TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

The Big Bang Theory [03/06/2014] - "The Friendship Turbulence"

I guess there won't be any more jokes about the check engine light.
Penny: This isn't your car.
Leonard: I know. I thought we'd take yours.

ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

"You're supposed to be yourself, not all desperate and creepy."

"OK, I'm getting some mixed messages here."
Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
During the turbulence I was waiting for Sheldon to say he didn't have to go to the bathroom anymore.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
MikeCC
TiVotee

The dining table was gone, and the old desk back. (See thread from last week's show for context...)
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Is Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting gaining weight after getting married? There were some odd double lines on her neck.

I thought it was funny how Amy ended up on a date with the girl. I was thinking they might have her realize some repressed feelings.

The audience was a little too into the 'awwwww' moments. It was distracting to me.

Last edited by Donbadabon : 03-07-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Is Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting gaining weight after getting married? There were some odd double lines on her neck.
I commented that she looked positively awful last night and my wife joked that she got married and let herself go.

Not sure if having her look haggard was part of the show or not. Would kinda fit with the plotline.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
She did not look at cute as she has, but she also has been working hard at getting a new job and has been stressed at that.

I actually kind of like that she will show up in sweats and a tee sometimes with her hair in a ponytail. That makes it a bit more real. Sometimes you have those kind of days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
GDG76
Packet Herder

I'm still trying to figure out why Leonard and Penny are together. They're downright horrible to each other (each in different ways).

This episode took it to a whole new level, adding an even more explicit sugar-daddy feel.
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
She did not look at cute as she has, but she also has been working hard at getting a new job and has been stressed at that.

I actually kind of like that she will show up in sweats and a tee sometimes with her hair in a ponytail. That makes it a bit more real. Sometimes you have those kind of days.
I'm also happy to see her show up a bit schlubby, but what I saw was that not only was her hair incredibly flat, they're letting the roots grow out.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

I was kind of hoping Amy was out on what would turn out to be her first lesbian date, even if only to make Sheldon jealous.

What sucks about this show is what's inevitable: More and more, the characters and their relationships are evolving to maturity, where maturity means marriage, kids, moving out, moving away, and the group splitting up.

Just like real life, though.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
stellie93

I was amazed that Sheldon would get on an airplane in the first place. Has he ever flown before on the show?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I was amazed that Sheldon would get on an airplane in the first place. Has he ever flown before on the show?
Not on camera, but I think he flew back to Texas in a couple of episodes.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

I thought it was funny how Amy ended up on a date with the girl. I was thinking they might have her realize some repressed feelings.

The audience was a little too into the 'awwwww' moments. It was distracting to me.
Was this a new change in the credits or have I missed it before?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #14
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
First time I have noticed it.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
First time I have noticed it.
The last couple of episodes had it.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #16
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'm also happy to see her show up a bit schlubby, but what I saw was that not only was her hair incredibly flat, they're letting the roots grow out.
And not in a nice way. There are better ways to do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
The dining table was gone, and the old desk back. (See thread from last week's show for context...)
D'oh! I'm the one that wondered in the last thread whether they'd keep the table, then I didn't even think to look for it in this episode.

Quote:
She's just recently added the -Sweeting to her name. She was just on one of the late night shows last week and they discussed it.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #18
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I was disappointed with this episode. I really liked last week. I need to rewatch both of them and see if it was my own mood at the time rather than the shows themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
"You're supposed to be yourself, not all desperate and creepy."

"OK, I'm getting some mixed messages here."
I did like some of Rajs' lines.

Quote:
During the turbulence I was waiting for Sheldon to say he didn't have to go to the bathroom anymore.
I was surprised he didn't wear a pee bag down his leg so he didn't have to go to the restroom. I mean, Howard was smart enough to do that on occasion, and isn't Sheldon considered smarter than Howard?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Penny has looked skanky for years now. I am not talking about sweats and simple hair, I am talking about unhealthy looking. She looks like all she eats Twinkies and guzzle Diet pop for every meal.

I actually prefer women in sweats and 'easy hair' and no makeup. Those are the women I play volleyball with and they are full of life and don't worry about if their t-shirt has a stain on it or if they aren't wearing the latest fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why Leonard and Penny are together. They're downright horrible to each other (each in different ways).

This episode took it to a whole new level, adding an even more explicit sugar-daddy feel.
Ya, they need to all put their keys in a bowl and draw out new partners. Now That would be a episode!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
I was kind of hoping Amy was out on what would turn out to be her first lesbian date, even if only to make Sheldon jealous.
Amy has exhibited lesbian tendencies for years, and it is time for her to explore that side of her, or at least have a friend outside the group.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #19
cannonz

Quote:
He was wearing his airplane pants, but I bet he won't wait for Saturday night to wash them after the turbulence.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #20
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Ya, they need to all put their keys in a bowl and draw out new partners. Now That would be a episode!!
That would be fun. They almost got there with the treasure hunt episode and that showed how much fun a "mix it up" episode could be.

Quote:
Amy has exhibited lesbian tendencies for years, and it is time for her to explore that side of her, or at least have a friend outside the group.
Or a friend outside the group but still knows of the group - sort of like Stuart.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #21
Bob Coxner

Quote:
It's not quite as funny as TBBT but I have to give a shoutout to a great movie with this in it - The Ice Storm.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/29748
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #22
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
I never got all fawning over KC. Sure she's cute, but I don't think she is really all that hot. I suspect I'm in the minority here.

The episode seemed a bit forced.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #23
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Totally agree-- that was horrible.. and seemed so "canned".

Quote:
Didn't they fly to the north/south pole for 6 months?

Quote:
I was disappointed with this episode. I really liked last week. I need to rewatch both of them and see if it was my own mood at the time rather than the shows themselves.
No, you're right, it was a disappointing episode. The way Raj was overbearingly creepy, the way Leonard and Penny verbally abused each other (malicious and repeatedly). How Sheldon only pretended to make up with Howard and was just as mean as before. They did get one thing right -- the title: "The Friendship Turbulence" -- but they were really lazy with the writing. If they wanted to introduce some tension between each player, they could have done it more elegantly and more believably. What they got was a hot mess.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #24
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
No, you're right, it was a disappointing episode. The way Raj was overbearingly creepy, the way Leonard and Penny verbally abused each other (malicious and repeatedly). How Sheldon only pretended to make up with Howard and was just as mean as before.
All of these are perfectly in character.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #25
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
All of these are perfectly in character.
I wouldn't say perfectly in character -- it was really forced. Especially how Leonard slammed Penny not once, but twice. Sheldon agreed to improve his friendship with Howard, but then was an extreme a-hole not to do it, but even get worse. Maybe even Raj was in character, but it was a comic-book version of himself. Nobody would act like that IRL.

The only redeeming character without issues in this ep was Bernadette.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I wouldn't say perfectly in character -- it was really forced. Especially how Leonard slammed Penny not once, but twice. Sheldon agreed to improve his friendship with Howard, but then was an extreme a-hole not to do it, but even get worse. Maybe even Raj was in character, but it was a comic-book version of himself. Nobody would act like that IRL.

The only redeeming character without issues in this ep was Bernadette.
I think that was perfectly in character for Sheldon. I don't think he was being an a-hole on purpose. I think he didn't realize that those comments he makes about Howard are insulting. He simply sees them as facts.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #27
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think that was perfectly in character for Sheldon. I don't think he was being an a-hole on purpose. I think he didn't realize that those comments he makes about Howard are insulting. He simply sees them as facts.
And Leonard always slams Penny, sometimes on purpose, but often not.

And Raj is always really creepy when it comes to girls.

I found it totally in character.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Yeah, I think the difference is all the dick ways these people treat each other usually are more spread out, not concentrated in one episode.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, I think the difference is all the dick ways these people treat each other usually are more spread out, not concentrated in one episode.
No argument there!
Old 03-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #30
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
And Raj is always really creepy when it comes to girls.

I'll play Devil's advocate. In the old days before Raj could talk to girls, Howard was the one who was the most fixated into getting a girl; now that they've taken Howard out of the game by marrying him off to Bernadette, and all the other guys are matched up with someone, the burden of being the guy who is always chasing girls has fallen on Raj alone.

So I would say that Raj feels creepier now than he did back in the day when Howard was the main creeper, and Raj was only a creeper wannabe.

I use the term loosely because neither of those guys are as creepy as the real creepers I've dealt with in real life. (If they actually did the kinds of things that creepers really do at cons, it wouldn't be funny.)