TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #451
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
yeah all best buy's stop price matching from Thanksgiving to The tuesday after. so they dont get screwed for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
Unfortunately, if you look at today's and recent past prices, on TiVos from Amazon, and hard drives from anywhere, they pretty much all end MONDAY Dec 2. Weaknees Black Friday deals are today only.

Very big possibility, that those who waited to buy, hoping for best deals, or hoping TiVo would announce some super-secret today-only deals, and/or if they wanted to go for a Best Buy price match, are going to be very disappointed, and mad that they waited (Like me, for example).

If it's so well-known about not price-matching Black Friday to Cyber Monday, I'm surprised nobody said a word, until today.

If I had known, I'd have made sure to mention it here (likely, several times), for those who didn't know, didn't remember, or live in a cave/under a rock...

I had several candidates to try and get Best Buy to price-match, today. Big waste of time and printer paper/ink, now that this comes to light...

Also, Monday Dec 2, is the last day of the Best Buy gift cards... Excuse me, while I go make a noose (just kidding).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-29-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added a few lines
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #452
the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Unfortunately, if you look at today's and recent past prices, on TiVos from Amazon, and hard drives from anywhere, they pretty much all end MONDAY Dec 2. Weaknees Black Friday deals are today only.

Very big possibility, that those who waited to buy, hoping for best deals, or hoping TiVo would announce some super-secret today-only deals, and/or if they wanted to go for a Best Buy price match, are going to be very disappointed, and mad that they waited (Like me, for example).

If it's so well-known about not price-matching Black Friday to Cyber Monday, I'm surprised nobody said a word, until today.

If I had known, I'd have made sure to mention it here (likely, several times), for those who didn't know, didn't remember, or live in a cave/under a rock...

I had several candidates to try and get Best Buy to price-match, today. Big waste of time and printer paper/ink, now that this comes to light...

Also, Monday Dec 2, is the last day of the Best Buy gift cards... Excuse me, while I go make a noose (just kidding).
I'm in the same boat

Had I known about the price matching blackout I would have bought it Wednesday. From what I'm reading it seems pretty hit or miss on which stores are still doing price matches.
the block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #453
lentiman
Ocassional User

Yeah, but if you are just pricmatching the gift card is the only thing you're missing. TiVo's promo prices are good through January-ish.
lentiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #454
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post
Yeah, but if you are just pricmatching the gift card is the only thing you're missing. TiVo's promo prices are good through January-ish.
It currently breaks down to this:

Amazon's base Roamio price: $149.99 was = to BB price match of $50.00 (plus the prior ability to maybe get $50 GC)

TiVo's Roamio price discounts, adjusted to remove the TiVo service:

Base: $25 off (this is $25 less than $50, & bye-bye $50 Best Buy gift card) So, bye-bye at least $75 in savings.
Plus: $50 off
Pro:$100 off

It's a store by store matter, if they will even touch this. Valid arguments against are:

1. TiVo's promo email is a BUNDLE, including TiVo service. So, it's not the exact SAME PRODUCT, if they go by the letter of their law (Best Buy).

2. Disseminating how it breaks down, based on the email promo's fine print, is not obvious. Why take the customer's word for it?

3. Best Buy makes no mention of matching a manufacturer's price (probably so they can decide if they will, or won't, per case, per store, etc.)

4. It's a personalized, non-transferrable, offer for (apparently only some) current TiVo subscribers only, not a public advertisement.

Also, TiVo's email promo, makes it appear like more of a discount, than it is, when you further look at the LT service pricing, and realize you get the same price as using MSD, or the PLSR code, and the fine print specifically states you can't use MSD or any other promotions in conjunction with the offer.

I NEED the ability to fallback to OTA, so the Plus and Pro aren't an option for me.

TiVo sent out a more recent "sweepstakes" email that gives you a personal discount code, if you enter the sweepstakes, that breaks down this way:

Base: $20 off
Plus: $40 off
Pro: $60 off

Check your spam filters if you didn't receive it.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-30-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: added a few lines
Old 11-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #455
headless chicken

Quote:

I don't see anything about the GC deal expiring 12/2 on the website. Are you checking the circular?

In any case, why not buy now and get the GC, and then price match with print out after 12/2? If you buy with Discover, they have a low price guarantee and will honor the lowest price for the product by crediting a refund for the difference up to 90 days after the purchase. Other credit cards may have a similar policy, but I'm not sure.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #456
Burnout143

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I placed an order with them, got a UPS tracking number, Roamio + at $320.99 paid using PayPal VIA a credit card should provide good safety, the unit is being shipped out of OH and I will get it on Dec 3, will let you know what I do get. So far it does not look like a scam, but the money did go out of the USA (according to PayPal).
Hey man hows it going? Just want to know how things are going with your purchase. I too bought a TV from them at a very good price, and i too am wondering if it was a scam or not. I used Paypal too so, i should be covered if it a scam. i would however like to avoid going through all of that. Please let me know how things turn out.
Burnout143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #457
Burnout143

I hope not
Old 11-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #458
Burnout143

Dagnabit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midson View Post
Scam site. Only 90 days old and based in Panama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
Just noticed a $320 price on a Roamio Plus, but I've never heard of this online company before.
http://www.sophiamart.com/tivo-roami...dvr-tcd848000/

Just read this is likely a scam site, so I'd recommend staying away.
Hope not as i bought a T.V from them. They had PayPal so i felt alittle better as to buying one. I also sent them an email and they responded.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #459
the block

I just tried best buy. They were willing to price match, but would not price match my online chat with Abt, or my shopping cart at weaknees because neither price could be confirmed on either website. He wouldn't do the chat with Abt to confirm, and weakness requires you to enter the coupon code for it to work and he wouldn't accept that. All in all a pretty frustrating day. I'll probably just order from Abt now.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #460
Bluesfan77

For those price matching...what are you price matching to? I'm looking at getting the Roamio Plus.
Bluesfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #461
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesfan77 View Post
For those price matching...what are you price matching to? I'm looking at getting the Roamio Plus.
Roamio Plus is 349.99 at Costco and via Tivo directly.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #462
the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
They probably won't price match costco because it's a club that requires membership. Also good luck finding documentation from TiVo that they are sale for 349.99. I can get them to acknowledge it over the phone but they wouldn't give me anything in writing I could bring with me some where.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #463
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Are you guys finding TiVo in Costco? I can't see any listings on their website.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #464
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Are you guys finding TiVo in Costco? I can't see any listings on their website.
I can tell you from experience that what costco has in stores is not usually on their website.

Which is something I hate for stores that do that. Instead of driving me to go to the store, it drives me away to buy elsewhere.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #465
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
I can tell you from experience that what costco has in stores is not usually on their website.

Which is something I hate for stores that do that. Instead of driving me to go to the store, it drives me away to buy elsewhere.
That's annoying for me, as I have a membership but we have no store nearby.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #466
Pikeshadow

I was able to get BB to price-match Amazon yesterday afternoon...the gift-card didn't pop up until after I swiped my card, but then the guy says "...and you get a $50 gift-card with the purchase of a Tivo."
So boom, got the deal! of course it's more like a $42 deal since I had to pay sales tax. Then I take another tax hit when I use the gift card. But all said and done, It's at least a $35 better deal than buying through Amazon.
I actually called tivo before heading to the store to see if they'd match anyone. They put me on hold for a minute which made me somewhat hopeful, but then the girl came back and said the $25 discount is the only offer they are currently giving.
Pikeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #467
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Best Buy's Low Price Guarantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Buy
If you find a lower price on a qualifying product at a local retail competitor's store or shipped from and sold by a designated major online retailer, we will match the price. At the time of purchase, we will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor's store or shipped from and sold by a designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Rakuten.com Shopping, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.comŽ. We will also match prices post purchase if we lower our price within 15 days of your purchase.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #468
Ky_Shag
Shaggy Dog

http://www.sophiamart.com/tivo-roamio-dvr-tcd846500/
144.99 no tax no shipping
Ky_Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #469
headless chicken

Quote:
1. If the price match difference is $50, some stores will claim the $50 gift card is the same as a price match. So, they will only ring it up at their full current price (because they know the gift card is automatically added, once you PAY, either full, or a price-matched, price). I'm not sure what they do if the price-match you ask for is greater, or less than, $50.

2. People who go back and ask for the difference, after either getting the price match (before gift cards were introduced), or the gift card, but no price match, are being turned-away, being told they got what they were entitled to.
Of course YMMV, but it's been done successfully by many people on slickdeals.

Quote:
Not everyone has a Discover card, nor does everybody have any other kind of card.
Obviously. I was just letting you know that price matching can be done via credit card post-hoc with Discover, and perhaps with other companies as well. That's something I learned only recently myself, and wanted to share since you were bemoaning the loss of a potential deal.

Quote:

In the future, headless chicken, please take the time to read what has already been posted, before asking questions that have already been answered. Wanting clarifications is all fine and well. The former matter, will lead to people just glossing right over your posts, and annoy some a heck of a lot more, than the tiny bit I am. Again, please consider I still answered your questions, before you take things the wrong way, and/or lash-out at me.
Judging by the long diatribe you seem more than a tiny bit annoyed, but it's no skin off my back. I took the time to share what info on deals I had. Prefacing your post with "no offense" and then spewing vitriol is just silly. If you want to skim over my posts, please do by all means. I'll make it a point to do the same. It's a shame there's no "ignore this user" function here.

I've read the relevant parts of this thread and post in existing topics before creating a new thread if applicable. Obviously with BF and Cyber Monday, jumping on deals is a time sensitive matter.

Last edited by headless chicken : 12-01-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #470
Keen

Quote:

How's that, it's right there in Best Buy's PM policy:
Quote:
The Guarantee is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest and does not apply to: ... items for sale Thanksgiving Day through 11:59 p.m. on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #471
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky_Shag View Post
They also have the Roamio + for $320.99 that I ordered, I will have my 10lb package from them on Dec 2nd, you pay using PayPal (and I pay PayPal using AX for extra safety) I will let you all know what's in the package when I get it Tuesday.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #472
midson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
They also have the Roamio + for $320.99 that I ordered, I will have my 10lb package from them on Dec 2nd, you pay using PayPal (and I pay PayPal using AX for extra safety) I will let you all know what's in the package when I get it Tuesday.
I REALLY hope this is a legitimate shopping site, but I have my doubts. The website is well done (no grammatical errors, easy browsing), but remember the old adage, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. This beats the best price on a pro by quite a bit; the MO of these sites is to hook you with a low price. I almost was taken by a similar site buying running shoes. They were $50 cheaper than anywhere else. It didn't feel right so I backed out. I was glad I did because I later found out it was a scam site. Please let us know if you receive your product. And please be honest, because many of us here will likely order if it's indeed legit.
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #473
KevinG

I also hope it is legit, but this makes me think it isn't:

http://www.scamadviser.com/is-sophia...fake-site.html

More details:
http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/sophiamart.com
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #474
Toshirick

Just got back from best buy in Rancho Cucamonga and they price matched and received the gift card.

S2 Lifetime
Toshirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #475
Carlos_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
I am logged into my Tivo account and it it showing me the Roamio Plus for $399. I even added it to the cart to see if the price changed and I'm still seeing the same price.

Where are you seeing the Roamio Plus for $349.99 on Tivo's website?
Carlos_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #476
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
I am logged into my Tivo account and it it showing me the Roamio Plus for $399. I even added it to the cart to see if the price changed and I'm still seeing the same price.

Where are you seeing the Roamio Plus for $349.99 on Tivo's website?
You have to call Tivo sales. Pricing is available to current customers.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #477
johnm4

Best Buy is offering $10 savings code per $100 spent for online orders with in-store pickup through Monday 12/2. Code is valid 12/9 - 12/24. Max $50.

Details: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-p...at288300050007

They have the Roamio w/ $50 giftcards listed as separate items, all at MSRP. You would need to find some fillers to do:

Basic: $199 + filler - $50 giftcard - $20 savings code = about $130 +tax
Plus: $399 + filler - $50 giftcard - $40 savings code = $310 + tax
Pro: $599 + filler - $50 giftcard - $50 savings code = $500 + tax

Tax will be based on MSRP + filler price.

If you have Amex, stack with Amex Sync $25 off $250 at Best Buy.
johnm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #478
bootman_head_fi

What is the Costco item number for the pro?
Easy to call your local store with the number before heading out.
They will also look up the item number and tell you what stores have them.
bootman_head_fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #479
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I'm going to suggest that anybody thinking of taking a voyage to any retail store(s), looking for price matches, take the time to review, and print, the store(s) policies BEFORE leaving the house, for these reasons:

1. Since these policies (as they do state), are subject to change at any time, for any reason, without advance notice, it just makes sense to do so.

2. If you don't, then post about not getting what you went out for, you make an easy target for people who like to take cheap shots, by posting the policy as it currently stands (which may have been different the day, or even hours, before).

Happy deal hunting!

Last edited by nooneuknow : 12-02-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: For the continued continuity of the thread topic.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #480
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by midson View Post
I REALLY hope this is a legitimate shopping site, but I have my doubts. The website is well done (no grammatical errors, easy browsing), but remember the old adage, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. This beats the best price on a pro by quite a bit; the MO of these sites is to hook you with a low price. I almost was taken by a similar site buying running shoes. They were $50 cheaper than anywhere else. It didn't feel right so I backed out. I was glad I did because I later found out it was a scam site. Please let us know if you receive your product. And please be honest, because many of us here will likely order if it's indeed legit.
I will know this Tuesday, but using PayPal VIA AX if it is a scam I can get my money back. They did give me a UPS tracking number and the 9.2 Lb box (that I hope is a new Roamio +) was shipped from OH.

This is from the UPS web sight

Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 12/03/2013
Approximate Delivery Time:
Approximate Delivery Time
An Approximate Delivery Time is an estimated delivery time. This time is not guaranteed and may vary based on your driver's workload, weather, or traffic conditions.

1:15 PM - 5:15 PM
Last Location:
Arrived - Shrewsbury, MA, United States, Sunday, 12/01/2013
Special Instructions:

The driver may not leave this package without your authorization.Authorize Shipment Release
Shipment Release Authorized
Cancel Shipment Release Authorization
Leave At:
Side Door

Last edited by lessd : 12-02-2013 at 12:51 AM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote