TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
DawnW

Do you buy the extended warranty?

I have the Roamio and have had it for a couple of weeks now.

Twice it has had glitches and I honestly don't know if it is the machine or the cable coming in, but it makes me nervous.

We typically don't buy extended warranties on these sorts of things, but I am wondering if I should.

Dawn

Last edited by DawnW : 01-24-2015 at 03:53 PM.
DawnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

It's not worth it. You'd be better off buying an uninterrupted power supply. Usually what fails is the hard drive, and that is an easy fix. And if your Roamio has lifetime service on it and no warranty, TiVo is generally pretty lenient on letting you buy a replacement unit at a considerable discount.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-24-2015 at 04:10 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
pfiagra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I have the Roamio and have had it for a couple of weeks now.

Twice it has glitches and I honestly don't know if it is the machine or the cable coming in, but it makes me nervous.

We typically don't buy extended warranties on these sorts of things, but I am wondering if I should.

Dawn
I have purchased the warranty, both for my Premiere three years ago and the Roamio I bought last month.

Also, since the warranty is also transferable, I was able to state that my Premiere (with lifetime, of course) still had six weeks left of the warranty, which added to its value when I sold it.

pfiagra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
joewom

I did for one of my roamios. The main one and I just bought a premier xl4 that has a one year warranty left and that was a prime factor I bought it. Well and it cane with lifetime.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
joewom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I did for our two Roamio Pros. For $40/ea I was able to insure boxes that cost $1,100 each. Now I know that if they were to break I could probably fix them myself, or pay TiVo their out of warranty repair fee, for less then they cost to buy but it's still more then the warranty so it seemed worth it to me.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

Never, for any product, ever. Essentially pure profit for the seller. Very few electronics fail, self-insuring is the winner here.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
It's not worth it. You'd be better off buying an uninterrupted power supply. Usually what fails is the hard drive, and that is an easy fix. And if your Roamio has lifetime service on it and no warranty, TiVo is generally pretty lenient on letting you buy a replacement unit at a considerable discount.
It's not an either/or proposition. I would highly recommend using a UPS for your DVR--both to protect the electronics from power surges and to ensure uninterrupted operation so that you don't lose recordings due to power outages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Never, for any product, ever. Essentially pure profit for the seller. Very few electronics fail, self-insuring is the winner here.
This is far too dogmatic a statement. While it is unquestionably true that extended warranties are a very profitable item for most retailers and that self-insuring is usually more cost-effective for the buyer of most products, there are times when an extended warranty is a sensible option. Given the high cost of the PLS which is tied to the TiVo, this is one instance where you could argue that a $40 3-year EW (and the peace of mind it offers) should be given consideration.

As a rule, I never bite on EW's but, like Dan, I did get one for my Premiere Elite because $40 over 3 years seemed like a reasonable investment to protect my $809 purchase.

chiguy50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
joewom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
It's not an either/or proposition. I would highly recommend using a UPS for your DVR--both to protect the electronics from power surges and to ensure uninterrupted operation so that you don't lose recordings due to power outages.

This is far too dogmatic a statement. While it is unquestionably true that extended warranties are a very profitable item for most retailers and that self-insuring is usually more cost-effective for the buyer of most products, there are times when an extended warranty is a sensible option. Given the high cost of the PLS which is tied to the TiVo, this is one instance where you could argue that a $40 3-year EW (and the peace of mind it offers) should be given consideration.

As a rule, I never bite on EW's but, like Dan, I did get one for my Premiere Elite because $40 over 3 years seemed like a reasonable investment to protect my $809 purchase.
Agreed I usually do not buy ew for anything but as was stated it was worth it in this case.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 01-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
tarheelblue32

Quote:
A company is never going to sell a warranty that they will lose money on. If you can afford to self-insure, then you should do so. The only time you should buy a warranty is if you could not afford to replace whatever it is you are insuring.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

The fees tivo typically offers to transfer such service is around $150, not the thousands often feared.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The fees tivo typically offers to transfer such service is around $150, not the thousands often feared.
Exactly. So you're paying $40 today for a small chance of saving $150 at some unspecified point in the future. The failure rate of TiVos would have to be at least 25% before the math would start to make any sense, and the failure rate is nowhere near that high.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
FitzAusTex

$25 at best buy for 4 years coverage was an awesome value to me. I'd probably be able to afford to replace out of pocket, but perhaps not. 4 years is a long time and perhaps I won't have the funds to replace in the future. I'm very careful with my stuff, but stuff happens. Spent $28 to cover the tablet that I'm typing this reply on that died in December. Repaired and back to me in 9 days, which was faster than trying to locate a new Nexus 7, since it's been discontinued. Just saying...

FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
jcthorne

Quote:

Except its $40 for three years protection against the $99 or $149 repair fee only. And its one time use. Coverage ends on first use not 3 yrs.

The warranty does not offer any additional protection against the cost of the subscription. That is transferred to the repaired unit no matter if its covered by the extended warranty or by you.

I have owned and used Tivos since 2000 (Sony Series One). During that 15 year span I have had to send in ONE tivo for repair. And even though it was well past the 90 days, tivo exchanged it for no charge and transferred my lifetime sub. (this was a Roamio basic with a failed tuner).

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jcthorne : 01-25-2015 at 04:10 PM.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #14
heifer624

I didn't buy the warranty since my Roamio Plus came with the New Continual Care warranty.

TiVo’s Continual Care warranty covers your TiVo Roamio for the uninterrupted duration of your monthly or annual TiVo service subscription. With Continual Care protection, we’ll send you a replacement at no charge if your TiVo Roamio box needs repair within the first 90 days from your date of purchase.* After 90 days, you’ll receive a replacement DVR for just $49.00.** No one else in the industry offers protection like this.

heifer624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
DawnW

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifer624 View Post
I didn't buy the warranty since my Roamio Plus came with the New Continual Care warranty.

TiVo’s Continual Care warranty covers your TiVo Roamio for the uninterrupted duration of your monthly or annual TiVo service subscription. With Continual Care protection, we’ll send you a replacement at no charge if your TiVo Roamio box needs repair within the first 90 days from your date of purchase.* After 90 days, you’ll receive a replacement DVR for just $49.00.** No one else in the industry offers protection like this.

Sounds like I wouldn't be covered with a lifetime.

DawnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #16
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Sounds like I wouldn't be covered with a lifetime.
With lifetime, you get the standard warranty: 90 days parts and labor, 1 year parts. Most major credit cards will double manufacturer's warranties on consumer electronics if you use the card to make the purchase.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-25-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #17
Bytez

I bought a 3 year warranty for my Plus.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #18
ncted
A leaf on the wind

As a rule, I do not buy extended warranties, and I did not on my Roamio or Mini, but I did on my 64 inch plasma because I know it can be difficult to get post-warranty repairs done from past experience. It has already paid for itself. When the wi-fi card went at 13 months in, causing the TV to be unusable, having the $240 warranty covered the $400 on-site repair. YMMV of course.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:47 AM   #19
ej42137

Discussions like this used to make me very angry. I saw innumerate people talking others for whom math was hard into wasting their money by taking the wrong end of a sucker's bet.

But I have had an epiphany!

I now understand that these folks are selflessly contributing to the financial health of TiVo, which we all know is precarious at times! So I applaud their generosity; and encourage you all to do the same! In the long run you will be poorer in financial terms but you will have done service to the rest of us by keeping TiVo fiscally sound!

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 AM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Discussions like this used to make me very angry. I saw innumerate people talking others for whom math was hard into wasting their money by taking the wrong end of a sucker's bet.

But I have had an epiphany!

I now understand that these folks are selflessly contributing to the financial health of TiVo, which we all know is precarious at times! So I applaud their generosity; and encourage you all to do the same! In the long run you will be poorer in financial terms but you will have done service to the rest of us by keeping TiVo fiscally sound!
I honestly don't think it's that bad of a deal. TiVo charges like $150-$200 for out of warranty repair. Even if it's just a HDD that dies it would cost you about $120 to replace it yourself. So $40 for 3 years isn't that bad if you actually end up using it. Plus if you sell the TiVo before the warranty expires it actually increases the resale value.

If you never end up using it then it's a waste, but it's relatively cheap compared to the price of the unit so seems like cheap insurance to me.

That being said I'd only buy it if I were buying a Roamio Plus or Pro with lifetime. The Basic is cheap and if you really needed to you could buy an OTA for $50 and use it for parts to repair your Basic. The Mini has no moving parts and is cheap enough that the warranty doesn't make sense at all.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #21
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I honestly don't think it's that bad of a deal. TiVo charges like $150-$200 for out of warranty repair. Even if it's just a HDD that dies it would cost you about $120 to replace it yourself. So $40 for 3 years isn't that bad if you actually end up using it. Plus if you sell the TiVo before the warranty expires it actually increases the resale value.

If you never end up using it then it's a waste, but it's relatively cheap compared to the price of the unit so seems like cheap insurance to me.

That being said I'd only buy it if I were buying a Roamio Plus or Pro with lifetime. The Basic is cheap and if you really needed to you could buy an OTA for $50 and use it for parts to repair your Basic. The Mini has no moving parts and is cheap enough that the warranty doesn't make sense at all.
I fully concur with the above.

In the final analysis, whether to buy an EW for a PLS'ed TiVo is a subjective decision since no one can predict the future (anyone can afford to self-insure if you know that your exposure to risk is minimal), nor can one assign a value to the "peace of mind" factor (the warranty guarantees that your defective product will be repaired/replaced by TiVo under the terms of the EW).

EW's, like almost all insurance products, are designed to both (1) make a profit for the seller and (2) save the insured money if/when he suffers a covered loss. These conflicting objectives are achieved by spreading the risk over a pool of policyholders; those that never file a claim are in essence subsidizing the coverage for those who suffer catastrophic losses. But you will never know which camp you fall into until the end of the policy period.

chiguy50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #22
tarheelblue32

Quote:

If I told you that if you loan me $40 today, there is a 1% chance that I would return sometime in the next 3 years to pay you back $150, would you take that deal? Because that is essentially the deal you are taking. It's a bad deal.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If I told you that if you loan me $40 today, there is a 1% chance that I would return sometime in the next 3 years to pay you back $150, would you take that deal? Because that is essentially the deal you are taking. It's a bad deal.
$40 means almost nothing to me. I have more then that in pennies in the jar next to my bed. To me it's a convenience fee. I pay $40 and for the next 3 years if anything goes wrong with my TiVo I call them up, they send me a new one, I swap it out and I'm up and running again. If I never use it then oh well, I'll never miss the money anyway.

I suspect that most people buying an $1,100 TiVo are in a similar position as to how $40 will really effect their lives.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #24
tarheelblue32

Quote:
$40 means almost nothing to me. I have more then that in pennies in the jar next to my bed. To me it's a convenience fee. I pay $40 and for the next 3 years if anything goes wrong with my TiVo I call them up, they send me a new one, I swap it out and I'm up and running again. If I never use it then oh well, I'll never miss the money anyway.

I suspect that most people buying an $1,100 TiVo are in a similar position as to how $40 will really effect their lives.
If $40 is almost nothing to you, then I suspect $150 is almost nothing to you as well.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If $40 is almost nothing to you, then I suspect $150 is almost nothing to you as well.
Yes, but $40 is less.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #26
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Yes, but $40 is less.
LOL okay, well I think I'm just going to borrow ej42137's philosophy and say that if you want to give TiVo more of your money to help keep them afloat, that's okay in my book.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #27
jrtroo
User

Yep. They really need to teach more basic finance in school. If someone wants to voluntarily subsidize me, let them.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #28
joewom

Everyone that thinks they are experts in money kill me. Why don't you self insure everything then? Some people can't pay out of pocket and or know how to fix simple things on electronics. 40 is better then 100's. Why do you pay car insurance that's the biggest waste of money if you want to get down to it? Self insure! But you can't because you don't have 100,000 of thousands to sit in an escrow. Again most ew are not a good deal to most but some peace and mind is priceless. There are things I can do perfectly well myself yet I pay others to do it why because it's not worth my time and easier to pay others. That's a waste of money yet I and many others do it. Let's agree to say it's worth it to some. I grew up in NJ and paid tolls. I could have easily avoided them but it's easier and less time to use toll roads so I wasted money and used them. We all do crap like that so please don't act like you don't waste money either on a ew or something else!

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #29
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewom View Post
Everyone that thinks they are experts in money kill me. Why don't you self insure everything then? Some people can't pay out of pocket and or know how to fix simple things on electronics. 40 is better then 100's. Why do you pay car insurance that's the biggest waste of money if you want to get down to it? Self insure!
Actually, from a purely financial standpoint, anytime you can afford to self-insure, you should. For car insurance, the only thing I have on that is liability coverage, which states require you have to register your vehicle. Having to pay for a replacement car would certainly ruin my day, but I can afford to absorb that loss if necessary. And the money I have saved over the years in not paying for car insurance I didn't need would more than pay for a replacement vehicle at this point.

There are also tax benefits to self-insuring. If you wreck your car and it was your fault and you don't have insurance, you get to deduct the fair market value on your taxes as a casualty loss. If you don't buy the insurance your TiVo, I see no reason why you couldn't deduct the value of your TiVo on your taxes too, assuming you itemize.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #30
joewom

Quote:
Actually, from a purely financial standpoint, anytime you can afford to self-insure, you should. For car insurance, the only thing I have on that is liability coverage, which states require you have to register your vehicle. Having to pay for a replacement car would certainly ruin my day, but I can afford to absorb that loss if necessary. And the money I have saved over the years in not paying for car insurance I didn't need would more than pay for a replacement vehicle at this point.

There are also tax benefits to self-insuring. If you wreck your car and it was your fault and you don't have insurance, you get to deduct the fair market value on your taxes as a casualty loss. If you don't buy the insurance your TiVo, I see no reason why you couldn't deduct the value of your TiVo on your taxes too, assuming you itemize.
I get it just don't like the one size fits all. Most states allow you to self insure liability also. Just have to put at least the state min in a secured account. If you can it makes sense you earn interest and don't have to pay insurance if you don't wreck. But as I said 40 to allot is better then 100's they may have to pay latter they might not have latter.

Mini X6 - Lifetime