TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #2011
BuffaloDenny

Is there an external solution? How would you connect an external drive - USB, eSata, etc. I am clueless so I don't know what drive to buy. If it has to be internal, what are the key requirements I need to buy - 3.5 inch drive, SATA, etc? Once I get the basic requirements down I can search Amazon, but am nervous to break open the box. I looked at post 67 and that looks hard!

Is this an appropriate internal drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX or Seagate Desktop 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 RPM 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001?

Last edited by BuffaloDenny : 08-23-2014 at 01:38 PM.
BuffaloDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #2012
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDenny View Post
Is there an external solution? How would you connect an external drive - USB, eSata, etc. I am clueless so I don't know what drive to buy. If it has to be internal, what are the key requirements I need to buy - 3.5 inch drive, SATA, etc? Once I get the basic requirements down I can search Amazon, but am nervous to break open the box. I looked at post 67 and that looks hard! Is this an appropriate internal drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX or Seagate Desktop 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 RPM 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001?
I installed the WD30EZRX in my basic and it works fine.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #2013
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I installed the WD30EZRX in my basic and it works fine.
Just for the record, not to be snarky, how long has it been installed?

I have my doubts as to how many (standard green drives) will surpass 2 years (or make it to 3 years), problem-free, in a 4 tuner DVR, even more so with 6 tuners. However, the data on how any drive holds up in a Roamio (other than what TiVo tested), is limited by how long the Roamios have been on the market, which would be coming up to roughly a year at this point.

Since 4 tuner Premieres have been around longer, and should have roughly the same TB/yr workload as a 4 tuner Roamio, that would be a better reference point for different drives, in a TiVo with a tuner count greater than 2, but still doesn't address 6.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-23-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: shortened
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #2014
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Just for the record, not to be snarky, how long has it been installed? I have my doubts as to how many (standard green drives) will surpass 2 years (or make it to 3 years), problem-free, in a 4 tuner DVR, even more so with 6 tuners. However, the data on how any drive holds up in a Roamio (other than what TiVo tested), is limited by how long the Roamios have been on the market, which would be coming up to roughly a year at this point. Since 4 tuner Premieres have been around longer, and should have roughly the same TB/yr workload as a 4 tuner Roamio, that would be a better reference point for different drives, in a TiVo with a tuner count greater than 2, but still doesn't address 6.
Gee, thanks for that, but I'm not uninstalling it and spending about ~$125 for another 3TB HD "just in case" something happens to it in a couple years. It's been installed for a few months now, btw. You must drive yourself absolutely insane with your OCD.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #2015
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Is this an appropriate internal drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX or Seagate Desktop 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 RPM 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001?
You can also use WD30EFRX Red drive in a Roamio. Last time, I saw it selling on Amazon for about $122 while the similar WD Green drive was going for $130+.

Doubt anyone here would recommend an external drive expansion, only the Tivo Branded 1GB drive works and later in its life, it can fail at some point and you lose recordings.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 08-23-2014 at 07:27 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #2016
BuffaloDenny

Showing my ignorance here, but what's the difference between red and green drives?
JVC MV1S DVD Recorder
Polk speakers
Old 08-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #2017
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Showing my ignorance here, but what's the difference between red and green drives?
Red are NAS drives which usually run 24/7.

~~~~~

Old 08-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #2018
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
Is there anything special to perform if you swap a hard drive from one Roamio to another Roamio?
A quick reformat of the drive would allow the boot up firmware to treat it as a brand new drive and do a fresh install. Zeroing the master boot record (MBR) may well do the trick.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #2019
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Without going though the entire discussion of which is better, the red drives run at a faster rpm, consume more power, generate more heat and are designated for enterprise use and power users. Green drives spin at a slightly lower rpm, consume less power, generate less heat. The newest similar models with only the color designation are physically the same just with different drive firmware that changes their physical operation designation.

Both drives works in the Roamio and the green drives are preferred due the above listed differences. In the base Roamio there has been reports of issues with those drives that use more power (not necessarily the red drives) due to smaller power supply of the base TiVo.

As the Roamio doesn't utilize the full performance of the high performance drives, you don't gain anything by using a high performance drives such as 7200 rpm or faster drives and heat, power consumption and noise are a much more important factors when choosing a hard drive upgrade.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #2020
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Gee, thanks for that, but I'm not uninstalling it and spending about ~$125 for another 3TB HD "just in case" something happens to it in a couple years. It's been installed for a few months now, btw. You must drive yourself absolutely insane with your OCD.
I never suggested changing the drive you are using. How else will you/we know when that model drive fails? All platter drives will fail at some point. But, what I'm more interested in, is the point where it will pass all tests, but start causing issues with recordings, due to slow sectors. I've had that happen with six standard green drives. It only took just short of two years to have it happen, and was only isolated to the drive, using tools that measure sector read/write completion times, in addition to testing and benchmarking. This was when I had 2 tuner TiVo HDs, and 2 tuner Premieres. The mfg tests don't look for slow sectors. If they did, everybody would be getting RMAs while still in warranty. TiVo's non-SMART tests in KS54 do graph access times. But, those tests don't work on non-stock drives.

Be thankful I edited my post and nuked a longer mention of what I found out about the stock base-Roamio wall-wart power supplies. Hint: I'm no longer using them, and it's clear I was over-taxing their whopping 2.0A output rating. Telemark started a thread on this, so I cut my test results out of that post, and am cutting it short here.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #2021
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Without going though the entire discussion of which is better, the red drives run at a faster rpm, consume more power, generate more heat and are designated for enterprise use and power users. Green drives spin at a slightly lower rpm, consume less power, generate less heat. The newest similar models with only the color designation are physically the same just with different drive firmware that changes their physical operation designation.

Both drives works in the Roamio and the green drives are preferred due the above listed differences. In the base Roamio there has been reports of issues with those drives that use more power (not necessarily the red drives) due to smaller power supply of the base TiVo.

As the Roamio doesn't utilize the full performance of the high performance drives, you don't gain anything by using a high performance drives such as 7200 rpm or faster drives and heat, power consumption and noise are a much more important factors when choosing a hard drive upgrade.
All of this is false, unless you are referring the the NEW line of WD Red NAS PRO line of drives, aimed for another market, and not a replacement of the existing 5400RPM drives, less the "Pro" part of the name.

My god, does anybody do any real (thorough) research before posting anymore? I covered that the Pro line was 7200 RPM, and should not be used in a TiVo, right in this very thread.

The Red NAS has been the preferred drive for many on TCF, as it has the same or better of all these things:

Low power
Low (5400) RPM
Low heat
AV-rated
marketed for 24/7 operation
3 year warranty
Premium special support channels, for Red customers only.

There's more, that make them a great drive to buy in bulk, since they aren't so limited, like Green or AV-GP are. I use them all throughout my house, not just in my TiVos.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #2022
BuffaloDenny

OK, so it sounds like this is the best choice for a hard drive upgrade in a base Roamio:
WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX

$122 for the Red vs. $106 for the green. They don't list the speed, but I'll assume it's 5400 RPM.

Thanks for all the input folks - really helped me out!
JVC MV1S DVD Recorder
Polk speakers
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #2023
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
OK, so it sounds like this is the best choice for a hard drive upgrade in a base Roamio:
WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX

$122 for the Red vs. $106 for the green. They don't list the speed, but I'll assume it's 5400 RPM.

Thanks for all the input folks - really helped me out!
At Amazon, the Green WD30EURX was going for about $165, and the WD30EURS for about $155, but the 30EFRX stayed at $122. That is a significant dent to your wallet.

Edit: Just checked Amazon, WD30EURX $131, 30EURS $168.

~~~~~

Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #2024
BuffaloDenny

Geez, I thought I was set with the EFRX, but now I just looked up the EURS and EURX. EURS seems to get a lot of good reviews for the Roamio. I'm gonna guess that is now the best choice for Roamio basic, which of coarse is the most expensive, followed by the green EURX. Didn't notice a "red" designation on the EURS, not sure that it matters.
JVC MV1S DVD Recorder
Polk speakers
Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #2025
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Geez, I thought I was set with the EFRX, but now I just looked up the EURS and EURX. EURS seems to get a lot of good reviews for the Roamio. I'm gonna guess that is now the best choice for Roamio basic, which of coarse is the most expensive, followed by the green EURX. Didn't notice a "red" designation on the EURS, not sure that it matters.
Both EURS and EURX are Green drives, not sure where the Red comes in. The EFRX is a Red, generally for NAS running 24/7. Most have found the Red works well in their Tivos.

~~~~~

Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #2026
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Both EURS and EURX are Green drives, not sure where the Red comes in. The EFRX is a Red, generally for NAS running 24/7. Most have found the Red works well in their Tivos.
Just some friendly, added notes (for the others here): The EURS and EURX are AV-GP (Green, plus AV-rated and 24/7 marketed), not just "green". Green simply means a low power profile (low power requirements). Other "color-named" drives, like the Red NAS, and Purple, also are considered "green".

For comparison the EZRX is "green", but doesn't have those two factors going for it, and only has a 2yr warranty, whereas EURS/EURX have a 3yr warranty.

The WD Red Nas EFRX drives are not as intentionally crippled as the AV-GP and standard green drives are. Some of their added functions make it easy to repurpose a good one, pulled out of a TiVo, if you upgrade again. On top of that, they are often compared (in reviews) to 7200RPM performance, when used for computer and/or RAID/NAS use, without running at the higher RPMs. They aren't fast enough for that comparison, IMO, just faster than Green, with or without the AV part.

Since it's bound to come up again: The WD Purple PURX drives are very use-specific. Sure, one member has verified they could make one work in a Roamio. But, only as a drive for developing a free Roamio 4TB drive-prep tool. Extended use was never the goal for that member.

Both the Red & Purple have TLER/ERC, which handles error correction in a manner that is not optimal for TiVo, should you have any weak/slow/bad sector issues (later on down the road). While I use Red NAS, as do several others here, my own experiences with some weakly-written sectors, and the way they were handled by the drive, rather than letting the TiVo deal with them, was not a great confidence booster. The drive operated as designed to, which is great for RAID, but not so much for TiVo, where you want the TiVo to see the error and deal with it, not having it hidden from the TiVo, by the drive.

I already do not recommend the Purple drives. Unless I verify that TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery), better known as ERC (Error Recovery Control), can be disabled, and remain disabled, in an easy manner, I just might begin advising those who aren't hard drive gurus, should just stick to drives without this function, and even avoid the Red NAS, since it has it, and it comes factory-enabled on Purple and Red.

It's also worth noting that the Red and Purple drives each have compatibility lists, for what they are known to work with. TiVo is not in the list for either. This could lead to support issues, should you call WD to get support for using these drives in a TiVo.

Could somebody please tell me what chipset the Roamios use, for their hard drive functions? I'd like to know that the same chipset is used in all Roamios, plus I'd like to know if at least the chipset is on either one of the compatibility lists.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:35 AM   #2027
lessd

Quote:
Just some friendly, added notes (for the others here): The EURS and EURX are AV-GP (Green, plus AV-rated and 24/7 marketed), not just "green". Green simply means a low power profile (low power requirements). Other "color-named" drives, like the Red NAS, and Purple, also are considered "green".

For comparison the EZRX is "green", but doesn't have those two factors going for it, and only has a 2yr warranty, whereas EURS/EURX have a 3yr warranty.

The WD Red Nas EFRX drives are not as intentionally crippled as the AV-GP and standard green drives are. Some of their added functions make it easy to repurpose a good one, pulled out of a TiVo, if you upgrade again. On top of that, they are often compared (in reviews) to 7200RPM performance, when used for computer and/or RAID/NAS use, without running at the higher RPMs. They aren't fast enough for that comparison, IMO, just faster than Green, with or without the AV part.

Since it's bound to come up again: The WD Purple PURX drives are very use-specific. Sure, one member has verified they could make one work in a Roamio. But, only as a drive for developing a free Roamio 4TB drive-prep tool. Extended use was never the goal for that member.

Both the Red & Purple have TLER/ERC, which handles error correction in a manner that is not optimal for TiVo, should you have any weak/slow/bad sector issues (later on down the road). While I use Red NAS, as do several others here, my own experiences with some weakly-written sectors, and the way they were handled by the drive, rather than letting the TiVo deal with them, was not a great confidence booster. The drive operated as designed to, which is great for RAID, but not so much for TiVo, where you want the TiVo to see the error and deal with it, not having it hidden from the TiVo, by the drive.

I already do not recommend the Purple drives. Unless I verify that TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery), better known as ERC (Error Recovery Control), can be disabled, and remain disabled, in an easy manner, I just might begin advising those who aren't hard drive gurus, should just stick to drives without this function, and even avoid the Red NAS, since it has it, and it comes factory-enabled on Purple and Red.

It's also worth noting that the Red and Purple drives each have compatibility lists, for what they are known to work with. TiVo is not in the list for either. This could lead to support issues, should you call WD to get support for using these drives in a TiVo.

Could somebody please tell me what chipset the Roamios use, for their hard drive functions? I'd like to know that the same chipset is used in all Roamios, plus I'd like to know if at least the chipset is on either one of the compatibility lists.
Over the years I have used the least costly WD drives at the upgrade time for myself and friends, only had one drive fail in the last 8 years, (my kids have a drive in a series 2 upgraded in 2005 and still working) and one WD drive fail within the warranty, WD never asked anything about the drives use, I just did a fast replacement without problems.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:48 AM   #2028
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Over the years I have used the least costly WD drives at the upgrade time for myself and friends, only had one drive fail in the last 8 years, (my kids have a drive in a series 2 upgraded in 2005 and still working) and one WD drive fail within the warranty, WD never asked anything about the drives use, I just did a fast replacement without problems.
But, none of the drives you speak of was a Red or Purple, right?

I'm also going to go out on a limb, and assume you have not recently visited WD's "Support Portal", where all (mainstream) registration/support/warranty matters go through. If you haven't, you might want to review their new, more restrictive, policies. Seriously, you might think twice before buying WD, again. Try getting a copy of wdidle3.exe from them, without having one of the ~5 drives it was intended for registered to you (by serial number). Try getting any tool that used to be available by simply going the the product page. Registration now determines what tools/utilities you are granted access to.

The Red NAS has it's own support channels. They are supposed to be exclusive and premium (I have yet to test this claim).

The WD Purple has such a short compatibility list, even the marketing says to check it before buying.

WD (seems to have) learned from the original Red NAS v1.0 (which was terribly incompatible with a lot of devices/chipsets), that a specialized product without established compatibility should not just be put on market, without advising it's a work-in-progress, and it has a compatibility list.

I'm happy for you that the cheapest possible drives have worked so well, and your claim of 1 failure being a RMA breeze.

I'm just a bit concerned that you're possibly letting fond memories, and past experiences, cloud what is here and now, and assuming nothing pertinent has changed. If you are running an 8yr old drive, now, how does that apply to what's in inventory at Newegg, manufactured 1-3 months ago, which will be under the fresh, new, support and warranty T&C at WD?

I have some drives that "just won't die", too. Some are as old as 12yrs. I had a great RMA experience a year ago, with six drives. Can I even go about the RMA the same, easy, way it worked then, now? Heck no. WD clearly is trying to make it harder to get RMAs. It was their almost "without question or scrutiny" policies and procedures for RMAs that bought my brand loyalty. I just might be switching to Seagate, at the rate WD has been pumping out drives that arrive DOA, defective, or die shortly after testing and installation. If this recent product refresh cleans out the pipeline, and starts providing good drives again, I might stick with WD. I'm on the fence, right now.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-25-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: shortened
Old 08-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #2029
lessd

Quote:
But, none of the drives you speak of was a Red or Purple, right?

I'm also going to go out on a limb, and assume you have not recently visited WD's "Support Portal", where all (mainstream) registration/support/warranty matters go through. If you haven't, you might want to review their new, more restrictive, policies. Seriously, you might think twice before buying WD, again. Try getting a copy of wdidle3.exe from them, without having one of the ~5 drives it was intended for registered to you (by serial number). Try getting any tool that used to be available by simply going the the product page. Registration now determines what tools/utilities you are granted access to.

The Red NAS has it's own support channels. They are supposed to be exclusive and premium (I have yet to test this claim).

The WD Purple has such a short compatibility list, even the marketing says to check it before buying.

WD (seems to have) learned from the original Red NAS v1.0 (which was terribly incompatible with a lot of devices/chipsets), that a specialized product without established compatibility should not just be put on market, without advising it's a work-in-progress, and it has a compatibility list.

I'm happy for you that the cheapest possible drives have worked so well, and your claim of 1 failure being a RMA breeze.

I'm just a bit concerned that you're possibly letting fond memories, and past experiences, cloud what is here and now, and assuming nothing pertinent has changed. If you are running an 8yr old drive, now, how does that apply to what's in inventory at Newegg, manufactured 1-3 months ago, which will be under the fresh, new, support and warranty T&C at WD?

I have some drives that "just won't die", too. Some are as old as 12yrs. I had a great RMA experience a year ago, with six drives. Can I even go about the RMA the same, easy, way it worked then, now? Heck no. WD clearly is trying to make it harder to get RMAs. It was their almost "without question or scrutiny" policies and procedures for RMAs that bought my brand loyalty. I just might be switching to Seagate, at the rate WD has been pumping out drives that arrive DOA, defective, or die shortly after testing and installation. If this recent product refresh cleans out the pipeline, and starts providing good drives again, I might stick with WD. I'm on the fence, right now.
Things will change with all technology, I not doing any more TiVo upgrades now, the last ones were in 2013, so your correct about me going to the WD web page, as I have not, I have only used WD red (for the 3Tb upgrade) and green drives, all working great now but for the future I don't know, maybe I will be sorry, I will let you know if that happens.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:28 AM   #2030
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I was doing some refresher digging on the matter of compatibility, suitability, & warranty, finding this recurring fine print is on the bottom of WD spec sheets for every drive model I checked:

Quote:
WD hard drives are designed and tested for use in specific applications and environments. This ensures that your hard drive is compatible with and functions properly in your application. Our hard drives are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship in the system for which they were designed. Use in systems other than for what the hard drive was designed could result in compatibility problems that affect proper function, unrelated to material and/or workmanship defects. For best results, be sure to select the appropriate product for your application by consulting our product spec sheets on our website at www.wd.com or by calling our customer support line where we would be happy to help you through the selection process.
Besides adding some bold and underlining, I wrote up a post I thought some would appreciate about the changes going on with drive warranties, and enforcement of the T&C of drive warranties.

Then, I woke-up and realized I'm on TCF, where people will just roll their eyes at me, be snarky, and make crude comments about OCD, etc. So, the rest of the post is saved as a text document. PM me if you'd like to see the rest.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-27-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added red highlight
Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #2031
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Good call.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #2032
unitron

Quote:
I was doing some refresher digging on the matter of compatibility, suitability, & warranty, finding this recurring fine print is on the bottom of WD spec sheets for every drive model I checked:

Besides adding some bold and underlining, I wrote up a post I thought some would appreciate about the changes going on with drive warranties, and enforcement of the T&C of drive warranties.

Then, I woke-up and realized I'm on TCF, where people will just roll their eyes at me, be snarky, and make crude comments about OCD, etc. So, the rest of the post is saved as a text document. PM me if you'd like to see the rest.
Email it to me and I'll post it under my name (giving proper credit, of course), for the benefit of future searchers, and everybody can bitch at me instead.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #2033
lessd

Quote:

WD hard drives are designed and tested for use in specific applications and environments. This ensures that your hard drive is compatible with and functions properly in your application. Our hard drives are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship in the system for which they were designed. Use in systems other than for what the hard drive was designed could result in compatibility problems that affect proper function, unrelated to material and/or workmanship defects. For best results, be sure to select the appropriate product for your application by consulting our product spec sheets on our website at www.wd.com or by calling our customer support line where we would be happy to help you through the selection process.

I wonder how rigorously WD enforce this, about 6 month ago I sent in a WD drive for a warranty replacement (for a friend) and WD asked nothing about how it was used, I guess if you needed to return 100 drives WD might ask something.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #2034
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Email it to me and I'll post it under my name (giving proper credit, of course), for the benefit of future searchers, and everybody can bitch at me instead.
Very long PM sent. There are no capacitors involved, so maybe you'll agree with it.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #2035
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I wonder how rigorously WD enforce this, about 6 month ago I sent in a WD drive for a warranty replacement (for a friend) and WD asked nothing about how it was used, I guess if you needed to return 100 drives WD might ask something.
I wonder if there's a more relaxed set of rules for full-retail drives, as opposed to OEM ones. That could explain some things. WD's system always has correctly identified OEM/retail, that I can recall. But, I haven't bought a retail drive in a long time. So, what I post is all OEM drive experiences.

Currently, it's a "no registration record, no RMA" enforcement, at minimum (although you can do the two in the same portal session).
Six months would be right around the time the portal was being reworked. While they were doing so, anything might have gone through.
I was able to register and RMA the stock drives in Lenovo laptops, and even TiVos. When somebody said it wasn't possible, I went back to try it again, and the portal rejected those I hadn't yet registered.
Before the new portal, I went to correct the purchase dates on drives I had guessed on, but found my invoices, and entered earlier dates, which extended the in-warranty date by six months. Huh, what? I re-adjusted the date, then re-corrected it back again, and... six more months of warranty. The portal now no longer allows editing the info you provide. I wonder why...

I almost chucked drives the portal had said were out of warranty, then magically said were in warranty, when I edited the purchase date to an earlier date (should have made them more out of warranty). I tested the dates by requesting the RMAs, no problems. Again, no wonder the portal has been reworked. Of the 52 drives I have registered, the in-warranty dates that were there before, even though longer than "should be possible", were retained.

I have an OEM laptop drive that will be going back soon, which is in the pre-existing list, and incorrectly extended. So, when I get around to that, I'll be taking notes on anything that goes differently.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-27-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: removed excess spacing
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #2036
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I didn't address the question of WD caring (or not) how a drive was used.

Unless I open a support ticket, and interact with somebody, the subject has never come up for me. If I select a reason for RMA that attempts to redirect me to support, I back-out, or start-over.

I have seen what happens when you interact, and say something like "My WD20EZRX drive isn't working in my RAID array". You get canned responses about not using the right drive and a link to the drives meant for RAID arrays. It's the same canned responses you see in the mfg reply entries in the Newegg reviews where people whine that that their standard green, or AV-GP drive, isn't playing well in a RAID array.

WD used to give special links to use to enter the portal, if you were a review poster. That special treatment has been revoked as part of the overhaul. I can't speak for phone-in support, other than the new portal is supposed to be the one, and only, way to registration, support, and warranty services. How tight they will be on that (like if you buy hard drives, but somehow don't have the internet), remains to be seen.

EDIT/ADD: WD Red NAS drives include an "exclusive" toll-free number sticker. I haven't tried it. I have seen many reports of it being completely useless, and/or a joke. Maybe I'll try it, since I do have one erratic Red NAS drive yet to deal with. I'd rather just take my chances with the portal.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-27-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: See edit/add
Old 08-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #2037
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Frequently asked questions about your WD Support Portal account

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9455/

Frequently asked questions about your WD Support Portal account
Answer ID 9455 | Last Updated 03/27/2014
https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/
<-- -->
IMPORTANT
Important: We recently upgraded our support portal to make it easier to contact Western Digital for support. If you already have an account with us or have contacted us for support previously, you will need a new password for your account by clicking on the I forgot my password link. If you don't have a support account with us, you will need to create one.

Some of the features of the WD Support Portal include:
Support case submissions
History of support cases
Product registration
Access to restricted downloads based on your registered products
RMA & Warranty Services
RMA Creation
RMA Status
RMA Pre-mailer (RMA ship-to address)
RMA History

Please see below for a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Q: Why do I need a support account?
A: A WD Support account is required in order for us to provide you with support. In addition, the account will give access to support and warranty services that are only available within the WD Support Portal.
Q: I previously registered or logged into your WD registration account before May 19th. Can I use the same login and password?
A: The WD Support Portal requires a new password even if you previously have used our registration service. Please click on the "I forgot my password" link to get your new password.
Q: Do I have to register my WD product to create an RMA?
A: Yes. Product registration is required for RMA creation. However, if you need assistance with your RMA and you do not have a WD Support account, please Contact Us for assistance.
Q: What happened to my emails that I sent in for support? Can I still access them and can I use the same login and password?
A: The will have all your support emails for the past 6 months. In order to access your emails through the WD Support Portal, you can use your email address but you will need a new password. Please click on the I forgot my password link to get your new password.
Q: How do I check the warranty on my WD product?
A: You can check the warranty from our warranty status page or within the WD Support Portal.
Q: How do I check the status on my RMA?
A: You can check the status of your RMA within the WD Support Portal.
Q: Where can I get my RMA Pre-Mailer?
A: You can get your RMA Pre-Mailer within the WD Support Portal.
Q: How do I contact WD for support?
A: For our hours of operation and contact information, please visit our Contact Us page.
Q: How can I create a new support case or send an email for support?
A: You can create a a new support case or send us an email for through the WD Support Portal.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-27-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #2038
JWhites

I see a lot of talk about Western Digital and barely anything about Seagate. Could we please give it equal attention?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #2039
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I see a lot of talk about Western Digital and barely anything about Seagate. Could we please give it equal attention?
It is barely mentioned because almost no one is going with it. People recommend what is working well for them, which at the moment are the WD drives.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #2040
HarperVision

My base Roamio had a 500GB Seagate in it, so we know they at least use them.