TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Ben_Jamin75

Roamio & Mini MoCA setup help

Hello all,
I have been a TiVo user for 10+ years, and I previously had a Roamio & Mini setup in my house. Unfortunately this past spring I had a house fire, my mini was destroyed and my 5 month old Roamio had a lot of smoke inhalation.
While my house gets repaired, I'm staying in an apartment. When I first moved in the apartment I had the cable company (Buckeye Cablesystem) install their whole home media gateway system. Their system is a moxie system on arris equipment.

In the living room there is the main "gateway", which serves as the cable modem, wired/wifi/MOCA router, VOIP box, & 6 tuner DVR. Attached via Ethernet cable is a smaller box which is then hooked to the tv.

In the bedroom, there is an identical small box, attached via MOCA, which is hooked to the tv. The apartment building has cable jacks in the walls, and the cable installer did what he needed to do in the electrical room for the MOCA network to work (proper splitters, POE filter etc)

Setting up my new mini (when it arrives tomorrow) should be a no brainier, move the coax & hdmi cables from cable's box to the mini.

The living room is where I'm struggling a little. I have one coax cable coming out of the wall. It will need to serve signal to a tuning adapter, the Roamio, and the gateway box (it will eventually be swapped to a non-DVR cable modem).

I'm hoping the MOCA network created by the "gateway" will be compatible with both the mini & Roamio. If not, it won't be an issue to connect an Ethernet cable and have the Roamio bridge to the mini.

My first instinct was to use a high quality/range splitter. Have one leg go the gateway, the other go to thru the tuning adapter, then to the Roamio. But then I've heard stories of where MOCA & tuning adapters don't play well, or where the tuning adapter makes the signal weaker. (Buckeye uses motorola tuning adapters & cable cards)

If I went with a 3 way splitter, usually they are internally a 2 way splitter with one leg being split a second time; creating one split that is stronger than the other 2. If I go that route, which device should get the stronger signal?
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75 View Post
If I went with a 3 way splitter, usually they are internally a 2 way splitter with one leg being split a second time; creating one split that is stronger than the other 2. If I go that route, which device should get the stronger signal?
I would probably put either the gateway or the tuning adapter on the stronger port, since they have to send signals all the way out to the cable company's equipment. The Roamio's MoCA signals never have to leave the house.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Ben_Jamin75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I would probably put either the gateway or the tuning adapter on the stronger port, since they have to send signals all the way out to the cable company's equipment. The Roamio's MoCA signals never have to leave the house.
True, but the Roamio will be internally splitting the signal to its 6 tuners....
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75 View Post
True, but the Roamio will be internally splitting the signal to its 6 tuners....
True, but the Roamio has a built in amp to compensate for loss of signal due to that. I actually had to put my Roamio on a weaker port of a 3-way splitter to drop the signal down. The internal Roamio amp seems to be pretty powerful.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote