TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

The Amazing Race: OAD 11-21-2014: "Hot Sexy Knights"

So the surfers use their Express Pass to claim a 1st. My wife and I are in disagreement about if this was their last chance to use the pass. Anyone remember from the original instructions that went with it? This was leg 8 and there are 4 to go.

Anyway, the dentists would have finished 1st again otherwise. They are on a roll. Sorry about Tim & Te, but they were pretty clearly the weakest team. If the TAR gods are good to us, the food girls will go home next week and we'll have as strong a final 4 as any season has had.

And that one challenge, running out the greased pole to grab the flag? Ouch!

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Can't remember if the Express Pass and Save had to be used by the end of this leg or the end of next. I think they have to use it before it gets down to four teams, which means they could have saved it and used it next week, but I'm not positive.

Of the remaining teams, I was glad to see T&T go. They were definitely the weakest.

I wonder how many times in the history of TAR they've had a Detour that teams tried but nobody could complete. I doubt that's happened very often.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

can't remember a better use of an express pass, both sides of the detour were tough, the pole was hopeless.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
realityboy

They were probably the weakest team, but that speed bump didn't really do them any favors. It didn't take too long, but it was right before the detour, and it was a detour that really seemed like a first in/first out type thing. I'm not sure how much time could be made up scrubbing. The other side was impossible, but it really was the only chance they had.

A blind detour was a cool idea that completely failed in execution since the detour was so close that teams saw it before even getting their clue.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
bryhamm
randomize

I don't undertstand how that one girl is still "injured". It's been a few weeks since she did it, right?

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

From what I've been reading the Express pass the Surfers had was only good though leg 8. Clearly they would have tried the detour if it was good next week. Glad they got a great pize out of it!

I'm hoping the wrestlers go before the food scientists do. They have a great attitude.

tta
Old 11-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #7
getbak

The Express Pass had to be used before the end of Leg 8. The Save has to be used before the end of Leg 9.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think that was a perfect leg (regardless of when they HAD to use it) for the Soul Surfers to use the Pass.

Bethany has incredible balance, but I would not have wanted to see her attempt that greased pole detour. And the Shine side of it, it would have been rather difficult to apply the pressure needed to scrub well enough without being able to steady the item being scrubbed.
JLucPicard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
If anybody could have done the greased pole it would have been Bethany. I was amazed how many people ran half way up the pole and then stopped. You're completely sunk if you do that.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
laria
Librocubicularist

The wrestlers are jerks and mega complainers... I was so hoping they were finally going to get knocked out.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
I don't undertstand how that one girl is still "injured". It's been a few weeks since she did it, right?
Well, technically, a few weeks to us as viewers is really only a handful of days to the race, right. Don't they do the whole race in about 3 weeks time?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Well, technically, a few weeks to us as viewers is really only a handful of days to the race, right. Don't they do the whole race in about 3 weeks time?
Good point. Still, I would think a normal "strain" wouldn't still be lingering days later.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
laria
Librocubicularist

I thought she said she injured it working out before the race started? She might have some kind of knee injury that needs surgery but she hasn't had it yet so she can participate in the race.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
VegasVic
Craps Player

I gathered from her comment that they were told they were accepted to be on TAR not long before they started and she hurt herself training too hard/too much in the short time she had. But she didn't have the issue earlier in the race so she must have done something to trigger the injury.

Brooke seems to be more of a whiner than Robbie. I hope the final 3 are surfers, dentists, bikers. Three STRONG teams. And then I hope there isn't some random needle in the haystack challenge that affects the outcome.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
gschrock

I was glad to see Malta as a destination. I got to visit there for a day a number of years back, and it turned out to be an absolutely incredible stop on that cruise. (And ahead of it, we weren't really sure how it was going to be).

I didn't actually visit any of the spots they used, but was in places that I could see them. For the log running thing, if you look in the background of some of the shots, you can see a round building up on the cliff there. The garden that they had to deliver the glasses and wine to is right next to that building.

The harbor there in Valetta is absolutely stunning to sail into early in the morning.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
If anybody could have done the greased pole it would have been Bethany. I was amazed how many people ran half way up the pole and then stopped. You're completely sunk if you do that.
It seemed like a lot of them were close to the flag, but needed to concentrate completely on grabbing it instead of saving themselves when they fell. Surely someone must have done it in prep for the challenge.

I wonder if the dentists can give their save to someone else who comes in last next week? Not that it wouldn't be stupid to do that.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
laria
Librocubicularist

That log challenge looked like a really good way for someone to get seriously injured.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #18
cstelter

I was wondering about the rules for the flag challenge. It seemed for that the 3 teams that made an effort at it, all of them were stuck waiting for one of them to get the red flag. I would presume the rules stated that each person had to get a different colored flag. But the yellow one seemed relatively doable and whoever got that one stuck the other trying for the red.

I thought if the other had gone for the other yellow, then they each would have a yellow and I wonder if they could have taken turns going for the red. It would seem to have optimized their odds and given a longer break in between attempts while giving them more attempts at it.

Since neither team did this, I presume the rules must not have allowed it, or else it was just an opportunity missed.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelter View Post
I was wondering about the rules for the flag challenge. It seemed for that the 3 teams that made an effort at it, all of them were stuck waiting for one of them to get the red flag. I would presume the rules stated that each person had to get a different colored flag. But the yellow one seemed relatively doable and whoever got that one stuck the other trying for the red.

I thought if the other had gone for the other yellow, then they each would have a yellow and I wonder if they could have taken turns going for the red. It would seem to have optimized their odds and given a longer break in between attempts while giving them more attempts at it.

Since neither team did this, I presume the rules must not have allowed it, or else it was just an opportunity missed.
They had to get one of each. I suppose they should've taken turns going for the red. And then once one gets the red, the other goes for yellow.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:50 PM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
The wrestlers are jerks and mega complainers... I was so hoping they were finally going to get knocked out.
Complainers I can understand, but jerks? I don't recall them doing anything mean or malicious. They seem to be having a lot of fun and enjoying themselves quite a bit, without their fun coming at anyone else's expense.

But I could do without Brooke wailing, "I can't do this," four seconds into every single challenge.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #21
laria
Librocubicularist

They were making fun of the candy girl's limp this week, and unless there's been some heavy duty editing, they are hating on the cyclists for no real reason. Sure, conspire to get them out because you think they are too strong a team and are a threat, but all the stuff about them not sitting with anyone being a justification for wanting to get them out? Just came off as jerky.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:49 AM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
They were making fun of the candy girl's limp this week, and unless there's been some heavy duty editing, they are hating on the cyclists for no real reason. Sure, conspire to get them out because you think they are too strong a team and are a threat, but all the stuff about them not sitting with anyone being a justification for wanting to get them out? Just came off as jerky.
Every other team in the race was hating on the cyclists and conspiring to get them out. Why single out the wrestlers for that?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
laria
Librocubicularist

Because the whiny female wrestler was the one they focused on at the start and gave a whole monologue about how they were terrible people (yes I'm exaggerating) for sitting off by themselves.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #24
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Was it just me or did they not show Phil tell the dentists that they were team number 2? I was looking forward to seeing the smug fall from the guy's face when he learned they weren't team number 1. Just seemed weird for them to edit that out.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #25
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I like the wrestlers.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #26
Necromancer2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I like the wrestlers.
Yeah. The foodies need to go. They are definitely the weakest team remaining - though the wrestlers are giving them a run for their money. The trouble with the wrestlers is that they're a "half-empty" kind of racer vs. the foodies who are always seeming to be so very positive. It's working for them so far, but hopefully their run ends and we can have some strong racers for the finale.
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #27
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
I like the wrestlers.
I liked it when the girl was complaining that they were in last place and then Robbie started pointing out all the teams they were ahead of.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #28
VegasVic
Craps Player

I'm also curious if the dentists can give away the save and if they can when it has to be done. Obviously they have to make sure they aren't going to be last but I can't imagine they can wait to see who comes in last and then decide.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #29
hummingbird_206

I like the wrestlers. I think they are often quite entertaining. And I think they are getting a bad edit. I would bet that they don't whine nearly as much as we're being let to believe they do. And even if they do, why keep showing it? That part is annoying!

It does seem kind of strange that the cyclists don't hang out with the other teams. Yeah, you don't have to like your competitors, but there could always be a case where you need help and are much more likely to get it if the other teams like you. They did seem to warm up to the dentists for a short time, but guess that's over.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I like the wrestlers.
I do too. They seem like they're really having fun and getting along well with almost everyone. Their one major flaw is Brooke's tendency to immediately assume she can't do something as soon as there is even a minor difficulty. But I don't think she really thinks that. I think it's just a bad habit she has of whining that way while she presses forward. Hopefully while watching this season she'll realize what a bad habit it is and break herself of it.

I think the next team to go should be Amy & Maya. They just don't have the chops to make it to the end. After that, I think the Wrestlers are the next weakest (in terms of Race skills). I think if the Final Three is Cyclists, Dentists, and Surfers, that would basically be a dream finals with all three teams being extremely strong and likable, and I think I'd be fine with any one of those teams winning.