TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Teeps

Roamio Basic Dead < 3 months!

This Roamio went on line 22Dec14.

Pressed the TiVo Central button to wake it up and nothing...
Disconnected the power supply from Roamio. Wait a couple of minutes and reconnect power supply; nothing.
No lights no noise. It does not power up.

Call TiVo support.
The agent says not to use standby it can cause problems.
I question that... but what ever.

TiVo offered to exchange the dead unit for $49 plus local tax.

Not happy...

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Dixon Butz
Anal Member

Could it just be the power brick? You have anyway to test it?

Samsung UHDTV HU658550
Denon 3312 AVR 7.3
Dixon Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Butz View Post
Could it just be the power brick?
You have anyway to test it?
No. That was my first thought too.

Yes, I tested the power supply with volt meter.
And connected the Roamio into 2 other "proper" 12v power supplies.

It's dead...

Old 03-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Dixon Butz
Anal Member

Ok. Sorry. That blows.

Samsung UHDTV HU658550
Denon 3312 AVR 7.3
Dixon Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
b-ball-fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
TiVo offered to exchange the dead unit for $49 plus local tax.

Not happy...
Isn't it still under a one-year warranty? Seems like the replacement should be free....

b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
HarperVision

Where did you buy it? Amazon and Best Buy are usually good with replacing things like this if you call and explain.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ball-fanatic View Post
Isn't it still under a one-year warranty? Seems like the replacement should be free....
Yes, operative word is "SHOULD" be free...
90 days is standard warranty on most consumer products.
but I remember the agent mentioning this:
Continual Care Warranty

Roamio Series DVRs that have an active monthly or annual service plan are covered by the Continual Care Warranty, in addition to the 90-day limited warranty. Under the Continual Care plan, an eligible Roamio DVR can be exchanged for a reduced fee of $49 (plus applicable taxes and shipping costs).
IMPORTANT: Only Roamio Series DVRs with a monthly or annual service plan are eligible for the Continual Care Warranty.

After I get the new unit up and running, I will call TiVo support and negotiate on the 90 day warranty, as the failure was day 96.
I might be able to get a further price reduction from the $49.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Where did you buy it? Amazon and Best Buy are usually good with replacing things like this if you call and explain.
Straight from TiVo so I could get my 9.95 monthly transferred.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Yes, operative word is "SHOULD" be free...
90 days is standard warranty on most consumer products.
but I remember the agent mentioning this:
Continual Care Warranty

Roamio Series DVRs that have an active monthly or annual service plan are covered by the Continual Care Warranty, in addition to the 90-day limited warranty. Under the Continual Care plan, an eligible Roamio DVR can be exchanged for a reduced fee of $49 (plus applicable taxes and shipping costs).
IMPORTANT: Only Roamio Series DVRs with a monthly or annual service plan are eligible for the Continual Care Warranty.

After I get the new unit up and running, I will call TiVo support and negotiate on the 90 day warranty, as the failure was day 96.
I might be able to get a further price reduction from the $49.

Straight from TiVo so I could get my 9.95 monthly transferred.
That's messed up! You were 6-days past the 90 and they still charged you? Wow.. Now that's some awesome customer support right there..

Sling TV | OTA | Netflix | MLB.TV | NHL Gamecenter
raqball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
That's messed up! You were 6-days past the 90 and they still charged you? Wow.. Now that's some awesome customer support right there..
sony refused a warranty replacement for me 1 day past, and no amount of talking or writing swayed their decision. i suspected it was based on their knowledge of existing troubles with the model that failed.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
b-ball-fanatic

Wow....here I was thinking that TiVos had a one year warranty. 90 days? That's pathetic.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Wow....here I was thinking that TiVos had a one year warranty. 90 days? That's pathetic.
i've found sometimes it depends on the mfg and retailer relationship - it's easier for best buy to upsell an extended warranty if the mfg only offers 90 days.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #12
tarheelblue32

Quote:
90 days parts and labor (i.e. a free exchange), 1 year "parts only" which means they will charge you some kind of fee for exchanging out the box after 90 days.

A lot of major credit cards will double a manufacturer's warranty if you use the card for the purchase, so you might be able to get the credit card company to refund you the exchange fee from 91 to 180 days.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
Peter G

I had a similar problem. First roamio basic went bad after about 4 or 5 months. I paid the $49 fee and got a new Roamio. Only bone they threw me was to say I qulified for a new unit rather than a refurb since I was well within the one year.

However they told me to send the unit only, not to include the remote or power supply. New unit came with new remote and new power supply, so I now have spares of these. Probably almost worth the $49. I also did not pay shipping in either direction for the replacement. So actually I feel this was not an unreasonable response; could have been worse.

Peter G

Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
90 days parts and labor (i.e. a free exchange), 1 year "parts only" . . . .
Which means that TiVo is charging $49 for the "labor" of mailing out a replacement box . . . .

Mikeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
While it's certainly nice when a company provides warranty support beyond the advertised warranty period, I really don't get when people complain (as in "seriously" complain, I get the hyoperbole-complaint ) about warranty support not being provided when a unit is out of warranty, be it one day or one year past the warranty. At some point it's out of warranty. If you bought a three-year extended service plan, it wouldn't be valid at 3 years+1 day, would it? If you pay for a one year subscription do you get upset when you discover your subscription stopped at one year + 1 day?

Or maybe look at it this way: Most one-year warranties you see on electronic devices are probably really one-year on parts and 90 days on labor, anyway. A $49 flat fee would typically be a better deal in most all cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's really unusual. Was it plugged into a UPS or power strip? Could it have taken a power hit of some sort? 99% of the time when a TiVo "dies" it's either the power supply or the HDD. You've seemed to have ruled out the power supply and if it were the HDD you'd still see the initial boot up screen. Usually these type of mobo issues occure much sooner.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
??? Six days is six days over the end of the warranty period. Why have a time limit if it won't be enforced? Why would anyone expect a warranty to be in force after the expiration date?

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #18
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's really unusual. Was it plugged into a UPS or power strip? Could it have taken a power hit of some sort?.
Both, surge/power strip connected to wall socket; UPS connected to it and as always, TiVo connected to the surge/battery outlet on the UPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
??? Six days is six days over the end of the warranty period. Why have a time limit if it won't be enforced? Why would anyone expect a warranty to be in force after the expiration date?
Agree. I worked corporate auto for 25 years and it always amazed me that no one wanted to admit that at some point in time. They own the car, warts, problems and all...
Still with strategic whining and cajoling auto customer could get things covered, at times, way beyond the warranty period.
I know car vs TiVo not the same; but with my experience, I have nothing to lose by asking.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #19
trip1eX

Tell the agent that it would cut down on failures if they just told customers not to plug in their Tivos.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #20
b-ball-fanatic

I have no complaint that warranty coverage ends when the stated time period expires. I just think that 90 days is really pathetic, especially for something like a Roamio with lifetime service. That's a sizable purchase for most people.

And (much to my own recent dismay) TiVo offers no other kind of service for hardware issues (repair, referral, etc.) once that year of "limited" coverage is up. They don't fix them, they don't "authorize" anyone else to do so, and they don't offer any assurance that your lifetime service will remain valid after a third party attempts repairs. I feel that's a stunning lack of interest in the customer beyond selling them the box. Very bad customer service.

Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM   #21
jcthorne

Quote:
I have no complaint that warranty coverage ends when the stated time period expires. I just think that 90 days is really pathetic, especially for something like a Roamio with lifetime service. That's a sizable purchase for most people.

And (much to my own recent dismay) TiVo offers no other kind of service for hardware issues (repair, referral, etc.) once that year of "limited" coverage is up. They don't fix them, they don't "authorize" anyone else to do so, and they don't offer any assurance that your lifetime service will remain valid after a third party attempts repairs. I feel that's a stunning lack of interest in the customer beyond selling them the box. Very bad customer service.
Not true. After the 1 year warranty Tivo does indeed to out of warranty repairs. They ship a refurb unit for a flat fee on an exchange basis. If your Lifetime subscription is less than 3 years, they transfer it to the replacement. If its past 3 years and replacements of the same model are still available they will often transfer it still. They will not transfer service to a newer model.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #22
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The OP has been a member here since 2001 so I also assume he/she has been a Tivo subscriber for that long as well.

To answer your Q though it called customer service. Sure 6-days is 6-days but is that really the way to treat a long time customer? In my opinion it is not!

You do something, anything that goes a little above and beyond. Maybe since it's barely past by 6 whopping days they could have authorized a one-time, good faith, free replacement. Or maybe half off the $50. Something, anything to show they care about their customers.

In my opinion Tivo did nothing but the bare minimum required and I call that crappy customer service.

To each their own though.

Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #23
Kash76
Live TV?

I agree. There is policy and then the right thing to do. Companies who allow their people to do the right thing win their customers over. Red tape turns people away.

Former DirecTV TiVo User (ended in 2006). Ended DTV service in '15

Roamio Basic TiVo Lifetime Sub w/2TB drive using a Comcast Cablecard
2 TiVo Minis
TiVo Stream
Kash76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #24
drkmstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
I agree. There is policy and then the right thing to do. Companies who allow their people to do the right thing win their customers over. Red tape turns people away.
If they extend the warranty beyond 90 days for one person they have to do it for everyone. Then where do you stop 10 days, 30 days etc...? You will always have one person who is close but over the time limit. As a business you have to have an end date and you legally have to hold to it.

There are two issues: Should Tivo extend their base 90 day warranty? which is separate from Should Tivo have a "x" day grace period beyond warranty expiration?

Lots of companies have policies for out of warranty allowances that require the customer to pay something.

drkmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #25
Kash76
Live TV?

It's all dependent on the customer. For example, I work for an airline and had a neighbor call me the other day because he was so happy with my employer talking care of him and refunding tickets due to a dying family member. My company had no obligation to do so but did it because it was the right thing to do.

Putting this into perspective nobody is dying but this customer may now think twice about buying or recommending TiVo based on this experience which has little cost to the company to make him a very happy customer.

2 TiVo Minis
TiVo Stream
Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #26
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkmstr View Post
If they extend the warranty beyond 90 days for one person they have to do it for everyone. Then where do you stop 10 days, 30 days etc...? You will always have one person who is close but over the time limit. As a business you have to have an end date and you legally have to hold to it.

There are two issues: Should Tivo extend their base 90 day warranty? which is separate from Should Tivo have a "x" day grace period beyond warranty expiration?

Lots of companies have policies for out of warranty allowances that require the customer to pay something.
There is the exact letter of the policy then there is customer satisfaction. This Tivo was not a month past, it was not 3 months past, it was a whopping and a measly 6-days!

I have a few non Tivo instances where companies have went outside their written policy to assist me.

1. Google: My Nexus 5 had a 12 month warranty. At about month 13 it developed a screen issue. I called Google to see what could be done. I was fully expecting them to charge me a fee to repair it or tell me I was out of luck. Guess what? They replaced it under the factory warranty even though it was a full month past. It didn't cost me a cent and they even paid to ship the new phone and return the faulty one.

2. Magellan: I purchased a cycling computer which was damaged by me on accident. The screen was broken and the housing damaged. I called them to ask about repairs expecting to pay for a new screen and housing. Guess what? They sent me a brand new unit for free as a one time good faith option. I paid for shipping on the new and return shipping on the broken one. Still = stellar customer support!

Tivo can't waive a $50 fee as a one time good faith option for what may be a long time faithful customer? Sorry but I have to call either BS, greed or just plain ole crappy customer support..

My .02

Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #27
b-ball-fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Not true. After the 1 year warranty Tivo does indeed to out of warranty repairs. They ship a refurb unit for a flat fee on an exchange basis. If your Lifetime subscription is less than 3 years, they transfer it to the replacement. If its past 3 years and replacements of the same model are still available they will often transfer it still. They will not transfer service to a newer model.
Can I get that in writing please? From TiVo?
That is not the information I recently got from them. Here are their current policies as described by a very friendly (and somewhat sheepishly apologetic) CSR just last week:
  1. TiVo doesn't service or repair TiVo hardware at all. They don't "deal with hardware" anymore.
  2. During the warranty period, they'll replace a machine that won't cold boot with a refurbished unit. Only. There is no repair option, and no option that preserves your data, regardless of the nature of the hardware failure.
  3. At their discretion, TiVo will replace with a refurbished unit for a fee after the official warranty expiration. He couldn't specify exactly what factors they consider, nor confirm whether it included things like customer history, age of unit, etc.
  4. If you attempt to preserve your data by removing or cloning the hard drive, you will lose all access to their replacement policy. (I got the impression, though he wasn't explicit, that this applies to most measures a user might take to troubleshoot problems, as he cited the example of people who have tested their TiVo's power supply or replaced the fan.....)
  5. 3rd party repairs shouldn't impact the lifetime service, but since TiVo isn't involved in or authorizing the work done, they cannot guarantee it. (For this one, he put me on hold to go confirm with a supervisor.)

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #28
Kash76
Live TV?

I will add that I called them recently - I ordered a Roamio Basic and Mini from them with the Friends and Family deal. Part of that deal allows for the purchase of a slider remote for $35 w/free shipping. I called TiVo to say that I regret not ordering the slider remote as part of my original order and asked if there was anything that they could do. She looked for a moment and offered nothing.

Now, this is my own fault but I did just drop hundreds of dollars including lifetime service. She didn't offer to waive shipping or anything on the $50 regular price. I was not happy when I got off the phone (knowing fully that it's my fault for not taking advantage when I had the chance) only because there was no effort to accommodate a wish all while I am within my 30 day guarantee.

I really just want a second remote for watching a TV near my bar that is tied to the Roamio Basic. Sadly, I may just purchase a Roamio OTA which will cost TiVo more money than it would have to ship the slider for free as they will never make money on the OTA and I get the remote that I need.

2 TiVo Minis
TiVo Stream
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #29
raqball

I'll share my recent Tivo customer service fiasco.

I originally purchased the Roamio OTA only version to test out as I've never had a Tivo before. After a few weeks I decided I liked it and ordered a Roamio with lifetime service using a spherular code.

After the lifetime Roamio arrived I called to cancel service on the OTA so I would not be charged the $15 a month. The rep accidentally cancelled the lifetime'd Tivo.

I called back once I noticed the Tivo was not working and I was told the lifetime, that I just received that day, had been cancelled and there was nothing they could do since it was purchased under a special offer.

Tivo said the only thing I could do was return one that they accidentally cancelled and order another. I did end up doing just that which required me to buy another spherular code.

To make a long story short Tivo offered me nothing for this screw up. Nothing, nadda, zilch! They could have offered some sort of refund back to my card or maybe store credit for an accessory. They offered nothing and yes it left a very sour taste in my mouth..

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM   #30
Kash76
Live TV?

That's a waste of everyone's time. It's that kind of lack of enabling customer service people to do the right thing that ruins it for customers.

The loss for TiVo in that example resulted in a refurb. Why would you do that to yourself as a company? That's pure stupidity.

2 TiVo Minis
TiVo Stream
Thanks For This Post: