TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #1981
mattack

4-7 days before you use a drive you just bought? Wow..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #1982
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
4-7 days before you use a drive you just bought? Wow..
There was a time, not so very long ago, when you could wait a year or more for your data to be copied with high reliability. What's a couple days?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #1983
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
BobCamp1:
If you have knowledge, could you cover acceptance or burn-in testing?
For those who missed it, this was an excellent test question (whether or not it was used/intended that way, which I'm not implying either way).

The answer given answered questions that were not asked, but were there.

If you are scratching your head, or thinking "huh, what?", don't worry about it.

Thanks to telemark, a burning question I had was answered. The test question only works for the first response. So, any new/extended answer doesn't count.

Just enjoy the silence, if you still don't get it. I need a break anyway.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #1984
clouduser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouduser1 View Post
green AV bought! thanks for the guidance. ill let you peeps know when i get it. ill be posting on the installing thread (if there is one)
Im back! installed the 3tb ab wd hd i posted about earlier (got a good deal on eBay, the dude is selling more of them You could probably get them for around 80 bucks). The installation was pretty easy but i did experience on issue;

Cable card was unpaired.

Now i don't know if this was caused by Time Warner (they recently updated their guide info so they may have messed more stuff up. they have done this before). Or could this issue have come about because of my tampering with the HD? I did disconnect the tivo for about a day, could this have caused it?

To be clear, i am missing most of my channels; when i go to a premium channel that i should be subscribed to i get the tivo message saying the channel is unauthorized.
clouduser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #1985
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouduser1 View Post
Im back! installed the 3tb ab wd hd i posted about earlier (got a good deal on eBay, the dude is selling more of them You could probably get them for around 80 bucks). The installation was pretty easy but i did experience on issue;

Cable card was unpaired.

Now i don't know if this was caused by Time Warner (they recently updated their guide info so they may have messed more stuff up. they have done this before). Or could this issue have come about because of my tampering with the HD? I did disconnect the tivo for about a day, could this have caused it?

To be clear, i am missing most of my channels; when i go to a premium channel that i should be subscribed to i get the tivo message saying the channel is unauthorized.
Most times when you change a TiVo hard drive you have to re-pair the cable card, in your case you going to have to call your cable co to get your Cable card re-pared.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #1986
clouduser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Most times when you change a TiVo hard drive you have to re-pair the cable card, in your case you going to have to call your cable co to get your Cable card re-pared.
Yeah i called and got the issue resolved and yeah it was just a matter of getting the cable card re-paired. All good now! just have to wait a while for the complete cable guide to come in.
clouduser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #1987
dave_d

I might as well (since I just bought one) what's a decent drive for the upgrade these days? (I mean I know when I upgraded my Tivo 4 I got a WD EURS) Mostly I ask since otherwise I'd have to read through all 67 pages. (I did see that if I'm willing to play with Linux I can do 4TB but 3 is plug and play so to speak.) I guess I should ask have a lot of people done the 4tb upgrade?
dave_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #1988
dave_d

Sorry, found the link

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10201281

I guess I'll go from there.
dave_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #1989
DancyMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_d View Post
I might as well (since I just bought one) what's a decent drive for the upgrade these days? (I mean I know when I upgraded my Tivo 4 I got a WD EURS) Mostly I ask since otherwise I'd have to read through all 67 pages. (I did see that if I'm willing to play with Linux I can do 4TB but 3 is plug and play so to speak.) I guess I should ask have a lot of people done the 4tb upgrade?
You don't have to read all 67 pages, just post 67, to get an answer to your question. Every time someone makes a post like yours, this thread gets off the Information Highway and onto Pedantic Drive and comes to a stop at the intersection with Technical Irrelevancy Way.

Last edited by DancyMunchkin : 08-17-2014 at 01:53 PM.
DancyMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #1990
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_d View Post
I guess I should ask have a lot of people done the 4tb upgrade?
I guess I should answer. Based on the download history, there should be 20-60 installs.

I don't have more accurate numbers which could skew higher because I don't force posting back data from the installer, which I'm reconsidering now.

Last edited by telemark : 08-18-2014 at 05:57 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #1991
ShoutingMan

Thanks all for the summary on how to upgrade a TiVo drive. I see there's differing opinions on how much testing to do before installing the drive. I'll keep that in mind, but testing adds cost and complexity as I'd have to also buy an external drive enclosure for the task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It's in a Tivo, it's not running some mission-critical app. When it dies you get another one, in-warranty or not. If you're that worried about losing recordings, offboard them to a PC with pyTivo and kmttg.
Are pytivo and kmttg two-way? The practical problem with upgrading is losing many seasons of recorded shows. If I could pull all the shows off the original drive and then push them back onto the new drive, I might get the necessary SAF
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #1992
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Are pytivo and kmttg two-way? The practical problem with upgrading is losing many seasons of recorded shows. If I could pull all the shows off the original drive and then push them back onto the new drive, I might get the necessary SAF
pyTivo is two way. You could use it to push or pull the recordings back to the TiVo. I prefer pull since that will restore things )as far as possible) to the situation ante. Or you could just leave them on the PC until you want to watch one.

Be forewarned that any recordings marked "copy protected" cannot be transferred. Normally, this is just premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) but some cable systems, TWC in particular, protect just about everything except locals.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #1993
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

PyTivo works both directions to download (pull) and upload (Push and pull) video. FYI, Pull is downloading to the intended device at the same device for which it was called, push is uploading to the remote device (Tivo) from the distant device (PC).

KMTTG is download to PC only, but it has a feature to push to Tivo, which is borrowed from PyTivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #1994
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
KMTTG is download to PC only, but it has a feature to push to Tivo, which is borrowed from PyTivo.
It's not "borrowed from pyTivo", it invokes pyTivo to actually do the push.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #1995
telemark

Quote:
I see there's differing opinions on how much testing to do before installing the drive... I'd have to also buy an external drive enclosure for the task.
I didn't mean to imply that spending money for a case (or computer) especially is worthwhile.
Only meant to address situations with access to testing hardware already but perceived there's no value in utilizing it, in exchange for time.

Addendum: if I personally did not have access to a PC, I would try to get a Hard Drive (everything else being equal) that works with at least some of the KickStart 54 test.
Unfortunately that depends on user reports, and there's been limited reporting.

Last edited by telemark : 08-18-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #1996
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancyMunchkin View Post
You don't have to read all 67 pages, just post 67, to get an answer to your question. Every time someone makes a post like yours, this thread gets off the Information Highway and onto Pedantic Drive and comes to a stop at the intersection with Technical Irrelevancy Way.
Sure ... and this post of yours carries what value, to do with anything?

Talk about somebody living in a glass house, who throws stones...

I couldn't help but notice the pattern that can be seen by "Find more posts by DancyMunchkin", since your recent joining to TCF. One screen worth, and 80% of it is rude/negative commentary about me, and others here. Since you are so quick to state "_________ isn't worth...", and appear to have a problem with a vast number of members, it make me wonder when you were banned, and under what username you used to be here. If that's not the case, you're awfully quick to start spewing vitriol and venom, about others.

I also couldn't help but notice that during the time those who post (perfectly valid) technical data were not posting, the zero-value, off-topic posts, which filled the vacuum.

Believe it, or not, there are people on TCF who understand technical things, and don't require the Sesame Street for Dummies (or Simpson family) version.

Whatever ... many here would shoot the messenger, just because they can't understand the terminology used in the message...

I just put on my kevlar, and do my best, anyway. Some people have been kind enough to publicly thank me for my help, here, and in other threads, where I broke out the technical data to back up the advice I offer. It's a heck of a lot better than somebody who only has one POV (their own), and the only backup supporting it is "because I said so".
Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #1997
DancyMunchkin

Quote:
Thanks all for the summary on how to upgrade a TiVo drive. I see there's differing opinions on how much testing to do before installing the drive. I'll keep that in mind, but testing adds cost and complexity as I'd have to also buy an external drive enclosure for the task.
You don't need to do any testing.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 AM   #1998
DancyMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Sure ... and this post of yours carries what value, to do with anything?
The value is obvious to most people. It tells dave_d he doesn't have to read 67 pages of technical navel gazing.

And I understand what you write. That's not the problem. The problem is 99% of it is irrelevant to the question asked. You are the quintessential example of the person who is asked what time it is and they tell you how to build a watch.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #1999
DancyMunchkin

Quote:
You don't need to do any testing.
ShoutingMan and dave_d - Lest there be any confusion...I was browsing this forum long before I joined. I've owned first generation Tivos, ReplayTVs as well as cable company DVRs. When the Roamios were first available I saw this thread.

1. Ordered a Roamio Basic since the option to use OTA appealed more to me than additional tuners or a faster Ethernet port.
2. Order the hard drive shown in post 67, 2 TB.
3. Both arrived on the same day.
4. Without first powering up the Roamio, I replaced the drive it came with with the new drive.
5. Powered the Roamio and went through Guided Setup.
6. Cable company came out to install the CableCard and a TA and take away their 2 DVRs, which I replaced with the Roamio Basic and a Mini.
7. I also use a separate Stream for viewing when away.

It's been running this way for almost a year without issues.

I imagine what I did was successfully done by dozens of people, who, like on many discussion forums don't post their successes, they simply move on with life.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #2000
lessd

Quote:
I imagine what I did was successfully done by dozens of people, who, like on many discussion forums don't post their successes, they simply move on with life.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
The first successful upgrade is worth noting, but after that your correct just filling a Thread by posting their successes gives out no usefull information.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #2001
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I didn't mean to imply that spending money for a case (or computer) especially is worthwhile.
Only meant to address situations with access to testing hardware already but perceived there's no value in utilizing it, in exchange for time.

Addendum: if I personally did not have access to a PC, I would try to get a Hard Drive (everything else being equal) that works with at least some of the KickStart 54 test.
Unfortunately that depends on user reports, and there's been limited reporting.
I understand there's definitely a range of opinions on how much to test. If I do this, and it's easy and cheap, I'd be inclined to do a days worth of testing on a drive to check it's not going to die immediately. But I don't have the tools for drive testing, so realistically I'd plug in a new drive and pray my wife doesn't collect on my life insurance early due to a premature TiVo failure
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #2002
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If you don't have the tools then pop the drive in and move on with life. And if you do have the tools, just pop the drive in and move on with life.

Pretty easy.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #2003
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I'd break KS 54 down this way (lacking easy access to a PC to test)

* Install drive & Set-up the TiVo.
* Switch remote to IR-mode, by holding-down Tivo + red C, until LED on remote flashes red (or grab a pre-Roamio remote).
* Reboot the TiVo.
* Wait for amber light to rapidly flicker then quickly press pause (don't hold it down), now green and yellow should be on solid, quickly press 5 then 4.
* Select to run SMART tests (but not the non-SMART ones)
* Short test: is just that - 2 minutes of doing a simple test
* Conveyance test: 7 minutes of doing tests designed specifically to detect shipping/mis-handling damage, and the types of errors caused by such.
* Extended test: 6-7 hours to complete (3TB). If not done after 8 hours, abort it (there are some drives, like the WD Red and Purple, which will never report test finished), and don't panic if it says "fail" after aborting it (normal).
* (Optionally, if the extended completes/passes) Run the Offline Data Collection test, if have another 8-9 hours to spare. Abort if 10 hours has passed (without completion), ignore a "fail" result, if you abort (normal).
* View the SMART attributes, if you know what they represent, or skip doing so. If no failures are reported (most common is a "Fail 7 - Read Element").
* Move on with life during the time the tests take, or sleep on the long one.
* The short and conveyance tests might be the only two you can do. If you pass the extended test, much better. If you can pass the offline test, you will know that you have done all you can do with KS54.
* Switch remote back to RF-mode, by holding-down Tivo + green D, until LED on remote flashes yellow (or don't, if you used a pre-Roamio remote).
* Move on with your life, and enjoy your TiVo!

It's been a while since this stuff has been covered. This is as short as it gets, when I'm posting a "how-to KS54 (HDD SMART test)" with a Roamio.
The KS54 tests can be exited by pressing left repeatedly.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-19-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: context
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #2004
malba2366

WD purple drive??

I am looking to upgrade the tivo 1tb drive to 3tb. I saw that the wd30eurs/Eurx were considered to be the best fit. I cannot seem to find
Those drives directly from a trustworthy vendor (ie amazon and not marketplace vendors). According to newegg the wd purple drives (WD30puex) is the replacement...does anyone have experience with these purple drives?
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #2005
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
I am looking to upgrade the tivo 1tb drive to 3tb. I saw that the wd30eurs/Eurx were considered to be the best fit. I cannot seem to find
Those drives directly from a trustworthy vendor (ie amazon and not marketplace vendors). According to newegg the wd purple drives (WD30puex) is the replacement...does anyone have experience with these purple drives?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10127194
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #2006
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
poppagene was kind enough to provide a link to one of my earliest posts on the WD Purple (one of many, none in favor of it, but none saying it won't work). I assure you that the Purple is not the "new" AV-GP, like Newegg (misleadingly) makes it out to be. I say go with the drive that TiVo factory installs in TiVos (when they use WD), which is also the drive with the best track record, the AV-GP (WD__EURX) drives. The older model of the same drive was the EURS, which also has that history/track record factor.

Until the day comes that somebody opens up a factory fresh TiVo and sees a Purple PURX drive inside, or WD does replace/refresh/rename the AV-GP drive line, I'll stick with recommending AV-GP.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #2007
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

Is there anything special to perform if you swap a hard drive from one Roamio to another Roamio?
knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #2008
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
Is there anything special to perform if you swap a hard drive from one Roamio to another Roamio?
I recall someone needing to do the Factory Reset or equivalent, when moving a Roamio prepped drives between models.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?p=10187178
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=518961

It's theorized when moving between the same models, a C&DE would be enough, but I would prefer the Factory Reset still, because it's fast and C&DE is slow.

Last edited by telemark : 08-21-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #2009
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
I had to do a kickstart factory reset when I swapped a drive from a basic to a plus, clear and delete didn't work, I couldn't record anything and in system info, it woylnt display the boxes TSN.

If you are swapping drives from same type of Roamio, a clear and reset might work fine, it's believed that since the basic doesn't have stream, there is a slightly different software missing if you do as I did and just try swapping drives without doing anything the box isn't happy. (when I did it, the first boot stated there was an error and it supposlyvcorrected it but in reality, it didnt until I did the factory reset.

Fyi you won't be able to save any recordings no matter what you end up doing, might be good to run the drive though a full write zeros diag on a pc.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #2010
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

Thanks for the help.
knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote