TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
jap3

Download Manager not working

I noticed I haven't gotten any of my web downloads for the past week. When I go into Download Manger and chose a show, it does a quick transition like it's going to another screen, then immediately goes back to my list of shows. I can't dig deeper into each show.

Anyone else have this problem?

Tried a reset to no avail. Also a member of beta testing but I'm not sure what the latest version is.

Tivo Roamio Software version 20.4.6a.RC1-USA-6-848

edit: Well, after culling through the forums, I see that now I go to Find TV...Web Video Hotlist. But no download as far as I can tell. We have to navigate to the show we want and watch it stream. I'm not happy.

Last edited by jap3; 03-29-2015 at 10:58 PM.
jap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
JNEggie

I am another NOT HAPPY person with this change! When I am wanting to watch a 3-5 min short web video, I don't need to spend 7-10 min navigating and waiting for it to load!

JNEggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
rsnaider

Broken for most if not all it would seem. I have not had a download in almost 2 weeks as well.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Pro - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
Broken for most if not all it would seem. I have not had a download in almost 2 weeks as well.
That is because they killed off the feature.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
catburt
OldGeek

I called support for this issue a week ago thinking tickets this might get them to reconsider. I was told that that I had opted-out on tracking about a year ago so my video downloads stopped working 9 months later. They had no ideal what I was talking about. Take some time and open a ticket. I had 8 videos subscriptions download a week. I will miss this feature.

catburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
SRAINESS

Just got off chat with support. Saying it will be fixed with software update within the next 3 weeks... We will see..

SRAINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAINESS View Post
Just got off chat with support. Saying it will be fixed with software update within the next 3 weeks... We will see..
It may just mean they are adding Web Video Hotlist support for OnePass. Which would be fine for most people (although it is streaming only).

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
tootal2

Quote:
I hope so, this was one of the main reason I went back to tivo. I like having everything in my shows. I will have to start using my roku 3 again

tootal2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
raqball

I'm not interested Web Video Hotlist.

I didn't buy a Tivo to be bombarded with ads which is exactly what Hotlist does.

Downloads was one of the reasons I purchased the Tivo. That and the apps like MLB.TV, Netflix, Hulu Plus and Yahoo Screen. The MLB.TV app is terrible and Hulu Plus is even worse.

What's next?

I have a week left in my return period so it looks like the Roamio with lifetime is going back.

No thanks! I'm an OTA'er so if I am going to have to use my Roku to replace the Tivo's removed functionality then I might as well save some cash and go the Channel Master DVR+ route.

This is a money grab on Tivo's part at the expense of their customers.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
Mikeguy

Quote:
So much seemingly contradictory info. Here's hoping.

Mikeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
RojCowles

Blechhhh, I tried doing an A/B comparison between having these web video shows in My Shows via Download Manager vs Web Video Hotlist. Wasn't pretty with the way things are now.

As it currently stands it took almost 1 minute, plus a ton of remote presses, to go from the Tivo start screen to watching an arbitrary CNET video in WVH, whereas it'd be about 5 seconds and 3 or 4 button pushes through My Shows with downloaded files.

Also Web Video Hotlist has its own navigation conventions, which are just different enough to be annoying whereas Downloaded web videos just use Tivo standard navigation so, for me, its hard wired in...

Then again if Tivo can add support back for Web Video in My Shows so we have the content foldered again, these folders shows when there are new web shows available and pressing play on a show just streams the content from Web Video Hotlist without having to re-navigate through this App I think that'd be fine.

In the meantime I'm using wmcbrine's HME/VLC app running on a PC to make web videos available on Tivo via their RSS feeds or streaming URLs. Its not as slick as Download Manager was but miles better than the state of WVH in its current incarnation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It may just mean they are adding Web Video Hotlist support for OnePass. Which would be fine for most people (although it is streaming only).

Old 03-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
shiffrin

I wrote to support about the lack of subscription capability in WVH and they told me to go to this web page and suggest it be added as a new feature. I doubt it will help, but I did do as they said and urge anyone else who wants it to add it also:

http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
Mikeguy

Quote:
Just chatted with Support and was told that the feature was removed. Nothing was said that the feature is being fixed. But the chat dude stated almost immediately in the chat that at his level, the reps. are never informed of things like before they happen.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #14
raqball

I'd be shocked if it came back. Tivo had a plan in place to do this for a long time is my guess.

It's a money grab. They will weather the storm of upset customers and maybe they even lose a few over the decision.

Companies can make one bad choice and survive it. Companies that keep making bad choices teeter on the brink of elimination. Tivo would not be the 1st company to go belly up due to bad decisions.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #15
Mikeguy

Just chatted TiVo back, and inquired if this move was an affirmative choice and removal or if TiVo instead was working to fix an issue. The response:

Quote:
The feature has been removed, there currently are no plans to restore it.
I don't mean to take my chat sessions too personally, but I was a bit amazed that in each session, the rep. simply said, "Yes, that is what we did. Have a good day. Good-bye."

And not to make this issue bigger than it is, but doesn't it kinda, sorta almost feel like (theft)? I mean, you pay for a box, it has capabilities, and then without permission (or even notice), a significant capability is removed. I'm sure (if TiVo's lawyers were doing their jobs), the TiVo TOS says that TiVo may do anything to one's box and software and service that it likes and the customer has no (or limited) "rights." But it is interesting to me, that (in the middle of the night), a company comes into one's home and living room and silently removes part of one's service/presumed (property), and then without any notice, warning or acknowledgement besides. Imagine if Microsoft sent out a Windows update automatically removing the ability to download under Windows.

Yeah, I know the contrary positions and arguments. I'm just sayin' . . . . And disappointment/dissatisfaction with the decision registered with TiVo chat.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I'd be shocked if it came back. Tivo had a plan in place to do this for a long time is my guess.

It's a money grab. They will weather the storm of upset customers and maybe they even lose a few over the decision.
TiVo may lose a few irate customers in dramatic fashion, but the real problem will be future potential customers who may look at the shortcomings in TiVo's feature set and decide to go with some other option(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Companies can make one bad choice and survive it. Companies that keep making bad choices teeter on the brink of elimination. Tivo would not be the 1st company to go belly up due to bad decisions.
Coca Cola and Netflix both made bad decisions and survived, but they survived by reversing the bad decisions. When you screw up, you have to recognize it and fix the problems you've created. TiVo could still do that.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojCowles View Post
In the meantime I'm using wmcbrine's HME/VLC app running on a PC to make web videos available on Tivo via their RSS feeds or streaming URLs. Its not as slick as Download Manager was but miles better than the state of WVH in its current incarnation.
Could you explain this process further/provide a link? Just trying to figure out a means to get TWiT (which doesn't even seem to be available via WVH, unless I just missed it) on my Roamio, or if I should simply just download and watch via PC and call it a day.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
TiVo may lose a few irate customers in dramatic fashion, but the real problem will be future potential customers who may look at the shortcomings in TiVo's feature set and decide to go with some other option(s).
This is me.. I am returning mine for a refund and will just go with a DVR+ and a Roku. Sure there are things I will miss on the Tivo but if I am forced to use 2 boxes I might as well save some cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Coca Cola and Netflix both made bad decisions and survived, but they survived by reversing the bad decisions. When you screw up, you have to recognize it and fix the problems you've created. TiVo could still do that.
Very true but it sounds like Tivo has no plans to do so and if they signed a mega cash grab deal to use Hotlist then their hands are probably tied..

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #19
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Could you explain this process further/provide a link? Just trying to figure out a means to get TWiT (which doesn't even seem to be available via WVH, unless I just missed it) on my Roamio, or if I should simply just download and watch via PC and call it a day.
You could always just stream it from the cruddy Tivo YouTube app..

Not the solution you are looking for I know but it's an option I suppose..

Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #20
Mikeguy

Thanks, when I had looked at that earlier (quickly), it seemed difficult to find a latest episode, in the jumble of results. But will have to explore more fully.

I did like the idea, as others have said, of just having the show appear in one's My Shows listing--no searching required. I.e., like a subscription (what a TiVo is supposed to do . . .).

Old 03-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #21
raqball

Quote:
Thanks, when I had looked at that earlier (quickly), it seemed difficult to find a latest episode, in the jumble of results. But will have to explore more fully.

I did like the idea, as others have said, of just having the show appear in one's My Shows listing--no searching required. I.e., like a subscription (what a TiVo is supposed to do . . .).
You can link the Tivo to your YouTube account then subscribe to the feeds / shows you want to watch.

Once in the YouTube app just go to your subscriptions..

Old 03-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #22
Mikeguy

Thanks, a great idea--will explore that.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:08 PM   #23
RojCowles

Sure, actually just to be awkward I installed on a Linux (Ubuntu) server but I think there are instructions in the ReadMe for Mac and PC too

I grabbed the Zip from this link

http://wmcbrine.com/tivo/hme-vlc-3.6.zip

You need Python and VLC, you can get an installer for both from ninite.com which makes it easy IMHO, open the network ports 9043 and 9044 (if you have a firewall) put entries like this into the config.ini file :-

[Fully Charged]
rss=http://blip.tv/fullycharged/rss

[CNET: Next Big Thing]
rss=http://feed.cnet.com/feed/podcast/next-big-thing.xml

[CNET: CNET On Cars]
rss=http://feed.cnet.com/feed/podcast/cnet-on-cars/hd.xml

[TWiT HD]
rss=http://feeds.twit.tv/brickhouse_video_hd.xml

and then just run the start.py script.

On your Tivo look for the HME/VLC App under "Apps and Games" and when you run it you should have an RSS Feeds folder that give you access to the latest CNET/whatever shows

Fair amount of setup and no guarentee that Tivo won't break it in a future update but for now I quite like it. Minimal startup time, nice clean interface even on a small TV across the room and the video starts quickly too once you select it.

Quote:

Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #24
Mikeguy

Thanks--will see if I have the energy for that. Or, just try to grab from YouTube, or simply watch on my tablet and call it a day . . . .

Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #25
DarcyM

Got off the phone with support voicing my displeasure over feature removals. Agent let slip 20.4.7 will remove download manager but when quizzed wouldn't give any details as to what other surprises await us. I reminded the agent while they might not be overly concerned about the loss of retail customers, they need to remember we are the MSO's customers and the end result won't be what they expect.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

DarcyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #26
Houdini

This is ridiculous....I love the way they take away a major feature like Download Manager and not even have the decency to tell us about it. I will never recommend Tivo to anyone again. Take back OnePass and restore the Download Manager feature. Tivo has really pissed me off this time. Had a dozen Video Podcasts downloading and when I called support the other day...TWICE...both times the "technical support" response was "DUH, I have no idea"
They have so much other crap being loaded from this box, that it took hours to make sure I wasn't missing something....shameful respect for customers.

Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #27
Mikeguy

I just don't get it--why remove a helpful feature that users like, use and find helpful?

Is this, as has been suggested, an ad issue? Downloads Manager doesn't forward ad revenue, while the HotList does/will?

And I'm totally overlooking in this comment TiVo's sneaky, underhanded, and anti-user manner of handling this entire episode.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #28
archangelsfv

+1 to all the above comments.

In the vein of putting in a good faith effort, I tried watching some CNET videos last night on WVH. One CNET on Cars video wouldn't play at all with an undisclosed error... but it sure was able to play an ad for HULU each and every time I launched that specific video.

Eventually got up to having watched 5 videos between CNET on Cars and CNET Update when the interface just froze. The TiVo responded to button presses (yellow circle lighting on the TiVo's front) but I could NOT get out of the WVH interface. Had to reboot the entire system just to get back to the home screen. Wish they could've included some kind of force-quit option for when the app doesn't respond.

Thanks TiVo for replacing something that worked effortlessly, made sense, and served up information ready for consumption with something that has a kludgy interface, is cumbersome to use, and is active rather than passive, when it works.

Staring at the WVH interface again right now to give it another try and there's a channel called "BREAK"... Probably does what it says. Ironic.

archangelsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #29
hforman

Angry Anything to Do with Amazon Video?

We received some sort of email that Amazon Video was going away in a few weeks (a few weeks ago). Now, all of a sudden, Amazon seems to still be there. I know this should be for the other forum but, as an aside, we also have a Tivo series 2 and the podcast video menu item has been replaced by "Amazon Video". So, I'm wondering if this change to all of out Tivos (including the Roamio Pro) is some sort of overall dumb move on the part of Tivo. Also, we are finding bugs all of the time on the Roamio Pro that I'm no longer going to buy any Tivos and may think of replacing the ones that we have even if we have lifetime on all of them.

Tivo Roamio Pro
Tivo HD XL (Series 3)
Pioneer 810-HS with 500gb disk (hers)
Sony Ser. 1 (mine)
hforman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #30
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hforman View Post
So, I'm wondering if this change to all of out Tivos (including the Roamio Pro) is some sort of overall dumb move on the part of Tivo.
Yep.

Let TiVo know your opinion of this and ask it to return the Downloads Manager and related capability:

http://tivoproduction.force.com/Supp...actTiVoSupport