TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
skid71

Tuner allocation

How do I control what channels my Pro are buffering?

Thought it would buffer the last six channels entered. Obviously I'm ignorant on this.

Don't want to record any channel, just ping pong around watching different football games.
Thanks
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

Each tuner stays on the last channel it recorded. You of course can manually change the channels. Enter a channel number, let it tune to that channel. Then hit the Live TV button. That takes you to the next tuner. Enter channel, wait till it tines, hit Live TV again. Keep repeating till your tuners are buffering what you want it to buffer.

If you just keep entering channels, it only changes the current tuner.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
How do I control what channels my Pro are buffering?

Thought it would buffer the last six channels entered. Obviously I'm ignorant on this.

Don't want to record any channel, just ping pong around watching different football games.
Thanks
In order to what you want to do, you have to explicitly change tuners before entering the new channel.

It would be better to just go ahead and record the games. Too easy to accidentally lose the buffer(s) otherwise.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

And you know about "Info", down arrow to see what's currently on each tuner on one screen?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
fpirelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
In order to what you want to do, you have to explicitly change tuners before entering the new channel.

It would be better to just go ahead and record the games. Too easy to accidentally lose the buffer(s) otherwise.
Dumb question but how do you change tuners?
fpirelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpirelli View Post
Dumb question but how do you change tuners?
Hit the Live TV button.

You can also hit Info, and then down arrow once. You will see a list of what's on each tuner. Highlight the program/tuner you want to switch to and hit Select.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
fpirelli

Awesome. Thank you
fpirelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
kokishin

Quote:

Agree as well as Tivo only buffers each channel for the last 30 minutes.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
skid71

Great info. Appreciate your time and replies. Yeah, I do know about the Info button.
Thanks again!
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Agree as well as Tivo only buffers each channel for the last 30 minutes.
The added plus of just recording the game opposed to telling on the buffer, you essentially buffer the entire game.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
buckyswider

Interesting, thanks for the tip on info/down. Is there any way to do it from a mini?
buckyswider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
And you know about "Info", down arrow to see what's currently on each tuner on one screen?
Or you can just use the right arrow while watching TV and it does the same thing and brings up the same overlay menu. Easier on the thumb!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:16 AM   #13
humbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Or you can just use the right arrow while watching TV and it does the same thing and brings up the same overlay menu. Easier on the thumb!
I used to use the right arrow to bring up the overlay menu until I realized, after starting play on a new program or channel switch, I would have to wait for the channel/program banner to disappear before it would work. If you can't wait, hit clear, or left arrow quickly to remove the banner - if too slow, the left arrow takes you to the previous menu screen.

The Info button will always bring up the overlay menu even with the banner on-screen.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
FitzAusTex

The Enter button can be used to swap back and forth between the two most recently used tuners. However, there is an important caveat; maintaining your buffers will only work once you've cycled through all of your tuners (using the Live TV button). If you don't cycle through all the tuners, the Enter button acts like a last channel button and you lose your buffer.

With that caveat in mind, the Enter button is a really fast way to jump back and forth between two channels, like two football games. Faster than cycling between 4 or 6 tuners.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
The Enter button can be used to swap back and forth between the two most recently used tuners. However, there is an important caveat; maintaining your buffers will only work once you've cycled through all of your tuners (using the Live TV button). If you don't cycle through all the tuners, the Enter button acts like a last channel button and you lose your buffer.

With that caveat in mind, the Enter button is a really fast way to jump back and forth between two channels, like two football games. Faster than cycling between 4 or 6 tuners.
Actually, the Enter/Last button will perfrom whatever the last tuner action was. If the last action was to change the channel on the active tuner, it will change back. If the last action was to switch to another tuner, it will switch back. There is absolutely no reason to "cycle through all the tuners" and is in fact pointless since you have to explicitly select the other tuner (call it tuner B) while tuner A is the active tuner.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #16
kokishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
The added plus of just recording the game opposed to telling on the buffer, you essentially buffer the entire game.
Exactly Pam!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #17
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Actually, the Enter/Last button will perfrom whatever the last tuner action was. If the last action was to change the channel on the active tuner, it will change back. If the last action was to switch to another tuner, it will switch back. There is absolutely no reason to "cycle through all the tuners" and is in fact pointless since you have to explicitly select the other tuner (call it tuner B) while tuner A is the active tuner.
net, net is if I don't cycle through them, then Enter acts like a last channel button and my buffer gets dumped. If I cycle through my tuners then I am not at risk of dumping my buffers. So perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but perhaps you are misunderstanding me. At any rate, why don't you tell us how we can swap btwn two (only) tuners without dumping the buffers on those 2 channels.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

They only way to do it for sure is to record what is on both channels. Otherwise, just one errant button press, and you will lose what is in the buffer. It's digital. it's much easier to just record. The TiVo will delete it on it's own or you can delete it yourself. Eitherway it's much easier than messing around with going between buffers. You just record ANYTHING you might want to see. You don't have to watch everything you record.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 11-24-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling....doH!!!!
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
net, net is if I don't cycle through them, then Enter acts like a last channel button and my buffer gets dumped. If I cycle through my tuners then I am not at risk of dumping my buffers. So perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but perhaps you are misunderstanding me. At any rate, why don't you tell us how we can swap btwn two (only) tuners without dumping the buffers on those 2 channels.
You're on tuner A, bring up the info screen, down arrow to whatever you want to be tuner B, select it. At this point, Enter/Last will swap between the two tuners.

Ponimayu, tovarishch?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
You're on tuner A, bring up the info screen, down arrow to whatever you want to be tuner B, select it. At this point, Enter/Last will swap between the two tuners.

Ponimayu, tovarishch?
And if you aren't recording from those two channels, and something needs to start recrording, it could take one of those tuners. Or you accidentally hit a number on the keypad, and poof, the buffer is gone because it changed to that channel. You record what is on each channel and then there will definitely be no issues going back and forth between buffers.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And if you aren't recording from those two channels, and something needs to start recrording, it could take one of those tuners. Or you accidentally hit a number on the keypad, and poof, the buffer is gone because it changed to that channel. You record what is on each channel and then there will definitely be no issues going back and forth between buffers.
Why are you telling me? I posted earlier that you should record anything you want to watch.

The current discussion is about what you need to do to easily swap between 2-tuners, not whether or not it is a good idea to depend on the live buffers when doing so.

BTW, I use this method to swap between two NFL games on Sundays. However, I am recording them.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #22
FitzAusTex

Quote:

Ponimayu, tovarishch?
ok, that way is fine, too. I prefer to just push Live TV button and cycle, than pushing Right, Down, Right, (and potentially Down up to 4 times) and then Select. But either way works.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
ok, that way is fine, too. I prefer to just push Live TV button and cycle, than pushing Right, Down, Right, (and potentially Down up to 4 times) and then Select. But either way works.
Lets test that proposition. 6-tuner Roamio. Active tuner already on the channel you want. You must hit the "Live" button 5 times, enter the channel you want it to be on, hit live TV one more time to get back to your original tuner. You're also assuming that the last tuner in the cycle is not currently recording.

Feel free to continue to do it that way if it makes you happy. But do not tell other people that they have to do it that way.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 11-24-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #24
kokishin

http://youtu.be/V2f-MZ2HRHQ
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #25
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Lets test that proposition. 6-tuner Roamio. Active tuner already on the channel you want. You must hit the "Live" button 5 times, enter the channel you want it to be on, hit live TV one more time to get back to your original tuner. You're also assuming that the last tuner in the cycle is not currently recording.

Feel free to continue to do it that way if it makes you happy. But do not tell other people that they have to do it that way.
I, in no way, told anyone that they HAVE to do anything. Try reading what you respond to. I stated that either works, and that I prefer my way.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #26
lpwcomp

Quote:
I, in no way, told anyone that they HAVE to do anything. Try reading what you respond to. I stated that either works, and that I prefer my way.
You might try reading what you actually wrote:
Quote:
there is an important caveat; maintaining your buffers will only work once you've cycled through all of your tuners
Which is completely false.

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #27
FitzAusTex

Quote:
You might try reading what you actually wrote:
Which is completely false.
For what I was actually talking about, it is not false at all. If you use the cycle method and have not visited all four (or six) tuners in the cycle, than using the Enter button will dump the buffer of the most recently tuned to channel. I was never saying that one MUST cycle, but if one does, to make sure they cycled through all tuners for the Enter button to swap, rather than act like a typical Last Channel button.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #28
lpwcomp

Quote:
For what I was actually talking about, it is not false at all. If you use the cycle method and have not visited all four (or six) tuners in the cycle, than using the Enter button will dump the buffer of the most recently tuned to channel. I was never saying that one MUST cycle, but if one does, to make sure they cycled through all tuners for the Enter button to swap, rather than act like a typical Last Channel button.
IOW, what you're saying now is if you use your method of cycling through all of tuners, you have to cycle through all of the tuners. Do you happen to work for the Department of Redundancy Department? You also seem to be unable to recognize the flaws in your method.

When I posted that the "Enter/Last" button reverses whatever the most recent tuner action was whether it be a channel change or a tuner swap, you reiterated the requirement that you must cycle through all of the tuners.

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #29
kokishin

Come on guys,

It's the eve of Thanksgiving.

Aren't there bigger turkeys (in lieu of fish) to fry (or bake or BBQ)?

The OP was given various methods to change tuners. No sense burning the turkey (or this thread) up.

My wife is in the kitchen already cooking for tomorrow. Smells delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.