TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
drebbe
Carbon Blob

TiVo Introduces OnePass

TiVo Introduces OnePass; Only From TiVo: One Remote, One Box, OnePass

From: http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...cle&ID=2002874

Multi-Source Binge-Watching on TiVo Instantly Gathers Every Episode of a TV Series Regardless of Source; Live or Recorded TV, VOD or Streaming Apps Seamlessly Presented

TiVo Inc. a leader in the advanced television entertainment market today introduced TiVo OnePass, an all access solution available on TV in your home or via TiVo mobile apps, that tracks down every episode of a show you want to catch up on and displays all of the episodes in your My Shows folder to serve as the ultimate multi-source binge-watching solution.

TiVo OnePass organizes episodes of your favorite shows by season, and if an episode or a season is not available as a recording, OnePass will include episodes from your on-demand library or streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and Hulu Plus.

"As we continue to see exponential growth in binge watching and the nearly ubiquitous presence of OTT video subscription services alongside traditional cable, TiVo continues to fulfill our mission to deliver the best entertainment experience for viewers," said Jim Denney, Vice President of Product Marketing at TiVo. "With OnePass, we can shorten the time to get users to the content to which they subscribe much easier than needing to search individual services. OnePass is a significant step in our continued efforts to simplify and organize the exploding amount of great content available today -- a solution we know becomes even more important as individual TV shows, movies and videos are spread throughout an increasing number of entertainment services."

Creating the TiVo OnePass Experience is simple -- all it takes is a few clicks:

-- Strongest Search - Search for and select your favorite show through TiVo Search
-- Serious Options - OnePass comes with a variety of options including recording and streaming all content, or you have the option of selecting only recordings or only streaming videos to avoid using disk space
-- One Episode or the Whole Season - Across all platforms and apps, you can include all seasons, start with a particular season or only include new episodes
-- Organized Chaos - All OnePass streaming and recorded videos can be found in your "My Shows" section, organized in folders with the name of your favorite show, so the content you love is easiest to find and watch immediately

Additional Features of TiVo OnePass:

-- Memory - TiVo will remember which recording you last watched and bookmark the next episode
-- Sorting - TiVo gives you the freedom to organize your episodes by "newest" or by "season"
-- Get More - Save space on your hard drive by leveraging streaming options so you can use the local storage for what you really want to record

Availability
TiVo OnePass will roll to TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini devices in February.
Not home? Not a problem. The OnePass experience will accessible through the free TiVo app for iOS in February and Android devices in March.

Last edited by drebbe; 01-05-2015 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Added URL to official PR
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Interesting.

In the last year Tivo has been dialing up the effort to fulfill some of the more long-time feature requests. Seems as though perhaps the platform is mature/stable enough to be able to finally put more time on these kinds of things?

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
reneg

Hopefully, they have a better source than Tribune guide data.

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

Sounds like it's just an extension of their existing universal Search capabilities.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Keen

Being able to tell a Tivo to just record one specific season will make me pretty happy. It's a feature that comes up from time to time, and I've never been happy with the current solution.

I'm curious if some of these One Pass features can be adapted to be used for just following along with the currently-airing season of shows too.

Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
True. While all prime time network series typically always have the correct guide data, cable networks showing re-runs of old shows can be a crap-shoot. OnePass seems like it would be a great feature to methodically record one of those old shows from cable re-runs to binge-watch in the future. However, the feature is going to only be as good as the guide data. Setting up OnePass to collect Season 2 of Big Bang Theory off TBSHD is great in theory, but it would be really annoying to start watching that season to find out half of the episodes aren't actually from Season 2, or worst-case, not even Big Bang Theory due to bad data from Tribune Media Services.

Of course, this only applies to recorded content. Streaming content wouldn't be affected and being able to choose episodes from Netflix or Amazon Prime via the typical Tivo interface is compelling.

tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
I doubt they are using any type of new data for this since the basis of this new feature is already in place. You can already browse a show in TiVo search and see each episode listing and what services it is available on. It appears this new feature is just a way to wrap it into a new UI for creating season passes so that you can watch from any of those sources without searching.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
wscottcross

I'm new to Tivo after cutting the cable with Comcast. I was hoping that this functionality was already in the Tivo, but I'm happy that it's coming soon. I at least did some research and got the Roamio basic with lifetime and upgraded the drive to 3TB myself.

wscottcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

That is pretty cool...

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
tomhorsley

Will it search for them on bittorrents? :-).

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Will it search for them on bittorrents? :-).
Nice!

I suspect... No

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
trip1eX

"-- Sorting - TiVo gives you the freedom to organize your episodes by "newest" or by "season"

This is big news for quite a few digital hoarders here right?

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
jrtroo
User

Roamio only, for now? Or will the cable cos get them to expand to premieres like they did with Amazon Prime?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

Press release says Roamios and Minis if Feb, no mention of Premiere. It's not officially ruled out until it is, but it sounds like they could be inching towards the EOL.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Roamio only, for now? Or will the cable cos get them to expand to premieres like they did with Amazon Prime?
I do not think the Cable Cos are forcing TiVo to update the Premieres with Amazon. The Cable Cos are far more likely to require TiVo to disable Netflix and Amazon then they are to require it.

I do think you are going to start to see a fork in the code between the Roamio and Premieres. No telling where they will draw that line in the sand.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
wscottcross

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I do not think the Cable Cos are forcing TiVo to update the Premieres with Amazon. The Cable Cos are far more likely to require TiVo to disable Netflix and Amazon then they are to require it.

I do think you are going to start to see a fork in the code between the Roamio and Premieres. No telling where they will draw that line in the sand.
Maybe this update is that very line?

wscottcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #17
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottcross View Post
Maybe this update is that very line?
Maybe - they may decide to include it in a future Premiere update and they may not. It does make TiVo sense that Roamio will continue to get new features exclusively for a certain period of time.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
"-- Sorting - TiVo gives you the freedom to organize your episodes by "newest" or by "season"

I'm not a hoarder, but sometimes I'll miss an episode of a show and have to record it at a later date, which screws up the order in the folder because it's always in record order. Being able to put them in season order will be nice.

Although sometimes networks will broadcast shows out of order to put more exciting episodes around sweeps. I wonder if this feature will honor the real order or the broadcast order?

In any case this whole OnePass thing sounds cool. Will be very nice to consolidate episodes from all sources into a single place like this. I have some shows that I started watching via Netflix but recorded the current season via broadcast. Being able to combine them all into one place like this will make binge watching a lot easier.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am not a hoarder either, but I often do not discover a show until it has been playing for several seasons. This would be perfect to "catch up" on a season or two before the new season starts...

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

This sounds pretty good to me. Sounds like it will be great for shows that are recorded and saved to watch several months down the road.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #21
supasta

Quote:

The option to organize by episode number would be a real win here. Hopefully organized by season also breaks down by episode number. I'm assuming the intent of OnePass is to show everything in one place, and in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Press release says Roamios and Minis if Feb, no mention of Premiere. It's not officially ruled out until it is, but it sounds like they could be inching towards the EOL.
The press release does indeed say February. It, however, does not note a year

/sly poke at TiVo software upgrade releases

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #22
Bigg

I could see a few narrow use cases for this, but in general, it doesn't seem very useful.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I could see a few narrow use cases for this, but in general, it doesn't seem very useful.
Yeah that's my feeling. Don't really care.

Between streaming services and not seeing a scenario where I would store a ton of episodes of one show for a long period of time, this feature didn't even register on my cardiogram.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #24
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Yeah that's my feeling. Don't really care.

Between streaming services and not seeing a scenario where I would store a ton of episodes of one show for a long period of time, this feature didn't even register on my cardiogram.
I don't know, having a mechanism to populate OTT streaming content in you NPL list seems like a pretty significant update to me.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #25
reneg

I wonder if "Regardless of Source" includes pyTivo shares.

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #26
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I wonder if "Regardless of Source" includes pyTivo shares.
I am sure the answer to that is no... They do not treat the Togo repository as an OTT source.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #27
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
You can already browse a show in TiVo search and see each episode listing and what services it is available on.
While I use the Explore a Show and Episode List pretty often, there are some pretty GLARING flaws that should be fixed.

Basically, I think EVERY SINGLE episode list has "extra" items that appear. There seems to almost always be an extra one that shows up at the end of the list with the same date as the premiere date (but without any other show info).. and sometimes there are other duplicate items that overlap/conflict with existing ones with real data.

Episode List should always remove any redundant items if they match another item that does have more useful info (summary/episode title). Heck, there should probably even be a way to not list ANY of the "generic" items that show up here, since very often they're all bogus. (One time they're not bogus is for a currently airing show where future episodes have episode #s and dates, but no other info.)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #28
WorldBandRadio

I'd sure wish that the people at TiVo put some time into fixing the bugs in the current Roamio software.

New features are nice, of course. But given TiVo's track record, the phrase "new features" means "more bugs."

Would it be at all possible for TiVo to do a release that addresses the bugs in the software that is running on the TiVo devices we've purchased?

What good are all these new features when I still have to reset my TiVo multiple times in order to have season passes to work properly, with the side effect of having my recorded programs moved to the deleted list?

Is it too much to expect that the TiVo software just works?

WorldBandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldBandRadio View Post
I'd sure wish that the people at TiVo put some time into fixing the bugs in the current Roamio software.

New features are nice, of course. But given TiVo's track record, the phrase "new features" means "more bugs."

Would it be at all possible for TiVo to do a release that addresses the bugs in the software that is running on the TiVo devices we've purchased?

What good are all these new features when I still have to reset my TiVo multiple times in order to have season passes to work properly, with the side effect of having my recorded programs moved to the deleted list?

Is it too much to expect that the TiVo software just works?
You have to reset the TiVo? I have over 140 Season Passes on my Roamio Pro and don't have any issues with my Season passes. No need to reset the Tivo and no programs getting erroneously moved to the deleted folder.

I only have around 25 Season passes on my Roamio Basic but I don't have any issues with the Season passes or recordings getting erroneously deleted either.

EDIT: I just checked KMTTG. I actually have 174 Season Passes on my Roamio Pro.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-05-2015 at 11:59 PM..
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #30
WorldBandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You have to reset the TiVo?...
Yeah. And it is a pain.

I try to schedule a new season pass, and all I see is the infamous spinning blue circle.

And after watching that spinning blue circle for a while, my request to schedule a season pass is not fulfilled.

So, in order to allow me to schedule season passes, apparently I have to place a chicken in a paper bag and spin it over my head three times.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=522798
and suffer the side effects of my recorded programs being deleted.

Yeah, I have to reset the TiVo.

WorldBandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote