TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Survivor "Our Time to Shine" OAD 3/12/14 *spoilers*

I'm starting an episode thread because Survivor is not a show that should have a season thread. Also, because I was pissed that the season thread showed up in my User CP list at about 6:00 pm with spoilers for the episode that hadn't even aired yet. At least with a separate thread, I get to choose when to subscribe to it vs. having the episode spoiled because of being subscribed to the season thread.

So Brains really sucked in this episode. Twice they should have finished in second place and twice their incompetence (mostly J'Tia's) allows the Brawn tribe to catch and pass them. Although what chance did Spencer really have to win a basketball challenge against Cliff Robinson?

And how crazy is it how well the Beauty tribe is performing in the challenges. They killed it both times in this episode.

Speaking of that, when was the last time we had an episode with a reward challenge and then an immunity challenge? I think it's been a couple seasons.

Brains made the right choice. J'Tia was worthless in challenges, and Spencer provides just as much loyalty going forward, and he can actually perform well in the challenges, too. Although it will be interesting to see how loyal those three are to each other if/when they get split up due to a Switch or Merge.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:59 AM   #2
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I was convinced Spencer was a goner, that they others were really that dumb. Nice to be wrong! They should have dropped J'Tia in episode one.

And the brawn tribe and the idea of throwing the challenge? Dumb, dumb, dumb. It's like they've never watched the show before. I cringed every time someone dived face first into the water with a mask on. Most of them were careful to hold the mask, but that's just pain waiting to happen.

I liked that Morgan actually called out the guy who didn't vote with her at the TC. That doesn't seem to happen enough.

Oh, and the debate about where eggs come from was comedy gold.

Dalton's recap (contains preview spoiler on last page): http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivo...st-tribe-ever/

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
It was just plain mean for the challenge designers to put all of those poles sticking out at crotch level
Old 03-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
It was just plain mean for the challenge designers to put all of those poles sticking out at crotch level
I though the same thing. Not to mention all the poles/posts that were sticking out all over. I thought that was kinda cruel actually.

I was really glad to see two separate challenges for reward/immunity. If you're not going to have RI then it should be like this every week.

I also thought having a basketball challenge when you have a pro-basketball player on one of the teams was really unfair. And this was a challenge that really was made for the Brain team to lose. Very little advantage to being "smart" here.

Loyalty between the brains tribe? Sorry but when someone throws our rice into the fire, the person cannot be trusted. That was the smart decision. Also, voting out Spencer almost guarantees they lose the next challenge.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

^^ It was nice to see a good old-fashioned reward challenge.

With the discussion over the last week about how Jeff gets the tribe to say things at TC, last night was a great example.

meh
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
VegasVic
Craps Player

If Spencer survives till the merge he will be tough. If Brains lose another challenge before then he's most likely gone. It's still early but I'm liking all new players and no RI. Shaping up to be an interesting season. I wonder if they will merge into 2 and then 1 or just go from 3 to 1.

ETA, much better to have weekly threads than one long one.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Oh, and the debate about where eggs come from was comedy gold.
Yes, this was hilarious. Especially when Jeremiah, who was doing his one-on-one taking about how his tribe is stupid ("stereotypical beauties"), and then he says,"we know the egg came before the chicken, because dinosaurs had eggs and they were here before chickens."

Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
bryhamm
randomize

Finally she is gone

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm starting an episode thread because Survivor is not a show that should have a season thread. Also, because I was pissed that the season thread showed up in my User CP list at about 6:00 pm with spoilers for the episode that hadn't even aired yet. At least with a separate thread, I get to choose when to subscribe to it vs. having the episode spoiled because of being subscribed to the season thread.

So Brains really sucked in this episode. Twice they should have finished in second place and twice their incompetence (mostly J'Tia's) allows the Brawn tribe to catch and pass them. Although what chance did Spencer really have to win a basketball challenge against Cliff Robinson?

And how crazy is it how well the Beauty tribe is performing in the challenges. They killed it both times in this episode.

Speaking of that, when was the last time we had an episode with a reward challenge and then an immunity challenge? I think it's been a couple seasons.

Brains made the right choice. J'Tia was worthless in challenges, and Spencer provides just as much loyalty going forward, and he can actually perform well in the challenges, too. Although it will be interesting to see how loyal those three are to each other if/when they get split up due to a Switch or Merge.

I was the one who started the season thread, so I put a big message at the end of the thread to discourage further posting in that one.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
he says,"we know the egg came before the chicken, because dinosaurs had eggs and they were here before chickens."
I took it as sarcasm. Maybe he really meant it though.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was so happy that they kept Spenser. God I was as frustrated as he was last night during those challenges. They should had ditched j'tia after she spilled the rice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

How did they even for a second consider Spencer? j'tia was probably the worst competitor ever. Her trying to put the flag on the platform was unbelievable. It made me think she was trying to throw it.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
How did they even for a second consider Spencer? j'tia was probably the worst competitor ever. Her trying to put the flag on the platform was unbelievable. It made me think she was trying to throw it.
I really hope Spencer makes it further in the game. He did really well with the challenges - I was cheering him on when he was tossing the balls during the water challenge.

I just remember the one season where they had the gal that was the last player on her team.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
dfergie

Stephanie ...She was that last tribe member standing.
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
I took it as sarcasm. Maybe he really meant it though.
I don't know that he intended that to be sarcastic. His inflection and expression sure made me think he was serious, and I assumed that's why the producers included that gem in the edit, right after he was making fun of the intellect of his team.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, you're blind folded, but it is not the least bit difficult to feel the edges of the platform and make sure that the flag is within the edges. I am SO glad she's gone!

Are they eating just a bare minimum of rice and whatever fruit or whatever they may be able to find? I have to hope that their utter lack of food has a lot more to do with their ridiculously poor performance in challenges!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #17
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Yes, this was hilarious. Especially when Jeremiah, who was doing his one-on-one taking about how his tribe is stupid ("stereotypical beauties"), and then he says,"we know the egg came before the chicken, because dinosaurs had eggs and they were here before chickens."

Wasn't that LJ? Did I misremember?

And I mean, his statements ARE factually correct. Dinosaurs did have eggs, and they were here before chickens.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
getreal
postcrastinator

This season I have found myself actually laughing out loud a number of times.
This episode it was not just the multiple crotch smashes but also the slow-motion falls after banging into a rail or a barrel. LOL!

And, of course, the fantastic scientific discussion of chickens and eggs. And the chicken running around with its head missing.
LOVED it!! ROFL!!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
And again, I love that the brains were practicing. I wonder if other teams were also and they just didn't show that.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #20
Donbadabon
Geocacher

It would seem in this challenge, since they are tied to each other, only yell to one person. The other person should do nothing but tag along, and maybe help search when they reach the area. Oh, and cover the others crotch with their hands as they head back.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
veruca salt
I want it NOW!!

Eggs just keep happening? What's the rooster for? What makes them make eggs? They have to be in a thing like a heat lamp. (Wouldn't that make a hard boiled egg?) All I know is they taste really good.

Chickens don't need a brain to function?

So this is tuna but it says "Chicken of the Sea". So is tuna chicken?

And sometimes I get down on myself for being not so bright!
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #22
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruca salt View Post
So this is tuna but it says "Chicken of the Sea". So is tuna chicken?
Salem County New Jersey muskrats are called swamp chickens.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
laria
Librocubicularist

I'm pretty sure the guy was making fun of the girls with the dinosaur thing.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #24
Uther
King of Britons

I am still trying to figure out what was funny about the dinosaur egg comment.

Uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #25
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post
I am still trying to figure out what was funny about the dinosaur egg comment.
He was acting like he had figured out the answer to the age-old question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? His answer was that the egg came first because dinosaurs were laying eggs before chickens ever existed.

Either he was being very subtlety sarcastic, or he truly thought that he'd come up with this brilliant answer. Given the way the show framed it, right after he basically said his tribe was full of idiots, and the fact that he didn't really seem to have the look on his face that one has after telling a joke, I think he seriously thought that was the answer to the question.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #26
Uther
King of Britons

That is a valid answer to the question, though. I guess I just don't see the humor.
Uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #27
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I was very disappointed in Spencer. The correct argument is "if you keep me, we probably don't come back to Tribal Council. If you keep her, you will definitely come back".

I fear that the only reason we had a reward challenge was to get some food to the "Brains"...that didn't work out so well!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #28
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post
That is a valid answer to the question, though. I guess I just don't see the humor.
I don't see it as a valid answer. More of a non-sequitur that's humorous because it's so out of left field. The chicken & egg question (IMO anyway) refers to chicken eggs.

meh
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #29
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I don't see it as a valid answer. More of a non-sequitur that's humorous because it's so out of left field. The chicken & egg question (IMO anyway) refers to chicken eggs.
I get why it seems funny, but it's actually not that far out of left field. Basically this same argument (regarding dinosaur eggs) has been made by various scientists, who can be a pedantic lot. After all, if they meant "the first chicken egg" they should have said so . In any event the question is really not in doubt anymore (IMO) since evolution: it's clear that because an animal does not evolve into another animal after it's born/hatched/whatever, that the first chicken must have come from the first chicken egg, and whatever laid that egg was not (by definition) a chicken.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #30
laria
Librocubicularist

Regarding the preview...

Spoiler:
Boy I would hate to be someone assigned to go back to the Brain tribe's camp without any food!