TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #61
Antitrust

Omg how can you all not see the elephant in the room?

Are you all not aware of a major cable company and a major network not agreeing to terms? Are you not aware that one of the major networks are not being transmitted to one of the major cable providers? Now wouldn't it have been great for those that are in that cable providers area to be able to pull in that major network ota? But wait ... For "other reasons" somehow tivo won't allow the consumer to pull in ota networks that a cable provider blocks on its latest product. How convenient... Look folks, the cable companies don't want a major dvr to pull in both cable and ota simultaneously, and tivo is happy to oblige. Thats the real reason they phased out dual inputs. Nor do the cable companies want there to be an ota dvr that can effectively organize online content as well as ota networks in one seamless package. Such a dvr would be exactly what the new generation used to browsing the Internet could use to cut the cord and be able to get network tv at their convenience along with Internet media (Netflix hulu etc.) it would be a huge threat to the cable companies. So not to offend their cable company partners tivo creates a hobbled base model with 10/100 ethernet and only one input either cable or antenna. And in doing so they missed the boat, the future is Internet media,and its only a matter of time until some forward looking company seizes the moment and provides the product that does that. Sad thing is, it could have been tivo,they have the software that integrates network TV and Internet . In a hobbled base model that most cord cutters will pass on...
Antitrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #62
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Analog is dead.
I wish! My cable company still has about 30 channels that are offered only as analog. Including Comedy Central, AMC and FX all of which I record shows from regularly. Also pretty much all the kids channels like Disney, Nick, Cartoon Network, etc... and all the 24 hour news channels as well. If they'd at least simulcast then I could get rid of my 2 tuner Premiere.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #63
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust View Post
Are you all not aware of a major cable company and a major network not agreeing to terms? Are you not aware that one of the major networks are not being transmitted to one of the major cable providers? Now wouldn't it have been great for those that are in that cable providers area to be able to pull in that major network ota? But wait ... For "other reasons" somehow tivo won't allow the consumer to pull in ota networks that a cable provider blocks on its latest product. How convenient... Look folks, the cable companies don't want a major dvr to pull in both cable and ota simultaneously, and tivo is happy to oblige. Thats the real reason they phased out dual inputs. Nor do the cable companies want there to be an ota dvr that can effectively organize online content as well as ota networks in one seamless package. Such a dvr would be exactly what the new generation used to browsing the Internet could use to cut the cord and be able to get network tv at their convenience along with Internet media (Netflix hulu etc.) it would be a huge threat to the cable companies. So not to offend their cable company partners tivo creates a hobbled base model with 10/100 ethernet and only one input either cable or antenna. And in doing so they missed the boat, the future is Internet media,and its only a matter of time until some forward looking company seizes the moment and provides the product that does that. Sad thing is, it could have been tivo,they have the software that does just that... In a hobbled base model
The design decisions on this were likely made at least a year ago, long before the CBS/TW dispute. And I'm sure if TiVo could have offered an economical 4 tuner box that could do both OTA and Cable they would have. Doing it the way they did was likely a way to keep costs down and prices low. And unfortunately there isn't enough of a market for a premium model in that space.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #64
Antitrust

Internet plus ota

The bottom line is that millions are fed up with their cable bills and would be thrilled to cut the cable and get content from streaming plus ota network but they are dependent on cable so don't break away... A solution that integrates ota and Internet streaming with a sophisticated search mechanism Fits the bill perfecctly ... tivo is on the verge of that solution and yet has failed to capitalize on it... ... Cable cutters that retain internet reduce their cable bill by$100/mo or more, I would think there would be a huge market out there ...

Last edited by Antitrust : 08-22-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #65
Dan203
Super Moderator

What? If you want to cut the cord then the TiVo is perfect. Your first post sounded like you were upset because the TiVo didn't do OTA and Cable any more. I don't follow your logic.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #66
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Maybe there's a gas leak...

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #67
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust View Post
The bottom line is that millions are fed up with their cable bills and would be thrilled to cut the cable and get content from streaming plus ota network but they are dependent on cable so don't break away... A solution that integrates ota and Internet streaming with a sophisticated search mechanism Fits the bill perfecctly ... tivo is on the verge of that solution and yet has failed to capitalize on it... ... Cable cutters that retain internet reduce their cable bill by$100/mo or more, I would think there would be a huge market out there ...
OTA doesn't work for thousands of people. This OTA entry unit is designed to blow Channel Master out the water as much as anything in a very niche market. Tivo is as much doing OTA users of Tivo's a favor with this unit. 4 tuners and it records and it doesn't need a computer for 200.00 isn't bad. The growth is in the higher end units.
Tivo could have easily just left the OTA market leaving people to flail and wail and fixing older units for years to come.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #68
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Has anyone pointed out yet that there are only 4 OTA channels worth watching?

I mean, sure you have some tiny channels... but like, you can record NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS all at the same time. What are the 2 other tuners doing? Watching the public broadcast system?

I am sure that's why no one makes a 6 channel chip. There's only 4 channels.
Add the CW and it's five. It should also be pointed out that every time you add a tuner you're splitting signal strength, even with digital can be a problem at times. A 6 tuner OTA will probably need a fan also.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #69
Antitrust

It's all about the cable companies

On the one hand you can.t use the base model to record ota and cable at the same time to solve the blackout issues if you do choose to keep cable... And if you choose to cut the cord, you are limited to the base model with Ethernet capability that is weaker than those models that are cable only. For not to much more they could have had a solid ota product with dual inputs and strong Ethernet that wouldn't leave the potential customer feeling that they getting something lacking in both areas, and that in both cases the product weaknesses somehow end up bolstering the position of cable companies.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #70
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm sure TiVo knows how many of their customers are actually using OTA, including those using both OTA and cable, and made a decision based on that info. If they really thought there was a market for a higher end unit with OTA then we'd have one. It's not like they're doing it out of spite. Like everything in the corporate world it's about money and what they think they can sell. If this was really the booming market segment you seem to think then why aren't there any other companies selling OTA DVRs?

The reality is that most cord cutters do it to save money, so it makes sense to make the OTA TiVo as inexpensive as possible. Know your audience.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #71
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Has anyone pointed out yet that there are only 4 OTA channels worth watching?

I mean, sure you have some tiny channels... but like, you can record NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS all at the same time. What are the 2 other tuners doing? Watching the public broadcast system?

I am sure that's why no one makes a 6 channel chip. There's only 4 channels.
In addition to the 4 nets and The CW (5 prime-time original programming channels so far in our count), and local ION channel, there are public TV stations (multiple in some markets), the increasingly popular on OTA only MeTV, Anntenna TV, This TV, and Cozi TV, MOVIE channel (a pretty darn good movie channel on OTA), Bounce, Mega Hertz World (really good, unique content) plus if some households speak a foreign language, the number of OTA channels BLOOM with a lot of channels.

OK, in my L.A. market, I am interested in and record ONLY 26 OTA channels. That's TWENTY-SIX OTA channels with content in ENGLISH worth watching out of a total of about 146 or more OTA channels (and still growing) I receive. I am satisfied with a 4 tuner OTA DVR, but I certainly would buy the 6 tuner model if TiVo offered it with OTA capability, and, yes, one would have 5 or 6 simultaneous recordings with OTA. Right now I have to span it over a number of TiVo's. However, I understand that the money is just not in OTA right now, and TiVo wasn't going to make a more expensive OTA capable box for cord cutters who loath spending money on TV.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #72
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post
Don't forget all of us in the middle of the TWC/CBS war. The only way I can get CBS and several other channels is OTA for the time being. Just being able to hook up an antenna and add 2-1 and 9-1 back is a big benefit.

What i would love to see is for TiVo to do something like what Moxi did a few years ago... add support for USB OTA tuners. Those who need them could simply plug them in and those who don't won't.
Dish does that with the Hopper (previous models had the OTA tuner built-in while other models allowed the consumer to slip in an OTA 2 tuner module) and they are VERY popular among power users. The module for the older boxes and the USB OTA tuner for the Hopper are OPTIONS that provide the choice for each household. But, I'm sure that would have added to the cost of the Roamio, and TiVo's view is there just is no really big money to be made with the OTA only crowd.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #73
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
OTA doesn't work for thousands of people. This OTA entry unit is designed to blow Channel Master out the water as much as anything in a very niche market. Tivo is as much doing OTA users of Tivo's a favor with this unit. 4 tuners and it records and it doesn't need a computer for 200.00 isn't bad. The growth is in the higher end units.
Tivo could have easily just left the OTA market leaving people to flail and wail and fixing older units for years to come.
Channel Master is returning to Echostar to desing its new, upcoming DVR. The First Channel Master DVR from Echostar was based on really old tech with the most glaring omission being no name based recording, but people LOVED those rudimentary, cave man tech units because of NO MONTHLY FEE. The current Channle Master DVR is a new joke, with an option to subscribe to enhanced program guide and--it just aint that good anyway.

However, if Echostar designs the new Channel Master using its ViP tech (comparable with Dish ViP DVR's, a generation behind the Hopper) then, even if only a 2 tuner, it will EASILY be the preferred for cord cutters, so long as there is NO MONTHLY FEE or at least a much lower monthly fee than TiVo. The ViP's do just about everything a Roamio does with many of the same features, except we don't know if any OTT will be part of the new Channel Master as it was in a very limited way with the current Channel Master, but everyone prefers a Roku, anyway.

While I agree with many of the gripes regarding the Roamio model, especially the either or OTA/Cable, I think the best, killer "feature" for the Roamio would be to offer the OTA only $9.99 subscription rate to lure more cord cutters. Considering the growing number of cheap alternatives TiVo imposed for the Roamio compared to the Plus and Pro (breakout cords for video outputs, no component outs, no Gigabit net support, no built-in Stream, no transfers to iOS mobile devices, 2 fewer tuners and with an either/or not cable and OTA at the same time, and there are more corner cut with this base model), it seems like TiVo could afford that OTA only subscription rate for the Roamio, but I'm sure that TiVo likes the ka-ching of the $14.99 a lot better, but my argument is that I believe they could get MORE subscribers for the Roamio by getting the subscription rate UNDER $10, even by just one penny, for OTA only and the 4 tuner count makes it an extremely appealing value to cord cutters who would be getting an excellent DVR. "Hmm, 4 tuners and only $9.99 per month . . ." Even the cheapskates may bite at that.

TiVo, bring back the OTA only subscription, please.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 08-22-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #74
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgolden View Post
As a TimeWarner customer I found out how valuable having the OTA capability is when TimeWarner cut off CBS. I don't know how long this will go on, but I am glad I can still record some programs if I choose over the air and more over cable.
As a TWC customer in a place that tends to get hurricanes, I'm augmenting our analog cable fed S2 DTs with S3s so I can also get digital OTA, and since the chances of TWC going out while the station is still on the air, regardless of weather, are much greater than the station going off the air and TWC still somehow being able to retransmit its signal...

A few months back a single cable cut in another county killed all TWC service (cable, internet, their version of telephone) in our county for about 12 hours.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #75
Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I must be a little slow today how are you having to choose between better streaming and OTA?
Maybe I missed something but that was my shorthand way of saying I don't think you can record OTA and then stream that show over wifi to an iOS device.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #76
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doh View Post
Maybe I missed something but that was my shorthand way of saying I don't think you can record OTA and then stream that show over wifi to an iOS device.
You can if you buy a Stream also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #77
rehr0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
You can if you buy a Stream also.
And you technically don't have to buy it - since you get it for free using the grouper code.
rehr0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #78
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehr0001 View Post
And you technically don't have to buy it - since you get it for free using the grouper code.
I have read that code is now dead which is why I didn't mention it.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #79
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Sorry but even the cable industry is admitting that its the OTA market that is growing and the CATV market is loosing subscribers at a large rate. Every one of the big 3 lost major numbers the last several quarters.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #80
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
No, that actually creates even more problems.

That would be twice the cost to buy two Tivos.

Twice the subscription fee (or Lifetime fee).

The remote will operate both Tivos simultaneously so that's no good.

Two Tivos would take up two HDMI inputs instead of just one (and there is no Component Video output on the base model so that's no help).

Would cause you have to switch TV inputs just to switch from an OTA channel to a Cable channel.

I don't have any of these problems with my trusty old S3 - i need to be able to simultaneously record a race on ESPN and a game on CBS OTA seamlessly like i do on my S3 and none of the Roamios can do this.
Buy 2 Roamios and a Mini then. Problem solved. No one said you are getting off dirt cheap.

Last edited by trip1eX : 08-22-2013 at 09:12 AM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #81
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Sorry but even the cable industry is admitting that its the OTA market that is growing and the CATV market is loosing subscribers at a large rate. Every one of the big 3 lost major numbers the last several quarters.
What is this large rate of customers being lost? I see very small numbers being lost compared to total subscribers. And most of those losses you hear about are probably being picked up by satellite or FiOS or even Google.

OTA has its own problems. CAn you get signal? IF so, can your antenna pick up all the major channels from one location? IF not then you have to put a rooftop antenna up.

And then the economics of broadcast tv are in question. Many say their future is on shakey ground.

Last edited by trip1eX : 08-22-2013 at 09:13 AM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #82
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
Channel Master is returning to Echostar to desing its new, upcoming DVR. The First Channel Master DVR from Echostar was based on really old tech with the most glaring omission being no name based recording, but people LOVED those rudimentary, cave man tech units because of NO MONTHLY FEE. The current Channle Master DVR is a new joke, with an option to subscribe to enhanced program guide and--it just aint that good anyway.

However, if Echostar designs the new Channel Master using its ViP tech (comparable with Dish ViP DVR's, a generation behind the Hopper) then, even if only a 2 tuner, it will EASILY be the preferred for cord cutters, so long as there is NO MONTHLY FEE or at least a much lower monthly fee than TiVo. The ViP's do just about everything a Roamio does with many of the same features, except we don't know if any OTT will be part of the new Channel Master as it was in a very limited way with the current Channel Master, but everyone prefers a Roku, anyway.

While I agree with many of the gripes regarding the Roamio model, especially the either or OTA/Cable, I think the best, killer "feature" for the Roamio would be to offer the OTA only $9.99 subscription rate to lure more cord cutters. Considering the growing number of cheap alternatives TiVo imposed for the Roamio compared to the Plus and Pro (breakout cords for video outputs, no component outs, no Gigabit net support, no built-in Stream, no transfers to iOS mobile devices, 2 fewer tuners and with an either/or not cable and OTA at the same time, and there are more corner cut with this base model), it seems like TiVo could afford that OTA only subscription rate for the Roamio, but I'm sure that TiVo likes the ka-ching of the $14.99 a lot better, but my argument is that I believe they could get MORE subscribers for the Roamio by getting the subscription rate UNDER $10, even by just one penny, for OTA only and the 4 tuner count makes it an extremely appealing value to cord cutters who would be getting an excellent DVR. "Hmm, 4 tuners and only $9.99 per month . . ." Even the cheapskates may bite at that.

TiVo, bring back the OTA only subscription, please.
Complaining about TiVos fees is just simple complaining it cost too much. Anyone with 1/2 a brain can do a cost comparison of a TiVo with lifetime to what ever alternative is being considered. If a person feels the TiVo DVR doesn't provide a better value than what ever else is being considered the answer is simple don't buy it.

But the reality is there are no real alternatives to TiVo in the stand alone OTA DVR market. Sure most of us here can put together a HTPC and use it for an OTA DVR but that is not what most people want and it will cost most people just as much as a new TiVo with lifetime.

I hope Channel Master/Dish does build a good OTA DVR as I think competition is good (and the only reason TiVo offered the $9.99/mo service deal for Premiere OTA users before) but as of today the the only real competition the Roamio has in the OTA market is used Premiere and Series 3 TiVos. Anyone looking for a cheap OTA DVR should have a good selection of lower cost units as people upgrade, I am guessing the prices of Series 3 units with lifetime and upgraded hard drives will drop below $300 and Premiere units with lifetime will likely drop below $400.

I do have hopes that TiVo will (in the near future) offer us deals where we can get the Roamio with lifetime for closer to $500 than the current $600.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #83
atmuscarella

Quote:
Many cable companies are losing subs however the overall Pay TV market (cable, satellite, & IP TV (AT&T & Verizon)) is stable and some even claim it is growing.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #84
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
JC, I think your exagerating just a bit... Major numbers? The subscription market continues to grow quarter over quarter.

Cable currently has 41.2 million subscribers

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #85
ncbill

For the true cheapskates, a _used_ Series 3 w/ lifetime blows alternative like Channel Master out of the water for $250-$300 (probably less now given the Roamio's release)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #86
KrazyKiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
My frustration is that even with the OTA-capable box, it is EITHER cable OR OTA, not both at the same time.

I'm losing a key feature from my older TiVos, but I did decide to order one anyway. I would have gladly paid for the Plus or Pro if it had the ability to do OTA and Cable. I guess I'm in a tiny minority.
Well, I'm in your minority too - Love to get the new features of the Roamio, but since I use both OTA and "basic-basic" cable (which does feature HD, tho, through Comcrap), I don't like being pigeon holed into one or the other. This is a disappointing design...
KrazyKiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #87
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKiko View Post
Well, I'm in your minority too - Love to get the new features of the Roamio, but since I use both OTA and "basic-basic" cable (which does feature HD, tho, through Comcrap), I don't like being pigeon holed into one or the other. This is a disappointing design...
But you wouldn't want to pay for both... It would have required a duplication of the tuners in your base TiVo to handle that.

What most people do not know is that the 2 Tuner TiVo's actually has the chipset to handle 4 Tuners - two deducated to cable and two dedicated to OTA.

So in order to make a 4 tuner TiVo that works with OTA - the dicision is either or. (or add a second chipset and hardware to support it. $$$)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #88
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
JC, I think your exagerating just a bit... Major numbers? The subscription market continues to grow quarter over quarter.

According to the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) industry data at this web site:

http://www.ncta.com/industry-data

Overall Video Cable Customer counts (which includes analog and digital) have significantly declined. It peaked at 65.4M in 2006 and declined to 56.4M in 2012.

Digital Video Customer counts have been growing, e.g., from 40.4M in 2008 to 46.8M in 2012

No question about cable operator revenue from Residential Video, however. It has never declined, and reached $56.9B in 2011.

I'm surprised. I also thought (wished) they were hurting more.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #89
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post

ATT, Verizon, TW and Comcast all reported net loss of video subscriptions the last 2 quarters. The only 'major' I saw with video subs up was WOW. Not sure I saw reports from RCN. Yes there are LOTS of video subscribers but the trend is away, not toward and that was my point.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #90
ppartekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
No question about cable operator revenue from Residential Video, however. It has never declined, and reached $56.9B in 2011.
Revenue typically will always either increase or remain stable as they keep raising everyone subscription prices to compensate for the those few cord cutter decreases.

Revenue will only go down when there is a mass exodus of subscribers, which hopefully won't be too long now..
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote