TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #541
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I have no real doubt that the physical process will work. My question is - Is there anything recoverable on the backup and restore? IOW, If I restore a Roamio backup to a drive and put it in a TiVo, is anything on the drive needed or useful, even it is put in the same TiVo as the backup source.

At the very least, it appears as though imaging a drive prior to installing it in a Roamio isn't necessary, but that has not yet been fully verified via load testing.

That was what went into my reasoning for suggesting that people wait until it is confirmed that the DIY upgraded Roamios perform correctly before any further mucking about with the stock drives.
You are 100% correct. I can't promise anything beyond the fact that it's completely read only in backup mode. Obviously the warranty is void the minute you open the box, and no one knows what the heck is on the drive (if anything) at this point.

I hope that some people will take the chance anyway, but if you have any doubts DON'T risk it - just plug it in and enjoy the TiVo goodness.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #542
jodell
TiVo geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
I tried to look for internal temperature but its not in the system info, I scrolled all the way to bottom and nothing.
I believe the MBT line in system information is the Mother Board Temperature.

My Roamio with 2 TB drive has been running for 20+ hours in my closet that houses all my equipment. After recording (and transferring) about 50 hours worth or shows, all is well so far. The MBT is 50.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #543
ballpython06

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
I had gotten my Western Digital power numbers for the av-gp eurs series off of a retailers website. I just went to the WD website and looked at the data sheet: they say both the 3TB and 2TB have 4.4 W/4.1 W/0.6 W read-write/idle/sleep power, so maybe it makes no difference between those two. The Seagate Pipeline 500mb spec sheet gives it's power as 3.4 W/3.0 W/0.7 W.
Unless I am mistaken, I am seeing 6w/ 5.5w/.75w for WD AV-GP ( WD30EURS) the 3tb.
ballpython06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #544
amseven11

Hey guys Im going to eat something then will do the hard drive images. Please help me find a way to upload them so I can get them to you guys tonight.
amseven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #545
mike123abc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballpython06 View Post
Unless I am mistaken, I am seeing 6w/ 5.5w/.75w for WD AV-GP ( WD30EURS) the 3tb.
How are you measuring? Draw on the main plug? If TiVo had an 80% efficient power supply, it would draw 20% more at the plug...
mike123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #546
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123abc View Post
How are you measuring? Draw on the main plug? If TiVo had an 80% efficient power supply, it would draw 20% more at the plug...
He is referring to the specs for that model drive not a measured power result.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #547
Crrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink View Post
My unmodified Roamio basic is noticeably warm to the touch on the top case, above the hard drive.
Using a decent IR thermometer I get measurements in the mid 80F range along the top cover, and if I measure at the vents on the side the HDD is on I get a max of around 105F.
My MBT reading is 44C, ambient room temp is about 75F.

My Roamio will sit in an open shelf with lots of room for airflow on the sides, so I'm not too concerned about heat issues, but I don't think I'd want to run one of these in an enclosed cabinet without at least an external exhaust fan.
I'm hoping a 3Tb drive won't add much heat, but think I'm going to wait for some data from folks who've upgraded before I take the plunge.
Self quote...
So much for my big talk. Have a WD 3Tb Red drive on the way.
Got a Red because I found a Newegg coupon that made it ~$20 cheaper than a Green AV-GP drive. Quick research didn't seem to turn up any reason the Green should be better suited than the Red - let me know if I missed something!

Will do the upgrade in a few days when the drive arrives.
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #548
MeInDallas

Cool, let us know how that one works out please, thanks!

I'm wondering if that one will have to have the wdidle3 done on it, guess we will find out
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #549
jfh3

The red drives are a bit noisier than green, but I don't find it that noticeable. Red isn't optimized for video, but I don't think that is as important as being certified as 24/7.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #550
aaronwt
HD Addict

I ended up working 16 hours today so I was surprised this thread isn't longer like when I got home late Friday night. Anyway it sounds like someone used a 3TB drive in the Plus so I guess I'm all set to do the Plus upgrade. Although I was hoping to get to BestBuy on Sunday but I have to work now so I'm not sure if I will make it there.

What about the Seasoan Passes? Will the Roamio retain the SPs if you upgrade thed drive? Whether locally or online really doesn't matter to me as long as they are retained somehow. If I make it to BB and they have a Plus I'll pick it up and just throw a 2 TB Seagate in it for now. Then I'll order a 3TB WD AV drive from Amazon next week. It's been at least a couple of years since I messed with a TiVo hard drive. Does the Plus and Pro take the same torx bits as the last few TiVo models? I must have close to a dozen of them around somewhere in my closets.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #551
jfh3

If it's a new drive, the SPs should be restored from the TiVo.com mother ship after the drive has been built. I haven't tested this yet; waiting for my drive to show up.

Yes, T10 for the Plus/Pro. Also need a T8 for the base model.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #552
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
If it's a new drive, the SPs should be restored from the TiVo.com mother ship after the drive has been built. I haven't tested this yet; waiting for my drive to show up.
Sounds good. Thanks..
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #553
Crrink

Quote:
The red drives are a bit noisier than green, but I don't find it that noticeable. Red isn't optimized for video, but I don't think that is as important as being certified as 24/7.
Hmm...the spec sheets on the WD site showed the same noise levels for both red and green 3tb drives, and I had read some anecdotal stuff claiming the red drives were quieter, so I was hoping that would be the case.

Won't be the end of the world either way, but I'd have paid more for a quieter drive.

FWIW the 2TB Green drive I have in the TiVo HD the Roamio Base is replacing is louder than the stock drive in the Roamio. I have to put my ear within 6" to tell the difference, so again, not a big deal, but something to add to the information pile.

RE: wdidle, I've also read anecdotally that the red drives don't park, so wdidle shouldn't need to be run, but I'll be sure to test warm and cold booting to be sure.

Hopefully be able to report back by mid-week.
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #554
sailordave

Updated HD - WD 3GB

I dropped in the WD 30 EURS last night and have been running it for about 12 hours. Got over 450 hours of HD recoding available on the standard unit. I have been recording 3-4 Shows and transferred a few Shows between Tivos. Checked the temperature and it is been between 48-49 the whole time. So far so good!

Dave
sailordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #555
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
Hey guys Im going to eat something then will do the hard drive images. Please help me find a way to upload them so I can get them to you guys tonight.
Contact the author of DVRBARS and ask him to send you a Dropbox invite. By accepting the invite, each person gets a bonus of an extra 500MB on top of the FREE 2GB you get with a free account.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...r.php?u=207112

Once you have installed Dropbox, which the invite will include a download link for, just put the file(s) in a shared folder, and then contact the author again, with the link(s) to the file(s) in the shared folder.

He can then modify his software, if necessary. to insure the restore portion works properly. He's also the best suited to analyze the image(s).

Helpful tip: Zip compress the file(s) down by either using the "send to compressed folder" option in windows, or use WinZip, if you don't have that option. It takes the already small (by comparison to the drive size), file(s) and will make them much smaller than they already are, making it faster to upload them, and for anybody else to download them.

I wouldn't recommend posting a PUBLIC link to the file(s). It's always best to just have people PM or email you a request for the link(s). We aren't supposed to post links to TiVo images on here directly. Just keep it on the down-low.

Don't forget, he's looking for a before (never booted) & after (setup completed) image. Just a before image can yield at least the answer to the question of "Is the included drive blank when shipped?".

I'll say it again: Thanks for everything. It is all very much appreciated.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #556
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

One question that we may want to know the answer to before ordering anything other than an AV-rated drive, is "Has TiVo finally started using the ATA streaming extensions command set?".

If you put in anything other than an AV-rated drive (like a WD Red), and they finally started using true AV streaming, it may work, it may not, and it may work, but run into problems as the drive gets fragmented and is trying to write those 4 or 6 streams, while you try to watch a recorded program, etc.

So far, all these tests have been conducted with AV-rated drives...

My best guess as to determining the answer to the question in quotes is waiting to hear from somebody who has installed a non-AV rated drive, and has FULLY tested it under all possible parameters (if it even works at all)...

Footnote: While I specifically mentioned the WD Red, I don't know if it may support the ATA streaming extensions, or not. It might, and just not be marketed as an AV-rated drive. I'll try to find time to run through the spec sheets on those later. I have some first generation SATA-1 WD drives that were sold as "multimedia drives", and they support it, according to what one of the many tools out there spit-out as supported features.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #557
jodell
TiVo geek

Quote:
Restoring season passes from tivo.com works just fine. I merged two SP lists onto the Roamio that will replace two Premiers. Beware that for a while after restoring the season passes, some may say "Corrupt - delete me" in the Tivo Season Pass screen. Just let the Tivo update with a full guide and then process the SPs. After about 2 hours, all was well with my season passes.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #558
shoeboo

A quick update, since I updated my base Roamio to 3tb yesterday I have been transferring and recording shows and now have over 80 hours of HD. My disk usage is at 17% which should mean I have surpassed the 500gb original capacity.
My MBT has been 48 every time I checked.
shoeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #559
uberloo

Manufacturer Brand

Question for those of you who have installed a replacement drive, and also to those who haven't - what 'Manufacturer Brand' does your Roamio list in System Information? Mine has 'TiVo Customer Support' and I have a replacement drive installed. I'm curious if this is different on an unmodified unit.
uberloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #560
ppartekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodell View Post
Restoring season passes from tivo.com works just fine. I merged two SP lists onto the Roamio that will replace two Premiers. Beware that for a while after restoring the season passes, some may say "Corrupt - delete me" in the Tivo Season Pass screen. Just let the Tivo update with a full guide and then process the SPs. After about 2 hours, all was well with my season passes.

Jeff

Cool, hadn't realized that was possible. I have 2 S3s to transfer over and this will make it a lot easier.. Course over the years, those season pass lists have grown with all those cancelled series and a little pruning might be necessary.
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #561
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberloo View Post
Question for those of you who have installed a replacement drive, and also to those who haven't - what 'Manufacturer Brand' does your Roamio list in System Information? Mine has 'TiVo Customer Support' and I have a replacement drive installed. I'm curious if this is different on an unmodified unit.
Maybe that means "Since you installed your own drive, now you get to offer yourself support, not TiVo"

Perhaps this could be something that proves the stock drive may at least contain enough to identify itself as what belongs inside a stock retail unit, or the TiVo knows at least what model(s) are stock drives...

Usually "TiVo Customer Support" means a call-center, of course. But in this context, I don't think you should call them and ask about it. That would be like breaking the law, then turning yourself in...
Old 08-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #562
ggieseke

Quote:
kmttg should do the same thing and more, though I don't know if anyone has tested that part of it on an S5 yet. Merging multiple units is a good question, but it keeps the correct order and also supports wishlists.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #563
series5orpremier

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberloo View Post
My unmodified base Roamio says 'TiVo Customer Support' too, so no, they're not shaming you yet.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #564
lpwcomp

I just had a flash of a CSR with a headset on, slaving over a hot soldering iron between calls.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #565
jodell
TiVo geek

Roamio w/ 2TB drive over 80 hours so far

Just a FYI. My upgraded Roamio has passed the 75 hour mark for recordings with no problems. As others have stated, the real test is will the whole drive fill up without problems. Will take a lot more recordings to fill the other 235 hours on my drive. :')

Jeff
Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #566
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I just had a flash of a CSR with a headset on, slaving over a hot soldering iron between calls.
That one went right over the top of my head... ...and kept going...

What was the CSR Rep soldering, the inevitable soon to be refurbished returns, or was it reference to they have the CSRs hand soldering Roamios to keep up with demand?

I haven't seen that one on "Factory Made", "How Do They Do It?", or "How It's Made", of which Discovery has blessed me with their gift of 300+ episodes of, by flagging all episodes in a way that they will record, even if it's already in the NPL, from yesterday...

On the bright side, I just missed the last barrage of EAS warnings, because it's a cloudy day in Vegas, so it might rain, which might lead to water, in which case everybody forgets how to drive, and realizes their wiper blades disintegrated in the heat...
Old 08-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #567
Dan203
Super Moderator

We get that here too. If there is even a hint of a thunder storm we get a flash flood warning every 15 minutes.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #568
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Just a FYI. My upgraded Roamio has passed the 75 hour mark for recordings with no problems. As others have stated, the real test is will the whole drive fill up without problems. Will take a lot more recordings to fill the other 235 hours on my drive. :')

Jeff
Give it 91 days, to fragment for a while, and the warranty to expire. JK

But, that truly is the bar that the absolutes have set.

I have a feeling I'm about to get corrected by lpwcomp.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #569
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
That one went right over the top of my head... ...and kept going...
It was based on "Manufacturer Brand" being "TiVo Customer Support", rather than just "TiVo".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #570
darkstar757

Roamio Plus Upgrade to 3TB no issues. I have just installed a 3TB drive into my brand new TIVO roamio plus. I am using a Hitachi 7200rpm sata 6 drive and it was a very simple swap and so far I am seeing no issues. I will attempt a 4tb drive very soon!
darkstar757 is offline   Reply With Quote