TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #1
galandy

RF remote not working at all with new Roamio OTA

Hello,

I just got a brand new Roamio OTA. However, once I pair the remote in RF mode, the Tivo does not seem to respond at all. It only works when switching to IR mode.

I reset the remote several times, and restarted the Tivo as well. Is there any way to troubleshoot what's going on with RF mode?

Thanks

galandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by galandy View Post
Hello,

I just got a brand new Roamio OTA. However, once I pair the remote in RF mode, the Tivo does not seem to respond at all. It only works when switching to IR mode.

I reset the remote several times, and restarted the Tivo as well. Is there any way to troubleshoot what's going on with RF mode?

Thanks
When the TiVo gets a command the amber LED lights. The remote LED is amber for RF, red for IR. Both ok?

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
galandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
When the TiVo gets a command the amber LED lights. The remote LED is amber for RF, red for IR. Both ok?
The remote lights both work fine, depending on the mode the remote is set to. They are amber for RF and red for IR. However the tivo amber LED light only blinks when the remote is in IR mode. Nothing happens when the remote is in RF mode.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
The remote lights both work fine, depending on the mode the remote is set to. They are amber for RF and red for IR. However the tivo amber LED light only blinks when the remote is in IR mode. Nothing happens when the remote is in RF mode.
I guess that you have tried the remote control pairing under settings, Remote control setup, Part 5:Remote control pairing? Under system info there is a Remote Address: which is I guess starts at zero (where mine is). By testing this I lost my Battery Level.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
galandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I guess that you have tried the remote control pairing under settings, Remote control setup, Part 5:Remote control pairing? Under system info there is a Remote Address: which is I guess starts at zero (where mine is). By testing this I lost my Battery Level.
Yes, first I reset the remote, which causes the amber light to blink. Then I go to "Part 5:Remote control pairing", which causes the remote to stop blinking. It looks like it is paired? But the Tivo does not receive any command after pairing.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
krkaufman

Quote:
However the tivo amber LED light only blinks when the remote is in IR mode. Nothing happens when the remote is in RF mode.
Sounds like your REMOTE is bad.

When I'm using the Roamio remote in RF mode the LED will blink AMBER when sending commands to its paired Roamio; however, occasionally, the remote will temporarily lose its RF connection with its Roamio and will fallback to IR communication and the LED will then blink RED for a command or two.

If you're not seeing ANY LED blinks when in RF mode, it makes me believe you have a bad remote. (Which is possible, my personal sampling has been 1 bad remote received out of 10 total.)

edit: Contact TiVO and I'm sure they'll fix you up, right quick.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Teeps

I have read in other discussions that the roamio remote is flaky with regard to RF function.
The one I have likes to switch between RF & IR on its own; but works either way.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I have read in other discussions that the roamio remote is flaky with regard to RF function.
The one I have likes to switch between RF & IR on its own; but works either way.
I'm having the "IR fallback" issue with a Roamio remote, but I haven't gotten around to testing whether the issue might abate if I moved the paired Mini from behind the 65" WiFi-enabled LED TV to a distance as far as my HDMI cable might allow.

I've heard tell that LED TVs can cause WiFi interference, so I'm wondering if they might also affect the remote's RF connectivity.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
RoyK

Quote:
The remote that came with my roamio was that way. I'd have to stab the play button four or five times sometimes to stop a fast forward. The red led was flashing instead of the yellow even though the remote was in RF mode. Then it would work fine for a while then do it again.

It got so annoying that I bought a new remote from Amazon. It does the exact same thing. Usually working just fine then getting in that flaky mode.

RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
I've heard tell that LED TVs can cause WiFi interference, so I'm wondering if they might also affect the remote's RF connectivity.
Never heard that, but as RoyK posts below.
The problem lies in the remote not outputting RF as evidenced by the red led instead of amber.
My remote acts the same as Roy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
The remote that came with my roamio was that way. I'd have to stab the play button four or five times sometimes to stop a fast forward. The red led was flashing instead of the yellow even though the remote was in RF mode. Then it would work fine for a while then do it again.

It got so annoying that I bought a new remote from Amazon. It does the exact same thing. Usually working just fine then getting in that flaky mode.
Good to know that a new remote is also having rf/ir switching problems.
I won't waste the $$$ for a replacement.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
krkaufman

Quote:
The problem lies in the remote not outputting RF as evidenced by the red led instead of amber.
Yeah, I understand the symptom, and it happens because the remote/host RF communication is temporarily lost... for some reason. You'll find the remote will revert to IR whenever you reboot the TiVo, as well, since it loses the RF connection.

Apparently the RF connection between these remotes and their host is tenuous.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
HarperVision

I know plasma TVs can cause interference. Never heard of LEDs doing that though.

I remember reading back shortly after the Roamio came out that here were a few people with remote issues and someone opened their TiVo and noticed a small wire with connector wasn't seated properly. After they seated it and made a good connection, all was well. May be worth a shot.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
tarheel115

One of my remotes is having the same problem amber sometimes red other times

tarheel115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel115 View Post
One of my remotes is having the same problem amber sometimes red other times
It will be red when you press any buttons programmed for the TV functions like input, volume, mute, etc. Is it only red when you press these buttons, or sometimes when you press TiVo specific ones?

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #15
tarheel115

Tivo fuctions.. I wait after red appears and then it goes amber and works after a few attempts

tarheel115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #16
galandy

After talking with Tivo's Customer Service, they are sending me a replacement remote... if that doesn't work, then they will have to replace the Tivo itself... hope it doesn't come to that!

Old 05-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
Time_Slip

Try these remote codes if your having problems with rf

Tivo and D buttons to put in rf mode
Tivo and C buttons to put in ir mode

Transmit RF during pairing: Why they dont put this in the text of step 5 is beyond me.
Tivo and Back buttons at the same time

Erase all paired remotes from tivo box:
Clear
Enter
Clear
Clear

Tivo remote global reset: Worked when remote was going in and out of rf
Make sure ir is covered up (front of remote)
Power and Tivo buttons at the same time
3 thumbs down
Enter
Then pair rf again with the box

Time_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #18
Time_Slip

I received a brand new OTA Roamio.
The remote was in rf mode but not working.
I erased all remotes from the box and then did a global reset with the remote. (see the steps above)
Then I paired the remote by the settings on the box.
During pairing I made sure the remote was in rf mode then I Transmitted the rf pairing by holding the Tivo and Back buttons at the same time.

Time_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #19
gespears

I have the Roamio and two mini's all using RF and have never had a problem even when I cart the remote into the kitchen to change channels in there.

Just wanted to drop my .02 so people don't think all the RF remotes are flakey.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote