TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #691
sterfry

Just another data point.

I have a TiVo Roamio. I replaced the 500GB Seagate Pipeline drive with a Western Digital AV-GP 2TB with no issues so far. Roamio has been successfully setup, recorded shows and transferred shows from a Premiere XL.
sterfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #692
shoeboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
I agree - the 2 screws that hold the top on were different lengths, too, but on mine, the T8 worked on both.
My base Roamio had one T10 screw and one T8 on the back, not that it matters.
shoeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #693
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
My base Roamio had one T10 screw and one T8 on the back, not that it matters.
I stand corrected.

On the Roamio Basic, the screw above the HDMI port is a T10 while the screw above the eSATA port is a T8.

The T8 worked in both because the screws go into plastic and don't need to be all that tight.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #694
aaronwt
HD Addict

So does the Plus and Pro have two sizes of Torx screws? That has always been the case with previous TiVos.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #695
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
I replaced the drive in my Roamio last night. Both screws at the top of the back of the unit are, actually, T8.

See picture in post #144.
Only the top center screw needs to be removed. The other one is to secure the HDMI port to the case. Not needed to remove that screw.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #696
elwaylite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe_No_Means_No View Post
Okay, so here is everything you need to upgrade your Roamio:

1. 3TB Drive (I recommend the WD AV-GP drive, the 1TB drive inside my Roamio Plus is also this exact drive), the 3TB drive is currently $137.99 on Amazon, shipping included.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W9BKE0/

2. T10 Torx screwdriver - I tinker with computers quite a bit, and I've tried all kinds of precision screwdriver kits. Most of them are crap, but not this one. This is the absolute best. Maxtech 16521MX precision bit set. $10.66 on Amazon shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Maxtech-16521M...dp/B000MF754W/

Tada! This is all you need to upgrade your Roamio to 3TB. You will end up with an extra 500GB/1TB drive, so maybe you can get something like this as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Docki...dp/B003UI62AG/
Thanks for this, since most of the stuff on my Roamio basic can be downloaded again, Im going to order a 2TB WD AV-GP drive now for tomorrow and get it installed. I can send the DVR Expander back and save money!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

WD AV-GP 2 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD20EURS

Ordered that overnight for $102.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #697
kealoha311

Upgraded a Plus last night with a plain old 3TB WD Green drive since I had one not being used. I saw that people were asking about installing a non-AV drive.
kealoha311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #698
elwaylite

In the past Ive used spare green's, they work fine in my experience on other DVR's. I figure since Im buying a new one anyways, might as well get the AV-GP.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #699
tivogurl

I've read somewhere around here that the auto-parking feature on the green drives can cause problems with TiVos.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #700
elwaylite

AV-GP has intellipark, but drives are never "idle" AFAIK in a TiVo. I thought one of the reasons the AV-GP drives are usually used in DVR's like Directv, etc..., is because a green drive has some certain data error correction, which is something you dont need or want in a drive recording video.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #701
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
AV-GP has intellipark, but drives are never "idle" AFAIK in a TiVo. I thought one of the reasons the AV-GP drives are usually used in DVR's like Directv, etc..., is because a green drive has some certain data error correction, which is something you dont need or want in a drive recording video.
I thought that was only implemented recently on green drives and older drives were OK. Waiting on some of the other members to chime in before I try it.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #702
elwaylite

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
I thought that was only implemented recently on green drives and older drives were OK. Waiting on some of the other members to chime in before I try it.

Not sure on that one.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #703
bodosom
Just another tivotee

T15 "required"

Are people using the T10 to remove the rails like using a T8 to remove the HDMI T10 screw?

My Roamio has T15 rail screws just like my Premiere (and I think the HR10).

Also I lost one of the rubber feet because the cover was much harder to get off than I expected.

(Loading: 70%...)
bodosom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #704
cr33p

Not sure how ppl feel about Recertified drives but this is a killer price for a 3tb drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236098
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #705
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Not sure how ppl feel about Recertified drives but this is a killer price for a 3tb drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236098
And only a ninety day warranty.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #706
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And only a ninety day warranty.
Unfortunately yes
Im a bit of a gambler myself
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #707
RockinRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Are people using the T10 to remove the rails like using a T8 to remove the HDMI T10 screw?

Also I lost one of the rubber feet because the cover was much harder to get off than I expected.

Cover removal was really hard for me too - what is the trick?

Ray
All Lifetime
RockinRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #708
ppartekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Only the top center screw needs to be removed. The other one is to secure the HDMI port to the case. Not needed to remove that screw.
Yep, only the center screw (long one) needs to be removed as mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Not sure on this one.. I have a package of tips and I just swapped until I got the right one.. So, it does like I needed 3 tips (#10 for center bit, #8 for drive tray and #15 for drive - I think).

Also, my Basic came already losing two rubber feet (not even in the box). The other two fell off while flipping it around upgrading the hard drive (just left them off). If I need rubber feet, I will go out buy real ones which will also allow for more air flow underneath too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post
Cover removal was really hard for me too - what is the trick?
Took me a bit too with amseven11 saying to slide.. Figured out on my basic it was pop off from back to front. The front has a little plastic lip that fits under another metal lip on the bottom. To put on just reverse, put the little lip in first then pop on from front to back (tho, it require a little finesse to keep the lip in on the front and lift top a bit allow it to go back - if that makes sense)
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #709
elwaylite

Some pics. Wasn't hard at all, will be ready to go for the 2TB AV-GP drive tomorrow.

Back of case, just take out screw over esata connector

I started at the back, right in the middle, and worked my fingers in. Keep sliding back and forth across the back slowly working the cover up. Once you get around on the sides of the plastic cover and the back is free, it'll just pop right off. Did not have to use much power at all.

Plate with drive just has 3 screws and comes right out. If you have ever installed drives in a PC before, it's that easy.

Pipeline 500gig

Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #710
RockinRay

Thanks for the tips... I have put a 2 TB green drive in my unit and decided to get a 3 TB drive and be done with it. The 3 TB WD AV drive arrives Thursday so I will put it in right away.

When I put the 2 TB drive in, I thought I would not get the top off without breaking it - that hard... So, I will try again!

Ray
All Lifetime
Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #711
elwaylite

I assume all the settings are not saved with a new drive, and will a new software download be needed?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #712
RockinRay

Quote:
I assume all the settings are not saved with a new drive, and will a new software download be needed?
Yes and yes. But it goes fairly quickly....

In my case, I moved the season passes to my Premier via the web so all I had to do was move them back. Worked quite well....

Ray
All Lifetime
Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #713
shfawaz

I'm wondering if using a 1Tb DVR Expander with a 3Tb drive will work? Anyone try this?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #714
elwaylite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post
Yes and yes. But it goes fairly quickly....

In my case, I moved the season passes to my Premier via the web so all I had to do was move them back. Worked quite well....
Awesome, thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #715
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
This is a MYTH, that keeps getting passed around. TiVo doesn't use the ATA (AV) streaming extensions command set, so ALL data is written as any old data, without the special AV features and without different error handling. AV drives ONLY run in AV mode when the host and software enable it. Without being enabled, the drive uses the VERY SAME error handling techniques as a non-AV drive.

It's also a MYTH that you shouldn't use AV drives in a computer. They behave them same as a non-AV drive, unless it's a media center PC, and the software and hardware support, and enable the AV (ATA) streaming extensions. Then they are actually more desirable for PC use.

As far as Intellipark goes, there is a brief moment on a warm reboot (from the menus), where most of the GP drives can park, and your TiVo can hang at the startup screen.

I have verified that ALL of TiVo's factory AV-GP drives have Intellipark disabled. I've seen reports (and witnessed) that the newest AV-GP drives ship from WD with Intellipark disabled. But, non-AV drives that are GP require you to disable it yourself.

There is a brief, but long enough time on a menu reboot, or if the TiVo reboots itself, where the TiVo is not in control of the drive, and the default Intellipark setting allows the drive to park (or attempt to).

These myths were born from drop-in-and-go drive sellers, who want people to believe they need an AV-rated drive.

You can also just increase the Intellipark timeout to 300 seconds, instead of 8 seconds, rather than disable it entirely. While a TiVo has no use for it, some older AV-GP and GP drives started behaving badly when fully disabled. WD has corrected this issue, quite a while back.

I can't comment on Seagate, as I have never had one come in a TiVo, nor have I used one as an upgrade drive.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-28-2013 at 09:58 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #716
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
This is a MYTH, that keeps getting passed around. TiVo doesn't use the ATA (AV) streaming extensions command set, so ALL data is written as any old data, without the special AV features and without different error handling. AV drives ONLY run in AV mode when the host and software enable it. Without being enabled, the drive uses the VERY SAME error handling techniques as a non-AV drive.

It's also a MYTH that you shouldn't use AV drives in a computer. They behave them same as a non-AV drive, unless it's a media center PC, and the software and hardware support, and enable the AV (ATA) streaming extensions. Then they are actually more desirable for PC use.

As far as Intellipark goes, there is a brief moment on a warm reboot (from the menus), where most of the GP drives can park, and your TiVo can hang at the startup screen.

I have verified that ALL of TiVo's factory AV-GP drives have Intellipark disabled. I've seen reports (and witnessed) that the newest AV-GP drives ship from WD with Intellipark disabled. But, non-AV drives that are GP require you to disable it yourself.

There is a brief, but long enough time on a menu reboot, or if the TiVo reboots itself, where the TiVo is not in control of the drive, and the default Intellipark setting allows the drive to park (or attempt to).

These myths were born from drop-in-and-go drive sellers, who want people to believe they need an AV-rated drive.

You can also just increase the Intellipark timeout to 300 seconds, instead of 8 seconds, rather than disable it entirely. While a TiVo has no use for it, some older AV-GP and GP drives started behaving badly when fully disabled. WD has corrected this issue, quite a while back.

I can't comment on Seagate, as I have never had one come in a TiVo, nor have I used one as an upgrade drive.
Just curious as to how you know what TiVo is using in the Roamio Hard drive system, the file system is different than all previous TiVos, as non of our copy tool can even see a Roamio basic TiVo drive even after the software is on the drive. Not saying your incorrect.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #717
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe_No_Means_No View Post
Yeah, it's that easy. Just pop in a new drive, as long as it's 3TB or less. When I tried 4TB last night it did not work. With the 3TB everything's automatic, put it in and you're good to go.
And Weeknees is still working on getting 4TB to work on Roamios. Just adding in case others didn't start at the beginning of thread. I think Weeknees views cracking the 3TB barrier as necessary for business.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #718
Alanbrad

True test will be the next restart since the first one did actually have to find the new drive, connections, etc.

Robot Vacuum

Last edited by Alanbrad : 09-23-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Alanbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #719
elwaylite

Well, so far I have one person here, and several people in other forums with contradicting stories. Facts would be nice, or at least proof. Im not picking a side, I just note neither side provided anything other than "Im right".

Looking at it in a way that intellipark is not used, and if it does not ignore sector issues while writing video with the device telling it so, why do DVR manufacturers use pipeline drives and AV-GP drives? There has to be something there, I wouldn't think they were exactly the same as say a caviar green and these people are getting hustled by WD and Seagate. Both the Pipeline and AV-GP claim 24x7 reliability, but not sure what they mean.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #720
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterfry View Post
Just another data point.

I have a TiVo Roamio. I replaced the 500GB Seagate Pipeline drive with a Western Digital AV-GP 2TB with no issues so far.
Ditto. Hardest part was getting the cover off! Other than that, the easiest and fastest Tivo drive upgrade I've ever done.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote