TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #1381
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Expanding A Roamio Drive

Does the software tool exist to take a configured Roamio drive, a 1TB, and copy it to a 3TB drive, expanding or whatnot to get the full 3TB?

I'm wondering if the only way to get 3 TB into a Roamio is to essentially start from scratch. Drop in the new drive then re-do all SPs, Wishlists and so on.

Likewise, preserving recordings going from 1TB to 3TB. Can it be done?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #1382
Keen

Nope.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #1383
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Regarding my "Some many consider cloning a Weaknees, or other upgrade vendor's, pre-prepared drive, as stealing" type of post:

I once posted I had successfully used GNU dd_rescue, from the JMFS CD's command line, to clone DVR_DUDE's 2TB upgrades for the Premiere and HD, without issue.

I was then confronted with accusations of theft, and doomsday-type predictions if DVR_DUDE ever found out.

I then posted that I never used the pre-prepared drives I purchased, but instead used the clones, and put the originals on a shelf, for in the event that the clones failed, or became corrupted.

Nobody had anything to say about it after that point. So, I was merely trying to protect the person asking about a dd-type copy of a Weaknees drive (if it "should work") from the same accusations.

It has been brought up (speculated), a few times, in a few threads, that the "legit" vendors may actually pay a license fee, to TiVo, for the privilege to do what they do, without TiVo interfering/suing. Nobody has proven that one way, or the other (that I'm aware of). The only claim I have ever heard, that wasn't challenged, was that the author of "Instant Cake" software (which used a guided menu to run free, open-source software, to create TiVo images from the ground-up, for a fee).

I really don't know if any of that is even possible (or legit), since TiVo runs on a "TiVoized" version of a free Linux distro. "TiVoization" is actually a term you can find on Wikipedia. TiVo took a public/open-license system, and made some of it proprietary, which many view as violating the GNU/open-source/free software initiative, as well as the terms that you agree to by using, and re-distributing, such software. TiVo is, in fact, profiting from the work of those who made the original open-source/free software. But, how are organizations that give away their software for free, going to afford to make TiVo "cease and desist" doing what they do?

I'm barely Linux-experienced enough to do more than things like making a JMFS bootable CD and using the command line for drives it doesn't recognize as a valid TiVo drive (or just going to command line to change the parameters for the GNU dd_rescue it uses, to speed up the transfer speed, when I know I am working with error-free drives). I've tried to read-up on it as best, and as often, as I can. So, please forgive me, or grant me some latitude, if I have mangled the language that applies to Linux-type software in the making of this post. Corrections are welcome, as long as they aren't a variation of calling me an "idiot".
Old 11-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #1384
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Regarding my "Some many consider cloning a Weaknees, or other upgrade vendor's, pre-prepared drive, as stealing" type of post:

I once posted I had successfully used GNU dd_rescue, from the JMFS CD's command line, to clone DVR_DUDE's 2TB upgrades for the Premiere and HD, without issue.

I was then confronted with accusations of theft, and doomsday-type predictions if DVR_DUDE ever found out.
There is nothing proprietary about the Weaknees drive. Is it patented? Copyrighted? The "proprietary-ness" is in the tool they use to create it.

Cloning in no way violates WKs rights or ownership. We may each, in our own way, cobble together a tool to create our own 4TB Roamio-ready drives without violating WKs rights or ownership. Perhaps someone will, and give it away. Would that violate WKs' rights? Nope.

Neither does dd. It's just another tool.

So, unless WKs makes you agree not to clone, reverse engineer or otherwise duplicate their 4TB drives, have at it.

It would be fun to examine the partition map and compare that to a drive prepped by Roamio.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #1385
chrispitude

Possibly of interest:

Western Digital WD Red WD30EFRX 3TB SATA3 3.5" Internal HDD $90 After $30MIR w/ FS @ tigerdirect.com (fatwallet.com)
chrispitude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #1386
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
There is nothing proprietary about the Weaknees drive. Is it patented? Copyrighted? The "proprietary-ness" is in the tool they use to create it.

Cloning in no way violates WKs rights or ownership. We may each, in our own way, cobble together a tool to create our own 4TB Roamio-ready drives without violating WKs rights or ownership. Perhaps someone will, and give it away. Would that violate WKs' rights? Nope.

Neither does dd. It's just another tool.

So, unless WKs makes you agree not to clone, reverse engineer or otherwise duplicate their 4TB drives, have at it.

It would be fun to examine the partition map and compare that to a drive prepped by Roamio.
No disagreement here. Although, it kind of (initially) felt like you were disagreeing with me, I can see it as more of a disagreement with those yelling "theft!", when publicly discussing cloning of "prepped" or "pre-prepared" upgrade drives...

By examining such drives (or backup images, in virtual HDD emulation), you can find out things like DVR_DUDE's 2TB upgrades for pre-Roamio models aren't fully 4K aligned, and a 2TB structure you can clone from a FACTORY Premiere XL4/Elite actually is (and is easily made to download the software for a non-2TB, and/or lesser-tuner model Premiere). I had to pay for the upgrade, just to find out I didn't need to pay for it (and that the advertising for the former was misleading, to say the least)...
Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #1387
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
The price is awesome, but how many hoops do you have to jump through to get the rebate? The last time I played that game it ended up as a $30 rebate that I could collect after signing up for two different web services that I didn't want, and I would get a "gift" card to a certain big-box store about 3 months later.

I'm not questioning the drive, just the deal. I have the 4TB version of that drive and it's a sweetie...
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #1388
jmpage2

Yeah screw those mail in rebates. There will be plenty of deals before Xmas.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #1389
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
The price is awesome, but how many hoops do you have to jump through to get the rebate? The last time I played that game it ended up as a $30 rebate that I could collect after signing up for two different web services that I didn't want, and I would get a "gift" card to a certain big-box store about 3 months later.

I'm not questioning the drive, just the deal. I have the 4TB version of that drive and it's a sweetie...
You apply for the rebate online, and they give you the form to print out and mail in with the UPC. It's pretty painless.
chrispitude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #1390
tsheley

What is the best 2TB drive to use to upgrade with? Thanks!
tsheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #1391
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheley View Post
This one;

http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-Video...igital+av++2tb
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #1392
tsheley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #1393
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Newegg has it for $84.99 with promo code: EMCWWVV28 and free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-22136783-L0G
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #1394
davidahn

I've always been prone to 1) wanting the biggest and the baddest, and 2) never paying full price. So obviously I wanted the 4+4TB setup WK sells, but without paying $1100 for $700 of hardware ($350 for Plus current TiVo deal, $175 x 2 for drives). At this point I see no one reporting success with it, I'm leaning toward getting a Pro and being done with it.

With all the streaming options (Hulu+, Netflix, HBO Go, etc.) plus bittorrent (though recompressed), I see less need for massive storage. Also, I'm considering a 4K PJ, and 4K material would also be outside the TiVo. I really do wonder if I need to be storing 8 TB of my favorite seasons on my own HDs. I don't know if this is sour grapes since I can't have a cheap 8TB solution?
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #1395
andyw715

how many hours is 8TB?
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #1396
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
how many hours is 8TB?
weaKnees says 1280

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #1397
almighty
Lost in the sticks..

I've got a new Roamio arriving tomorrow to replace a dead Premiere. But I am going to want to upgrade the Plus' 1TB to 2 or 3. I've tried to read as much of this long thread as I can, but running out of time to order a drive if I need to prior to booting the Roamio up first time.

I can deal with having to re-pair CC, re-setup the Tivo from scratch down the road, if that is the only hiccup. Is there anything else that would compel me to get the new drive today to arrive tomorrow with the Tivo?

thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #1398
atmuscarella

If anyone is really interested Weakness has sent out an email with black Friday codes in it (they are good now).
  1. Roamio Plus duel 4TB drives $900 use code RPLUS8
  2. Roamio Plus single 4TB drive $600 use code RPLUS4
  3. Roamio Plus 3TB drive $490 use code RPLUS3
  4. Roamio Plus $350 use code RPLUS
  5. Base Roamio dual 4TB drives $800 use code ROAMIO8
  6. Base Roamio single 4TB drive $500 use code ROAMIO4
  7. Base Roamio single 2TB drive $300 use code ROAMIO

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #1399
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheley View Post
If the Roamio does 3 TB internally 'plug and play' just fine, why wouldn't you use the 3 TB?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #1400
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If the Roamio does 3 TB internally 'plug and play' just fine, why wouldn't you use the 3 TB?
Could be like me, already having multiple cases of different model 2TB drives, but unlike me, not knowing if there's any reason to use one over the other two models.

Somehow I doubt that is the case. But, it is a possible scenario. Not everybody asking drive questions necessarily is drive-less, and/or able to afford 3TB, at the moment.

I stocked up on 2TB drives, of several varieties, as each of them hit hard-to-pass-up prices, having no idea that I'd not find myself wishing I hadn't.

I long for the days when it was super-easy to take a situation like mine, and just make raid-arrays, with excess drives, before the drive makers started sabotaging the firmware of non-raid-rated drives... Then I wouldn't get angry every time I see a sale on 3TB drives, but remember I sank my money into 2TB ones. This is why my new Roamios will have to live with 2TB each.

I didn't know the Roamio's specs when back when buying the drives, nor after the Roamio launch did I know I'd find any reasons to get any Roamios, nor did I know the demand/selling prices of Premieres would take such an epic hit.

Now, after the last Premiere update, I mostly figure if I'm going to get bombarded by ads, regardless of if I upgrade, or not, I might as well get my ads on a faster platform, that actually has any semblance of TiVo providing support and bug-fixes for. The extras and potential future extras are just a bonus.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-22-2013 at 10:33 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #1401
tomm1079

i have a unused 3 TB red.

Any reason to not use that in a plus?
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #1402
jmbach

Nope
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #1403
Tanquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
Upgrade your Roamio with a new drive. No discs needed.

What you need:
T8 Screw driver
T10 Screw Driver
New Hard Drive

Can someone update the OP, took me a few minutes to get to the top? (No, that is not what she said.)

It’s:
One T-9 screw center at the back.
ThreeT-10 screws on the top of the drive bracket.
Four T-15 screws on the brackets that mount to the side of the drive.

No screws in the SATA/Power connection.

Opening to the top is, lift center back just a bit and pinch the left or right sides in to release the (six total) three tabs on each side. The top is pretty flexible and has a lip that covers the back and sides so you can lift the center back and then push one side lip and then the other. No sliding forward, kinda roll forward as you release the tabs back to front. The very front kind of hangs on until you get the last set of tabs off.

Thanks for the info. Now running a WD RED 2.7TB drive. I setup the drive it came with first and the new one worked fine. I had a 3.6TB WD RED on hand but it just loops the setup.

Last edited by Tanquen : 11-25-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #1404
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink View Post
FWIW, the last AV drive I bought was probably 2 years ago. The 3TB Red drive I put in my Roamio Basic is quieter than the 3TB AV drive in the TiVoHD it replaced...
You were successful in getting an S3 HD to even boot from a 3TB drive?

Are you sure it wasn't only a 2TB?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #1405
tsheley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Just looking to save money where I can.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #1406
yukit

So what is the best 3TB (green or red) drive deal right now? I could use one or two drives.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1407
yukit

Newegg extra 5% for the next 4 hours or so

I picked up a few drives from Newegg with this code: MBLBF5 to give 5% discount.

You must use Newegg mobile app to qualify.

Not sure how strict they are with the timed promo.

Good luck & happy shopping.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #1408
thewebgal

Another satisfied customer!

Ordered a Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower HDD drive from NewEgg on Weds morning.
Printed the Amazon $149 price a bit later & dropped by BestBuy Weds after work -
did the price match and got a base Roamio with the $50 gift card ... What a great deal!

Had a great Thanksgiving yesterday ...

Hard drive arrived this morning, easy enough to swap it in place of the 500 GB drive.
Swapped the connectors in my HT rack - took about 20 minutes for Guided Setup -
slipped in the FIOS CableCard midway then maybe another 20 minutes for a Service Update.
Used Tivo.com to copy my (30) Season Passes from the old TivoHD to the Roamio.
Did have to sort them to put them back into order - but not having to recreate them from scratch is great!
Checked out StreamBaby and its working great (Streams stuff from my MacPro upstairs down to the Roamio).
Got kmttg installed yesterday evening but I'll have to play with that a bit to copy our old shows over -
we do have some shows on the TivoHD that are more than a year old back when we had COX CATV!

I do have some more configuring to do with the new remote,
but so far, you folks here saved me a ton of money and a ton of trouble,
and made upgrading to the latest, greatest TIVO quite a wonderful experience ...

THANKS AGAIN!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIVO1_7897.jpg (82.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg TIVO2_7902.jpg (39.7 KB, 325 views)

Last edited by thewebgal : 11-29-2013 at 02:57 PM.
thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #1409
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebgal View Post
Another satisfied customer!

Ordered a Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower HDD drive from NewEgg on Weds morning.
Printed the Amazon $149 price a bit later & dropped by BestBuy Weds after work -
did the price match and got a base Roamio with the $50 gift card ... What a great deal!
I thought the Roamio base model was not capable of accepting a 3TB drive...
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #1410
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post

I thought the Roamio base model was not capable of accepting a 3TB drive...
Yes, it can. That's the max all the roamios can take without having Weaknees finagle with the larger drives to get them to work.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote