TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #691
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturner23 View Post
Does anyone have any info on SellMoreTivo.com? Someone posted a promo code from this website on reddit a couple days ago so I Googled them and their website says they are offering the following discounts on hardware and service plans:

Roamio Plus: $299.99 + $9.99/month service
Roamio Pro for $399.99 + $9.99/month service
Mini's for $49.99 + $5.99/month service.

The prices (especially the discounted service) make me think this is a scam but I haven't seen this website mentioned in this thread and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them.
This is only applicable to people who work in some form of retail that sell Tivo's and the service plans are valid until such time you no longer work for said retail company. Doesn't apply to regular consumers.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #692
tturner23

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
This is only applicable to people who work in some form of retail that sell Tivo's and the service plans are valid until such time you no longer work for said retail company. Doesn't apply to regular consumers.
Interesting... So hypothetically, if I had a friend who worked for something like Best Buy, he could take the survey or whatever and give me the code?
tturner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #693
marklyn

Quote:
Interesting... So hypothetically, if I had a friend who worked for something like Best Buy, he could take the survey or whatever and give me the code?
I suppose so but if you friend tires of BB and leaves, then one day (not sure how), your lifetime sub may disappear. Plus I think it'd be a hassle since you'd probably have to sign up under his/her name since the code is tied to how he/she registered to get it. I'd think this would be too much of a hassle and risk.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #694
tturner23

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I suppose so but if you friend tires of BB and leaves, then one day (not sure how), your lifetime sub may disappear. Plus I think it'd be a hassle since you'd probably have to sign up under his/her name since the code is tied to how he/she registered to get it. I'd think this would be too much of a hassle and risk.
I'll jump through some serious hoops to save a couple hundred bucks. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #695
palover

Quote:
I'll jump through some serious hoops to save a couple hundred bucks. Thanks for the info.
If the subscription were to end with the person's employment (BB is not usually career employment), it would be a hoop not worth jumping through.
palover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #696
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Just because I purchased a Roamio for a few $ less does make the unit stolen, under the law Best Buy could not come back to me as I purchased from a web site that used PayPal as payment, it is not up to me to vet any or all web sites I use, PayPal on the other hand should (or may have) been doing this.
I agree that we don't know that the unit is stolen. In the scenario I posted (a company laundering its stolen credit card numbers by getting paid for TiVos via Paypal from third parties), the merchandise is stolen. In all jurisdictions, stolen merchandise is returned to the user. In some jurisdictions, unknowing possession of stolen merchandise is a crime (eg Ohio).

Irrespective of whether you get your money back or not from Paypal, in the scenario I posted you would be receiving a stolen TiVo. I personally prefer not to buy stolen merchandise, even if it's cheap.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #697
tturner23

Quote:
Originally Posted by palover View Post
If the subscription were to end with the person's employment (BB is not usually career employment), it would be a hoop not worth jumping through.
I am pretty sure once you buy lifetime (even at the reduced price) you would keep lifetime even after leaving the retailer. I assume (dangerous, I know) that the part about the rate reverting to the regular price would only apply to those that choose the monthly service from the get go. If I were to pay them a couple hundred of dollars for lifetime and then a month later, quit the retailer, it would be crazy for them to cancel the lifetime and switch it to monthly. What would they ask next... For me to pay them the difference between a full retain box and the discounted box? I don't think so.

But who knows with TiVo these days.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #698
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I agree that we don't know that the unit is stolen. In the scenario I posted (a company laundering its stolen credit card numbers by getting paid for TiVos via Paypal from third parties), the merchandise is stolen. In all jurisdictions, stolen merchandise is returned to the user. In some jurisdictions, unknowing possession of stolen merchandise is a crime (eg Ohio).

Irrespective of whether you get your money back or not from Paypal, in the scenario I posted you would be receiving a stolen TiVo. I personally prefer not to buy stolen merchandise, even if it's cheap.
Your post talks like I know that the TiVo is stolen, and you but not I would prefer not to buy stolen merchandise, even if it's cheap, I don't want to purchase any stolen merchandise but if you purchase anything from E-Bay that item could be stolen also, it hard for me to think anybody would know if something purchased off the web is stolen or not, I don't know the law in OH but I am sure if you purchase something in a normal way (and using PayPal is a normal way) you can't be charged with having stolen merchandise, if you go into a mom and pop say bicycle store (in OH) and purchase a new bicycle that unknown to you was stolen, you could be charged with a crime in OH!!, that not a reasonable outcome from such a normal transaction, but I don't know how that law is applied in OH.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #699
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Your post talks like I know that the TiVo is stolen, and you but not I would prefer not to buy stolen merchandise, even if it's cheap, I don't want to purchase any stolen merchandise but if you purchase anything from E-Bay that item could be stolen also, it hard for me to think anybody would know if something purchased off the web is stolen or not, I don't know the law in OH but I am sure if you purchase something in a normal way (and using PayPal is a normal way) you can't be charged with having stolen merchandise, if you go into a mom and pop say bicycle store (in OH) and purchase a new bicycle that unknown to you was stolen, you could be charged with a crime in OH!!, that not a reasonable outcome from such a normal transaction, but I don't know how that law is applied in OH.
Think this might be relevant:
http://www.jud.ct.gov/ji/criminal/part9/9.1-15.htm
You can draw your own conclusions as to what that means to your situation. I'm not judging or commenting on anyone's actions, motivations or legal liabilities.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #700
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Think this might be relevant:
http://www.jud.ct.gov/ji/criminal/part9/9.1-15.htm
You can draw your own conclusions as to what that means to your situation. I'm not judging or commenting on anyone's actions, motivations or legal liabilities.
Good post, note the part that said (to the jury I guess)

It would not be enough for you to conclude that the defendant exercised poor judgment when (he/she) acquired the property or that (he/she) was careless and should have suspected that the property was stolen. There must have been an actual belief in the defendant's mind that the property was, or probably was, stolen.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #701
clorox

I just don't understand why anyone would even bother ordering a Roamio Plus from Sophiamart.com or that other new site when you can get it for $1 cheaper from ABT as long as you don't live in IL, WI, IN, or MI (where they charge tax).

On a related note, I got my Roamio from Abt for $319 (after $20 Amex benefit) and my Mini from Amazon for $61 (after $25 Amex benefit), and I was able to sell 2 2-tuner, 45 hour Lifetime Premieres and a wireless N adapter on eBay for $600 AFTER all of the eBay/PayPal fees.

I think now is a decent time to be selling Premieres since who knows how long they'll last and they pull in a decent price right now (After 3 years I've been getting worried one would break down with a non hard drive issue and be either a costly replacement or worthless).

So I'm getting:
$600 in cash

Paying:
$380 for the devices
$400 lifetime on the Roamio
Lifetime on Mini pays for itself in less than 2.5 years because I don't have to paying $5/month on Fios for a second cable card.

Net cost is about $180 (a little more when I add taxes to the service cost and if I present value the savings on the one fewer cable card), but I'm also getting a new device that ought to be worth a few hundred bucks if I decide to sell it in a few years!
clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #702
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Good post, note the part that said (to the jury I guess)

It would not be enough for you to conclude that the defendant exercised poor judgment when (he/she) acquired the property or that (he/she) was careless and should have suspected that the property was stolen. There must have been an actual belief in the defendant's mind that the property was, or probably was, stolen.
Yes, that is the law in Connecticut (your state); it's different in different jurisdictions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_of_stolen_goods
Quote:
All US states also have laws regarding receipt of stolen property; however, there usually is no minimum dollar amount in many jurisdictions, and, of course, the requirement in Federal law regarding interstate commerce does not apply. Also, in many states (Ohio, for example), the burden to prove criminal intent is not as stringent or is nonexistent.[5] This means that one can be charged with the crime - usually a minor degree of felony - even if the person did not know the item in question was stolen.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #703
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by clorox View Post
I just don't understand why anyone would even bother ordering a Roamio Plus from Sophiamart.com or that other new site when you can get it for $1 cheaper from ABT as long as you don't live in IL, WI, IN, or MI (where they charge tax).

On a related note, I got my Roamio from Abt for $319 (after $20 Amex benefit) and my Mini from Amazon for $61 (after $25 Amex benefit), and I was able to sell 2 2-tuner, 45 hour Lifetime Premieres and a wireless N adapter on eBay for $600 AFTER all of the eBay/PayPal fees.
Not everybody can get the AX benefit

Old 12-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #704
Mr.Broncosfan
Mesa, AZ

Just bought a Plus from ABT for $339. In live chat, they said the sale was over, but they would still honor it. The lady called me and we completed the order.

On a side note, I received an email promo from Tivo for the Plus w/lifetime for $749. I called Tivo to see if they would match ABT and then I would use the PLSR promo code for liftetime at $399. They wouldn't match ABT, but he said he would throw in the MoCA adapter for free. Doesn't it already come MoCA ready?
Mr.Broncosfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #705
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Plus has built in MoCa but unless you're on FIOS you'll need a MoCa adapter at the router too. (The FIOS router has MoCa built in)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #706
Mr.Broncosfan
Mesa, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Plus has built in MoCa but unless you're on FIOS you'll need a MoCa adapter at the router too. (The FIOS router has MoCa built in)
Gotcha. I don't want to derail this thread, but I can just use the wifi to stream everthing and for updates to the program guide, correct? MoCA just makes it faster?
Mr.Broncosfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #707
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Not if he has the plus near the router. Then he could just plug it into the router via Ethernet and use the plus to create the MoCA bridge.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #708
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Broncosfan View Post
Gotcha. I don't want to derail this thread, but I can just use the wifi to stream everthing and for updates to the program guide, correct? MoCA just makes it faster?
........and way more reliable , especially with streaming and downloading.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #709
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Broncosfan View Post
If your WiFi network is setup properly then it will work great. From a user perspective with my Roamios and Minis I see zero difference between WiFi, MoCA and Ethernet. The only time I'll see a difference is with the transfer speeds to my TiVo Dekstop machine from my Roamio Pro since that will hit around 180Mb/s. With my Roamio Basic I'll get 95Mb/s transfer rates whether I use WiFi or Ethernet.
But again from a user perspective,(ie, streaming to the Minis, watching content between TiVos, and using apps) I see no difference.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #710
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If your WiFi network is setup properly then it will work great. From a user perspective with my Roamios and Minis I see zero difference between WiFi, MoCA and Ethernet. The only time I'll see a difference is with the transfer speeds to my TiVo Dekstop machine from my Roamio Pro since that will hit around 180Mb/s. With my Roamio Basic I'll get 95Mb/s transfer rates whether I use WiFi or Ethernet. But again from a user perspective,(ie, streaming to the Minis, watching content between TiVos, and using apps) I see no difference.
. You still gotta admit that there's more "potential" for issues with wifi compared to MoCA and wired Ethernet.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #711
alyssa

Amazon has dropped the price of the Pro to $569.53

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-R...7023639&sr=1-5

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #712
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Amazon has dropped the price of the Pro to $569.53

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-R...7023639&sr=1-5
You can get a Plus from Weaknees with a 3TB drive(same as Pro) the only difference is the nameplate (PRO vs. Plus) for 489.99. free shipping. Code: RPLUS3
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #713
AdamNJ

FYI, the ABT.com deal of the Roamio Plus for $339 still works through chat / phone call. I paid with amex as well to try getting the $20 cash back. This one is destined for a friend who will be new to Tivo.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #714
johnm4

Any recent datapoints of pricematching + gift card at Bestbuy?

What are you pricematching against? Amazon has the basic for $150. I have a TiVo email for 20/40/60 off. I'd like to get the Plus down to $350 if it's still possible.
johnm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #715
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm4 View Post
I'd like to get the Plus down to $350 if it's still possible.
See my post directly above yours. U can get it for 339 from abt.com.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #716
johnm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
See my post directly above yours. U can get it for 339 from abt.com.
$350 - $50 giftcard = $300 + tax net cost
johnm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #717
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm4 View Post
$350 - $50 giftcard = $300 + tax net cost
I don't recall any seller publicly advertising the Plus for 350, which is what you would need for BB to price match. I also don't think anyone here was successful in getting BB to price match the Tivo email, since it doesn't show the deal on the tivo website.

Also unless you live in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, or Michigan, then ABT means no sales tax and free shipping.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #718
TomJHansen

Costco has the Plus for $349

Just saw a new display in Mesa, Arizona with the Roamio Plus for $349.00. I might get it from them because it will be eligible for the Costco return policy. I had an old S2 from Costco that I had for about 3 years and then returned it for a newer one and got back $200 difference on the price drop.
TomJHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #719
NewRoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I agree it seems a little misleading, but I see in your picture of the offer from TiVo on your tv that there's an arrow pointing down that signifies there's more to the message below. What does it say further down in the message?
It is an available offer to transfer monthly service plans to one of the three Roamio models (Pro purchase price is "further down") purchased directly from TiVo (not at retail).

The "value proposition" of TiVo technology, pricing models and technical support however continues to fall behind
NewRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #720
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
I don't recall any seller publicly advertising the Plus for 350, which is what you would need for BB to price match. I also don't think anyone here was successful in getting BB to price match the Tivo email, since it doesn't show the deal on the tivo website.

Also unless you live in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, or Michigan, then ABT means no sales tax and free shipping.
this is what i did.

I showed them the Weaknees cart with promo code added and they priced match that and gave me the 50 dollar gift card.
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote