TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old Today, 04:42 PM   #1
drugrep

Way to determine Connection Rate to Router (Tx Rate)

On my computer, I can determine my computer's connection rate to my router is lets say 145 Mbps.

Is there a way I can determine Tivo connection rate with router. I thought I may be able to do it from the router but I don't see it anywhere. Using Linksys WRT1900ac.

I'm just curious what the Tivo's doing. I actually connect much faster to 2.4 ghz on my computer than I do to the 5 ghz. 145 Mbps at 2.4 GHz v 41 Mbps at 5 GHz.)

Thanks in advance.

Series 2 Dual Tuner (Retired)
Series 1 (Retired)

Last edited by drugrep; Today at 05:58 PM.
drugrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:17 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugrep View Post
On my computer, I can determine my computer's connection rate to my router is 450 mbps.

Is there a way I can determine Tivo connection rate with router. I thought I may be able to do it from the router but I don't see it anywhere. Using Linksys WRT1900ac.

I'm just curious what the Tivo's doing. I actually connect much faster to 2.4 ghz on my computer than I do to the 5 ghz.

Thanks in advance.
I feel for you. In the old days, I had CNET podcast download and could check my total internet throughput. Now I can measure the transfer rate between my Premiere and Roamio. Both are wired 100baseT Ethernet to 802.11ac wireless. Here's a funny thing. If I initiate a transfer from the Premiere the rate is 60Mbps. If I initiate the transfer from the Roamio it's 80Mbps. Those are rounding down numbers. It's a curious thing and tuners or Standby have no affect.

When using Desktop plus, I can get 100Mbps from the Roamio. This is with a link speed on the PC of 867Mbps. Both my Roamio and Premiere are base units, so 100Mbps is max anyhow.

When you say "connect much faster", "connect" to what?

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 PM   #3
drugrep

Edited my OP to clarify myself but:

To router. My Tx Rate from computer to router right now 145 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. When on 5 GHz, I only connect at 41 GHz. I'd like to know what my Tivo is connecting at when using 5 GHz v 2.4 GHz.

Series 2 Dual Tuner (Retired)
Series 1 (Retired)
drugrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:35 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
You could connect the computer to the router using Ethernet and then use the web server to download a show from the TiVo to the computer. That will give you a fairly accurate reading on how fast your TiVo is connecting.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:36 PM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugrep View Post
Edited my OP to clarify myself but:

To router. My Tx Rate from computer to router right now 145 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. When on 5 GHz, I only connect at 41 GHz. I'd like to know what my Tivo is connecting at when using 5 GHz v 2.4 GHz.
I've had several routers from different manufacturers and I can't remember one that let me measure the speed of any device except my internet connection. I like 5GHz for quality mostly, since there are a few servers near me on 2.4GHZ. I also see over a dozen pads and phones on 802.11ac so I like my ugly but strong Netgear R7500. I know that I don't know everything when it comes to channels and bandwidth. I do know it makes a difference. My 2.4GHZ link is on channel 1 and my 5GHz link is on channel 153. I have also observed that some utilities can not display accurate information since they were designed before the 802.11a and ac became popular. One I recommend is inSSIDer which has a free version for home use. It will tell you your channel quality and the strength of surrounding signals. My Win8.1 PC shows me the phones and other non-router devices. It's a crowded world. I'm pretty rural yet see a lot of EM "noise."

To my knowledge, the TiVo doesn't have any diag that shows it's network speed to the router. You can measure speed between TiVo boxes and a PC can measure the speed of data from the TiVo, through the router, and on to your PC. Desktop does that, and I think FTP can also be used, but I never tried it.

The speed between my two Premieres is just over 60Mbps. Both are 802.11ac to the router. One goes to a Netgear EX6200 and the other uses a Linksys WUMC710. My Roamio uses an ASUS EA-N66R.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote