TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Three60guy

Guided Setup on Roamio question

Hey all,

I have looked for an answer to this but haven't found any.

We currently use DirecTv. But we have had it with them. We are looking into getting the basic Tivo Roamio (over the air and Internet services) but can't seem to find out if the guide info will include all the TV stations we currently have over the air using the DirecTv HR-20.

See, we live mid way between Chicago, IL and Milwaukee, WI.

The bottom line question is: will the guide info provide info from both markets? The only info I have found is that the Tivo guided setup will ask for my zip code. The DirecTv setup asks for both the zip codes for my home and a second zip code which I enter a zip code from Chicago.

But nothing is said whether or not the guide merely uses the results from the automatic channel scan. My antenna picks up all the stations in both Milwaukee and Chicago and I don't want to lose that. Any ideas?

Also, what is the current list of Internet services provided on the Tivo Roamio? Looking at the Tivo web site doesn't appear to provide that info either.

We appreciate the help.

Cheers
Three60guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
fred2

I'm not sure of the zip code function. When I set mine up, it scanned for channels but I don't know what it does if there's "overlap" - same network on another channel.

The Tivo depends on your existing isp or network provider - gets it from router (wifi in my case) or ethernet. If that's what you are asking.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
worachj

The TV listing on Zap2it.com mirrors what TiVo uses. Add your zip code on Zap2it.com and do a channel check for your area. TiVo only uses one zip code during setup but that doesn't mean it won't cover channels for both areas. You'll have to check.

http://www.zap2it.com/tvlistings
Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three60guy View Post
Hey all,

I have looked for an answer to this but haven't found any.

We currently use DirecTv. But we have had it with them. We are looking into getting the basic Tivo Roamio (over the air and Internet services) but can't seem to find out if the guide info will include all the TV stations we currently have over the air using the DirecTv HR-20.

See, we live mid way between Chicago, IL and Milwaukee, WI.

The bottom line question is: will the guide info provide info from both markets? The only info I have found is that the Tivo guided setup will ask for my zip code. The DirecTv setup asks for both the zip codes for my home and a second zip code which I enter a zip code from Chicago.

But nothing is said whether or not the guide merely uses the results from the automatic channel scan. My antenna picks up all the stations in both Milwaukee and Chicago and I don't want to lose that. Any ideas?

Also, what is the current list of Internet services provided on the Tivo Roamio? Looking at the Tivo web site doesn't appear to provide that info either.

We appreciate the help.

Cheers
as far as I know Tivo can only use 1 zip code
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
tatergator1

Yes, only one zip code, but the Guide data for areas between major markets usually includes channels from both markets. As a test, I just input the zip code of Zion, Illinois which seems to be about the mid-point between Chicago and Milwaukee. Both channel sets are included in the Zap2it listings for "Broadcast (Antenna)". Guide data for Tivo should not be an issue.

With that said, it's not clear if the OP actually has an Antenna for receiving the local broadcast stations. What you get with DirecTV is a re-transmission of the broadcast signals from the DirecTV satalites, and doesn't mean your exact geographic location will allow you to receive the broadcast signals from both markets simultaneously.

I'd recommend antennaweb.org to check reception and proper antenna types since you'll be pulling signals from two completely different directions. Checking Zion, Illinois, it looks like the OP would need two medium, directional antennas, one pointed at either metro area, and then have to combine the signals from each antenna to the home's coax wiring in order to reliably receive channels from both markets.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Three60guy

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your info. Yes, I did the same thing. I went to Zap2it and input my zipcode and it provided both the Milwaukee and Chicago listings. If Tivo actually uses Zap2it then it looks promising that we will be able to see both markets.

Thanks for that insight.

Cheers
Three60guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three60guy View Post
If Tivo actually uses Zap2it then it looks promising that we will be able to see both markets.

Cheers
Yes, Zap2it is owned by Tribune Media Services, which is the company supplying the guide data for Tivo. The guide for a particular zip code you see on Zap2it is what you will see on Tivo.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote