TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #811
Rkkeller

HELP, I can't get the top off !!!! I have my new Roamio and removed the 2 screws it said too, but my top will not slide off.

Any ideas?? I can see it is loose, but I am not sure where to press and hold to move it.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #812
elwaylite

All you have to remove for the screws is ONE above the esata port.

All I did is start at the center back of the lid and work my nails/fingers in there, and then slowly slide them out to the ends on the back side, then around the sides. The very front is one little lip that goes in, the sides and back have the simple plastic clips you have to make pop loose. Reminds me of removing dash pieces in a car or door panels. You think you are going to break it, but you arent, you just have to work in at one spot then slowly work around popping the other clips loose.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #813
Rkkeller

OK thanks. I was worried it would break. I see its coming.

Thanks.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #814
bob61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I bet with the OS on flash this thing must run so good! OK you sold me on it now!
Seems like the biggest problem with Tivo's going bad is the hard drive. By going this route Tivo has made repairs for a bad hard drive a simple fix. Nice!
bob61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #815
bob61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Does anyone know if CableCard pairing information survives the installation of a new hard drive? Or does the host ID change when the new drive is configured?

In other words, should I wait for my new hard drive before making the CableCard pairing call? The call is sufficiently unpleasant that I don't want to make it more than once.
In the past I installed a larger hard drive in my Tivo and had no problem with the cable card pairing.
bob61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #816
jlin

Is WD30EFRX WD Red drives suitable or Roamio?
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #817
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
In the past I installed a larger hard drive in my Tivo and had no problem with the cable card pairing.
That is because you used tools to copy the content of your origional drive to the larger drive - all the settings came along for the ride.

Now you just slap a new drive in the TiVo and it takes care of the formatting for you - but has now way a preserving either your content or settings.

A member is looking to expand the tools to handle the copy proces for the Roamio line - but even he admits it won't be used very often.

But for those that want to easily maintain an existing library during an upgrade, it will be a huge benifit.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #818
bunjicat

I have upgraded a base Roamio with a 1tb seagate 7200 rpm drive I had laying around. Works great. For those who have upgraded the base Roamio, is the case (above where the drive is located) warm to the touch? Just want to get a baseline for heat and this drive.

Thanks
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #819
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjicat View Post
I have upgraded a base Roamio with a 1tb seagate 7200 rpm drive I had laying around. Works great. For those who have upgraded the base Roamio, is the case (above where the drive is located) warm to the touch? Just want to get a baseline for heat and this drive.

Thanks
Slightly warm but seems pretty normal for a drive that's right under the casing.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #820
bunjicat

Thats what I wanted to hear. Do you have stock drive or something else?
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #821
consumedsoul

Quote:
Thats what I wanted to hear. Do you have stock drive or something else?
WD20EURS
Old 08-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #822
Crrink

Quote:

Thanks
Mine was with the stock drive - temps here from earlier in the thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...12#post9783612

"My unmodified Roamio basic is noticeably warm to the touch on the top case, above the hard drive.
Using a decent IR thermometer I get measurements in the mid 80F range along the top cover, and if I measure at the vents on the side the HDD is on I get a max of around 105F.
My MBT reading is 44C, ambient room temp is about 75F."
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #823
Crrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
Is WD30EFRX WD Red drives suitable or Roamio?
I put one in my Roamio basic, and so far so good.
I've been transferring shows for the last couple of days, so haven't been able to do any warm/cold boot testing to see if wdidle needs to be run or not.
The drive is the quietest drive I've ever heard...or not heard, I suppose. Can't hear any seeking noise the way I can with the 2 year old 2Tb WD AV-GP drive I have in the TiVo HD I'm replacing.

I think it's safest to replace with a Green drive, but the small amount of research I quickly did indicated that a Red drive would be fine in a DVR, and so far, I'm glad I saved the $20 by going with one.

YMMV, of course.

Edit: I just tried a warm and cold reboot - no problems, so I think my Red drive is all good!

Last edited by Crrink : 08-31-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #824
fungflex

Got to say, that was the easiest hard drive upgrade I have ever done on a device like this. I yanked a 3TB WD Green (EZRX) I had in another computer. I didn't even format or wipe out the hard drive.

Installed it before turning it on for the first time, plugged everything in, and powered it up for the first time and it took a couple minutes and I am now showing 450+ hours of HD recording on my Roamio Plus.

Not sure how normal people even bother dealing with TiVo without TivoCommunity.

These forums helped me find one in stock at the best price, upgrade the hard drive quickly and easily, and identify before the TiVo arrived that my cablecard from FIOS was going to cause issues and should be swapped out for a newer part number.

Now for me to finish running around my house doing guided setups on a Roamio Plus (Pro) and three tivo Minis
fungflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #825
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungflex View Post
Got to say, that was the easiest hard drive upgrade I have ever done on a device like this. I yanked a 3TB WD Green (EZRX) I had in another computer. I didn't even format or wipe out the hard drive.

Installed it before turning it on for the first time, plugged everything in, and powered it up for the first time and it took a couple minutes and I am now showing 450+ hours of HD recording on my Roamio Plus.

Not sure how normal people even bother dealing with TiVo without TivoCommunity.

These forums helped me find one in stock at the best price, upgrade the hard drive quickly and easily, and identify before the TiVo arrived that my cablecard from FIOS was going to cause issues and should be swapped out for a newer part number.

Now for me to finish running around my house doing guided setups on a Roamio Plus (Pro) and three tivo Minis
They did an awesome job this time even if it was more for their benefit than ours. Both sides win.

Nice to know that you don't necessarily have to wipe the drive first.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #826
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
Odd, I did not lose any feet but have been seeing people dealing with that.

There ya go

I just watched the youtube video that was linked to in this thread that shows this same information - 316 HD hours or 2174 SD hours.
When I upgraded my Premiere to 2TB, it showed 317 HD hours, which is in line with the Roamio with 2TB, but my Premiere showed 2779 SD hours which is 600 more than the Roamio. Why would there be such a significant difference?

(disregard the colored underlines)
Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #827
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I just watched the youtube video that was linked to in this thread that shows this same information - 316 HD hours or 2174 SD hours.
When I upgraded my Premiere to 2TB, it showed 317 HD hours, which is in line with the Roamio with 2TB, but my Premiere showed 2779 SD hours which is 600 more than the Roamio. Why would there be such a significant difference?

(disregard the colored underlines)
Probably due to analog support in the Premiere. With analog you could change the quality of the recording which would reduce the size on lower quality settings, but with digital you record exactly as it comes in so the variable is more precise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #828
aaronwt
HD Addict

It's all just an estimate anyway.

If I set up a few hundred recordings from the H.264 channels on FiOS I would be able to store alot more hours of HD than it shows in the Sys info screen since H.264 recordings take up less space than MPEG2 recordings.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #829
P42

A theory on why 4TB drives are not working:
The basic flash boot drive, which is sufficient to get the Tivo booted and talking with the mothership, does a check for drive size "if greater than X, and smaller then Y, then download image, else fail" (where X=500 and Y=3000).

I don't recall 3TB being a limit for any particular OSes or partitioning scheme (yes I know Tivo is to it own in this arena), or a hardware limit, but rather Tivo don't want someone selling something they are not. I suspect that if Tivo offers a Pro+ with a large HDD, that that will become the new upper limit.

Just a theory, and a large guess, and as valuable/useless as anyone else's
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #830
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
The basic flash boot drive, which is sufficient to get the Tivo booted and talking with the mothership, does a check for drive size "if greater than X, and smaller then Y, then download image, else fail" (where X=500 and Y=3000).

I don't recall 3TB being a limit for any particular OSes or partitioning scheme (yes I know Tivo is to it own in this arena), or a hardware limit, but rather Tivo don't want someone selling something they are not. I suspect that if Tivo offers a Pro+ with a large HDD, that that will become the new upper limit.

I'd guess that someone (somewhere) used "long int" instead of "long unsigned int" in one subroutine, but that's just another WAG. 3TB is indeed a weird number.

The Apple Partition Map that they use puts a max of 2TB on any single drive but they have obviously beaten that limit. I don't know how yet, but I'll find out eventually.

If I had to go WAY out on a limb and play Kreskin, I think the next update will support 4TB drives.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #831
Series3Sub

I would LOVE it if someone could post a video on YouTube of showing us how to remove and replace the cover on the Roamio. Thanks.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #832
Series3Sub

I think it really think the 3TB limit is more to do with reliability. The density required even for 3TB is getting pretty tight, and the additional HEAT may be an additional issue and this device is to be located in a home with kids or others occasionally moving jostling it and such, and it doesn't take much to errors on such a highly dense HOME consumer product that is NOT designed for laptops. It may be that TiVo just doesn't want to go that close to the edge or beyond the envelop they fell comfortable with for having a sufficiently reliable device. I don't think the really care of Weeknees sells a 4TB TiVo, overall, because others selling larger drives for TiVo's have always been the case.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #833
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
I think it really think the 3TB limit is more to do with reliability. The density required even for 3TB is getting pretty tight, and the additional HEAT may be an additional issue and this device is to be located in a home with kids or others occasionally moving jostling it and such, and it doesn't take much to errors on such a highly dense HOME consumer product that is NOT designed for laptops. It may be that TiVo just doesn't want to go that close to the edge or beyond the envelop they fell comfortable with for having a sufficiently reliable device. I don't think the really care of Weeknees sells a 4TB TiVo, overall, because others selling larger drives for TiVo's have always been the case.
Whether 3TB or 4TB the drive should be using 1TB platters. If the 3TB drive is not and is using four platters to achieve 3TB, then all the more reason why 4TB is no issue. Seagate has the 4TB, 5900rpm drives which uses four platters. It's really only a matter of time until WD comes out with their own. Heck 5TB and 6TB drives are supposed to start coming out soon. Although not for consumer use.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #834
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I'd guess that someone (somewhere) used "long int" instead of "long unsigned int" in one subroutine, but that's just another WAG. 3TB is indeed a weird number.

The Apple Partition Map that they use puts a max of 2TB on any single drive but they have obviously beaten that limit. I don't know how yet, but I'll find out eventually.

If I had to go WAY out on a limb and play Kreskin, I think the next update will support 4TB drives.
Well, if their official product only comes in a 3 TB flavor, and the hard drive reports 4, it thinks something must be wrong with the hard drive. I mean, no one is supposed to open the box, right?
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #835
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post

I don't think it's stub code. I think it's the actual OS. Has anyone tried this without an Internet connection to see what happens?
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #836
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
I don't think it's stub code. I think it's the actual OS. Has anyone tried this without an Internet connection to see what happens?
It is a fixed stub code as I first used and fully set up the 1Tb drive that came with the Plus, then put in a 2Tb drive, the software had already been upgraded to the newest, it would have been in the flash, but the Plus did the full upgrade again, so I will go out on a limb and say the flash holds only the ability to format a new drive and put software on this new drive to run the remote, and all three internet connections, after the internet connection is made the first thing the Plus does is upgrade the TiVo with software (the newest) then starts the guided setup again, after some re-boots. You can still do a C&D all on the drive, then the setup mode does not try to upgrade again.
I will get a 2nd Plus next Friday and will try putting the 1Tb drive from the first Plus into the 2nd Plus and see what happens, I will guess that the unit will boot with an error like past TiVos did and then I will do a C&D all and see if the setup works without any software upgrades.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #837
cncb

In general is there any warning from the Tivo that a hard drive might be going bad such that you would have time to transfer recordings somewhere else to put back on later?
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #838
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post
We are over the air only and the picture is fantastic!

For the cable stuff we miss, we purchase season passes on iTunes and play them through an Apple TV. This works very well and saves us quite a bit of money each year.

Happy to be a cord cutter!

As this new drive gets some use, I will sure post if there are any issues.
This is me. Antenna only. I wrote about my move to an antenna, and the troubles I had with interference in my walls if someone cares to read about that, the story is here.

Looking forward to this box, because my Premiere is dog slow, as y'all well know. I currently have two Premiere units. Both unmodified, although one of them has lifetime, and the other has a grandfathered annual subscription on it. The latter was one I got from a friend who didn't want it anymore, and I took it off his hands for $40, which also got me 7 months of service, as he just "wanted it gone".

Ultimately what I'd want is to have two Roamios (both basic due to antenna only), but I'm also broke, and I can probably sell the lifetime premiere to cover the cost of the service for a lifetime Roamio, but I'll still have to buy the box, and money is super tight now. I'm assuming selling the Premiere with annual service won't get me much of anything. The one with annual service I considered replacing with a Mini, but that requires hardwired internet, and there's no internet cable to the room where this box would live, so it has to be wireless.

This thread (which I read all of from start to this post) makes me want to for the first time ever tinker with my box. I've been a TiVo owner since 2000, and my original Series 1 box way back when. Been through almost every major model since then, but I've always been afraid of bricking them, so I've never bothered. This however is a revelation in upgrading.

Someone else in here made a request for a Youtube video showing getting the case off a Roamio. I'd like to see that myself to be honest.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #839
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's all just an estimate anyway.

If I set up a few hundred recordings from the H.264 channels on FiOS I would be able to store alot more hours of HD than it shows in the Sys info screen since H.264 recordings take up less space than MPEG2 recordings.
A double edged sword. It does take up less space than MPEG2, but the Stream will not play nice with H.264 content. Only MPEG2.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #840
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
All you have to remove for the screws is ONE above the esata port.

All I did is start at the center back of the lid and work my nails/fingers in there, and then slowly slide them out to the ends on the back side, then around the sides. The very front is one little lip that goes in, the sides and back have the simple plastic clips you have to make pop loose. Reminds me of removing dash pieces in a car or door panels. You think you are going to break it, but you arent, you just have to work in at one spot then slowly work around popping the other clips loose.
How about a YouTube video of the procedure?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote