TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #1741
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I'd stick with what TiVo installs OEM: Western Digital 2 TB WD AV-GP - WD20EURX Western Digital 3 TB WD AV-GP - WD30EURS or Western Digital 3 TB WD AV-GP - WD30EURX
I pulled a Seagate 500GB out of my basic a month or so ago, so apparently they use those as well.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #1742
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I pulled a Seagate 500GB out of my basic a month or so ago, so apparently they use those as well.
Mine was a Seagate equipped Basic as well. It was a half-height(quarter height?) drive, the WD I replaced it with was the standard size drive we're all familiar with.
keenanSR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:43 AM   #1743
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
Mine was a Seagate equipped Basic as well. It was a half-height(quarter height?) drive, the WD I replaced it with was the standard size drive we're all familiar with.
Your Basic had a 2.5-inch laptop drive?
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 AM   #1744
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Your Basic had a 2.5-inch laptop drive?
It isn't a 2.5-inch laptop drive, it is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148539

I have only seen reports of TiVo using a Seagate drive on a 500GB model base Roamio, and I believe the 500GB Premiere.

It seems TiVo uses either a WD AV-GP or a Seagate on the 500GB models only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-09-2014 at 05:28 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #1745
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
I'd stick with what TiVo installs OEM:

Western Digital 2 TB WD AV-GP - WD20EURX

Western Digital 3 TB WD AV-GP - WD30EURS
or
Western Digital 3 TB WD AV-GP - WD30EURX
And also the 2TB WD20EURS, which was installed stock on the Premiere XL4/Elite. The only difference between the EURS and the EURX is the SATA spec (3 gb/s vs. 6 gb/s), which is irrelevant for these Tivos so go for whichever one is cheaper.

And as mentioned the Seagate Pipeline series of AV drives (now called Seagate Video), either the 2TB ST2000VM003 or the 3TB ST3000VM002, but I'd stick with the WDs if you go above 2TB since they draw 4.5W vs. 7.5W on the 3TB Seagates.

Last edited by slowbiscuit : 05-09-2014 at 06:44 AM.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #1746
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And also the 2TB WD20EURS, which was installed stock on the Premiere XL4/Elite. The only difference between the EURS and the EURX is the SATA spec (3 gb/s vs. 6 gb/s), which is irrelevant for these Tivos so go for whichever one is cheaper.
The WD 2TB WD20EURS is discontinued and you need to be careful who you purchase one from, most I have seen online now, and I even purchased one, that was a Recertified HDD, even though the seller said it was new.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #1747
keenanSR

Quote:
It isn't a 2.5-inch laptop drive, it is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148539

I have only seen reports of TiVo using a Seagate drive on a 500GB model base Roamio, and I believe the 500GB Premiere.

It seems TiVo uses either a WD AV-GP or a Seagate on the 500GB models only.
That's it.
keenanSR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #1748
A J Ricaud

Newegg has Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower drives for $109.99

until 5/15 with PROMO CODE: EMCPEWA28
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #1749
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Newegg has Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower drives for $109.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
until 5/15 with PROMO CODE: EMCPEWA28
For $5-$10 more, you can buy the actual EURX, when it goes on their rotating sale price, and get 1 year longer warranty (3yrs, instead of 2yrs).

The EURS/EURX drives are AV-GP, the EZRX are just GP.

The only part that most care about, aside from the price, is getting a longer warranty, while some stick with the product lines TiVo uses.

Non-Roamio users will need to disable/change the Intellipark ide-timer, using a PC, and direct connection to a SATA port, using the WDIDLE3.EXE utility, if using the Non-AV drives.

It's always appreciated when people give NewEgg sales heads-ups.

I just wanted people to know the essential differences.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-09-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added title
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #1750
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I just wanted people to know the essential differences.
Good point.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 AM   #1751
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Non-Roamio users will need to disable/change the Intellipark ide-timer, using a PC, and direct connection to a SATA port, using the WDIDLE3.EXE utility, if using the Non-AV drives.
Roamio sends a command to disable it?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #1752
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Re: Intellipark

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Roamio sends a command to disable it?
No. This is something a user has to do to prepare a hard drive with intellipark features enabled -- before it goes in the Tivo.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #1753
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
No. This is something a user has to do to prepare a hard drive with intellipark features enabled -- before it goes in the Tivo.
He's asking why this *doesn't* need to be done on a Roamio.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #1754
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
He's asking why this *doesn't* need to be done on a Roamio.
Does it have to be done on the Roamio as the boot time is much faster?, I have just disable it out of habit not because I have any evidence that it should be done.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #1755
lpwcomp

I would think it probable that the Roamio doesn't need to access the disk until the driver is loaded and that the initial commands sent to the disk implicitly un-park the heads.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #1756
ggieseke

I'm pretty sure it reads Block0 and the partition table from the disk before booting the rest of the OS from flash memory.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #1757
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Re: Intellipark setting on Roamio vs Other Tivos

There have been numerous people who have upgraded using non-AV drives, on Roamios, reporting back that they left the Intellipark (Idle-Timer) setting at the factory default, and experienced no Intellipark warm-boot/reboot hangs.

I've verified it myself with my base-Roamios.

Even back in the products/models before the Roamio, there was some sort of hard drive firmware check at boot time, and it was supposed to change the setting, if detected to be set whatever way the criteria was, and to leave it alone, otherwise.

I don't know if the Intellipark (Idle-Timer) setting is this setting, or if it some other firmware value. One can only be sure of part of what the TiVo logs report (unless you work in the right dept at TiVo).

It could be that the earlier (pre-Roamio) models were attempting to verify/modify this setting on the fly. There were periods of time when WD was setting the timer to differing values, or shipping it disabled, even on the actual AV-GP series drives.

At this time, it's like this: OEM AV-GP drives have it factory-disabled, while all other drives supporting the feature (that I'm aware of) have it enabled, and set to a very short length (like 8 seconds).

The WD Red NAS drives, which are also AV "rated" and marketed as 24/7 drives, have their own specialized version of it, and have a different tool/utility that can be used to change it. The standard tool will report and act like it is doing the job, but I'm not certain it does. There may be a secondary APM (Advanced Power Management) subset, that also can sense idle time and do the same thing as Intellipark.

It could just be that the Roamio never leaves the drive "idle" long enough to let the timer time-out, due to a speedier boot, or a change made in the booting processes.

Anybody claiming that the WDIDLE3.EXE Intellipark (Idle-Timer) utility must be used on all TiVos (including Roamios), has either made an assumption, or has experienced something counter to the many reports on TCF, about the Roamios.

I'm in the camp of: I'd rather just disable (or set the time-out to the max of 300 seconds), than ever have to worry that not changing the setting will come back and haunt me down the road.

Some people don't have the luxury of having a PC they can crack open and connect the drive to a SATA port, as required, to change the setting. Some are scared to do it, and/or have no idea what they are doing.

These people can choose to buy an AV-GP (or other brand equivalent) drive, to not have to deal with the matter.

It should be noted that WD can change what their default setting is, or their practice of which drives ship with it disabled. It's a parallel situation to how, so far, the Roamio doesn't seem to be affected by the setting. TiVo could accidentally bring the problem back, with a future software update, and drives with the setting left as-is, may start hanging on software/warm reboots.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #1758
yukit

So I just put in a brand new EZRX drive in a Roamio basic out of the box.
No WDIDLE3. Worked perfectly soft & hard reboot.

I am going through the painful copying programs from an old Tivo HD. I wish there is a much better way than copying to a PC or transfer one by one through the Tivo interface.

This gets old. I complain about this each time I get a new Tivo.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #1759
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
So I just put in a brand new EZRX drive in a Roamio basic out of the box.
No WDIDLE3. Worked perfectly soft & hard reboot.

I am going through the painful copying programs from an old Tivo HD. I wish there is a much better way than copying to a PC or transfer one by one through the Tivo interface.

This gets old. I complain about this each time I get a new Tivo.
The EZRX is not an AV drive, proving that Intellipark doesn't need to be disabled on the Roamio (using the wdidle3.exe tool), regardless of that this would have been a requirement on any model pre-Roamio.

From another thread, here's a direct link, and a copy of my post, which I hope helps you out:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10110611

Two steps to speed up transfers on TiVos pre-dating the Roamio:

1. Tuner Parking: Tune all the tuners to completely non-existent channels (don't use ones that exist, but you just don't have access to, like premiums).

Edit/Add: You can also just disconnect your Coax-in, to the TiVos, and get the same (if not better) effect. IIRC, the results are improved more this way, even more so if the CableCard is also removed.

2. Put the older TiVo(s) into standby mode while the content is being transferred off.

KMTTG has an option built-in to automatically park the tuners during transfers initiated by KMTTG. It can also park them manually by using the "test" button on each TiVo you want parked. It's limited to parking two tuner, though, either way that you set/use it in KMTTG.

The way this works is by stopping Live TV buffering (the tuner parking), and by shutting down all A/V outputs (standby), giving the shared resources of the central processor more to allocate to the networking processes and the transfer-related re-encoding processes.

On a TiVoHD, the difference is night and day. On a Premiere, it still helps, but sometimes may only add an extra 10Mbit/sec to the speed, as opposed to sometimes doubling the transfer speed of a TiVoHD.

Summary: Nothing to lose, and great potential on what can be gained, by doing these two things.

Note: If you don't need the old TiVo(s) to continue recording anything (during the transfers), and still have Season Passes, ARWL Wishlists, or any manual recordings scheduled, you should eliminate them from the ToDo list, to keep the tuners parked.

KMTTG also can back up your Season Passes, and allows you to restore them to any TiVo, in the order they are in. TiVo's online manager for this will often randomly re-organize the SP ordering, and will often drop SPs that don't have any episodes currently in the current guide data. So, I recommend KMTTG, and avoiding the TiVo website-based method (which also tends to corrupt your SPs).
Old 05-21-2014, 03:21 AM   #1760
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

WD AV-GP WD30EURX 3TB - $114.99

Newegg Shell Shocker Deal - Starts At 3:00PM (PDT)
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...7-_-05212014_1

Old 05-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #1761
Sportsnut

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I've been looking to upgrade but prefer to buy from Amazon and have them pricematch this if possible. The link shows the current deal and I can see this is coming at 3 but how did you find the price for this deal?

Do you know how long the shell shocker deals last? If this starts at 6PM Eastern time I'll be coaching my son's baseball game then so I may miss the deal.

Last edited by Sportsnut : 05-21-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #1762
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
Thanks for the info, I've been looking to upgrade but prefer to buy from Amazon and have them pricematch this if possible. The link shows the current deal and I can see this is coming at 3 but how did you find the price for this deal?

Do you know how long the shell shocker deals last? If this starts at 6PM Eastern time I'll be coaching my son's baseball game then so I may miss the deal.
It expires at 5:59 PM PT. If I remember right, you are asked to opt in to their "Shell Shocker Deal Previews" and daily sales after you buy something from them. I imagine you can go on their website and sign up, too.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #1763
Sportsnut

Quote:
It expires at 5:59 PM PT. If I remember right, you are asked to opt in to their "Shell Shocker Deal Previews" and daily sales after you buy something from them. I imagine you can go on their website and sign up, too.
Thanks, that should be enough time to order. I get their daily e-blast deal emails and have bought from them in the past but don't remember seeing that option, though I haven't bought anything from them in a while.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #1764
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

You beat me to sharing the deal. I ordered the max of three. Hopefully some others got to snap some of these up. I just barely got my order placed in time.

I'm going back to AV-GP, partly because of this deal, and partly due to a recent issue that is described over here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517733

It's likely not related to me using WD Red NAS drives. But, I would rather just go back to AV-GP (I hope cloning with DD Rescue will let me change drives without losing everything, since I'm not changing the capacity). TiVo's SMART tests don't play well with my Red NAS, and I have a use for the Red NAS drives, once I can (hopefully) get them re-acquired giving me a total of 5x3TB for a NAS & RAID project.

From the thread, regarding my issues with one base-Roamio, out of three:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
A while back a bunch of lifetime customers got the same message about TiVo Plus service. That message only relates to series 2 units with a DVD that came with free "Basic" service (3 days guide, no TTG).

TiVo was cleaning up their database on those old units and effed up. In most cases a reboot fixed it but the To Do List took a day or two to rebuild properly. Your TDL should fix itself now that the account status is correct. If not, I would perform a Clear Program Info and To Do List to force it to rebuild the guide data from scratch.
I had to try KS57&58, Clear the Program Info & to Do list, repeat KS57&58 (also did a KS54 SMART value check and short test), disconnect the cable coax to the TiVo, disconnect the USB cable to the TA, disconnect the network cable, permanently delete everything in the deleted items folder, delete all my ARWLs, delete any programs related to the ARWLs, then do another clearing (all things possible short of a full C&DE, and nuking all my recordings), hook up the network cable during the second clearing, hook up the coax, power on the TA, wait 5 minutes, connect the USB cable to the TA, then go to sleep, to find all is well the following morning. To keep things accurate, that morning was just a couple hours ago, after staying awake very long trying so many things.

This is the short version of describing it, as was my first post to the OP.

All seems well again, so far.

Just like you seem to be thinking, I was also thinking corrupted guide data and/or databases, etc. It all started off with reboots around the times it would be downloading and installing things during scheduled TiVo service connections.

I just ordered three WD30EURX drives from NewEgg, allowing me to put AV-GP drives in my Roamios, and giving me back the WD Red NAS drives I have been using, to use for computer applications (win-win, since the 3Tb AV-GPs were a NewEgg shellshocker today).

I found it interesting that NewEgg is now designating the AV-GP drives as older models, and the "newer version" link brings you to the WD Purple equivalent.

Any thoughts on the WD Purple, or if NewEgg is right about them being the new models to phase-out the AV-GP EURX drives, like how the EURS was considered the old version, and the EURX the new version?

I know that EURS drives work more than fast enough for all current, and past, TiVo models, making the EURX just a (well we pretty much know what it is).

I don't think the Purple will be bringing anything truly new to the table, unless TiVo starts using the true ATA-streaming features command set. I doubt they ever will, making the Purple just more expensive, and not making the TiVo experience any better.

I did take note that the Purple can have the TLER and other parameters tweaked. Any thoughts on that?

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll probably start a WD Purple thread. Feel free to PM me if you also don't wish to threadjack.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #1765
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

$119.99 NewEgg WD Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache

$119.99 Total cost (See * note at bottom for important info, on my experience, when using these in a TiVo).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-22236344-L0C

Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Extra savings w/ promo code EMCPEHW23, ends 5/26
3 out of 5 eggs (492) | Write a Review
In stock. Limit 5 per customer.

Expanded NAS solutions
Next generation experience-for home or small office network attached storage systems
Premium dedicated 24/7 support line
3 year limited warranty

* These are what I'm currently using. The only issue I can attribute to using these drives, for TiVo use, is that the only base Roamio built-in KS54 SMART tests that will work/complete (for me, on three base Roamios) are reading the values, quick test (2 minute), and conveyance test (5 minutes). The longer tests will go on running for days, without ever indicating completion. If attached to a PC, all the tests will work and verify completion.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #1766
Sportsnut

Quote:
I almost forgot about the deal but was still able to order well after 10 ET. I think the deal was good for the rest of the day since there was no expiration time when I ordered, it just said Today. The price is back up to 135 but I'm sure it will be on sale again for anybody that missed out. That's the lowest price I've seen yet for the 3TB. I tried to get Amazon to pricematch but had no luck there, but it's cheaper there now.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #1767
Sportsnut

Quote:

Thanks for posting. I Installed it this week and it's working great. It was as easy as others have said, just took a little bit of work to get the cover off after taking out the screw.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:20 AM   #1768
mrsean

Has no one gotten their hands on a Weaknees 4TB drive and reverse engineered whatever they did to it to make it work in the Roamio yet?

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:35 AM   #1769
telemark

I built a 4TB image from scratch, not based on WK.

Now in testing phase, the latest news is:
the alignment might get shifted,
whether it can be supersized is under debate,
I'm reducing the size of the installer, assuming it checks out

There's a couple threads in the Upgrade Center:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516898
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517860

And we're going need some additional testers soon.

Last edited by telemark : 05-31-2014 at 03:44 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #1770
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Has no one gotten their hands on a Weaknees 4TB drive and reverse engineered whatever they did to it to make it work in the Roamio yet?
Somebody was trying to sell his reverse engineered WK 4Tb drive information for $20, people on this Forum though that to be immoral to sell somebody's else's work.