TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old Today, 12:54 PM   #1
gt77

Roamio - Dolby Sound Issues

Newbie here.

Hello. Hoping someone can help! I recently upgraded from a Series 3 Tivo to a Roamio Plus. The Tivo is connected via HDMI and Optical to my Amplifier (Yamaha). I simply removed the connections from the old Tivo, and plugged them into the Roamio....

Now, when I un-pause any roamio recordings or live TV, I get this incredibly loud static / scratchy noise through the Amplifier. I can see that when TV is paused, the AMP is receiving PCM (2 channel from Tivo), when I un-pause it changes to 5ch audio, which is when the terrible noise occurs. I never had this problem on the old Series3.

I tried Tivo support, and they will only troubleshoot anything that connects to a TV only. Also, I don't want to buy a new AMP that supports Audio passthrough on HDMI. (apparently Tivo will do Dolby Digital over HDMI, but I can't confirm this).. The other option is to go HDMI to TV, then optical from TV to AMP, but I'm 99% sure that the TV doesn't support 5ch Audio passthrough from HDMI to Optical....

The short of it is, I think there's a problem with the Roamio, and Tivo wont even attempt to help.

any thoughts? thanks!
gt77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Why do you have both connections? Does your receiver not accept audio over HDMI and only pass it through? Only HDMI should be needed to get Dolby digital. This would at least simplify your troubleshooting.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:33 PM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt77 View Post
Newbie here.

Hello. Hoping someone can help! I recently upgraded from a Series 3 Tivo to a Roamio Plus. The Tivo is connected via HDMI and Optical to my Amplifier (Yamaha). I simply removed the connections from the old Tivo, and plugged them into the Roamio....

Now, when I un-pause any roamio recordings or live TV, I get this incredibly loud static / scratchy noise through the Amplifier. I can see that when TV is paused, the AMP is receiving PCM (2 channel from Tivo), when I un-pause it changes to 5ch audio, which is when the terrible noise occurs. I never had this problem on the old Series3.

I tried Tivo support, and they will only troubleshoot anything that connects to a TV only. Also, I don't want to buy a new AMP that supports Audio passthrough on HDMI. (apparently Tivo will do Dolby Digital over HDMI, but I can't confirm this).. The other option is to go HDMI to TV, then optical from TV to AMP, but I'm 99% sure that the TV doesn't support 5ch Audio passthrough from HDMI to Optical....

The short of it is, I think there's a problem with the Roamio, and Tivo wont even attempt to help.

any thoughts? thanks!
Thoughts: why do you not get DD5.1 from your cable since on broadcast channels like CBS and NBC are always 5.1. I go HDMI to my AVR that indicates 5.1 unless the content is DD2.0, like some CW programs. I don't "force" my sub, so when the LFE LED illuminates I know 5.1 is active. I can also check the "info" on the channels, but I'm lazy. My TV (Sony) always passes DD5.1 out its optical port also. And I still get clear QAM HD locals with DD5.1 and feed my AVR via optical when I watch live TV on its tuner.

I have the Settings, Audio, Dolby set to Use Dolby Audio if that matters. IF I set it to PCM, what comes out is PCM 48kHz 2.0.

The noise is interesting. I would change the cable and keep the video fixed at 1080i. Just a thought.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:37 PM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

I do what you're doing. Roamio to TV via HDMI and audio to my Yamaha amp via digital optical. No problems for me.

My Yamaha is over 15 years old.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote