TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #631
series5orpremier

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Although no idea why they use the Seagate 500GB AV drive instead of the WD 500GB AV drive.
One version of the spec sheets gives the Seagate max operating temperature as 10 C higher than the WD. Then again, maybe TiVo just got a better bulk price from Seagate.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #632
richbrew
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
No definitive answer to my question there. I do strongly suspect as jmpage2 posted that most likely with a never-before-used-in-Roamio drive inserted all data is lost and it would be like starting out with a brand new TiVo, but was wondering if anyone actually confirmed that for sure or not.
The real answer is that it hasn't been tested yet by anyone, so there is no definitive answer yet. I would like to know those answers too, but it seems that everyone is content to assume, so I've resigned to the fact that I'll likely have to figure it out myself whenever I get one. (I'm not in any hurry to get one at the moment.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
I imagine all the data you mentioned, i.e., Cable Card pairing, Season Passes, Wishlists, settings, etc., is stored on the hard drive it would all be lost when a new drive is inserted. Only information stored on TiVo servers (is there any?), could be restored.
The last time I checked, imagination and supposition are not definitive answers either.
richbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #633
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrew View Post
The last time I checked, imagination and supposition are not definitive answers either.
Then you should perform the test yourself instead of looking to others to spend their time and money to definitively answer your questions.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #634
richbrew
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Then you should perform the test yourself instead of looking to others to spend their time and money to definitively answer your questions.
Thats EXACTLY what I said in the same post you quoted. I also gave an accurate answer (that it hasnt been tested) instead of using my imagination to guess. Nothing in my post said that I had any expectation of anyone else doing it for me. That must have been your imagination again.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #635
TC25D

Quote:
Nothing in my post said that I had any expectation of anyone else doing it for me. That must have been your imagination again.
No, it's not my imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrew
...but it seems that everyone is content to assume, so I've resigned to the fact that I'll likely have to figure it out myself whenever I get one. (I'm not in any hurry to get one at the moment.)'
Poor baby.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #636
richbrew
TiVo Fan

Quote:
No, it's not my imagination..

Yup, it says that everyone seems content to assume, implying that I don't expect anyone to test it, and that I'll just have to figure it out myself, which implies that I don't expect anyone to test it. I had previously hoped that someone might test it, but I had no expectations. It was not a complaint, or a request, just an obversation, and an attempt to relay that observation to someone else with the same questions. There's no need to get your panties in a wad just because I didn't think your imagination was a useful answer.

Quote:
Poor baby.
Name calling? Really?

Last edited by richbrew : 08-27-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #637
Kobe_No_Means_No

Quote:
Perhaps I missed it but has it been determined yet what other data besides shows are stored on the hard drive vs the SSD? For example important data such as:
* Cable Card pairing
* Season Passes
* Wishlists (the non auto-record variety)
* Preferences
* Channel Lineup
* Thumbs (though I don't care about that)

Would be nice to know exactly what is and what is not preserved when throwing in a new drive.
I've seen mentioned that you are forced to go through guided setup again which seems to imply perhaps channel lineup is not preserved.
I'll be testing these out this evening and will let you guys know. I ordered a 3TB WD AV drive from Amazon with local delivery a few hours ago, so I will receive it today. My 1TB Roamio Plus is already set up. So after I put in the 3TB I can let you guys know if cable card needs re-pairing, etc.
Kobe_No_Means_No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #638
gothaggis

I had to re-pair my cable card after I had set up my basic with the included drive....upgraded to a 2tb drive a few days later. It remembered the name of my unit, but didn't have any season pass data, wishlist data, or saved channel lineup
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #639
NYHeel

Quote:
Thats EXACTLY what I said in the same post you quoted. I also gave an accurate answer (that it hasnt been tested) instead of using my imagination to guess. Nothing in my post said that I had any expectation of anyone else doing it for me. That must have been your imagination again.
Actually it has been tested. The original poster indicated that on his second Roamio he let the stock drive boot up first and then he powered down and replaced the drive. The second drive process was identical to the startup process as with the stock drive as well as with his first Roamio that he booted up initially with the upgraded drive. In addition, gothaggis mentioned losing settings as well. So I believe it's fairly clear by now.

At this point there probably is some value in developing a drive upgrade tool similar to jmfs for those that want to upgrade their existing box without losing recordings and settings. But I don't have anywhere near the level of expertise to do that so I will just upgrade my drive before even booting up.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #640
keytohwy

format the drive?

My Roamio arrives today!

I've got a 2TB drive I'll be putting into it. I've read the thread (in it's entirety...where is the "all pages" button these forums??) and didn't see, or missed, any words on whether the drive needs to be formatted a certain way before putting it in. The drive is currently formatted for Mac OS X.

Thanks for any help or links.

Last edited by keytohwy : 08-27-2013 at 10:25 AM.
keytohwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #641
NYHeel

One other question, has anyone yet used an upgrade drive other than the Seagate pipeline drive or the WD AV-GP drives? Just thinking that maybe the issue on the 4TB drive could be the drive type or model. Maybe the Tivo requires the WD AV-GP or Seagate Pipeline drive and won't allow a different one. Just throwing it out there.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #642
Unseen Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytohwy View Post
My Roamio arrives today!

I've got a 2TB drive I'll be putting into it. I've read the thread (in it's entirety...where is the "all pages" button these forums??) and didn't see, or missed, any words on whether the drive needs to be formatted a certain way before putting it in. The drive is currently formatted for Mac OS X.

Thanks for nay help or links.
Mine arrived this morning as well as the WD 3TB AV drive. I just swapped the drive out and booted up. TiVo automatically formatted the drive and then went thru the updates. So if it's a brand new drive, try that.
Unseen Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #643
keytohwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseen Llama View Post
Mine arrived this morning as well as the WD 3TB AV drive. I just swapped the drive out and booted up. TiVo automatically formatted the drive and then went thru the updates. So if it's a brand new drive, try that.

It is not brand new. I've been using it for other purposes. I can format it a different way, if necessary, but I'm more curious than anything.

I guess if no one else replies, I'll try it and post here.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #644
jcthorne

Quote:
So I guess nobody has yet tried a new drive after setting up and using another for a while?
Yes, that is exactly what I did. Nothing is remembered. Not even zip code. The TiVo formats the drive and starts the update and setup sequence again. It appears all that is in flash is enough software to format the drive and a few housekeeping items to enable it to get the software download from the mother ship.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #645
jmpage2

Quote:
It is not brand new. I've been using it for other purposes. I can format it a different way, if necessary, but I'm more curious than anything.

I guess if no one else replies, I'll try it and post here.
Use a software application to wipe the partition table or zero it out. Then it will look like a 'new drive'.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #646
alansh

4TB-1K is the maximum you can express in 32 bits using 1K blocks. So I'm guessing that's what TiVo is doing and is getting an overflow on 4TB drives.

A possible fix might be preformatting the drive to just under 4TB so that TiVo doesn't try to format it itself, but it still might fail depending on how it queries the drive.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #647
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
At this point there probably is some value in developing a drive upgrade tool similar to jmfs for those that want to upgrade their existing box without losing recordings and settings. But I don't have anywhere near the level of expertise to do that so I will just upgrade my drive before even booting up.
At this point, we do not have enough data or at least the available data have not yet been analyzed to know if such a tool is required or doable. There is definitely not enough information to start designing much less development. If there is, I am certainly unaware of it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #648
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I did. Nothing is remembered. Not even zip code. The TiVo formats the drive and starts the update and setup sequence again. It appears all that is in flash is enough software to format the drive and a few housekeeping items to enable it to get the software download from the mother ship.
OK, thanks very much for confirming (and posting).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #649
consumedsoul

Quote:
Thanks for confirming! This might've been addressed already, but does it remember your season pass / wishlist settings etc.? (in other words is that pulled down from the mothership as well)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #650
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
Thanks for confirming! This might've been addressed already, but does it remember your season pass / wishlist settings etc.? (in other words is that pulled down from the mothership as well)
It remembers nothing and the SPs are not automaticly repopulated from TiVo.com. You have to transfer them again.....or from a kmttg saved season pass file :-)

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #651
consumedsoul

Quote:
It remembers nothing and the SPs are not automaticly repopulated from TiVo.com. You have to transfer them again.....or from a kmttg saved season pass file :-)
Ah... so in Tivo.com it'll show up as another device essentially? In that case does it matter what I name the new device (unique)?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #652
consumedsoul

Quote:
Ah... so in Tivo.com it'll show up as another device essentially? In that case does it matter what I name the new device (unique)?
BTW - I'm referencing an existing Tivo Roamio unit that has season passes (that I've been using since last week), I just want to swap out the HD.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #653
andyw715

hmm I wonder if you could put a full (of shows) drive from one Roamio into another?
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #654
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
hmm I wonder if you could put a full (of shows) drive from one Roamio into another?
The TSN would not match so I would assume that the drive would re-formatted somewhat like the C&D all that has been in the TiVo forever.

Does the Roamio have a menu item C&D all ??

Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #655
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

I have a spare 2TB WD green drive lying around that I took out of an enclosure that was once connected to one of my computers for backup (2 years or so ago). Any reason it would not work?

I'd love to save all the money of buying a drive.

Think I will sell my Elite and then maybe all my lifetime premieres for minis. Would be nice to have one central hub finally.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #656
keytohwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
I have a spare 2TB WD green drive lying around that I took out of an enclosure that was once connected to one of my computers for backup (2 years or so ago). Any reason it would not work?

I'd love to save all the money of buying a drive.

Think I will sell my Elite and then maybe all my lifetime premieres for minis. Would be nice to have one central hub finally.
I'll let you know in a couple of hours. I'm in a similar boat.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #657
ggieseke

Quote:
My Roamio arrives today!

Thanks for any help or links.
It couldn't hurt to use something like Active KillDisk or one of the other tools mentioned to zero the first & last few thousand sectors since it's already formatted for a Mac, but let us know how it goes is you just slap it in and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
I had to re-pair my cable card after I had set up my basic with the included drive....upgraded to a 2tb drive a few days later. It remembered the name of my unit, but didn't have any season pass data, wishlist data, or saved channel lineup
That's about what happens on a Premiere with a reimaged "virgin" drive. It remembers the name and the zip code (I think it pulls them from the mothership) but everything else is gone.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #658
keytohwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
It couldn't hurt to use something like Active KillDisk or one of the other tools mentioned to zero the first & last few thousand sectors since it's already formatted for a Mac, but let us know how it goes is you just slap it in and see what happens.

That's about what happens on a Premiere with a reimaged "virgin" drive. It remembers the name and the zip code (I think it pulls them from the mothership) but everything else is gone.
I just slapped it in. Going through guided setup now. Coming from an S3 LED. This thing is fast.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #659
consumedsoul

Quote:
BTW - I'm referencing an existing Tivo Roamio unit that has season passes (that I've been using since last week), I just want to swap out the HD.
Just swapped out HD on fully set up Roamio Basic, the only thing it remembered was my device name, had to put in zip code and do the rest of the setup. Had to reconfigure settings, put in season pass / wish list info again etc.

300+ HD hrs though now!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #660
Dan203
Super Moderator

This may have been answered already but this thread is long and I don't have time to read the whole thing...

If you go through the complete setup on two different drives can you swap them back and forth and retain all the settings specific to each drive? Or is the firmware in the TiVo paired specifically to one drive?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote