TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #271
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by en sabur nur View Post
If I add more drives in my desktop computer. Will the tivo see the added drives? Or does it only see I drive per computer. I have a some sata drives lying around that I can add to my desktop. Right now, it has a 2tb drive in it. I am also considering a Netgear Nas, which has a Tivo Archiving feature.
It only sees the TiVo folder so where ever that is, is what you can access without moving files around. When I put files on one of my USB drives it does require copying them to the drive and back again so I only use them if I have too.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #272
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I couldn't do that because the Roamio Basic still transfers to the PC at half the speed of the Roamio Pro. I transferred some shows this morning from my Romaio Basic and got around 92Mb/s transfer rates which still takes a while to transfer an hour long HD show. While my Roamio Pro will transfer at 180Mb/s to the PC. Which still takes some time to transfer an hour long HD show, but at least it's in around half the time as the Roamio Basic.

I prefer to have more local storage and only transfer content the PC for archiving. Now if they implemented streaming from the PC then I could see having less storage on the TiVos and transferring it to the PC for viewing later. Since you would not need to transfer it back.
My transfer speed on my Roamio is about the same as yours. But it is more than fast enough for what I need (actually the Premiere's transfer speed was fine also). I have my computers set to "Auto Transfer" certain shows that I plain on watching latter so I never really see them being pulled to my computer. As far as going back, yes streaming would be great, but I can start watching a show within seconds and never catch up with the transfer while skipping commercials so again that is fast enough for me. One of my computers is actually attached to my TV and there is no issue streaming TiVo files to it from the other computer, but I find watching shows easier with my TiVo than my HTPC.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #273
leiff

Quote:
I couldn't do that because the Roamio Basic still transfers to the PC at half the speed of the Roamio Pro. I transferred some shows this morning from my Romaio Basic and got around 92Mb/s transfer rates which still takes a while to transfer an hour long HD show. While my Roamio Pro will transfer at 180Mb/s to the PC. Which still takes some time to transfer an hour long HD show, but at least it's in around half the time as the Roamio Basic.

I prefer to have more local storage and only transfer content the PC for archiving. Now if they implemented streaming from the PC then I could see having less storage on the TiVos and transferring it to the PC for viewing later. Since you would not need to transfer it back.
Im sure your aware that when you transfer a show from pc to tivo your given the option to play imidiately. I do this with my roamio basic. Isnt this as good as streaming? Or are you just bothered by the fact youd have to delete the program from your tivo afterwards to avoid duplicates?
Aarronwt; i see you recently aquired a basic roamio. Have you observed its fan noise to be louder than your pros? Im bothered by my basics and am going to try to run fanless and keep the top lid off
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #274
leiff

I have tivo desktop though i haven't tried auto series transfer yet. Does it offer to delete original from tivo afterwards?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #275
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I have tivo desktop though i haven't tried auto series transfer yet. Does it offer to delete original from tivo afterwards?
Not that I am aware of. I manually delete all my auto transfer shows once or twice a week after I check that they actually auto transferred - guess I am just not willing to trust the tech 100% yet .
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #276
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Im sure your aware that when you transfer a show from pc to tivo your given the option to play imidiately. I do this with my roamio basic. Isnt this as good as streaming? Or are you just bothered by the fact youd have to delete the program from your tivo afterwards to avoid duplicates?
Aarronwt; i see you recently aquired a basic roamio. Have you observed its fan noise to be louder than your pros? Im bothered by my basics and am going to try to run fanless and keep the top lid off
I forgot about that. I don't use TiVo Desktop as much as I did in the past and most recently it has been to send content to TiVo Desktop and then burned to disc.
So yes if viewing commences immediately then that is almost as good as streaming.

For fan noise on the Roamio Basic I compared it to the two tuner Premiere, and it has been quieter than the Premiere. I'll need to listen more closely one day and compare it to the Pro. But right now in it's location I have not had any noise to worry about from it. But it also is not in a quiet room, it is in an area that has more extraneous noise. I'll need to move it into another room one day to find out how it really sounds in a very quiet room.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #277
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

I walked into a Best Buy today and picked up a Roamio base model (need OTA only). As the transaction was concluding, the cashier had to call over a manager because the register told her that I was due a $50 gift card. They rung one up for me on the spot, bringing my net cost down to $149. Of course, that means I have to apply it towards something else in the future, but I thought it was pretty sweet!
Use the $50 Gift card towards a larger hard drive to throw into the Roamio!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #278
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
If I add more drives in my desktop computer. Will the tivo see the added drives? Or does it only see I drive per computer. I have a some sata drives lying around that I can add to my desktop. Right now, it has a 2tb drive in it. I am also considering a Netgear Nas, which has a Tivo Archiving feature.
As atmuscarella said, the Tivo only sees the My Tivo Recordings folder.

But, you can create shortcuts for other folders/hard drives where you store videos.
Once you create the shortcut(s), move it(them) into the My TiVo Recordings folder. They will show up in the list on the Tivo as subfolders at the bottom of the list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #279
SlappyMcgee

Ordered a Roamio Pro last night with the $100 off / Transfer current service. When I receive and activate my Roamio they are going to allow me to purchase lifetime for my TivoHD for $99
SlappyMcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #280
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
As atmuscarella said, the Tivo only sees the My Tivo Recordings folder.

But, you can create shortcuts for other folders/hard drives where you store videos.
Once you create the shortcut(s), move it(them) into the My TiVo Recordings folder. They will show up in the list on the Tivo as subfolders at the bottom of the list.
Thanks for the shortcut/subfolder tip. I might put 2 of my 1TB drives into my computers instead of using them in USB enclosures when I fill up the 2TB ones in the computers.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #281
the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcgee View Post
Ordered a Roamio Pro last night with the $100 off / Transfer current service. When I receive and activate my Roamio they are going to allow me to purchase lifetime for my TivoHD for $99
Are they allowing you to transfer lifetime service from the TivoHD, or are you just transferring monthly service from the TivoHD and then adding on lifetime to the TivoHD for $99?

If you're transferring lifetime, I see the cost breakdown as follows:
$599.99 - $100 = $499.99 Pro + $99 TivoHD Lifetime service = $598.99 + tax for a TivoHD w/ lifetime & Roamio Pro w/ lifetime?

If that's the case, that's a pretty damn good deal, especially considering what you could sell the TivoHD w/ lifetime for. Please confirm.
the block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #282
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the block View Post
Are they allowing you to transfer lifetime service from the TivoHD, or are you just transferring monthly service from the TivoHD and then adding on lifetime to the TivoHD for $99?

$599.99 - $100 = $499.99 Pro + $99 TivoHD Lifetime service = $598.99 + tax for a TivoHD w/ lifetime & Roamio Pro w/ lifetime?

If that's the case, that's a pretty damn good deal, especially considering what you could sell the TivoHD w/ lifetime for. Please confirm.
They let you transfer your current subscription, ie. monthly service, not lifetime.

This is what they did for me with a Roamio BAsic recently. I transferred my $6.95 rate from a two tuner Premiere to the Roamio. Then they gave me lifetime service on my Premiere for $99.

I've had the $6.95 rate since 2007. Initially on a TiVo HD, then transferred to a launch Premiere. And now on a Roamio BAsic.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #283
en sabur nur

Quote:
They let you transfer your current subscription, ie. monthly service, not lifetime.

This is what they did for me with a Roamio BAsic recently. I transferred my $6.95 rate from a two tuner Premiere to the Roamio. Then they gave me lifetime service on my Premiere for $99.

I've had the $6.95 rate since 2007. Initially on a TiVo HD, then transferred to a launch Premiere. And now on a Roamio BAsic.
I hope I get that deal when I call them. I'm getting a Roamio Pro and will transfer service from a Premiere 4. Hopefully they offer me that lifetime deal on the Premiere 4 too.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #284
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I hope I get that deal when I call them. I'm getting a Roamio Pro and will transfer service from a Premiere 4. Hopefully they offer me that lifetime deal on the Premiere 4 too.
Based on what Philmatic said, it depends on how long you've had service on the box whether you can get the $99 lifetime service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
The threshold is three years, if you have been paying monthly or yearly for service on your Premiere, they'll offer the $99 deal. I got it on my three Premiere's when I upgraded to the Roamio Plus. Adding Lifetime to the Premiere for $99 increased it's value by $300, so I net $200 off each box.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #285
en sabur nur

Quote:
Based on what Philmatic said, it depends on how long you've had service on the box whether you can get the $99 lifetime service.
It's been three years with the Premiere 4.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #286
SlappyMcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the block View Post

No they are allowing me to transfer my current service plan to the Roamio. Then when I call to activate it they will put lifetime on my TivoHD for $99.

Now the wait for them to ship it is killing me.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #287
bern43

Just spoke to them and they'd do the 99 lifetime on the premiere XL I have if I bought a roamio with lifetime. Wasn't thinking about upgrading, but thinking it might be worth it as a premiere with lifetime actually has some re-sale value.
bern43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #288
SlappyMcgee

Yeah the way I see it. With the $100 off on the Pro. you are buying a Pro for regular price and getting free product lifetime on the Tivo HD
Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #289
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
Just spoke to them and they'd do the 99 lifetime on the premiere XL I have if I bought a roamio with lifetime. Wasn't thinking about upgrading, but thinking it might be worth it as a premiere with lifetime actually has some re-sale value.
Without Lifetime the XL is worth $75-$100, with Lifetime you're looking at $400. It's worth the $100 upgrade, you'll still net $200.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #290
SlappyMcgee

Since this is my first time to buy a Tivo from Tivo directly. How long does it normally take them to finally ship the product?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #291
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcgee View Post
Since this is my first time to buy a Tivo from Tivo directly. How long does it normally take them to finally ship the product?
I ordered my Romaio Basic from TiVo on Friday the 8th. It shipped on Monday the 11th. And I received it on Thursday the 14th.

But I had also placed the order late in the day on Friday. Around 6:30PM EST.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #292
SlappyMcgee

Quote:
I ordered my Romaio Basic from TiVo on Friday the 8th. It shipped on Monday the 11th. And I received it on Thursday the 14th.

But I had also placed the order late in the day on Friday. Around 6:30PM EST.
Hmmm... Not sure if they do anything over the weekend. So with your time frame. I should receive mine around next Tuesday. Dang that means I have to wait an entire week Amazon and Newegg have spoiled me :P
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #293
MarkSFCA

Amazon now has the basic Roamio at $149.99.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-R...ds=tivo+roamio
MarkSFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #294
Philmatic

Incredible...
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #295
overFEDEXed

Wait, there's more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSFCA View Post

And a Roamio Composite cable?
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-Co...eywords=roamio

Oh, just the Breakout cable, or part of it, http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Mini-Comp...pd_sim_sbs_e_1 my bad.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-19-2013 at 06:09 PM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #296
soobaerodude

Quote:

Pricematch at Best Buy and get an additional $50 gift card?
soobaerodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #297
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:

I just jumped at it and ordered. Amazon Prime will get it here Thursday.
Last time, the price dropped to $176 and missed it.

Update: It looks like it will be here Wednesday (overnight) and I did not choose overnight speed.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 11-20-2013 at 02:22 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #298
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I want this too (for use with Premieres/HDs), but am having a hard time finding them.

I managed to get the WNDR3800 Netgear router with all the TiVo features, after it was discontinued, but while still available from Newegg. Netgear doesn't even offer support for it anymore, and I just bought it.

I couldn't find any of the Netgear NAS standalone (no PC required) devices with the same TiVo extras. Anything 64-bit won't work, and just like the router, it's not like there were a lot of products released with the TiVo specific functions.

It may be that anything works with a Roamio (for all I know), but older TiVo platforms seem to have not ended up being worthy of the NAS manufacturers building in standalone TiVo support for, or just turned out to be non-profitable.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #299
imacericg

Quote:

BOOM! This thread payed off. Just pulled the trigger myself.
imacericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #300
jhirsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaerodude View Post
Pricematch at Best Buy and get an additional $50 gift card?
Curious if anyone tries this and gets it to work? $150 Roamio + $50 BB gift card... scha-weet!
jhirsche is offline   Reply With Quote