TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Fist of Death
Bon Vivant

Video Quality Differences using Mini?

I've got a new Roamio on the way and, with six tuners and two Mini's, I have the option of placing the Roamio in a more convenient location. But this flexibility presupposes that video quality (Roamio direct to best TV via HDMI, vs. Roamio to Mini via network to best TV via HDMI) is the same. So, has anybody done any side-by-side comparisons? Is the HDMI video put out by the Mini the same as direct from the main unit?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Death View Post
I've got a new Roamio on the way and, with six tuners and two Mini's, I have the option of placing the Roamio in a more convenient location. But this flexibility presupposes that video quality (Roamio direct to best TV via HDMI, vs. Roamio to Mini via network to best TV via HDMI) is the same. So, has anybody done any side-by-side comparisons? Is the HDMI video put out by the Mini the same as direct from the main unit?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
The Mini may not support 1080p60 like the Roamio boxes so the internal upscaler might be one inherent advantage of the Roamio for Primary Television Viewing.

Note: This is speculation on my part since I haven't received 100% confirmation that Roamio's can scale all content to 1080p60.

It also seems like the RF remote of the Roamio provides another advantage.

Understood that your question was about video quality. I expect in general the video quality should be equivalent although I have read anecdotal reports in these forums about some quality differences.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Fist of Death
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
The Mini may not support 1080p60 like the Roamio boxes so the internal upscaler might be one inherent advantage of the Roamio for Primary Television Viewing.

Note: This is speculation on my part since I haven't received 100% confirmation that Roamio's can scale all content to 1080p60.

It also seems like the RF remote of the Roamio provides another advantage...
I hadn't considered these points. Thanks. This solves my placement question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
...Understood that your question was about video quality. I expect in general the video quality should be equivalent although I have read anecdotal reports in these forums about some quality differences.
I've read these anecdotal reports as well, but cannot understand logically how this might happen. Unless the Mini has a cheaper or less effective video converter.