TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
rickyTV

Question 20.4.6 no folders in my shows (option C) gone?

Just got the new release. What happened to the option to unfold the folders (believe it was option key C)

rickyTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyTV View Post
Just got the new release. What happened to the option to unfold the folders (believe it was option key C)
Gone.

RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's gone. Groups are always on now because without them the streaming option wouldn't work, especially with shows that didn't have any current episodes.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
pppingme

Horrible way to go. Seems like the better fix would be to just not show the extra stuff when grouping was turned off. Now its VERY HARD to find older shows that are accumulating.

pppingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
CG_Allred

I'm irritated at the loss of this option too. My wife and I watch our recordings in chronological order. Now watching one of our shows each night is going to be an exercise in frustration.

I know folks from TiVo read these forums. Please restore the ability to unground the "My Shows" list. I like the suggestion of suppressing streamed episodes in that view.

CG_Allred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppingme View Post
Horrible way to go. Seems like the better fix would be to just not show the extra stuff when grouping was turned off.
Yeah that does seem like a logical way to do it, not sure why they didn't.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah that does seem like a logical way to do it, not sure why they didn't.
See figure 1.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:44 AM   #8
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG_Allred View Post
I'm irritated at the loss of this option too. My wife and I watch our recordings in chronological order. Now watching one of our shows each night is going to be an exercise in frustration.

I know folks from TiVo read these forums. Please restore the ability to unground the "My Shows" list. I like the suggestion of suppressing streamed episodes in that view.
I'm curious as to why you do this. I personally don't see any reason to watch unrelated shows in any order other than what I feel like watching next; I'm not saying your reasons aren't valid, I'm just really mystified as to what they are.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:41 AM   #9
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I'm curious as to why you do this. I personally don't see any reason to watch unrelated shows in any order other than what I feel like watching next; I'm not saying your reasons aren't valid, I'm just really mystified as to what they are.
I watch a lot of news shows, and it's better to watch those in order. And even for pure entertainment, (as pppingme said) forced grouping makes it more work to go back and catch up on the accumulation of older shows you didn't have time to watch when they were first recorded, so you don't get too far behind.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
elwaylite

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I watch a lot of news shows, and it's better to watch those in order. And even for pure entertainment, (as pppingme said) forced grouping makes it more work to go back and catch up on the accumulation of older shows you didn't have time to watch when they were first recorded, so you don't get too far behind.

I record about 20 new OTA shows a week, and am right now watching stuff from 12/15/14. Imagine how easy it is not to watch stuff in order (not)...

Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
CG_Allred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I'm curious as to why you do this. I personally don't see any reason to watch unrelated shows in any order other than what I feel like watching next...
To each his own I guess. Watching shows in broadcast order gives us a framework for deciding what's next. We'll occasionally jump the queue if we really feel like watching a particular show, but most of the time it just makes things easier at the end of a long day. There's no "what do you want to watch?"... "I don't know... what do you want to watch?"

It's the way we've been doing it for years and it is irritating to have features taken away.

CG_Allred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG_Allred View Post
There's no "what do you want to watch?"... "I don't know... what do you want to watch?"
Isn't that the whole point of a DVR? Having choice?

Watching things in the order they were recorded, even if I don't feel like watching it, seems odd. What if I'm in the mood for a comedy but the oldest recordings are all crime dramas? Too bad, must watch in order!

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post

Watching things in the order they were recorded, even if I don't feel like watching it, seems odd. What if I'm in the mood for a comedy but the oldest recordings are all crime dramas? Too bad, must watch in order!

Then I expect if a change were made which made it difficultf for you to do other than watch programs in order of recording you would be as distressed as CG_Allred is.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Then I expect if a change were made which made it difficultf for you to do other than watch programs in order of recording you would be as distressed as CG_Allred is.
I never said they should have removed the ability to turn off groups.

I just don't understand why you would force yourself to watch TV in the order it was aired, if you have a DVR. You might as well get rid of choosing shows and just have a bunch of 24 hour buffers.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
RoyK

Quote:
I never said they should have removed the ability to turn off groups.

I just don't understand why you would force yourself to watch TV in the order it was aired, if you have a DVR. You might as well get rid of choosing shows and just have a bunch of 24 hour buffers.
I can't understand how people can stand to eat oysters but I have no problem accepting that they do.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
Then why do you have such a problem with someone who chooses to utilize their DVR in that way?

Quote:

I take it that you are the only one watching.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #17
pppingme

Quote:
No, it has nothing to do with choice, it has everything to do with time, I'm not going to be bound by the schedules of major networks. They very simply do not meet my lifestyle.

pppingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppingme View Post
No, it has nothing to do with choice, it has everything to do with time, I'm not going to be bound by the schedules of major networks. They very simply do not meet my lifestyle.
Then why are you watching shows in the order that the major networks chose?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #19
ertyu

I'd like this option back too.

ertyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
gregbennett

I posted this in the Release Notes thread but will add it here also...

Add me to the group that misses being able to ungroup shows. I basically record everything and then transfer a lot of it off the TiVo for later editing and watching. After I transfer the shows I turn groups off and go down the My Shows list and hit delete in a matter of seconds. Now I have to go into each shows folder to delete them.

Luckily my Premiere has not been updated yet so I can still get the Roamio's ungrouped list there.

gregbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #21
swt2c

Not happy about this. WTF, Tivo?

swt2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #22
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbennett View Post
I posted this in the Release Notes thread but will add it here also...

Add me to the group that misses being able to ungroup shows. I basically record everything and then transfer a lot of it off the TiVo for later editing and watching. After I transfer the shows I turn groups off and go down the My Shows list and hit delete in a matter of seconds. Now I have to go into each shows folder to delete them.

Luckily my Premiere has not been updated yet so I can still get the Roamio's ungrouped list there.
With kmttg you can download your Now Playing list from your Roamio and still choose whether or not you want to have folders (ie, you can group or ungroup). More sort options too. kmttg lets you delete shows on your Roamio. If you aren't using kmttg, how are you transferring shows to your PC?

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:25 AM   #23
abbydancer

Due to frequent travel, we are way behind in our shows, and watch in order recorded. Sometimes, we'll jump around, but we could just turn on folders if we want to do that. And it's not up to TIVO to decide how I want to watch tv. Wasn't the whole point of TIVO to let you control how you do it?

I emailed support about this. Generally software updates don't remove things. I don't suppose there is a supported way to back this out? Maybe everyone should contact support.

abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 AM   #24
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydancer View Post
Due to frequent travel, we are way behind in our shows, and watch in order recorded. Sometimes, we'll jump around, but we could just turn on folders if we want to do that.
So I'm still not seeing the benefit here. For me, this would be like checking out 10 books from the library and reading a chapter from each in turn instead of reading them front to back. When I go on a long trip and multiple episodes are piled up, I take great pleasure in watching all the episodes in a group before going on to the next unwatched series. I consider it a great convenience to have all the episodes in one place to watch back-to-back and would never turn off groups for that reason.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is no benefit to this scheme or and I'm certainly not attacking anyone for following it, I'm just wondering what it is that people that follow this scheme are getting out of it?

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #25
gregbennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
With kmttg you can download your Now Playing list from your Roamio and still choose whether or not you want to have folders (ie, you can group or ungroup). More sort options too. kmttg lets you delete shows on your Roamio. If you aren't using kmttg, how are you transferring shows to your PC?
Thanks!! I didn't realize you could delete through kmttg, I will check it out. I tried kmttg awhile ago but have just been using TiVo Desktop software to transfer the shows to my PC.

-Greg

gregbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #26
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydancer View Post
Wasn't the whole point of TIVO to let you control how you do it?
They now only need to remove the first "Y" from their original slogan of "TiVo: TV Your Way"!

bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #27
JamesBritt

I am yet another who is dumbfounded by Tivo's removal of choice about grouping.

I've submitted a complaint, I've gone through the "request new feature" [sic] form.

This reeks of laziness and indifference to their users. Rather than figure out a way to keep this grouping optional while rolling out OnePass they took the lazy route and just removed it.

Tivo seems determined that customers will use Tivo in a very specific way, and too bad if you wanted TV your way.

Not generally a fan of Cox but now I'm much more inclined to check out their Contour service and see if it offers a better user experience.

I wonder if Tivo is freaking out over "cord cutters" and are acting in haste out of fear their service won't seem relevant for people who favor Hulu or Netflix over cable.

OnePass solves problems I don't have and creates problems I don't want.

JamesBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #28
Arcady
Stargate Fan

"Cord cutters" will eventually stop spending money on hats and micro-brews and pay for cable TV. Or whatever replaces cable TV. It won't be purely OTA.

I don't see any technical reason to keep us from using My Shows without folders turned on. Just have an option show the list without any of the streaming stuff. Call it "Groups Off - Recordings Only" and get over it.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #29
abbydancer

I had a chat with a support person today. He said that if there enough requests to bring it back via their form, they will probably implement it. He also told me that a lot of people are unhappy. So, please contact them and fill out the form. I did, in my comments, say that good software practice is to never remove functionality, which is what this is.

I don't know if I can put the link here, but I will if I can. If not, I guess you can message me and I'll send it.

abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #30
rickyTV

One significant reason to use this feature is when one records several sporting events. If you don't watch these in time order you are very likely to run into a spoiler for the earlier event.

For example, I have season passes for college basketball and pro golf. These often follow each other on the same channel, and the last couple of minutes of the game are usually shown on the first few minutes of the golf match.

Years ago, when I used to attend computer manufacturer conventions, we used to refer to this as the "why would anyone want to do that" syndrome.

So, how does one send in a complaint that will get listened to?

rickyTV is offline   Reply With Quote