TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
JackStraw

Verizon cablecard problem

I have had a Verizon FIOS cablecard for about 5 years. Used it first in my TIVO Premiere and currently in my Roamio Pro. Tonight it de-authorized itself. Never have had it happen before. I have Verizon FIOS STB in another room in my house and there was no issue at the same time my TIVO stopped working. I called Verizon and their automated system was able to fix it. Took about 1/2 an hour. The weird thing was I recording on four channels at the time and even though the screen was black on the channels it recorded two of the shows in their entirety. The other two were partial recordings and no signal was getting through. The message on the TIVO was something in regards to #161, whatever that is. Anyone have any idea what would have caused this. I have had the cable go out at my house several times over the last 5 years but nothing as bizarre as this.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
benfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I have had a Verizon FIOS cablecard for about 5 years. Used it first in my TIVO Premiere and currently in my Roamio Pro. Tonight it de-authorized itself. Never have had it happen before. I have Verizon FIOS STB in another room in my house and there was no issue at the same time my TIVO stopped working. I called Verizon and their automated system was able to fix it. Took about 1/2 an hour. The weird thing was I recording on four channels at the time and even though the screen was black on the channels it recorded two of the shows in their entirety. The other two were partial recordings and no signal was getting through. The message on the TIVO was something in regards to #161, whatever that is. Anyone have any idea what would have caused this. I have had the cable go out at my house several times over the last 5 years but nothing as bizarre as this.
Sorry this happened to you at the worst possible time (strike with substitute customer service reps.). That being said, you wouldn't be the first to have a cable card suddenly stop pairing (you mentioned it did happen to you before, and it can happen for a silly number of reasons). Your Romaio won't likely notice it happens and stop recording, in my experience. Assuming you do know how to get to your cable card's settings screen (to stop this from happening again), try to get a decent CSR on the phone (again, sorry for the timing) and pull up the pairing menu. Be sure that whoever is on the phone enters the "Host ID" into the "POD" field (they call "Host" "POD" at Verizon, nobody knows why). Otherwise, all of the fields will match. Good luck.

benfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #3
JackStraw

My card unpaired again today. That is the second time in 10 days. I call FIOS, they unpaired and paired the card. I rebooted the TIVO and I got my channels back. I then called TIVO and ask them if they were aware of any FIOS problems.
I gave the tech some information and he said my SNR was too high at 43. He said I should put an attenuator on the cable line to 35 or less. Does this sound like a good solution or should I just order another M-Card from Verizon.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
My card unpaired again today. That is the second time in 10 days. I call FIOS, they unpaired and paired the card. I rebooted the TIVO and I got my channels back. I then called TIVO and ask them if they were aware of any FIOS problems.
I gave the tech some information and he said my SNR was too high at 43. He said I should put an attenuator on the cable line to 35 or less. Does this sound like a good solution or should I just order another M-Card from Verizon.
The Tech is crazy. But that's a really high SNR. Logic says you are good, but I would try a splitter or attenuator to get about 36 dB. However, I don't have FiOS, so I could be wrong. Wait for a FiOS person to respond.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
fcfc2

Quote:
Whenever tivo doesn't have any real idea what if anything is wrong they tell you your SNR is too high. While too strong a signal can cause picture issues, I have never heard of it deauthorizing a cable card, but if you think it is the problem, I would try just adding a splitter or 2, a bit easier to find than attenuators.
It may be a coincidence, but the fact that this is happening when Verizon is on strike makes me suspicious.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
JackStraw

Reading some other threads. TIVO techs apparently use the attenuator fix like when your grandmother would tell you chicken noodle soup would cure anything that ails you. I really don't what is happening. I was recording a movie at 7am. It stopped recording about 1/2 way through. I wasn't aware of it but my cable was working fine at when I left the house at 9am. When i got home in the afternoon I had no picture and was getting the V58 code on all channels. The weird thing though is if I left the tuner on a channel I would get a picture and sound after about 5 minutes. When I went to another channel I would get black screen again. The first agent I was talking to at TIVO was mentioning changes to due to Verizon selling to Frontier in some parts of the country. That is not the case in NJ.

I thought about the strikers causing some problems because I never had an issue before the strike started. I wonder if Verizon is doing some kind of updates causing M-Card issues and they are being done by techs who aren't versed in what they are suppose to do. I dread having to call Verizon again while this strike is going on.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
benfrog

Quote:
Reading some other threads. TIVO techs apparently use the attenuator fix like when your grandmother would tell you chicken noodle soup would cure anything that ails you. I really don't what is happening. I was recording a movie at 7am. It stopped recording about 1/2 way through. I wasn't aware of it but my cable was working fine at when I left the house at 9am. When i got home in the afternoon I had no picture and was getting the V58 code on all channels. The weird thing though is if I left the tuner on a channel I would get a picture and sound after about 5 minutes. When I went to another channel I would get black screen again. The first agent I was talking to at TIVO was mentioning changes to due to Verizon selling to Frontier in some parts of the country. That is not the case in NJ.

I thought about the strikers causing some problems because I never had an issue before the strike started. I wonder if Verizon is doing some kind of updates causing M-Card issues and they are being done by techs who aren't versed in what they are suppose to do. I dread having to call Verizon again while this strike is going on.
Yeah, the timing of this sucks, and it's hard to tell if it's the root cause or not (sounds like I might be, although I haven't had any problems here in MA [knocks on something vaguely wooden]). The regular FiOS CSR's are pretty awesome compared to the industry average when it comes to cable card knowledge, but I'm betting that's not the case with the scabs. M-Cards are somewhat tough to keep paired based upon my experience both with and without FiOS. Hope you can get this fixed...

benfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #8
rainwater

The attentuator won't hurt. In the meantime, I would get a replacement cablecard. Then you take those two possible issues out of the equation.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote