TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
brianric

Wealknees Roamio Basic Model

Don't know if the Roamio basic model is a 2.5 or 3.5 drive, but Weakness is offering a basic model with 300 and 475 HD hours upgrade.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Don't know if the Roamio basic model is a 2.5 or 3.5 drive, but Weakness is offering a basic model with 300 and 475 HD hours upgrade.
Actually they're selling the plus model with a 2TB and 3TB drive upgrade as well.

I'm guessing it can't do 4TB then.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
MeInDallas

If they are putting a 3TB in the basic model, and it doesnt say anything about it being external, then that would lead me to believe it has a 3.5 hard drive internal. I dont know of any 3TB 2.5 hard drives. The largest I have found is 2TB.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
tatergator1

Since they have these available the day after launch, I'm thinking the file system changes, if any, are minor and that the old self-upgrade methods will be the same, or easily adapted.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
MeInDallas

OK I just called Weaknees on the phone, and the guy I spoke with confirmed that the base model does indeed use a 3.5 regular size hard drive NOT a smaller 2.5 size drive.

Whew!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
OK I just called Weaknees on the phone, and the guy I spoke with confirmed that the base model does indeed use a 3.5 regular size hard drive NOT a smaller 2.5 size drive.

Whew!
Wow, so the hard drive (using a 500GB WD spec sheet) weighs a pound, and the whole Roamio weighs 3.7 pounds. So the rest is only 2.7 pounds.

The Plus and the Pro weigh 6.9 pounds, and since those drives weigh 1.4-1.6 pounds, the rest is 5.4 pounds. I wonder what makes the Plus and Pro twice as heavy as the Base model...

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
MeInDallas

My thought would be plastic. If you look at both models, the Plus and the Pro are metal cases, and the base model looks to be plastic of some sort.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
NYHeel

Could be the bigger case and the power supply.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
MeInDallas

Yep and the base model has an external power supply too.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
My thought would be plastic. If you look at both models, the Plus and the Pro are metal cases, and the base model looks to be plastic of some sort.
Looks like a few other things missing, including a fan and a power supply.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
MeInDallas

I noticed that too, and the cable card goes in at the bottom. It reminds me of the new Genie from Directv, it is smaller and has no fan, and uses an external power supply too. The top of the base model looks like its all one piece of plastic that pops off the top.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux

So how is it that the upgraded plus can go to 475 hours with 3 TB, but pro goes to 450? Tivo crap on the Hard Drive?
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Coupons still work on the upgraded units too.

My will power is fading. I might be ordering a 2TB Plus today.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
MeInDallas

I told myself I wasnt gonna do it, and I'm getting weaker the more people are talking about them. I kinda want that base model for the OTA capability
Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Since they have these available the day after launch, I'm thinking the file system changes, if any, are minor and that the old self-upgrade methods will be the same, or easily adapted.
Must be.

I received this in an email 4 hours ago from Weaknees:

Quote:
"Will WeaKnees be offering upgraded Roamios and kits for Roamios?
We're working on it and we have every expectation that we will have these units in larger capacities. But, since our testing isn't yet complete, we don't have final info. We'll be posting on our blog as soon as we have news."
So I went to the blog and found:

Quote:
"TiVo Roamio Upgraded Units Now Available
Posted on August 21st, 2013, by Jeff
We are thrilled to announce that we are now building and shipping TiVo Roamio and TiVo Roamio Plus DVRs with 2TB and 3TB drive options. For pricing and more information, see our TiVo Roamio Product page.

We still have four-tuner TiVo Roamio units in stock, but TiVo Roamio Plus and TiVo Roamio Pro units are on backorder for a few days until we receive our next shipment."

Old 08-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
ggieseke

Quote:
If this is available less than a day after launch, there's prior knowledge going on. There's no way that the changes to the file system are minor enough for wk to have figured them out and redesigned their website this quickly without it.

Get ready for another monopoly on expansions until the rest of us can figure it out (if that's even possible without inside help).
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I told myself I wasnt gonna do it, and I'm getting weaker the more people are talking about them. I kinda want that base model for the OTA capability
I'm in the same boat. I already have a Stream so it comes down to whether I need 6 tuners or not. And I don't think I really do. I might just order the 4 tuner unit with the free Stream, throw my own 2TB drive in there, and then sell the Stream to offset the cost.

I like that the 4 tuner has a power brick instead of an internal power supply, as that's easier to replace. I like that it does OTA even though I don't need it right now. And I like that it's only $200 instead of $600.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
innocentfreak

Quote:
Weeknees was one of the first if not the first to sell Premiere upgraded drives, iirc. I believe this was even before the new tools so they might do it differently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I already have a Stream so it comes down to whether I need 6 tuners or not. And I don't think I really do. I might just order the 4 tuner unit with the free Stream, throw my own 2TB drive in there, and then sell the Stream to offset the cost.

I like that the 4 tuner has a power brick instead of an internal power supply, as that's easier to replace. I like that it does OTA even though I don't need it right now. And I like that it's only $200 instead of $600.
Good points, I was thinking the same thing. I wish Tivo had gone to external power supplies on all models, and the OTA is a big plus for me. I have the XL4 now but IF I ever did go away from TWC then it would be worthless to me. I just cancelled a 2 tuner unit on Monday because it was out of contract. I knew these were coming, but $600 I just cant see it right now. You know in a few months prices will come down some at least, but $200 I can swing
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
ppartekim

Quote:
Coupons still work on the upgraded units too.

My will power is fading. I might be ordering a 2TB Plus today.
Coupons? You mean I could get the 3TB base for less than the stated $449.. please give details.. CC getting warm waiting...

That or I need upgrade instructions.. I see 3TB drives available at Fry's for ~$120.. vs the $250 add-on for Weakness..
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

For the basic the coupon is just ROAMIO and it takes $10 off.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
Must be.

I received this in an email 4 hours ago from Weaknees:

So I went to the blog and found:
Quote:
We still have four-tuner TiVo Roamio units in stock, but TiVo Roamio Plus and TiVo Roamio Pro units are on backorder for a few days until we receive our next shipment."
You threw a scare into me. I ordered last night before the message. Customer support told me my unit should be shipping in 20 minutes, should get it no later than Wednesday.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
tivogurl

Quote:
In that case you're better off taking the $50 discount from the free stream code and ordering direct from TiVo.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
In that case you're better off taking the $50 discount from the free stream code and ordering direct from TiVo.
Only if there is a way to upgrade ourselves. If not then you'll have to wait for Weaknees to offer drop in drives and likely pay a premium for that.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
mrizzo80

Would there be any warranty concerns with buying/putting in a claim on a 3 year extended warranty if people purchase a modified box from Weaknees...since they have to open the enclosure to modify the DVR? Thinking of biting on a modified 2TB Plus.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
So how is it that the upgraded plus can go to 475 hours with 3 TB, but pro goes to 450? Tivo crap on the Hard Drive?
WK may have been able to supersize the drive which would give added usable capacity.

It's really tempting to go with a Roamio Plus 3TB now but the price premium, even with coupon, is still very high.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
WK may have been able to supersize the drive which would give added usable capacity.

It's really tempting to go with a Roamio Plus 3TB now but the price premium, even with coupon, is still very high.
Did JMFS offer supersize options? I haven't upgraded since the WinMFS days since I bought the XLs at launch and the Elite at the 2TB limit.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Would there be any warranty concerns with buying/putting in a claim on a 3 year extended warranty if people purchase a modified box from Weaknees...since they have to open the enclosure to modify the DVR?
That would certainly void TiVo's warranty. I assume you'd be buying the Weaknees extended warranty which presumably doesn't have that problem.

If you buy lifetime I don't know if Weaknees' warranty qualifies for the free transfer of lifetime to a replacement box like Best Buy's warranty does.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
ydc

Quote:
Following that theme, I put in ROAMIOPLUS with the (you guessed it) Roamio Plus in my cart and it took off $25. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though....
ydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydc View Post

Following that theme, I put in ROAMIOPLUS with the (you guessed it) Roamio Plus in my cart and it took off $25. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though....
And ROAMIOPRO is $40 off.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote