TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
HarperVision

New Roamios with clear QAM?

The title says it all, will these work with clear QAM and no Cablecard?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Probably not. TiVo has never worked properly with clear QAM and I don't expect them to have changed that.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
HarperVision

I knew that but was hoping maybe the base model would have it since it supports atsc ota. A guy can dream can't he?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

The base model supports OTA or Cable, it does not support both. It only has one coax input and you have to pick OTA or Cable during setup.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
HarperVision

Yeah I realize that, but I'm asking if when you select cable you can set it up without a Cablecard and use it with whatever clear qam signals you can pickup on your cable line.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I seriously doubt it. In the past you could setup a TiVo without a CableCARD and manually tune the QAM channels but you couldn't get any guide data for them so it wasn't very useful. The guide data is all keyed to the mapped channel numbers used by the CableCARD not the actual QAM channels.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
BigJimOutlaw

If it does work without a cablecard, chances are it'd be the same as before and it wouldn't have guide data for the clear QAM channels.

Edit: what Dan said.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
HarperVision

Yeah I remember that. I was hoping maybe it'd be like most PC QAM tuners and allow you to tell it which qam channel maps to each real channel manually.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's more of a software change. I doubt there is enough demand for that for TiVo to ever invest the development resources to add it.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
bucm4sko24wle2mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I was hoping maybe it'd be like most PC QAM tuners and allow you to tell it which qam channel maps to each real channel manually.
My thoughts exactly!
bucm4sko24wle2mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I seriously doubt it. In the past you could setup a TiVo without a CableCARD and manually tune the QAM channels but you couldn't get any guide data for them so it wasn't very useful. The guide data is all keyed to the mapped channel numbers used by the CableCARD not the actual QAM channels.
The new Roamio work exactly like that too. You get the channels fine but no mapping to actual channels means no channel data and everything else that's dependent on it, like what to watch now
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
alansh

TiVo has decided that the way to map clear QAM is... install a cable card, which does it automatically.

Anything else means software development and support costs, and they just don't think it's something that will sell more TiVos.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There was no logical reason to expect this in the Roamio, and there is no reason to expect it in any future model of TiVo, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There was no logical reason to expect this in the Roamio, and there is no reason to expect it in any future model of TiVo, either.
On the other hand, you can do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
jonnyfive

So if I plug my TV straight into the wall, I get a bunch of channels (I'm assuming this is from the digital tuner in my TV??). However, I can't get my tivo connected because it won't work at all without a cablecard (I don't pay for any cable service, just COX internet). If I get one of the ebay cablecards, will I then be able to tune my tivo to all these same channels as my TV is getting?!
jonnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #16
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyfive View Post
So if I plug my TV straight into the wall, I get a bunch of channels (I'm assuming this is from the digital tuner in my TV??). However, I can't get my tivo connected because it won't work at all without a cablecard (I don't pay for any cable service, just COX internet). If I get one of the ebay cablecards, will I then be able to tune my tivo to all these same channels as my TV is getting?!
Possibly.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #17
Farplaner

I just did this with FiOS. While waiting for the installer with the CableCard I was able to get clearQAM channels with the Roamio Plus. I just needed to do a channel scan.

Also iPad streaming didn't work directly. But I can do recording and them stream it manually.
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farplaner View Post
I just did this with FiOS. While waiting for the installer with the CableCard I was able to get clearQAM channels with the Roamio Plus. I just needed to do a channel scan.
You can tune the channels without a card, but they won't be mapped to their correct numbers, so the guide data will be useless. (They also have a tendency to go missing after a while, requiring a rescan, at least with the non-TiVo tuners I've tried with Fios clear QAM.)

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #19
jonnyfive

Quote:
You can tune the channels without a card, but they won't be mapped to their correct numbers, so the guide data will be useless. (They also have a tendency to go missing after a while, requiring a rescan, at least with the non-TiVo tuners I've tried with Fios clear QAM.)
So with an ebay cablecard, it will add guide functionality?

I tried scanning channels back when I got the Roamio using the "add cablecard later" option. It found hundreds of channels, but after flipping through a bunch and none of them working, I figured they'd all be that way. Are you saying some of them do work?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
So with an ebay cablecard, it will add guide functionality?

I tried scanning channels back when I got the Roamio using the "add cablecard later" option. It found hundreds of channels, but after flipping through a bunch and none of them working, I figured they'd all be that way. Are you saying some of them do work?
Of those hundreds of QAM channels you found, most (maybe all?) of them were encrypted, and therefore not clear QAM channels. Some cable companies do send through the local broadcast channels unencrypted (aka "in the clear"), so it is likely that if you had tuned to those channels they would have tuned properly.

A CableCard bought off ebay should do the channel mapping which will make the guide data functional, assuming that you have an active TiVo subscription.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #21
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Are you saying some of them do work?
Yes. You don't have to scan, either.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #22
jonnyfive

Quote:
Yes. You don't have to scan, either.
Man, I feel dumb. I KNEW it could work if I spent more time on it. Thanks for the help guys, I'll try it out again this week. My Mohu Leaf has really been getting worse lately for HD channel availability.

And yes, I have a tivo subscription; lifetime.