TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #361
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Today, I saw Amazon's price on the Basic Roamio is at $143.99 with Prime shipping.
......and direct prime from amazon is down to $145.40 as well!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #362
jhirsche

Stopped by BB tonight and got the roamio for $145.40, plus the $50 GC. Price matched amazon.com. Even the clerk was surprised by how good the deal was... Thanks all!
jhirsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #363
lentiman
Ocassional User

Has anyone been able to get Best Buy to PM TiVo's promo email for a Plus at $350 and get the $50 gift card? I'd like to do that to upgrade our other TiVo HD to a Roamio Plus. Why not get a Mini you say? Because.
lentiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #364
eric102

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post
Has anyone been able to get Best Buy to PM TiVo's promo email for a Plus at $350 and get the $50 gift card? I'd like to do that to upgrade our other TiVo HD to a Roamio Plus. Why not get a Mini you say? Because.
Seems unlikely, Tivo is not on Best Buys list of price match competitors.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #365
ltxi

I must have too much money or something. Find all this flailing and energy wasted over saving ten to a hundred dollars both not worth it and no longer amusing.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #366
DonnieZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
Seems unlikely, Tivo is not on Best Buys list of price match competitors.
Eh.. It's way more likely than you think. Your local Best Buy manager really has final say in what gets matched and what doesn't. Sometimes if the amount isn't too great it boils down to the employee.

Either way, I see the tougher challenge being that it's an "upgrade offer" vs. a flat out sale. Somewhat akin to the not matching membership club prices on like items. If it weren't so damned close to Christmas and I didn't just buy a new Samsung 60F7100, I'd be all over this. Oh well, maybe I'll get some gift cards for Christmas and I can get one!
DonnieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #367
lentiman
Ocassional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
I must have too much money or something. Find all this flailing and energy wasted over saving ten to a hundred dollars both not worth it and no longer amusing.
Yah know, it's different for everyone. Sometime I'd agree with you. Other times it's the thrill of getting the deal. I personally find enjoyment in getting a good deal. $10 though, not worth it. I don't understand people who are getting a Plus to just upgrade it with a 3TB drive when you can get a Pro for basically the same price with TiVo's $100 of, which makes the Pro $500. But that's how I see it.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #368
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
And yet you're hanging out and posting in this thread.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #369
mattack

Quote:
I could *maybe* see $10. But even though I can afford it, saving $100 is WELL WELL worth it to me, and I also sort of like "getting a deal". (Yes, I realize they do that on purpose.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #370
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

So much for hoping people would ignore, or at least not quote, a post, essentially taking a swipe at those who don't have money to burn, while essentially admitting they are here for their own amusement.

How about hoping for that we show we are not stupid, and not provide the amusement...
Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #371
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
So much for hoping people would ignore, or at least not quote, a post, essentially taking a swipe at those who don't have money to burn, while essentially admitting they are here for their own amusement.

How about hoping for that we show we are not stupid, and not provide the amusement...
Grandpa is that you?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #372
skywalkm
TiVoholic

I just used WeaKnees price of 349.99 with RPLUS coupon code and they said initially they don't match that site. But having called earlier, they said they would. So, I just repeated that with confidence and he gave it to me. Then I mentioned the $50 gift card to which he knew nothing about. I informed him and he gave it to me. Very happy with the whole process!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #373
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkm View Post
I just used WeaKnees price of 349.99 with RPLUS coupon code and they said initially they don't match that site. But having called earlier, they said they would. So, I just repeated that with confidence and he gave it to me. Then I mentioned the $50 gift card to which he knew nothing about. I informed him and he gave it to me. Very happy with the whole process!
It is policy for best buy to match price and give a 50 gift card?

I just went to best buy and they had no clue
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #374
davefred99

Thumbs down best Buy Deal Did not work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
It is policy for best buy to match price and give a 50 gift card?

I just went to best buy and they had no clue
i just got back from Best Buy in Riverside Ca. and they refused to give me the $50 gift card and price match Amazon $149.98 price. The sales guy said it looked ok but had to ask his supervisor and he rang it up and the card came up but he then said he needed to talk to his store manager who refused to do it. Said I could have one or the other but not both period.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #375
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Well, I actually got lucky I guess. Went to my local Best Buy to get my Dad the base 4-tuner Roamio. They honored the Amazon price AND gave me the $50 gift card. No hassles or anything. Pretty good deal!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #376

I too just got home from Best Buy. They matched Amazon on the Basic price as well as the Stream price, and gave us the $50 GC. Not bad! Now it's time to prep for a hard drive upgrade...
Avatar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #377
RusRus

What a deal. I too, went to Best Buy this morning and got a new Roamio for $143.99 plus tax and a also received a $50.00 gift card.

As a rule I never buy the extra warranty on new items as I feel if it is going to fail it will during the manufacturer's warranty period, but, since there was nothing else I wanted from BB I opted for the four year warranty for $34.99 which I paid with my gift card. Still have $15.00 left.

RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #378
videojanitor

These stories are frustrating! It's amazing that *I* am always the one who is denied the "deal." Guess I need to keep trying -- eventually I'll hit the right store, though will have burned through more than $50 worth of gas at that point!
videojanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #379
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post
These stories are frustrating! It's amazing that *I* am always the one who is denied the "deal." Guess I need to keep trying -- eventually I'll hit the right store, though will have burned through more than $50 worth of gas at that point!
What I did was I went to Best Buy web site, printed out the page showing the Tivo purchase and gift card.

Then I went to amazon, printed out the page with the lowest Tivo price.

I also printed out the page on this site showing others getting the deal.

Do the same and present the Amazon page first, then, if necessary, show the Best Buy page. Finally, if necessary, show the page from this site.

Let us know if it works.
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #380
videojanitor

Thanks for the tips. I did have items 1 and 2 when I went in -- this was AFTER the sale -- they were prepared to match the Amazon price until they called up the transaction and saw that I received the gift card. They said I could have one or other, but not both. Perhaps their system won't let them do this after the fact -- but I don't see why I couldn't return it, and then buy it again, to get around this. That would be a big hassle for all involved, so hopefully it doesn't come to that. I definitely plan to print out some messages in this thread!
Old 11-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #381
davefred99

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post
Thanks for the tips. I did have items 1 and 2 when I went in -- this was AFTER the sale -- they were prepared to match the Amazon price until they called up the transaction and saw that I received the gift card. They said I could have one or other, but not both. Perhaps their system won't let them do this after the fact -- but I don't see why I couldn't return it, and then buy it again, to get around this. That would be a big hassle for all involved, so hopefully it doesn't come to that. I definitely plan to print out some messages in this thread!
I don't know how others have been able to get this but I went to the store with all the above listed items and even had them look at this site and they read the posts that showed some had succeeded and some had not . I was told there policy to price match does not allow for both and I could take my choice but no way was I allowed to get both a price match and the best buy card and any store that did do so was not following company policy. The manager was friendly but firm on his decision.

I am just going to wait till Black Friday or cyber Monday and see what deals pop up. I am not buying until I get the best deal I can.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #382
videojanitor

Well, it certainly seems like this deal is really something that BB did not anticipate. I'm not even sure WHY they are bundling a gift card with the Roamio, but no doubt they did not factor in the price-match issue. Now, I have no problem with them giving the "one or the other" edict, but it needs to be applied uniformly. They shouldn't be giving it to some and not others. I suspect it's just a matter of what store you go to, and who handles the transaction.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #383
jhirsche

Like another user here said... Just go in and grab a roamio basic, head to the customer service counter, ask for an amazon price match, and then proceed with checking out. At the very end of the transaction, the computer will tell the customer service associate to scan a $50 gift card for the purchase. It was that simple for me. Got a little nervous because the gift card wasn't part of the transaction until payment/ checkout was complete (after I paid) - at which point the computer told the associate to scan and surrender a $50 gift card. Worked flawlessly for me, and even the associate was surprised by the good deal on that one.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #384
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirsche View Post
Like another user here said... Just go in and grab a roamio basic, head to the customer service counter, ask for an amazon price match, and then proceed with checking out. At the very end of the transaction, the computer will tell the customer service associate to scan a $50 gift card for the purchase. It was that simple for me. Got a little nervous because the gift card wasn't part of the transaction until payment/ checkout was complete (after I paid) - at which point the computer told the associate to scan and surrender a $50 gift card. Worked flawlessly for me, and even the associate was surprised by the good deal on that one.
Can't you just go to checkout for a price match? I've never gone to the customer service counter when I had a price match, I've just given a printout to the cashier and they took care of the pricematch. Which is pretty much just about every time I buy something from inside a BestBuy store.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #385
jhirsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Can't you just go to checkout for a price match? I've never gone to the customer service counter when I had a price match, I've just given a printout to the cashier and they took care of the pricematch. Which is pretty much just about every time I buy something from inside a BestBuy store.
Probably.... I always do pm's at customer service... Less issues with people in line behind me ;-)
Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #386
tomm1079

anyone try this with the plus and the weakness price match?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #387
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirsche View Post
What this said is what to do. Last night when i was turned down i made the mistake of bringing up the $50 gift card

i just got a pricematch with the plus to weakness. I printed out the checkout page that shows the price match. Then grabbed a Roamio plus and went to CS counter. She checked with manager to confirm she can price match. Once they said yes she rang it up. during the transaction she told me "you also get a $50 gift card for best buy".
then i paid.

Then i asked her if i can use the $50 gift card and price match a tivo mini with amazon.com. She said yes. So i went and got a mini and then she price matched and used my gift card for the mini.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! hope this helps someone!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #388
videojanitor

I notice that most everyone getting this deal are doing so at the time of purchase. That might be my problem. I'm trying to get it post-purchase, as the lower Amazon price wasn't in effect when I bought it (last Sunday). Born loser ... I bought one day too soon. But I plan on trying again today, at a different store. Since I am within the return period, it could come down to returning it, then re-buying. Seems dumb, but might be the only way to beat their system.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #389
videojanitor

Born loser no more! Went to another store today and received the deal with no guff. Fortunately I had brought the gift card with me, as they refunded the previous transaction, which meant voiding that card -- then they sold the TiVo to me again at the Amazon price, and gave me a new gift card. Sweet!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #390
lentiman
Ocassional User

Woot. Got Best Buy to price match the $349 TiVo email price on the Roamio Plus and got the $50 gift card also. All done at the front checkout. I bought in a printed copy of the email. No hassles.