TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #721
the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
this is what i did.

I showed them the Weaknees cart with promo code added and they priced match that and gave me the 50 dollar gift card.
When I tried that they wouldn't do it because you had to enter a promo code to get the price, whatever kind of moronic logic that follows. Getting it through Abt was cheaper anyways, just had to wait a few extra days for shipping.
the block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #722
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
. You still gotta admit that there's more "potential" for issues with wifi compared to MoCA and wired Ethernet.
No question about it. Although the fact that most WiFi networks are not setup properly is the cause of most issues people have.

Just last night I was transferring content to my Roamio Basic to take to my GFs house. I noticed that the transfer rates had dropped to around 70Mb/s over wireless instead of the normal 90Mb/s+ speeds. I looked closer today when I got home and I realized that with the addition of several extra IP cameras recently was using up more of the available Wi-Fi bandwidth in that room So I setup another AP to offload some of the bandwidth. Now my transfer rates are back over 90Mb/s. In a typical house there would be only one AP, instead of the several needed and too many devices connected for the wireless bandwidth available. Which would slow down the throughput of the devices. I've seen it many times.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 12-15-2013 at 09:19 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #723
marklyn

Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a Roamio Plus and 3 mini's from ABT. It couldn't have been easier. Went into chat with Megan and asked what the best price was for a Roamio Plus and a mini. She quoted $339 and $85 respectively, and no shipping.
She asked to call me direct and we continued the sale from there.
I asked if they were in stock and when could they ship. She said they were in stock and would ship today so I ordered a Plus and 3 minis. Very easy company to deal with.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #724
NewRoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm4 View Post
Any recent datapoints of pricematching + gift card at Bestbuy?

What are you pricematching against? Amazon has the basic for $150. I have a TiVo email for 20/40/60 off. I'd like to get the Plus down to $350 if it's still possible.
Plus at 349.xx at some Costco Warehouses (members or w/GC), YMMV.
NewRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #725
AdamNJ

a rant about best buy...

1) price match policy
I went to best buy in East Brunswick nj to find and buy an item the bb website had at a low price matching Amazon. I brought the item and printout to customer service and asked for them to match the website price. The girl told me she would have to get approval as they don't typically price match clearance items. Short story is I got it for the price I wanted. But if an item is on their own website and available for free shipping, they should just match it. If they told me no, then bestbuy.com would have gotten the sale not the store.

2) display/promoting TiVo
This is a magnolia store so they have roamio plus/pro in store. None of their magnolia tv's had it on display, they only TiVo related thing in the area was a piece of 8.5 x 11 paper that mentioned the $50 gift card deal.
So then I walked around the store some and found where they had the TiVo stuff stocked and there was a roamio basic on 'display'. It was not hooked up to cable or OTA so there was no signal at all. It was also not hooked up to the internet at all and TiVo service wasn't enabled, so there were error messages abound. It looked like total crap. There is no way that will help to make a sale, if anything it will turn people away.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #726
iceturkee

tivo is still offering existing customers the $499 romaio pro with $399 lifetime until the end of january. i verified that with tivo monday (12/16).
iceturkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #727
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceturkee View Post
tivo is still offering existing customers the $499 romaio pro with $399 lifetime until the end of january. i verified that with tivo monday (12/16).
For clarification, if I order Roamio Plus from a company like ABT and then when I set it up, do I contact TIVO by phone to buy lifetime service using PLSR code, or do I do it all online with Tivo.com?
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin

Last edited by marklyn : 12-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #728
iceturkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
For clarification, if I order Roamio Plus from a company like ABT and then when I set it up, do I contact TIVO by phone to buy lifetime service using PLSR code, or do I do it all online with Tivo.com?
all from tivo as far as i know. i called yesterday to verify if that deal was available and told through the end of january. i asked the csr to note my account i was interested as i can't pay for it until sometime next week. this is for the romaio pro.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #729
Loach

Quote:
You'll want to do it online. If you try to use PLSR over the phone there's a good chance they'll tell you it's expired. Purchase lifetime online and you likely won't have a problem with it.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #730
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
You'll want to do it online. If you try to use PLSR over the phone there's a good chance they'll tell you it's expired. Purchase lifetime online and you likely won't have a problem with it.
I have a tivo account that is still active from a few years ago when I had a tivo unit with DirecTV. Would it be fair to assume that I can login and activate online and use the code when making the payment?
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 12-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #731
Loach

Quote:
I have a tivo account that is still active from a few years ago when I had a tivo unit with DirecTV. Would it be fair to assume that I can login and activate online and use the code when making the payment?
Yes, there should be a field for the promo code on the screen where you enter your payment information.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #732
iceturkee

Quote:
i had directv tivos from years ago. as i remember, they were under my directv account and not tivo.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #733
marklyn

Quote:
i had directv tivos from years ago. as i remember, they were under my directv account and not tivo.
Mine are under tivo.com, I just logged in and it still shows my account info, past order history, etc.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #734
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Just a friendly reminder that PLSR does not work if you buy the TiVo from TiVo directly, and try to use the PLSR code at checkout.

It might work if you buy a monthly plan, when buying directly, but not until you have completed your commitment period, and/or cancel the monthly service from TiVo. Then you might be able to use the PLSR code.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #735
bobrt6676

OK, would there be any reason NOT to get Roamio Plus w/3TB drive (same as Pro) from Weakness for 489.99, no tax, free shipping VS Roamio Pro from Tivo for 499.99 + Tax, free shipping?? Is there anything I'm missing? Seems Weaknees would save me about $75.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #736
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
OK, would there be any reason NOT to get Roamio Plus w/3TB drive (same as Pro) from Weakness for 489.99, no tax, free shipping VS Roamio Pro from Tivo for 499.99 + Tax, free shipping?? Is there anything I'm missing? Seems Weaknees would save me about $75.
Yes, and your warranty would be with WK, or you could purchase from ABT for $339 + $120 for the 3Tb drive saving you another $30 and have a 1Tb drive left over. (You also may find the 3tb drive for less $)

Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #737
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
If you live somewhere with tax, probably not.

For me, the difference is only $10, since TiVo also has free shipping.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #738
mjcxp

I am looking to upgrade my Roamio base to a Pro. Does ABT still have the Pro for $489.99?
mjcxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #739
iceturkee

Quote:
you might not get lifetime for $399. although i didn't ask, it sounded like tivo's deal with $399 lifetime didn't require another tivo unit on your account for the multi unit discount.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #740
tatergator1

Quote:
you might not get lifetime for $399. although i didn't ask, it sounded like tivo's deal with $399 lifetime didn't require another tivo unit on your account for the multi unit discount.
The Tivo deal is a targeted upgrade offer to existing customers. The $499 + $399 deal for the Pro requires a unique promo code, at least when ordering online. Perhaps by calling Tivo Sales directly, you can get in on this offer without actually having anything to upgrade; YMMV.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #741
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The Tivo deal is a targeted upgrade offer to existing customers. The $499 + $399 deal for the Pro requires a unique promo code, at least when ordering online. Perhaps by calling Tivo Sales directly, you can get in on this offer without actually having anything to upgrade; YMMV.
If you are talking about a promo code in an email that TiVo sent you, each one is specific to an existing TiVo, and you have to get the email in the first place. Then the code from the email can be used to get $399 LTS (which you qualified for already, most likely, as long as you have an existing TiVo on your account that you paid full price for LTS or pay full price for monthly service).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 12-18-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 12-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #742
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
If you are talking about a promo code in an email that TiVo sent you, each one is specific to an existing TiVo, and you have to get the email in the first place. Then the code from the email can be used to get $399 LTS (which you qualified for already, most likely, as long as you have an existing TiVo on your account that you paid full price for LTS or pay full price for monthly service).
Yes, but as has been mentioned many times in this thread before the emails even started going out originally, existing customers had/have been getting this offer if they called TiVo without the email. So for customers who have not gotten the special email (yet? I figured everyone would have gotten it by now... I have gotten 3 of them so far), they should be able to get the $499 + $399 deal by just calling them up and asking for it.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #743
iceturkee

Quote:
i already have or did you not notice the part where i called them, asked them if i could get the offer and they said yes. and then they notated my account.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #744
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Just a friendly reminder that PLSR does not work if you buy the TiVo from TiVo directly, and try to use the PLSR code at checkout.
Not sure why my post was quoted as I never said that would work. The post I was responding to was regarding a possible purchase from ABT, not Tivo.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #745
tatergator1

Finally decide to pull the trigger on the Plus from Abt. I was still able to get it for $339 (and another $20 off via AmEx for $319 shipped). As was mentioned by another user and from my own chat session, it seems the sale is technically over, but they "can still honor the $339 price." If you've been on the fence, it's likely this deal will be gone very soon.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #746
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Finally decide to pull the trigger on the Plus from Abt. I was still able to get it for $339 (and another $20 off via AmEx for $319 shipped). As was mentioned by another user and from my own chat session, it seems the sale is technically over, but they "can still honor the $339 price." If you've been on the fence, it's likely this deal will be gone very soon.
Too bad I live in Illinois. Where Abt is, Cook County tax there is like 8.75%.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream

Last edited by dmk1974 : 12-19-2013 at 07:54 AM.
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #747
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Not sure why my post was quoted as I never said that would work. The post I was responding to was regarding a possible purchase from ABT, not Tivo.
It was intended for the benefit of those who may have just been coming into the thread for the first time. The PLSR code has often come up as being "no longer available", or "not working", when people have tried it with a direct purchase, and not realizing the reason why (and not just in this thread).

I'd never expect anybody just coming into this thread, to actually read every post, just to know all the specifics and variables.

I'll try to not quote any posts, and instead just post a quote-less reminder, on such things, in the future, but MMMV on that.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #748
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
Too bad I live in Illinois. Cook County tax there is like 8.75%.
Here in Oakland, CA, its 9% and the next town (about 8 miles away) over is 9.25%.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #749
c3
TiVoholic

9.5% in Union City, CA, and the highest in CA is 10%.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #750
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
9.5% in Union City, CA, and the highest in CA is 10%.
I guess where I'm at in Illinois I have a bargain at 6.75%...(Illinois 6.25% and East Moline .50% -- we have no county sales tax)

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote