TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #961
ncbill

Kudos to WK for their 7TB Roamio - hope they can verify that config is stable.

A 7TB Tivo would make a heck of a home media server...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #962
morac
Cat God

I don't fault WK for selling the 7 TB upgrade kit, but I don't see how they can, in good conscious, sell a Roamio 2 and 3 TB upgrade kit, when basically they are just selling a blank drive over cost.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #963
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I don't fault WK for selling the 7 TB upgrade kit, but I don't see how they can, in good conscious, sell a Roamio 2 and 3 TB upgrade kit, when basically they are just selling a blank drive over cost.
Well they do offer 180 warranty on them. Which is more than you'd get if you void the TiVo one by opening up the box (all arguments set aside on Tivo and their supposed stance on this matter).
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #964
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Kudos to WK for their 7TB Roamio - hope they can verify that config is stable.

A 7TB Tivo would make a heck of a home media server...
until someone in your house knocks out the esata cable of the external drive, or the external drive dies, then everything is gone.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #965
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Yeah I was speaking in the point of view of the difficulty of an internal 4TB + drive.

When you plug in the eSATA, it effectively becomes one big drive, and the TiVo can manage it without having to do anything.

So If I have a Roamio Pro + 1TB extender. I have a RAID 0 or JBOD volume that is accessible as a 4TB drive.

The question is, as far as the O/S is concerned. What is the difference between an internal 4TB drive and an internal 3TB + 1TB extender?
The Linux operating system treats every partition as a separate logical drive. When the TiVo proprietary MFS file system kicks in it starts treating 4 or more "drives" as one big file system.

A two drive system (3+1 or 3+4) lets you add more partitions on the 2nd physical drive and the Apple Partition Map on that drive starts over again at zero.

It's not a true RAID 0 because the data isn't striped across all drives simultaneously, but since you can't know where it actually lives the effect is similar. A particular recording may be all on one drive, all on the other drive, or scattered across both.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #966
TC25D

Quote:
'...in good conscious...'? Why? They're offering a product for people who are willing to pay someone else to get the drive and install it.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #967
jmpage2

Quote:
Good conscience (is what I think you meant)?

They are offering a service. They are installing the drives, testing things out and offering you tech support and a warranty option if there is a problem.

Sounds to me like they are getting paid for services rendered.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #968
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Good conscience (is what I think you meant)?

They are offering a service. They are installing the drives, testing things out and offering you tech support and a warranty option if there is a problem.

Sounds to me like they are getting paid for services rendered.
Are you sure the upgrade kits aren't self installs? They were back when I had my S2.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #969
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Are you sure the upgrade kits aren't self installs? They were back when I had my S2.
I think people are confusing that they sell BOTH of the following:

DIY Kits, which include a drive, whatever tools (torx drivers), needed to install the drive, and instructions on how to do it.

AS WELL AS offering to do it for you AT AN ADDITIONAL COST.

Some people haven't a clue how to even do the slightest bit of DIY work on electronics, and/or are scared to death that they'll break the device. I'm the exact opposite of this, but I would be in the minority, if I were to take a poll of my zip code (which is a very well-educated guess).

I was just on Weaknees website, and see that the markup on the DIY Kits are ridiculous. I guess they are counting on the uneducated masses that don't know any better. If people did know the facts, and were DIY types, they would just buy a drive, and a cheap multi-bit driver that comes with torx bits, or just individual drivers of the sizes they need. You don't need a quality torx driver/bit to upgrade a TiVo. I've broken plenty of cheap tools, under normal to moderately heavy use (on CARS), but the only time I've broken a torx bit off is on a rusted car fastener (should have used my Craftsman set, instead of the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight Tools).

FYI, for all, Harbor Freight tools sells a 100pc "Security Bit Set", which has 97 bits, including tamper-resistant torx bits, which will work on regular torx fasteners, for $19.99 full-price, $9.99 sale price, and they often have 20% off coupons in their sale flyers. As long as you only use them on indoor home electronics, they should never fail. If you are lucky enough to have a retail outlet store in your area, they DO have a LIFETIME warranty on all hand tools, and they do include driver bits under it, with FREE REPLACEMENT.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #970
jmpage2

Quote:
Even if it is a kit they are doing the development work and warrantee the solution. They deserve to turn a profit if they are doing that.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #971
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Even if it is a kit they are doing the development work and warrantee the solution. They deserve to turn a profit if they are doing that.
While I don't disagree with the general statement, I feel that the costs of shipping a whole TiVo, or even a drive kit, back and forth, eat away at the added value of their warranty. Also, since you can drop in a retail or OEM bulk drive, which has a warranty from the drive manufacturer included in the price of the drive, it's still a lot of markup. If it wasn't determined that the drives from TiVo ship blank, and practically any up-to-3TB drive will work, I wouldn't even be posting this.

I do fully agree that they do deserve to make some money due to the fact that they are always the leaders in doing the initial R&D. I feel the markup is excessive, based solely on that they are shipping you a blank drive. That's all. Maybe they test the drives in some sort of burn-in testing before they ship them, but I don't see any claim of that on their website.

I'd be happy to sell people a blank drive, a couple cheap torx drivers, and an instruction sheet, at those prices. I could offer a warranty, make you pay all the shipping, and if the drive goes bad, I send you another one, and RMA the bad one back to the source. How can I lose?

Last edited by nooneuknow : 09-06-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: typo
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #972
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I was just on Weaknees website, and see that the markup on the DIY Kits are ridiculous. I guess they are counting on the uneducated masses that don't know any better. If people did know the facts, and were DIY types, they would just buy a drive, and a cheap multi-bit driver that comes with torx bits, or just individual drivers of the sizes they need.
Good grief, what an assumption, that only 'the uneducated masses that don't know any better' could find value in what Weaknees offers.

Quote:
I feel the markup is excessive, based solely on that they are shipping you a blank drive.

I'd be happy to sell people a blank drive, a couple cheap torx drivers, and an instruction sheet, at those prices. I could offer a warranty, make you pay all the shipping, and if the drive goes bad, I send you another one, and RMA the bad one back to the source. How can I lose?
Since you believe their 'markup is excessive' and 'you can't lose', then why don't you start doing this? Of course, you might have to work on your customer service skills by never telling your customers you consider them 'uneducated masses'.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #973
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Neither of those drives is optimized for DVR use. They are desktop drives, which means that they might run hotter as well as have power management features that mess with TiVo.

It very well might work, but if the drive runs noticeably warmer than what TiVo uses (Seagate or WD drives optimized for DVR use) then it could potentially cause some kind of issue somewhere down the line.

Or, it could work fine for years. I replaced drives in two of my old TiVo HD units with Samsung Spinpoint desktop hard drives. One worked fine for 3 years, the other one had a bad drive in 18 months.

Caveat Emptor.
Hmmmm.... thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide on instant gratification and taking my chances or placing an order on Amazon for an AV drive. I wish Best Buy carried a larger selection of drives as I'd really like to pick one up after work today.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #974
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
Good grief, what an assumption, that only 'the uneducated masses that don't know any better' could find value in what Weaknees offers.
You know what I meant. "Uneducated", when it comes to all the education right here, as well as that many don't even find themselves here, unless they have a problem, and Google, or any other search engine, leads them here, in their search for answers, or a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
Since you believe their 'markup is excessive' and 'you can't lose', then why don't you start doing this? Of course, you might have to work on your customer service skills by never telling your customers you consider them 'uneducated masses'.
Who's being the smartazz now? You picked a post that I was being straightforward with, without crapping on anybody, which I thought through and reviewed/edited before posting it. Others have used far more harsh ways/words to describe those who don't have the knowledge/skills for DIY, or who don't do their research, and drop extra money on something they assume they need, when they may not have needed to spend the extra money.

I only stay out of the biz, due to the inevitable others who will also soon be offering the same thing, for the same target demographic, and because I do have a conscience, which overrides the desire to buy a drive, a couple cheap tools, and make a huge profit, off people who simply don't know nothing special has been done to the drive.

How about you just find the "Ignore User" function, and add me to it, since you always have some issue you can find with anything I post?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #975
Rkkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Hmmmm.... thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide on instant gratification and taking my chances or placing an order on Amazon for an AV drive. I wish Best Buy carried a larger selection of drives as I'd really like to pick one up after work today.

I have had non AV HD's in my TiVo HD and Premier for years. Someone just posted a Green vs AV comparison thread here yesterday and the actual differences are minimal. I think the biggest being the warranty.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #976
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Just my OPINION, based on what I know, and also based on the reports that I've been closely following on here:

1. Don't get a 7200RPM, or otherwise high-performance, drive. They draw extra power, could strain the power supply, and could also cause excessive temperatures inside the TiVo, due to the extra heat (and TiVos still don't require high-performance drives, nor will they improve the performance).

2. The preferred drives are in this order:

a: Green (low power, low heat, low RPM) AV-rated drives (even though some have used non-AV drives in Roamios at this point). Unless TiVo begins using the AV ATA streaming feature command set, it's a feature that is more strategic marketing, than a necessity.

b: WD Red NAS drives (which are not AV-rated), but meet the criteria as option (a), less the AV-rating, but approved by the manufacturer for 24/7 use (even though ALL modern hard drives are designed to be able to operate 24/7, just not all are marketed as such).

c: An ordinary Green drive, as described in (a), but are not AV-rated, or marketed as a 24/7 drive (key words in all of my advice are "marketed" and "marketing").

The AV and the NAS drives generally have a longer warranty, if that matters to you. If you are worried that using a drive not marketed for AV or DVR use will somehow void the drive warranty, don't be. You get the same warranty, no matter what application you use a drive for.

The cost differences have become so negligible at this point, that the safest thing to do would be to use a WD AV-GP drive, model WD30EURS (for 3TB), since TiVo has been factory installing this exact model series (WD__EURS), in past and present models. When it comes down to a $10 difference to get an AV drive, versus non-AV, most are spending the extra, for peace of mind (and/or a longer warranty). In the past, the price difference was so huge, most went with non-AV (since it was never a requirement). So far, it SEEMS like it isn't a requirement, for the Roamio. But, you never know what the next software update might change... Like, when they get the out of house streaming working, maybe they will call upon streaming functions, present only in AV-rated drives. Or, it's possible that feature of the AV drives will not be seen in action, until the next product, or even never...

Given the recent data provided by the author of DVRBARS, on how little has actually changed about the basics of the filesystem/partition structure, I wouldn't think TiVo could just switch on the AV functions of an AV drive, with a software update. BUT, if they have made the flash memory/BIOS remotely programmable, then I would start to wonder what they could enable. The product hasn't been out long enough for anybody to figure all these things out yet.

Hope this helps (somebody at least).
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #977
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Just my OPINION, based on what I know, and also based on the reports that I've been closely following on here:
<clip>
Hope this helps (somebody at least).
That's good information. I'll have to look at the best buy drives I'm considering and see where they fit in. Price isn't an issue for me, it's more local availability.

Thanks!

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
Old 09-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #978
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I have had non AV HD's in my TiVo HD and Premier for years. Someone just posted a Green vs AV comparison thread here yesterday and the actual differences are minimal. I think the biggest being the warranty.
+1 I'm still running non-AV WD Green drives in most of my Premieres and TiVo HDs, as well.

I bought a case of WD20EURS 2TB AV-GP drives when Newegg had a sale a while back, but rethought using them, after seeing many reports of reduced performance, and a mix of other issues with them, here, and on other sites (when used in original model Premieres and HDs).

So, my WD20EADS drives will stay in use, until I see any signs of drive degradation, or imminent failure. Some are very close to outlasting their warranties.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #979
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Am I to understand that if the description of the drive doesn't state red/green etc then it doesn't fall into that type? I'm not sure if I should go with this drive or not based on what I'm reading on WD's website.

I may need to take a trip to best buy and see if they have any drives that fit the bill.

Retired
Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #980
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
That's good information. I'll have to look at the best buy drives I'm considering and see where they fit in. Price isn't an issue for me, it's more local availability.

Thanks!
Thanks, no problem. One additional thought:

You may notice more WD_____X drives now, than the ones that end in "S".

The difference is that X's are SATA3, as opposed to SATA2 (a faster drive to host communication speed, which a TiVo won't benefit from).

The newer X ones are supposed to be completely backwards compatible, and sometimes are on sale for what the older ones go for. There shouldn't be any issue with using one. (If I'm wrong about this, I invite somebody to let me know, please).
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #981
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Am I to understand that if the description of the drive doesn't state red/green etc then it doesn't fall into that type? I'm not sure if I should go with this drive or not based on what I'm reading on WD's website.

I may need to take a trip to best buy and see if they have any drives that fit the bill.
I just checked that link. You are correct. That would not be an ideal drive, or recommended. You should avoid "mainstream" desktop drives.

Generally, the Green drives come in Green boxes, and say Green all over the place. The Red NAS drives will also specify what they are. Both should be available at Best Buy, especially the Green ones. I don't think I've ever seen a Green AV (AV-GP) drive at Best Buy, except for the ones that come inside the special DVR expander external drives.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #982
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
I just checked that link. You are correct. That would not be an ideal drive, or recommended. You should avoid "mainstream" desktop drives.

Generally, the Green drives come in Green boxes, and say Green all over the place. The Red NAS drives will also specify what they are. Both should be available at Best Buy, especially the Green ones. I don't think I've ever seen a Green AV (AV-GP) drive at Best Buy, except for the ones that come inside the special DVR expander external drives.
I can't find anything on their website so I will head over after work and see. Thanks for the additional information. It's very helpful.

Retired
Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #983
vurbano

I didnt even have to remove the drive brackets and HD from the unit in my plus. Some fingers holding the dirve and the small torx driver was able to turn the screws that attach the drive to the bracket in place.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #984
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
I can't find anything on their website so I will head over after work and see. Thanks for the additional information. It's very helpful.
Actually may stop and buy this one today at microcenter

Retired
Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #985
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Ok, you found the 3TB Green non-AV with SATA3. That should work. The only thing missing is the AV-rating, which as you already know, will likely not be an issue, since others have tried non-AV already.

You will very likely have to use the wdidle3.exe utility to disable auto head parking (Intellipark). Search around the other threads about how to use it, and why you may need to (requires using a PC and a making a boot CD to disable, before installing in the TiVo).

This is another thing I might have mentioned (if I had remembered) in my earlier help, since the AV-GP drives come with it disabled already, making it less work, and more certain instant gratification (drop in TiVo and GO).
Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #986
TC25D

Quote:
You picked a post that I was being straightforward with, without crapping on anybody...
You 'crapped on' Weaknees by accusing them of not having a conscience based on the price of their upgraded devices and kits.

Other people, who don't have you on their ignore list, will see this and could come to the conclusion they are a disreputable company to do business with, which they are not.

I am grateful there are two options with the Roamio; a DIY option, for those who feel comfortable opening up the case and an 'off the shelf' option from Weakness for those who do not.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #987
swerver

The amount saved by diy'ing a hdd upgrade vs. weaknees service is about about $30-50. The cost of a new lifetimed tivo is $600-1000. Most people spending that kind of money won't mind that quite negligible difference considering the large overall price, in fact they'll appreciate it. This is because most people don't want to go anywhere near the inside of a tivo. Weaknees is for them. If you wanna diy (for the record I upgraded my premiere myself and plan to do my roamio plus eventually) then go ahead. Who cares what other people want to do?
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #988
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, you found the 3TB Green non-AV with SATA3. That should work. The only thing missing is the AV-rating, which as you already know, will likely not be an issue, since others have tried non-AV already.

You will very likely have to use the wdidle3.exe utility to disable auto head parking (Intellipark). Search around the other threads about how to use it, and why you may need to (requires using a PC and a making a boot CD to disable, before installing in the TiVo).

This is another thing I might have mentioned (if I had remembered) in my earlier help, since the AV-GP drives come with it disabled already, making it less work, and more certain instant gratification (drop in TiVo and GO).
Will I for sure have to do this? I've never read about this before your post. Sounds like it could be a hassle.

Retired
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #989
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
These are the Only Drives I would use, just order one from Amazon and be done with it.

WD AV-GP 3TB AV Video Hard Drive - WD30EURS

WD AV-GP 2TB AV Video Hard Drive - WD20EURS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #990
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
These are the Only Drives I would use, just order one from Amazon and be done with it.

WD AV-GP 3TB AV Video Hard Drive - WD30EURS

WD AV-GP 2TB AV Video Hard Drive - WD20EURS
The problem is I want it today

Retired