TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Fios + Tivo and a whole bunch of small questions

#1. I just need a cable card for the Tivo? (I know I won't be able to get on-demand stuff)

#2. How many outputs does the Fios modem have? I'm assuming I would need one for each TV (with a Mini) and each computer that is not using wifi? Is this correct

#3. Are there any do-it-yourself alternatives to the Mini?

#4. I have an old DIrecTV DVR lying around. Account with DirecTV is not active. Is there anyway to extract the video on it and export it to the Roamio?

#5. Anything to make sure the install tech doesn't try to halfa$$? I won't be home for the install (Wife will be)

Thanks in advance!
702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Diana Collins

1) Correct

2) This is not an issue...the Roamio Plus and Pro and all Minis support MOCA, and if you have a Verizon router (there are no modems with FiOS) it has the MOCA bridge built in as well. Just attach coax to everything, configure all TiVo devices for MOCA networking and you'll be good to go.

3) Only thing I can think of is an iPhone with an HDMI adapter and the TiVo app. That would use the Stream built into the Roamio. Or, some kind of HDMI or component distribution.

4) Nope...encryption is different - you might get them transferred, but they won't play.

5) The only channels that are copy protected on FIOS are the HBO and Cinemax channels. For these the cable card must be paired to the TiVo. If your subscription includes these channels, make sure your wife verifies they are working. Everything else just requires the card to be active on your account, so if you get one, you should get all. Verizon is generally pretty easy, TiVo-wise.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

Slighty OT but how does internet work then for FiOS? I'm assuming it's still Ethernet cables?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702 View Post
Slighty OT but how does internet work then for FiOS? I'm assuming it's still Ethernet cables?
If you are using MoCA, then you are using your house's coax cables for internet. Alternatively, if your house is wired with cat5 ethernet cables, then you can use those.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Diana Collins

Quote:
Unless you go for the higher speed tiers (above 75Mbps) both TV and internet will likely enter your house on coax. The FiOS routers (made by Actiontec) have coax ports, so the incoming cable is run to the router. It then provides wired (Ethernet), wireless, and MOCA LAN support. This is the current "standard" installation.

Alternatively, you might have both coax and Ethernet come from the optical terminal, but all that means is two wires coming in, one for TV and one for broadband...both still go through the router. You might see this configuration if you subscribe to the faster broadband tiers, or if your house has had FiOS service in the past. For example, we first subscribed to FiOS before they offered TV service here, so we have separate Ethernet and coax feeds even though we subscribe to the 75Mbps service tier.

Of course, if you have Digital Voice as well, that's a third connection (to your home phone wires).

In any event, the FiOS techs are supposed to wire up the router to support all 3 topologies (wired, wireless and MOCA) so they will take care of whatever your install needs.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #6

Does anyone have a contact at FioS? I just added the cable card, and my package went up ~$25. They changed my base rate.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Only way to extract recordings from the Directivo, is to have an older one that's hackable and the recordings made after it was modified.

What installation are you referring to, Fios or TiVo? Or are you getting the TiVo though your cable co?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #8

The Fios one. My rate went up when I requested the card. It should be straightened out, but I'll found out shortly.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

There is one alternate to #3 - a full tivo box (such as the much improved premiere). It could make sense for a used box with lifetime...
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #10

Two more quick question. What is special about the slide remote?

Also does the Mini's come with remotes?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
dbenrosen

The slide remote has a keyboard.

Yes, the minis come with remotes.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Two more quick question. What is special about the slide remote?

Also does the Mini's come with remotes?

Thanks!
There are two versions of the slide remote, they are special because they both have full alphanumeric keyboards that "slide" out as they are the same form factor as the regular TiVo remote. The older remote uses a Bluetooth dongle while the newer Pro version uses the new RF built into the newer Roamio or it too can be ordered with a option dongle that allows it to wirk with Premiere Tivos. The slide remote just allows you to type info in directly rather than navigate with the arrow buttons.

Also the older slide remote had a design issue were if it was dropped too many times, it stopped working, this was caused by the bluetooth radio was attached as a separate daughter card inside the remote; common fix is to take it apart and reattach the card. Most likely this was why Tivo dropped the older style and came out with the "Pro" version, also the Pro version allows you to pull up the Tivo search function by just hitting the search button the remote while the older slide did not.

The Mini includes a remote, it's just the basic IR remote as the Mini does not have the newer RF capabilities like the Roamio does.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
...The Mini includes a remote, it's just the basic IR remote as the Mini does not have the newer RF capabilities like the Roamio does.
The Slide Pro remote's RF dongle does, however, work on the Mini as well. So, if you order a Slide Pro, always order the "Premiere" version, which will include the dongle.

The Mini includes the older Premiere style remote (it is much longer than the Roamio remote or the Slide Pro). It also has the "guide" button in a different place.