday

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/ti...o-offer-115640
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #848
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
$50 Gift cards returned at Best buy yesterday

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/ti...o-offer-115640
Now, if Etailz would pop back up on Amazon with the $399 Pro, and Amazon adjusts back to ~$433 for the Pro, that would be one hell of a price match deal with the $50 gift card!
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #849
lessd

Quote:
I am never going to need 18 tuners, because of the speed of the Roamio, at a good price, I wanted to replace the three TP4s that I had before with the Roamio, if TiVo had personal groups than what your suggesting would make sense for our family, but without personal groups each TiVo is its own personal group, the Mini is for my wife at her makeup area in our master bathroom.
When I set down to watch a recorded show on my TiVo I don't want to have to go through a bunch a shows that others have recorded.
The other thing is that now I will have a consistent interface on all my TiVos and I don't think I will (for the foreseeable future) have to upgrade our Roamios to anything new TiVo may come out with.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #850
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
While not a part of the discussion, I've seen this question posted a lot lately.

I think it merits it's own thread, as there are many reasons to want either configuration, as well as each having it's own upsides/downsides. But, it is still a YMMV situation. One size (way) does not fit all (although many would try to insist their way is the better/best way).

I'm using three Roamio basics, all upgraded with WD 3TB Red NAS drives (by myself), and would never consider a Mini.

I'll explain it all when somebody starts a thread (it's inevitable). Then, everybody who wants to ask this question, or post the pros/cons, can link over to that thread, keeping this thread for the deals only, and undiluted.

Each Roamio Basic cost me $99 (plus tax), each 3TB WD Red NAS drive cost me $119, and I lifetimed all of them at MSD pricing. All my TiVo HDs and Premieres which were lifetimed, 2-tuner w/2TB drives, have been sold and shipped.

I'm quite happy with what I have, and have no regrets about not going with Plus/Pro models (or using any Minis), regardless of some of the current deals, not available on the other models, in the window I had to make my decisions.

Anybody want more details, and/or to argue that I'm an idiot for what I chose? Start a dedicated thread then, please.

Add: P.S. There's always the PM option, if you are of the mind that this forum has too many threads already.
There's already a separate thread on that general topic here. I was just looking for lessd's specific take on it, which he has graciously provided.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #851
OCSMITH
VAWHEELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I'd be surprised if the order went through. Etailz had the Pro listed at $399.99 in mid-November, too, and a couple of us placed orders, but we all got emails within a day that the order had been cancelled because the product was out of stock.
My order was just canceled........
1 Premier XL (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 TiVo Stream (For Sale)
1 Tivo Mini
1 Amazon FireTV
3 Roku 3
OCSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #852
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
There's already a separate thread on that general topic here. I was just looking for lessd's specific take on it, which he has graciously provided.
Good to know. I'll post something in there when I'm not busy trying to figure out why only my Roamios will do Netflix @ 1080p/24, and not my Roku 2XS or WD TV Live Hub (the latter two used to, now refuse to)...

While the Roamios are nice, they still have that famous TiVo tendency to spontaneously reboot when using Netflix, and I can only get 720p with my other devices.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #853
a0lsux

Ordered from Amazon 433 with overnight and just got it today. Didn't want to take a risk with Blitz.
a0lsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #854
alyssa

the $50 gift card deal seems to be back at bb at least on the plus

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/roamio-p...plus&cp=1&lp=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #855
mike3775

Got my roamio today and set up real fast. I have to give credit to the one who posted the 877 number for Comcast, saved me a bunch of wait time on the phone trying to get the cable card activated.

Now I am waiting to decide whether or not I hook the extender into the pro or not
mike3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #856
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSMITH View Post
My order was just canceled........
Mine was cancelled at 1:17pm. I wonder if Etailz shipped any?

EDIT: If you ordered last week from Etailz, you can get Amazon to honor their $431.23 price from the same period. However, you will have to spend at least 40 minutes and push them hard on chat. Phone might be easier if you want to go that route. Good luck!

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream

Last edited by mrsean : 01-14-2014 at 02:25 AM.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #857
Eric2500

Overall are people liking the new Roamio? A couple months ago I upgraded to a TiVo XL Premier 4 tuner... versus the 2 turner... plus added a TiVo Mini in the bedroom. I bought them on eBay and saved a few bucks. NEXT DAY they introduced the Roamio. I was not too happy about it. So what did I do... I entered the TiVo Holiday Cash Sweepstakes hoping I would win one of the three cash prizes so I could buy one.

Guess what... just a few hours ago I got an email stating that I won the $2,500 prize. Naturally I just looked at the email and thought... yeah right... I won... sure... for the 10th time this month I won a contest. But after further review, I'm 95% sure this is legit. All the information in the email is the same as the sweepstakes. A contact phone number to a large company that deals with promotions (info Googled and verified) was given in the email with an extension to a woman I can contact if I would like.

So I either won $2,500... or I'll be playing the fool in Identity Theft II.

If I did win, is the 6 tuner Roamio a nice unit?

I am currently using a MoCA adapter instead of wireless adapters... which baffles me why people use wireless when MoCA is an option.
Eric2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 AM   #858
HF444

I would call TIVO and see what they say about who won their prize.
HF444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #859
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2500 View Post
Overall are people liking the new Roamio? A couple months ago I upgraded to a TiVo XL Premier 4 tuner... versus the 2 turner... plus added a TiVo Mini in the bedroom. I bought them on eBay and saved a few bucks. NEXT DAY they introduced the Roamio. I was not too happy about it. So what did I do... I entered the TiVo Holiday Cash Sweepstakes hoping I would win one of the three cash prizes so I could buy one.

Guess what... just a few hours ago I got an email stating that I won the $2,500 prize. Naturally I just looked at the email and thought... yeah right... I won... sure... for the 10th time this month I won a contest. But after further review, I'm 95% sure this is legit. All the information in the email is the same as the sweepstakes. A contact phone number to a large company that deals with promotions (info Googled and verified) was given in the email with an extension to a woman I can contact if I would like.

So I either won $2,500... or I'll be playing the fool in Identity Theft II.

If I did win, is the 6 tuner Roamio a nice unit?

I am currently using a MoCA adapter instead of wireless adapters... which baffles me why people use wireless when MoCA is an option.
Yes, very happy with Roamio and 6 tuners. I got the Pro - upgraded from TivoHD - and like the disk space w/o having to open the unit to upgrade the drive.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #860
Eric2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Yes, very happy with Roamio and 6 tuners. I got the Pro - upgraded from TivoHD - and like the disk space w/o having to open the unit to upgrade the drive.
Thanks for the response.

I did in fact win the $2,500 prize through their sweepstakes... confirmed through TiVo PR department today. Naturally my wife has other plans ALREADY to fix up our kitchen. This single people... is why you don't get married.

Happy I won though... I never win anything. Guess I can't say that now.
Eric2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #861
OCSMITH
VAWHEELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Mine was cancelled at 1:17pm. I wonder if Etailz shipped any?

EDIT: If you ordered last week from Etailz, you can get Amazon to honor their $431.23 price from the same period. However, you will have to spend at least 40 minutes and push them hard on chat. Phone might be easier if you want to go that route. Good luck!
I did just that yesterday afternoon, took about 15min. (in chat) My new Roamio Pro will be here today...... Thanks anyway
1 Premier XL (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 TiVo Stream (For Sale)
1 Tivo Mini
1 Amazon FireTV
3 Roku 3
OCSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #862
tivaulo

Got my new Roamio Pro from Amazon, thanks for the heads up about etailz!

Now I need to get rid of my premiere+tivo2 setup.

I think I read somewhere (maybe this thread?) that if you have a device active for more than two years that you can buy a lifetime subscription at a big discount ($100 final price?). Is that so? If so, does it work for both premiere and tivo 2?

This way I could pass the older units to (non-tivo) friends and just charge them lifetime subscription.
tivaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #863
dlongnecker

Keeping Up?

How do you all keep up with all these deals? I want to get a Roamio Plus, and of course don't want to pay the $399 list. My local costco's don't have it (at least when I checked Sunday). So is the best buy $389 and the $50 gift card the best deal now?
dlongnecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #864
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivaulo View Post

I think I read somewhere (maybe this thread?) that if you have a device active for more than two years that you can buy a lifetime subscription at a big discount ($100 final price?). Is that so? If so, does it work for both premiere and tivo 2?

This way I could pass the older units to (non-tivo) friends and just charge them lifetime subscription.
You should be able to get $99 lifetime on Premiere and older models, but you have to call to get it, not online.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #865
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2500 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I did in fact win the $2,500 prize through their sweepstakes... confirmed through TiVo PR department today. Naturally my wife has other plans ALREADY to fix up our kitchen. This single people... is why you don't get married.

Happy I won though... I never win anything. Guess I can't say that now.
Congrats dude. You should at least carve out enough to get the base unit. The speed improvement is worth it alone - you could auction off your premier to offset the difference. Honest, you wont regret it - my wife (and kids) love it.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #866
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I did get my $431 amazon order today, got it set up.

After being un-impressed with the fact Verizon apparently wanted me to save some paper that came with the CC with an "activation code" on it so I could do the swap myself, I was very impressed with their support. I was able to get someone on chat at 1:30am and he re-paired the card on the first try with no problems. I have some real nightmarish memories of pairing Comcast CC's.

Now, I just have to transfer 117 shows from my XL4 to the Roamio so I can sell it. I'm not very impressed with that, apparently the only way to automate it is taking an extra hop through a PC? It would be nice to have a "one click" transfer all - as well as the Channel Lineup (with selected channels), Wishlists, Manual Recordings, other stuff I'm probably overlooking, etc.

Regardless, I'm definitely liking the speed and the new UI look.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #867
tivaulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You should be able to get $99 lifetime on Premiere and older models, but you have to call to get it, not online.
Thanks ThAbtO. That makes me wonder if I should install a quiet notebook HD on my premiere and keep it for the bedroom instead of buying a mini...
tivaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #868
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
Now, I just have to transfer 117 shows from my XL4 to the Roamio so I can sell it. I'm not very impressed with that, apparently the only way to automate it is taking an extra hop through a PC? It would be nice to have a "one click" transfer all - as well as the Channel Lineup (with selected channels), Wishlists, Manual Recordings, other stuff I'm probably overlooking, etc.
I used kmttg to port my season passes over- wicked quick & a great program
Then went threw the roamio & transferred each show <sigh>
Currently i'm looking at a bunch of non transferable shows on the premiere & doing the debate, if watching them is worth waiting to sell the premiere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlongnecker
I want to get a Roamio Plus, and of course don't want to pay the $399 list. My local costco's don't have it (at least when I checked Sunday). So is the best buy $389 and the $50 gift card the best deal now?
call around to costco's that are located within 50 miles of a best buy. then call best buy online & get them to pricematch down to $350.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #869
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivaulo View Post

Before spending $99 to put a TiVo 2 on PLS, you might want to check out Craig's List and eBay.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #870
dbenrosen

I was able to get the Roamio Plus a couple of days ago from ABT for $350 by chatting them up and saying I had the email coupon from TiVo for $50 off the Plus. They don't charge tax in my state, free shipping and just 2 days from order to arrival.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote