TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #391
Mr.Broncosfan
Mesa, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
What this said is what to do. Last night when i was turned down i made the mistake of bringing up the $50 gift card

i just got a pricematch with the plus to weakness. I printed out the checkout page that shows the price match. Then grabbed a Roamio plus and went to CS counter. She checked with manager to confirm she can price match. Once they said yes she rang it up. during the transaction she told me "you also get a $50 gift card for best buy".
then i paid.

Then i asked her if i can use the $50 gift card and price match a tivo mini with amazon.com. She said yes. So i went and got a mini and then she price matched and used my gift card for the mini.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! hope this helps someone!
Did BB charge for tax? Does weaknees?
Mr.Broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #392
yukit

Just picked up a Plus at Costco: $350. It is the same offer I got from Tivo.

Looked for a 3TB green drive at Frys (Sunnyvale, CA) but they had none in stock. I was hoping to be able to setup the new drive tonight. I have to order one online get one in time for the holidays.

I am hoping for a better deal around Black Fri.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #393
Mr.Broncosfan
Mesa, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
What this said is what to do. Last night when i was turned down i made the mistake of bringing up the $50 gift card

i just got a pricematch with the plus to weakness. I printed out the checkout page that shows the price match. Then grabbed a Roamio plus and went to CS counter. She checked with manager to confirm she can price match. Once they said yes she rang it up. during the transaction she told me "you also get a $50 gift card for best buy".
then i paid.

Then i asked her if i can use the $50 gift card and price match a tivo mini with amazon.com. She said yes. So i went and got a mini and then she price matched and used my gift card for the mini.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! hope this helps someone!
No love for me. Went to BB with the quote from weaknees. They would only either offer the same deal but with no $50 g/c, or I could pay their price and get the g/c. Off to another BB.
Mr.Broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #394
videojanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Broncosfan View Post
Off to another BB.
That would be my suggestion -- it worked for me. I went to two different locations and had two completely different experiences. Should've gone to the second place first -- but I always get things backwards. You should see me with USB plugs -- never, ever have it oriented the right way first!
videojanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #395
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Broncosfan View Post
No love for me. Went to BB with the quote from weaknees. They would only either offer the same deal but with no $50 g/c, or I could pay their price and get the g/c. Off to another BB.
I think the Giftcard shows up either way so don't mention the giftcard. Just have them pricematch when they ring it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #396
atseng

For those that are interested in Roamio Plus, make sure you check out your Amex Offer. For those with $20 back when spending $200+ from abt electronics, many have been able to get the Roamio Plus for $339 with free shipping.

So if you don't have to pay tax buying from Abt and get the Amex offer, you end up getting the Roamio Plus for $319, which is cheaper if your state tax is higher than 5.4% (e.g. NY/CA, etc.), not to mention that you don't have to deal with figuring out what to buy with the $50 gift card.
atseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #397
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by atseng View Post
For those that are interested in Roamio Plus, make sure you check out your Amex Offer. For those with $20 back when spending $200+ from abt electronics, many have been able to get the Roamio Plus for $339 with free shipping.

So if you don't have to pay tax buying from Abt and get the Amex offer, you end up getting the Roamio Plus for $319, which is cheaper if your state tax is higher than 5.4% (e.g. NY/CA, etc.), not to mention that you don't have to deal with figuring out what to buy with the $50 gift card.
it was easy to figure out what to buy with the 50 gift card. a mini!!!
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #398
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I think the Giftcard shows up either way so don't mention the giftcard. Just have them pricematch when they ring it up.
Yes, this ^^^

The gift card is AUTOMATIC (when one is applicable), once they have price-matched another seller they match, have charged your credit/debit card, or you have given them cash, and they have accepted it.

Some store managers are aware of this "double-dipping", as I heard it called, at the first store I went to, and is well-known at stores with managers who know about the gift card. A manager, or possibly, anybody with a register override key, will always be a part of this.

The six magic ingredients are in this this sauce:

1. ONLY ask for a price match, DO NOT say anything about any gift card, ask questions about gift cards, try to verify one applies, or otherwise bring up the subject. Just play dumb.

2. Make sure you have a (just printed, so it is current) printout, clearly showing the price you want matched, is from a store (online, or another physical store are irrelevant), which they price-match by policy.

3. Get them to get the total you are to pay price to show the correct, price-matched, price (factoring in it will include sales tax).

4. PAY QUICKLY, AND GET THE TRANSACTION TO GO THROUGH.

5. Do all the above, and if nobody meddles, if a gift card is applicable (as in, still a CURRENT store promo), the register will prompt them to give you one. As long as their register says you are due one, they CAN'T refuse to give it to you, at that point.

6. If you are dealing with an Amazon price-match, make sure your screen printout is clearly showing a model sold directly through Amazon, NOT A 3rd-PARTY seller on amazon. The same goes for any other re-seller they match, in that they need to be sure they aren't matching a 3rd-party, instead.

Keep in mind that the gift-card is transferrable to anybody you want to give it to, as well as that they have to accept it as in-store legal tender (treat it as any other valid form of payment), meaning if you have somebody else at the store with you, you can give them the card, and they can use it to buy anything, including another TiVo. I suggest that the other person use the same guidelines above, as well as keeping the gift-card out-of-sight, until the transaction has ben authorized as a price match, and it is then time to pay.

One thing that came to mind, for me, is that while they may try to claim the gift card is the same as a price match, would they price match another store/reseller that involves use of a gift-card of their own, or one of those pre-paid credit/debit cards, or a total price based on a rebate? I think NOT. So, if you hit a snag, getting the line that the gift-card is the SAME as a price-match, you might argue these points, or just try another store.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-24-2013 at 09:41 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #399
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post
I notice that most everyone getting this deal are doing so at the time of purchase. That might be my problem. I'm trying to get it post-purchase, as the lower Amazon price wasn't in effect when I bought it (last Sunday). Born loser ... I bought one day too soon. But I plan on trying again today, at a different store. Since I am within the return period, it could come down to returning it, then re-buying. Seems dumb, but might be the only way to beat their system.
BestBuy doesn't typically price match after the sale any more. Except for BestBuy and BestBuy.com. They only pricematch the online merchants at the time of sale. Of course if you are still within the return period you can threaten to return it and buy a new one. But I've done that with a few other products in the past and they still did not match the price. So I returned the item and bought a new one with the price match. Which of course is stupid of BestBuy because now they have a returned open product by not matching the price on the original item I had.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #400
marklyn

Just noticed a $320 price on a Roamio Plus, but I've never heard of this online company before.
http://www.sophiamart.com/tivo-roami...dvr-tcd848000/

Just read this is likely a scam site, so I'd recommend staying away.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin

Last edited by marklyn : 11-25-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: updated
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #401
midson

Scam site. Only 90 days old and based in Panama.
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #402
Dan203
Super Moderator

This guy is selling a Roamio Pro for $500 shipped over in the seller area...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511146
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #403
Hbmike

Costco

Just purchased a Roamio Plus at Costco. $349 + tax. Don't mind a few dollars more than ABT and others as Costco's return privileges are the best in case I can't get it to work with Comcast. I will not hook it up until I'm sure there aren't any super black Friday specials anywhere.
Hbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #404
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbmike View Post
Just purchased a Roamio Plus at Costco. $349 + tax. Don't mind a few dollars more than ABT and others as Costco's return privileges are the best in case I can't get it to work with Comcast. I will not hook it up until I'm sure there aren't any super black Friday specials anywhere.
I did the same yesterday. I was going to wait for the new hard drive & Black Friday deals, but I found a spare 3TB (EZRX version) to start my upgrade today

If there is a better deal on the Plus on Black Fri, Costco would get that one as a return.

[update] I am sure these were already covered, but I have not had a chance to read through all old threads
1. unboxing was under-whelming -- main unit, power cord & remote (batteries included) no A/V or HDMI cables, I almost thought this was Costco-specific packaging, but I believe this is the new Roamio package
2. I put a NTFS partitioned disk directly from my Windows PC into this Tivo -- Tivo booted itself up, reconfigured itself for 476 hours of capacity. Very cool.
XL 658
S2 540

Last edited by yukit : 11-25-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Unboxing & upgrade info
Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #405
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
Just noticed a $320 price on a Roamio Plus, but I've never heard of this online company before.
http://www.sophiamart.com/tivo-roami...dvr-tcd848000/

Just read this is likely a scam site, so I'd recommend staying away.
Its $320 free ship and they take PayPal for payment, good protection I think, I going to try, let you all know what happens.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #406
cdp1276

I'm thinking of buying Roamio Plus from ABT, and this box would replace an HD 20 hr box. I'm currently on a yearly subscription renewal of $99. If I let this renew and try to activate this new Roamio Plus they are saying I need to pay more, unless I purchase from TiVo and they transfer the service. Is that true? Also, how are people getting a $99 Lifetime deal these days? Been a customer since 2001 on my 6th box and they don't seem to care.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #407
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276 View Post
I'm thinking of buying Roamio Plus from ABT, and this box would replace an HD 20 hr box. I'm currently on a yearly subscription renewal of $99. If I let this renew and try to activate this new Roamio Plus they are saying I need to pay more, unless I purchase from TiVo and they transfer the service. Is that true? Also, how are people getting a $99 Lifetime deal these days? Been a customer since 2001 on my 6th box and they don't seem to care.
You would not be able to get a $99 lifetime on Roamio, only Premieres and older models.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #408
brianj20

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I don't really recall TiVo ever having anything memorable for a Black Friday sale. And this current promotion is dated through 1/31/14.
I just activated two new roamio's and the rep was impressed that i had been a customer for 13 years. So I asked what kind of deal they could give me on a mini with lifetime service - Nothing. But he said to look for sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday and that there would be some good sales going on. We'll see.
brianj20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #409
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You would not be able to get a $99 lifetime on Roamio, only Premieres and older models.
The missing requirements that usually (almost always), apply, as you said, for Premieres and older models:

1. That you have purchased, a newest generation model, and have activated it, or wish to activate it, at the same time you bring up the older gen models.

2. That the older gen models have an ACTIVE monthly subscription.

3. That those in #2 have each been consecutively paid monthly for 3 years.

Don't expect $99 LTS on something that hasn't been active for at least 2 years, but you can always ask, hope, and/or try calling back and getting another CSR who is having a good day.

The quickest way to get to the right department (customer retention), and to have the best odds, is to specifically say you are calling to CANCEL service on a TiVo (I do believe it's one of the number buttons you can press on your phone, in the automated menus). Unless customer retention has too many calls on their queue, you should get right through to them.

Most success stories involve people calling with the actual intent to cancel (or being convincing that is the case), after buying/activating a newest gen model, not so much with those who go straight to "give me a deal", but it varies sometimes.

Lastly, there are specific threads devoted to TiVo service deals/offers/promos, and the stories range from $99 to $199 (with some only getting a best offer of $299, which is likely due to not making the 3 years of paying monthly service).

IMHO, it would likely be best to keep this thread for deals on the Roamio hardware (or bundled Roamio deals, including lifetime, which is pretty much a TiVo exclusive situation, AFAIK). After all, this is a "Roamio deals" thread, not an "unannounced/unadvertised deals you can get on Premieres, and/or older models" thread.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-25-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: specifics
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #410
midas
I heard that

I'm still not ready to buy, but I checked today and my Costco doesn't carry any Tivos. So anyone looking for one may have to call around to find a location that stocks them.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:40 AM   #411
RickStrobel

Yeah, what's up with Costco and TiVos? I've seen several posts from people who bought their TiVo at Costco. I was in my Costco the other day and didn't see any and the employees said they didn't have them. Also, a search on costco.com returns zero results for "tivo".
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #412
RickStrobel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
4. PAY QUICKLY, AND GET THE TRANSACTION TO GO THROUGH.

5. Do all the above, and if nobody meddles, if a gift card is applicable (as in, still a CURRENT store promo), the register will prompt them to give you one. As long as their register says you are due one, they CAN'T refuse to give it to you, at that point.
What happens if you get to that point and no gift card is offered? Guess your only recourse would be to head over to the return counter.

Anyone know when this $50 gift card deal expires?

Been a TiVo customer since 1999. I haven't gotten any email from TiVo with the $50 off for the Plus. Anyone care to send me a copy of theirs?
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #413
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
What happens if you get to that point and no gift card is offered? Guess your only recourse would be to head over to the return counter.

Been a TiVo customer since 1999. I haven't gotten any email from TiVo with the $50 off for the Plus. Anyone care to send me a copy of theirs?
If you search "Roamio" on Best Buy's web site, they have a separate SKU listed for each model TiVo, with the gift card as a bundled item. I'd say once those three extra bundle listings disappear, you might want to assume your chances of getting a gift card are slim to none, but not impossible. They were giving out the cards, before the extra SKUs appeared on their website (or I somehow missed them being there). Otherwise, the return counter isn't far to walk to, and the box will be still-sealed.

The TiVo Promo emails are linked to a specific TSN. How they decide who gets an email, or how they pick the TSN, I don't know. I got one, can't be transferred. Check your spam filter, perhaps...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #414
nexusplexus9

Went to BestBuy last night.

Bought a Tivo Roamio Basic + Tivo Mini. PM them both to Amazon.com
I linked my Amex to the $25 credit for spending $250 at BB earlier.
149+86
Total was ~254 after taxes and got a $50GC.
Manager override was needed for the Roamio.
No issues.
nexusplexus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #415
srauly

I haven't tried this (at least not yet), but I saw a 10% "Birthday" coupon for Best Buy floating around on SlickDeals. I didn't see TiVo listed in the exclusion list. I'm wondering if you could use that on the Roamio Plus for $400 - $40 (= $360) and still get the $50 Best Buy Gift Card promo they're currently offering.

- Tapwave Zodiac news, reviews, and discussion -
srauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #416
yukit

Quote:
Yeah, what's up with Costco and TiVos? I've seen several posts from people who bought their TiVo at Costco. I was in my Costco the other day and didn't see any and the employees said they didn't have them. Also, a search on costco.com returns zero results for "tivo".
Fell off the truck on their way from/to Tivo main office?

Two Costco stores I have been to had a stack of Roamio Plus. The first time I saw it last week, a couple people checking it out. I didn't pick it up then because I thought I should get a Basic initially.

Maybe only Bay Area Costco stores carry Tivo. I picked up one of my old Tivo there as well. Two stores I visited are closest to Tivo in Alviso
XL 658
S2 540
Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #417
wmhyland

Quote:
Per the display flyer at BestBuy, DC, $50 gift card deal valid through December 2, 2013.

Last edited by wmhyland : 11-27-2013 at 08:52 AM.
wmhyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #418
TK-421
Stormtrooper

Anyone seen anything for Black Friday/Cyber Monday yet? Was thinking of a Plus/Pro, but it's looking pretty barren.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #419
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Anyone seen anything for Black Friday/Cyber Monday yet? Was thinking of a Plus/Pro, but it's looking pretty barren.
Nothing that I've seen yet. I'm looking to pick up one more Roamio and a couple more clients, but will wait to Friday/Monday.

Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #420
waterchange

Just saw a post on slickdeals that Tiger Direct has the mini for $49.99 after a $50 rebate. For those of you who have the AMEX $30 of $100 at Tiger Direct or the $20 off paying with v.me, this would put the Mini at $20 or $30 + 0.01 filler. If you're paying by AMEX anyways, get free Shoprunner shipping.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote