TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #751
bobrt6676

Called TiVo tonight and said I wanted a Roamio Pro for the 499.99 upgrade price and got it with no hesitation. Originally tried to get a discount code from support to order online (I deleted my e-mail upgrade offer). They actually gave me a code but when entered I got an error "this code has already been redeemed" When I reported that the code did not work, they said that was the only code they had. That I would have to call to get the upgrade price.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #752
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkyss View Post
Am I reading that Best Buy will pricematch PLUS the $50 gift card?

I would think they would price match Costco's $349 for the Plus
Ooh, I forgot about that price.. I did get them to price match Amazon last weekend.. Sure, it was only about $5 off, but that's still $5 less than I would have paid without matching.. and yes, you can still get the $50 BB gift card too.. (no of course it doesn't count to pay for part of that purchase)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #753
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Ooh, I forgot about that price.. I did get them to price match Amazon last weekend.. Sure, it was only about $5 off, but that's still $5 less than I would have paid without matching.. and yes, you can still get the $50 BB gift card too.. (no of course it doesn't count to pay for part of that purchase)
But you could use it toward purchase of a 3TB drive.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #754
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
But you could use it toward purchase of a 3TB drive.
How much is BB charging for 3tb drive? Amazon has it for $128
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #755
laria
Librocubicularist

Best Buy doesn't sell the WD DVR drives, although there are some available on the marketplace. Can you use gift cards for marketplace purchases?

I don't know about any other brands... I always seem to get WD.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #756
marklyn

I just received my 3Tb WD30EURX from Provantage. $121 + $5.50 shipping. Now all I need is my Roamio plus, held up in a UPS trailer in my city. Arggh.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #757
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
How much is BB charging for 3tb drive? Amazon has it for $128
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Best Buy doesn't sell the WD DVR drives, although there are some available on the Marketplace. Can you use gift cards for marketplace purchases?

I don't know about any other brands... I always seem to get WD.
They have the WDBH2D0030HNC-NRSN for $129.99 and the WD30EZRX for $139.99. Both from Best Buy, not the Marketplace. The WD30EZRX is also available from the BB Marketplace for 129.45.

While neither of these drives are AV, I would think that at least the EZRX would be fine.

Whether or not this is the best use of the gift card would depend on a lot of factors. I was merely pointing out that it is a use relevant to the purchase.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #758
jterwelp

I used my Best Buy gift card to buy a Kindle gift card, which I used to toward the purchase of the drive I wanted from Amazon. Best Buy places the Kindle gift cards next to the Kindle devices in their tablet section, not up front next to the other gift cards as one might expect.
jterwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #759
laria
Librocubicularist

Is there something different about a Kindle gift card than a regular Amazon one? Or is it just that they don't sell the Amazon ones?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #760
mjcxp

Quote:
Is there something different about a Kindle gift card than a regular Amazon one? Or is it just that they don't sell the Amazon ones?
Kindle GCs and Amazon GCs are the exact same. I have purchased them several times. It appears Best Buy doesn't sell the regular GCs because Amazon is their competitor. When you read the back of the card it states that they can be used to purchase anything at Amazon.
mjcxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #761
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcxp View Post
Kindle GCs and Amazon GCs are the exact same. I have purchased them several times. It appears Best Buy doesn't sell the regular GCs because Amazon is their competitor. When you read the back of the card it states that they can be used to purchase anything at Amazon.
Ah ok. I will need to do some more number crunching once I find out exactly how many Best Buy gift cards we get for Christmas this year. It might be a better deal than the TiVo email special for a Pro.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #762
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
They have the WDBH2D0030HNC-NRSN for $129.99 and the WD30EZRX for $139.99. Both from Best Buy, not the Marketplace. The WD30EZRX is also available from the BB Marketplace for 129.45.

While neither of these drives are AV, I would think that at least the EZRX would be fine.

Whether or not this is the best use of the gift card would depend on a lot of factors. I was merely pointing out that it is a use relevant to the purchase.
Best Buy does a terrible job providing specs. I don't want anybody to buy a drive without knowing the specs, so I'm providing some Newegg links. This is just a FYI. I'd never recommend the first drive.

That first one you posted a link for is not a Green drive. Only Green drives are recommended for TiVo use, like the second one you posted. There is no gain in performance by using a "mainstream desktop drive", like the first one. It will draw more power, and will run hotter, without giving your TiVo any performance gain (and could, potentially, end up shortening the life of the Drive and power supply of the TiVo, especially the base Roamio).

The only alternative to a WD Green (or Green-AV) drive is a WD Red NAS drive, which despite being called "Red", is actually a green drive. It also is AV-rated, although that is not necessary. The Red NAS line comes with a 3yr warranty, just like a WD Green-AV (AV-GP model).

Here's a Newegg link for that first one you listed, with all the specs, which Best Buy fails to provide: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA24G15X3841

Here's a Newegg link for the second one you listed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136874

Here's the popular AV-GP drives at Newegg, which are the same ones TiVo uses: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2&Tpk=WD30EURX , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6&Tpk=WD30EURS

Here's the Red NAS drive, which I use, at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236344

Newegg is good about providing specs and reviews. I always double-check at western digital's website http://www.wdc.com , before I pull the trigger, in case there is anything wrong, or omitted by a retailer/reseller listing. SATA 2 is all you need, but soon all that you'll be able to get are SATA 3 drives (even TiVo is using a mix of both). If you can get a SATA 2 drive cheaper than SATA 3, there's no performance difference (when used in ANY existing TiVo).

As you stated, AV-rating is not a requirement, nor will you gain anything by having it, other than a 1yr longer warranty, which comes with both WD AV-GP and WD Red NAS drives.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #763
Wingershute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a Roamio Plus and 3 mini's from ABT. It couldn't have been easier. Went into chat with Megan and asked what the best price was for a Roamio Plus and a mini. She quoted $339 and $85 respectively, and no shipping.
She asked to call me direct and we continued the sale from there.
I asked if they were in stock and when could they ship. She said they were in stock and would ship today so I ordered a Plus and 3 minis. Very easy company to deal with.
Hey thanks for the tip. I tried the chat thing even though the Roamio was $399 and the mini $88. I asked for a deal for one of each and was quoted $339 for Roamio and $ 83 for mini. No tax and free ship. cheaper than Tivo even with the special code they sent me for $150 off a Roamio with lifetime.

Roamio Plus Lifetime
Mini Lifetime X 3
2 Premieres Lifetime
TiVo S2 doa
8tb server
Wingershute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #764
jeffosoft

$0 Down

I would like to see the $0 down on the basic model.. that would be awesome.

Tivo and forum users always claim it was a hassle and wont be back.. but It pops up fairly often still... but just not on the Roamio yet

I Gave up on the High end with lifetime a long time ago. I found that the basic models are fine and significantly cheaper.

Last edited by jeffosoft : 12-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.
jeffosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #765
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Best Buy does a terrible job providing specs. I don't want anybody to buy a drive without knowing the specs, so I'm providing some Newegg links. This is just a FYI. I'd never recommend the first drive.

That first one you posted a link for is not a Green drive. Only Green drives are recommended for TiVo use, like the second one you posted. There is no gain in performance by using a "mainstream desktop drive", like the first one. It will draw more power, and will run hotter, without giving your TiVo any performance gain (and could, potentially, end up shortening the life of the Drive and power supply of the TiVo, especially the base Roamio).

The only alternative to a WD Green (or Green-AV) drive is a WD Red NAS drive, which despite being called "Red", is actually a green drive. It also is AV-rated, although that is not necessary. The Red NAS line comes with a 3yr warranty, just like a WD Green-AV (AV-GP model).

Here's a Newegg link for that first one you listed, with all the specs, which Best Buy fails to provide: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA24G15X3841

Here's a Newegg link for the second one you listed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136874

Here's the popular AV-GP drives at Newegg, which are the same ones TiVo uses: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2&Tpk=WD30EURX , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6&Tpk=WD30EURS

Here's the Red NAS drive, which I use, at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236344

Newegg is good about providing specs and reviews. I always double-check at western digital's website http://www.wdc.com , before I pull the trigger, in case there is anything wrong, or omitted by a retailer/reseller listing. SATA 2 is all you need, but soon all that you'll be able to get are SATA 3 drives (even TiVo is using a mix of both). If you can get a SATA 2 drive cheaper than SATA 3, there's no performance difference (when used in ANY existing TiVo).

As you stated, AV-rating is not a requirement, nor will you gain anything by having it, other than a 1yr longer warranty, which comes with both WD AV-GP and WD Red NAS drives.
In keeping with the spirit of the season, I will refrain from responding as I initially was inclined to do, and merely say that I was not recommending anything, merely pointing out that those two WD 3TB are available from BB, which was the subject of that particular discussion and not general drive availability, prices or recommendation.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #766
moolman

Just wanted to post how I just bought my Tivo Roamio Pro today.

Kinda takes a bit of legwork but worth it for me.

Check out one of the deal sites about the ISIS 20% cashback especially if you use T-mobile. ISIS is a mobile payment system like Google Wallet where you tap your phone to pay. If you fund it using an AMEX Serve card, you get 20% cashback up to $200 until January 31, 2014. Took me about 15 minutes to set it all up, link my credit card. Besides that if you use a non-AMEX credit card to fund your SERVE account, you get CC points, miles, or cashback. It does warn you that your CC can consider the charge a cash advance but I have yet to find a CC that does, it goes as a purchase.

I went to CVS bought a gift card for $545. ($500max per gift card, so 2 cards) I used ISIS to pay at the register.
I went to BEST BUY, had them pricematch the Roamio Pro for $499.99 from the website that had the Roamio Plus and Lifetime for $899.99. The Best Buy guy saw it, I told him it was $100 off the machine, $100 off the Lifetime and he did it. This is YMMV cause some people reported that they won't match it I think but I found the website on Tivo.com by googleing Tivo Roamio Discount.
Best Buy has the $50 gift card back and to my surprise, they gave me another $15 gift card, don't know why, the website only says $50 but I didn't complain.

I paid $500 plus tax 9%, so $545, pricematch to Tivo.com
I will get back $109 from ISIS
I got a $50 and $15 Best Buy GC.
$371 for the Tivo Roamio Pro after tax, in my hands.

Good luck to everyone else, this sounds complicated but didn't take me long at all.
moolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #767
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolman View Post
Best Buy has the $50 gift card back and to my surprise, they gave me another $15 gift card, don't know why, the website only says $50 but I didn't complain.
Hrm, I wonder if one of mine is a $15 one. That would be sweet! The guy handed me 2 cards today... I assumed that they were both $25 ones.

I ended up not trying to pricematch anything and got a Plus at Best Buy with our Christmas gift cards ($125 worth) and a 3 TB hard drive at Amazon (got another $25 card there). I plan to use the Best Buy cards I got with the TiVo to do the thing mentioned up-thread, get a Kindle gift card with them to use at Amazon. I didn't wait to order the hard drive because I drop a lot of money at Amazon... it doesn't really matter if I am using the gift card on this or whatever my next order is. Then I used my Amex to pay at Best Buy and will be applying for the "Get $25 when you spend $250 at Best Buy" deal on my Amex account.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #768
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolman View Post
Just wanted to post how I just bought my Tivo Roamio Pro today.

Kinda takes a bit of legwork but worth it for me.

Check out one of the deal sites about the ISIS 20% cashback especially if you use T-mobile. ISIS is a mobile payment system like Google Wallet where you tap your phone to pay. If you fund it using an AMEX Serve card, you get 20% cashback up to $200 until January 31, 2014. Took me about 15 minutes to set it all up, link my credit card. Besides that if you use a non-AMEX credit card to fund your SERVE account, you get CC points, miles, or cashback. It does warn you that your CC can consider the charge a cash advance but I have yet to find a CC that does, it goes as a purchase.

I went to CVS bought a gift card for $545. ($500max per gift card, so 2 cards) I used ISIS to pay at the register.
I went to BEST BUY, had them pricematch the Roamio Pro for $499.99 from the website that had the Roamio Plus and Lifetime for $899.99. The Best Buy guy saw it, I told him it was $100 off the machine, $100 off the Lifetime and he did it. This is YMMV cause some people reported that they won't match it I think but I found the website on Tivo.com by googleing Tivo Roamio Discount.

I paid $500 plus tax 9%, so $545, pricematch to Tivo.com
I will get back $109 from ISIS
I got a $50 and $15 Best Buy GC.
$371 for the Tivo Roamio Pro after tax, in my hands.

Good luck to everyone else, this sounds complicated but didn't take me long at all.
WOW!! That was a sweet deal!!!
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #769
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Hrm, I wonder if one of mine is a $15 one. That would be sweet! The guy handed me 2 cards today... I assumed that they were both $25 ones.
There should be a number on the back of the card you can call to get a balance on the cards.

Quote:
I ended up not trying to pricematch anything and got a Plus at Best Buy with our Christmas gift cards ($125 worth) and a 3 TB hard drive at Amazon (got another $25 card there). I plan to use the Best Buy cards I got with the TiVo to do the thing mentioned up-thread, get a Kindle gift card with them to use at Amazon. I didn't wait to order the hard drive because I drop a lot of money at Amazon... it doesn't really matter if I am using the gift card on this or whatever my next order is. Then I used my Amex to pay at Best Buy and will be applying for the "Get $25 when you spend $250 at Best Buy" deal on my Amex account.
I have stored all my money in Amazon GC codes that I could spend on orders which I paid for using cash only. The cash was turned into GC codes using Coinstar machines.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #770
alyssa

here's why you got a $15 gc at bb

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-p...vCyFSTSxQOwXWQ

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #771
laria
Librocubicularist

Sweet! I love surprise money. I need to check the cards and make sure they are indeed 50 and 15.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #772
moolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Thanks, I saw that online too. Always good to get free extra money. Good thing I didn't procrastinate too much. Ready to go for the cable installer tomorrow.
moolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #773
alyssa

yeah, i'm hoping to get to bb today, do a price match to amazon for the base OTA model which would bring the unit down to $85 + PA tax. My folks have agreed to a tivo, finally.

eta;
success
OTA tivo for $85
As i was being rung up the cashier looked at the screen & call her co-worker over they both shrugged & said i got the two bb gc cards, To which i did a Mocked surprise face & twinkled. They laughed! <grin>

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alyssa : 12-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #774
cdp1276

I didn't want to play all the games to price match as my current S3 is all of a sudden crashing a lot & needing help to get past stuck stages of the reboot cycle so I ordered the Plus today from ABT for $339. Just used the chat feature as mentioned before and they honored that price. Then I will get the AMEX credit of $20.

I hope it is as easy as many of you say to transfer shows from my old S3 when I get this new Roamio Plus to replace it.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #775
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276 View Post
I hope it is as easy as many of you say to transfer shows from my old S3 when I get this new Roamio Plus to replace it.
It may not be possible to transfer shows from your S3 unless it is up and running, and still subscribed to Tivo Service (as well as the newer Tivo). Don't forget to get your S3 to connect to Tivo Service after you have activated and subscribed your new Roamio or they will be able to transfer anything. to Roamio.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #776
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276 View Post
... as my current S3 is all of a sudden crashing a lot & needing help to get past stuck stages of the reboot cycle...

If you can't get your S3 to boot up, or keep it running for any length of time, your going to have problems.
It's probably time for you to open the S3 and check the power supply for capacitor plague.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #777
rmpearl

Just got my Plus last night. Got Best Buy to price match Costco for $349.99. Received $65 in gift cards on top of that.
rmpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #778
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpearl View Post
Just got my Plus last night. Got Best Buy to price match Costco for $349.99. Received $65 in gift cards on top of that.
i been holding out and replacing my elite but with the 65 dollars in gift cards from best buy i think i need to go and do it with the amazon price match to basic.

Already got a plus.
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #779
Mahty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpearl View Post
Which particular Best Buy gave you the price match with the gift cards, if you don't mind my asking? (The one particular Best Buy that I tried for a Costco price match said that their $50 gift card would effectively match the Costco price. I rather get the price match outright and not get stuck with a $50 Best Buy gift card that I'd have to use.)
Mahty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #780
rtkane

I just got a great deal at Best Buy. They matched the Tivo Upgrade offer for $499 on a Roamio Pro and when checking out, the register added in a $50 gift card (as part of their Tivo promotion) and another $15 for spending $100 or more.

Took that Tivo out and put it in the car. Went back in and picked up a Tivo Mini and priced matched it to B&H for $86. Applied the $65 in gift cards brought that down to $21. And then by adding in a $15 item I had to buy anyway, I ended up getting another $15 gift card for spending $100, which I'll use on a future purchase.

Factoring in everything, I ended up paying $505 for a Roamio Pro and a Mini. Of course, I have to add in NJ tax, but figured I'd give the pre-tax prices on everything so you can apply your own tax rate.

$599
-$100 price matche
=$499 for the Roamio Pro
+$99 for Tivo Mini
-$13 price match to B&H
-$50 gift card
-$15 gift card
-$15 gift card
=$505 for both

(for me, it was another $40.95 in tax, so $545.95 out the door, and yes, I'm factoring in that second $15 gift card on a future purchase because I'm always buying something at Best Buy).

One thing to note: Before I went into the store, I did get on chat with Tivo Support to get them to confirm that the offer they currently have for upgrading is $200 off Lifetime Service and the box which splits out to $100 off on each. That seemed to be the key to the Best Buy associate approving the price match.
rtkane is offline   Reply With Quote