TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
sofakng

How often does TiVo release updates? (new TiVo user)

I'm new to TiVo and my Roamio Pro is the first TiVo that I've ever owned, so I'm wondering how often TiVo releases software updates.

For example, the "Winter 2014" update was the big one that added Amazon Prime and Vudu, etc.

Should I be expecting a large "Spring 2015" update in first-quarter 2014, or how often do they update?

I'd love to see a couple of different features... (video podcast playback, Plex app, DLNA support, etc)

Last edited by sofakng : 12-17-2014 at 10:05 PM.
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
mattack

Only a couple times a year, at MOST.

You already *have* video podcast playback -- You have to just search for them.. it used to be in a separate section, but on Roamios, it's now built into the main search. Search for a podcast, and you can get a SP.

While I watch my video podcasts on my iPad the vast vast majority of the time (at 2x), I still have my Tivo downloading them, because in relatively rare cases I've seen _each_ miss an episode that the other one caught..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
...Plex app...
Welcome.

I thought some users developed a Plex app. Search the forums here.

(I don't use Plex, but I got the impression that it was up and running.)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Only a couple times a year, at MOST.
More than 2. They've been doing quarterly of late.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Theres no set pattern really, we get updates when they are ready. Since the Roamio has come out, it feels like they've been coming fairly fast n furious, though!

The whole underlying codebase being overhauled, three-column view in my shows, the opera app store, the new Vudu and Amazon apps, dynamic tuner allocation, streaming improvements, Android app, etc

Dates are approximate... and depend if you signed up for early accces, etc. Major new features listed. Lots of minor tweaks...

20.3.8 12/12/13 Dynamic tuners for mini, HTML 5 app suport, Moviephone, AOL techcrunch and Opera app store, CC updates
20.4.1 4/3/14 Lots of bug fixes
20.4.2 7/11/14 Haxe update/overhaul, three column view, huffpost app
20.4.4 9/9/14 Season passes up to 6 mos ahead, HSN, Spotify apps, Android streaming
20.4.5 10/30/14 Streaming improvements, Vudu, Amazon

Did I miss any, folks?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

It's never set in stone but there were 4 updates this year which is unusual for them. The semi-usual cadence has been 2 with an occasional 3rd.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
I'm new to TiVo and my Roamio Pro is the first TiVo that I've ever owned, so I'm wondering how often TiVo releases software updates.

I'd love to see a couple of different features... (video podcast playback, Plex app, DLNA support, etc)
DNLA Support as in server or client? As a client I can get music & photo files now, even though the UI is buggy. As a server, I doubt it.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #8
sofakng

Oh, I didn't know about the video podcasts already being built-in. That's great! (and it looks like you can add custom RSS feeds as well? nice!)

There is a Plex app on the Opera TV store but it's currently unavailable for TiVo. I also saw the development version on here that I might try, but hopefully the official app is ported. However, I was thinking more about an official Plex app built into TiVo that supported cross-provider searches, etc. For example, if I searched for "Gladiator", it would show results from TV, Netflix, and Plex (if I had a Bluray transferred to my Plex server).

If TiVo supported acting as a DLNA client, it would nice because Android (and other things) could send media directly to the TiVo. Dish Network's Hopper supports this, and on Android I could simply select a picture and have it appear instantly on the Hopper using DLNA.

Anyways, I'm extremely, extremely, happy with my TiVo Roamio. Plex is my really my only big feature request (including the cross-provider searching as mentioned). The other things are just "nice to haves"... (oh, and maybe HBO Go?)
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #9
tatergator1

Quote:
There is a Plex app on the Opera TV store but it's currently unavailable for TiVo. I also saw the development version on here that I might try, but hopefully the official app is ported. However, I was thinking more about an official Plex app built into TiVo that supported cross-provider searches, etc. For example, if I searched for "Gladiator", it would show results from TV, Netflix, and Plex (if I had a Bluray transferred to my Plex server).
Don't hold your breath on cross-platform search including Plex. Tivo's search function is entirely web-based using a master database that includes all official Tivo video OTT apps. Tivo's not going to alter that functionality to include also searching a local database of your Plex server, IMHO.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote