TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #511
Goober96

Speaking of heat generation, I read in these forums somewhere that the airflow is side to side in the Roamio Pro (which I have on order). Can someone who has one tell me if there are vents on the sides? I have my Premiere in a cabinet that leaves no room on the sides of the unit. Since reading this, I have decided to place the Roamio Pro on top of my AV receiver which leads me to my next question: how high up does it sit on its feet and do y'all think placing it on top of the receiver (which generates a good bit of heat and vents through the top) would be okay? Also, if not, can I place the receiver on top of the Roamio? Is the case sturdy enough to handle that? Thanks.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #512
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The Roamio Plus & Pro is the same size and chassis as the Premiere w/ rear fan.

Only the Basic Roamio is smaller with side vents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #513
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

Only the Basic Roamio is smaller with side vents.
Okay. Great. Thanks!
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #514
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
At this point, we don't know for sure that a drive restored using DVRBars will work. Highly probable -yes. Certain- no.
Full backups just read every byte on the drive from 0 to whatever. I've used it to backup blank drives (don't ask), Windows drives, Linux drives, etc. Just like WinMFS, don't connect any TiVo drive to a Windows 2000 or earlier box. XP, 7 & 8 are safe as houses as long as you don't open up Disk Manager. It's also handy for creating VHD files for use with VMWare or Windows Virtual PC.

Full restores just reverse the process, resulting in a perfect xerox copy. Right now DvrBARS won't restore unless it recognizes the backup image as a TiVo drive, but I'll fix that to allow you to continue in full restore mode.

And yes, I'm very interested in both before and after images.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #515
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Speaking of heat generation, I read in these forums somewhere that the airflow is side to side in the Roamio Pro (which I have on order).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
That being the case, I would not put the Roamio on top of the AVR.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #516
ncbill

yes, it would be nice to see temperatures for 3TB & 4TB upgrades (assuming anyone can get 4TB working) for the Roamio Basic.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #517
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
yes, it would be nice to see temperatures for 3TB & 4TB upgrades (assuming anyone can get 4TB working) for the Roamio Basic.
Well there is apparently no temp sensor, so the only way to get that info would be to install a thermistor into the case for testing purposes.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #518
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Yes there is. It was posted somewhere around here. It appears under "MBT".

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #519
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Full backups just read every byte on the drive from 0 to whatever. I've used it to backup blank drives (don't ask), Windows drives, Linux drives, etc. Just like WinMFS, don't connect any TiVo drive to a Windows 2000 or earlier box. XP, 7 & 8 are safe as houses as long as you don't open up Disk Manager. It's also handy for creating VHD files for use with VMWare or Windows Virtual PC.

Full restores just reverse the process, resulting in a perfect xerox copy. Right now DvrBARS won't restore unless it recognizes the backup image as a TiVo drive, but I'll fix that to allow you to continue in full restore mode.

And yes, I'm very interested in both before and after images.
What size file do you get backing up a blank (new, or all zeros) drive, and if one back up a new TR drive that was blank, would the file size give us the information that the drive is blank ?
I will get my TR plus on this Wednesday and start doing some tests then, before TiVo activation so if I do brick the unit all I would have to do is work on replacing the TR and not have to move the lifetime activation also.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #520
shoeboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Just finished installing a 3tb WD AV-GP in the base roamio and doing guided setup. Been on live tv for about half an hour and MBT is currently 47.

Last edited by shoeboo : 08-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.
shoeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #521
series5orpremier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
I'm not worried about the power requirements, but more the additional heat generated. I was going to do a 3TB upgrade, but decided to go with 2TB instead because I don't want to risk the heat from the 3TB frying anything.
Ditto. The extra TB would probably be sitting there empty for me 99%-100% of the time anyway.

The motherboard isn't the best place to mount a thermocouple - it won't be all that sensitive to temperature swings on the cpu and hard drive, which are probably the maximum temps in the box. Changes in the MBT are probably more correlated to the air temp in the box. I remember when I first saw that MBT readout on the System Info screen I thought it was just for show to make things look cooler in there than they really are.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #522
series5orpremier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
Just finished installing a 3tb WD AV-GP in the base roamio and doing guided setup. Been on live tv for about half an hour and MBT is currently 47.
By contrast the MBT on my Premiere XL runs 36-37.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #523
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
Somebody would have to look at the MBT of a non modified Roamio, then put in the bigger drive and look at the difference, if any. I don't know if you can compare MBT between say a Series 4 and the Roamio.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #524
series5orpremier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Somebody would have to look at the MBT of a non modified Roamio, then put in the bigger drive and look at the difference, if any. I don't know if you can compare MBT between say a Series 4 and the Roamio.
True enough, but it confirms the intuitive assumption that the base Roamio would run warmer than anything in the larger form factor.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #525
ncbill

yeah, I think I'll wait a few months (at least until day 91) and gather more feedback before upgrading my Roamio Basic.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #526
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Well there is apparently no temp sensor, so the only way to get that info would be to install a thermistor into the case for testing purposes.
The Roamio basic has a thermal sensor. Shows up in the system information.

MBT = 45

Mother Board Temperature = 45 deg C

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #527
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
More "by contrast": My Tivo HD (model 652) runs 43C to 45C. What's acceptable for a Roamio may be different than for other models anyway.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #528
ppartekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
More "by contrast": My Tivo HD (model 652) runs 43C to 45C. What's acceptable for a Roamio may be different than for other models anyway.
My two 1TB S3s are running 48C(Normal) and 49C(Normal) according to the system info.
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #529
eDbolson

Well, my first "mass storage device" was this - a block addressable tape drive! Yes, the operating system actually ran on tape. So much fun to watch it move back and forth to load different modules.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Pdp-11-40.jpg
eDbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #530
eDbolson

Well, my first "mass storage device" was this - a block addressable tape drive! Yes, the operating system actually ran on tape. So much fun to watch it move back and forth to load different modules.

eDbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #531
jcthorne

Well yet one more Roamio now has 2TB of storage. 316 Hrs of HD space. Been running about an hour so far since redoing guided setup and mother board temp is running 43 so about the same as with the Seagate 500GB drive so far.

My Roamio had been running for several days now and had about 35 or so shows recorded including a number that had been pushed by pyTivo. Resending those now.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #532
Crrink

My unmodified Roamio basic is noticeably warm to the touch on the top case, above the hard drive.
Using a decent IR thermometer I get measurements in the mid 80F range along the top cover, and if I measure at the vents on the side the HDD is on I get a max of around 105F.
My MBT reading is 44C, ambient room temp is about 75F.

My Roamio will sit in an open shelf with lots of room for airflow on the sides, so I'm not too concerned about heat issues, but I don't think I'd want to run one of these in an enclosed cabinet without at least an external exhaust fan.
I'm hoping a 3Tb drive won't add much heat, but think I'm going to wait for some data from folks who've upgraded before I take the plunge.
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #533
cpgny9

Just to further confirm......got my Roamio Plus this morning at Best Buy (they had a couple in stock to my surprise), came home, opened it up and installed a 2tb drive - one I had laying around.....originally in a premiere elite, that i had accidentally erased (long story, don't ask). Swapping out the hard drive was simple and took only a couple of minutes. When i plugged in the tivo, everything booted up fine and it installed the service update. I called and switched my tivo service from my old unit, called and swapped my optimum cable card (which was surprisingly easy...took all of 3 minutes) and now the roamio is running like a champ. Shows 315hrs HD recording space.

I did have a little issue with all the channels not showing up on all 6 tuners, but after a reboot and re-running the guided setup...everything works perfectly. The temp is between 38-40 which is about where my XL4 was. I even tested recording 6 different shows at the same time and everything worked without any real noticible diff in temp.

The speed of the roamio is quite impressive...huge diff between it and my old XL4. Tested Netflix & MLB TV and its night and day in comparison to the XL4. MLB TV was almost unusable on the XL4 it was so slow, but now it's almost as fast as appleTV. Same goes with Netflix.
cpgny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #534
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
What size file do you get backing up a blank (new, or all zeros) drive, and if one back up a new TR drive that was blank, would the file size give us the information that the drive is blank ?
I will get my TR plus on this Wednesday and start doing some tests then, before TiVo activation so if I do brick the unit all I would have to do is work on replacing the TR and not have to move the lifetime activation also.
There are a few KB for headers in the VHD format. After that every 2MB block that's all zeroes only takes up 4 bytes. Any 2MB block that's not all zeroes gets copied as is and takes an additional 4 bytes as a pointer to the data and another 512 bytes for a "bitmap". It's anyone's guess as to the new drive format or lack thereof, but a raw 2TB drive that's all zeroes should compress down to about 4MB.

I hope to buy a Pro in the next week or so just for research, and with PapaArt's base model image that I should have by then and a Plus image from you that's a good start.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #535
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I always remembered my Tivo HD's ran a little bit hotter than the Premiere models, and from what I remember the Series 2's ran even hotter, but I cant remember that far back at the exact number.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #536
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgny9 View Post
I called and switched my tivo service from my old unit, called and swapped my optimum cable card (which was surprisingly easy...took all of 3 minutes) and now the roamio is running like a champ. Shows 315hrs HD recording space.
I'm a little confused. Can you transfer service to a new TiVo? Does that keep your rate plan?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #537
series5orpremier

I finally set up my base Roamio. Shortly after guided setup finished MBT was 45 and kept creeping up a degree at a time. I've messed around with it quite a bit this afternoon and MBT seems to have stabilized at 48. This is with the 500MB stock (presumably Seagate) hard drive. Room temperature is about 24 C.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #538
cpgny9

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I'm a little confused. Can you transfer service to a new TiVo? Does that keep your rate plan?
If your plan is month to month and not in commitment, you can. I think it was more of a cancel and activate, though. Rate pan stayed the same for me.
cpgny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #539
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post

Full restores just reverse the process, resulting in a perfect xerox copy. Right now DvrBARS won't restore unless it recognizes the backup image as a TiVo drive, but I'll fix that to allow you to continue in full restore mode.)
I have no real doubt that the physical process will work. My question is - Is there anything recoverable on the backup and restore? IOW, If I restore a Roamio backup to a drive and put it in a TiVo, is anything on the drive needed or useful, even it is put in the same TiVo as the backup source.

At the very least, it appears as though imaging a drive prior to installing it in a Roamio isn't necessary, but that has not yet been fully verified via load testing.

That was what went into my reasoning for suggesting that people wait until it is confirmed that the DIY upgraded Roamios perform correctly before any further mucking about with the stock drives.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #540
series5orpremier

I had gotten my Western Digital power numbers for the av-gp eurs series off of a retailers website. I just went to the WD website and looked at the data sheet: they say both the 3TB and 2TB have 4.4 W/4.1 W/0.6 W read-write/idle/sleep power, so maybe it makes no difference between those two. The Seagate Pipeline 500mb spec sheet gives it's power as 3.4 W/3.0 W/0.7 W.