TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
dahacker

Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway MoCA 2.0 and Roamio/Mini

Does anybody have any direct experience with Verizon FIOS's Quantum Gateway and the Roamio and Mini? I'm curious if the MoCA 2.0 in it plays nice with Tivo's MoCA 1.1 implementation.

http://www.verizon.com/home/MLP/router.html

I'm looking for direct experience, not a might/could based on googling specs. I can google too.

dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
Does anybody have any direct experience with Verizon FIOS's Quantum Gateway and the Roamio and Mini? I'm curious if the MoCA 2.0 in it plays nice with Tivo's MoCA 1.1 implementation.

http://www.verizon.com/home/MLP/router.html

I'm looking for direct experience, not a might/could based on googling specs. I can google too.
It works fine...direct experience. This assumes a 4-6 tuner Tivo.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
mae

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Same here, no issues with a Plus and 2 minis.

mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
Same here, no issues with a Plus and 2 minis.
So you are using MoCA as your Plus and mini network and not Ethernet?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
dahacker

Quote:
Thanks. Just to confirm, you are using MoCA as your Tivo network interface and not Ethernet?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
fcfc2

Quote:
Thanks. Just to confirm, you are using MoCA as your Tivo network interface and not Ethernet?
Hi,
Right now I am using ethernet, but I was using MoCA before running the ethernet and everything worked fine.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
mae

Quote:
So you are using MoCA as your Plus and mini network and not Ethernet?
Yes. The VZ quantum router is the "network controller" for MOCA. In fact, the plus, connected to the router only by coax is bridging the connection. I have a router, set as an access point that provides a second wireless point (on a different channel), and rj-45 connections to other ethernet devices, connected to the ethernet port on the plus.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
dahacker

Quote:
Yes. The VZ quantum router is the "network controller" for MOCA. In fact, the plus, connected to the router only by coax is bridging the connection. I have a router, set as an access point that provides a second wireless point (on a different channel), and rj-45 connections to other ethernet devices, connected to the ethernet port on the plus.
Yeah, right now my network is controlled by an earlier Verizon FIOS router that only does MoCA 1.0, and I've got other used FIOS routers acting as MoCA bridges at each TV for the various stuff at each TV like Blu-Ray, Tivo, Roku.

My FIOS contract is up, and you get a "free" quantum router with the renew, so it looks like I'll have to replace all my MoCA 1.0 bridges, but having the Roamio do the bridging at that one location will save me some trouble. The Minis did work SOMETIMES with the MoCA 1.0 network, but I ended up switching them to ethernet.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
mae

Quote:
Yeah, right now my network is controlled by an earlier Verizon FIOS router that only does MoCA 1.0, and I've got other used FIOS routers acting as MoCA bridges at each TV for the various stuff at each TV like Blu-Ray, Tivo, Roku.

My FIOS contract is up, and you get a "free" quantum router with the renew, so it looks like I'll have to replace all my MoCA 1.0 bridges, but having the Roamio do the bridging at that one location will save me some trouble. The Minis did work SOMETIMES with the MoCA 1.0 network, but I ended up switching them to ethernet.
I had an old NIM100 connecting my Premiere XL to the MOCA network, and it was keeping everything to 1.0. There was no issue till I replaced it with the plus, which wouldn't connect to the AT rev I until I shut everything down and rebooted to get the AT to connect in 1.1. You will have problems with those bridges, but used ATs are cheap enough on ebay, and everything rev F and above are 1.1.

On the other hand, I had no issue swapping out the AT Rev I for the quantum. Just swapped it out and everything connected in 1.1. I would still shut everything down and let them reconnect though.

Last edited by mae; 07-01-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: incorrect info about revision level for 1.1 compliance
Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
fcfc2

Quote:
I had an old NIM100 connecting my Premiere XL to the MOCA network, and it was keeping everything to 1.0. There was no issue till I replaced it with the plus, which wouldn't connect to the AT rev I until I shut everything down and rebooted to get the AT to connect in 1.1. You will have problems with those bridges, but used ATs are cheap enough on ebay, and everything rev D and above are 1.1.

On the other hand, I had no issue swapping out the AT Rev I for the quantum. Just swapped it out and everything connected in 1.1. I would still shut everything down and let them reconnect though.
Hi,
I am pretty certain that the Actiontec Rev. D and E are MoCA 1.0. You have to go to the Rev. F and above to get MoCA 1.1

Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #11
dahacker

Quote:
I had an old NIM100 connecting my Premiere XL to the MOCA network, and it was keeping everything to 1.0. There was no issue till I replaced it with the plus, which wouldn't connect to the AT rev I until I shut everything down and rebooted to get the AT to connect in 1.1. You will have problems with those bridges, but used ATs are cheap enough on ebay, and everything rev D and above are 1.1.

Yes, In addition to the Quantum gateway as the controller, I plan to replace my current bridges with Actiontec rev I routers to act as bridges. I'd get them from ebay just like I did my older Actiontec routers.

Are the quantum gateway's rock solid? My network is extremely reliable with the older FIOS routers.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
fcfc2

Quote:
Yes, In addition to the Quantum gateway as the controller, I plan to replace my current bridges with Actiontec rev I routers to act as bridges. I'd get them from ebay just like I did my older Actiontec routers.

Are the quantum gateway's rock solid? My network is extremely reliable with the older FIOS routers.
Hi again,
Some people have reported trouble bridging the Rev I units, you might save a few bucks picking up some Rev F's which are MoCA 1.1.
The G1100's are pretty stable from what I have observed. You might want to check out the Verizon forums on DSLReports.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
mae

Quote:
Hi,
I am pretty certain that the Actiontec Rev. D and E are MoCA 1.0. You have to go to the Rev. F and above to get MoCA 1.1
Sorry, you are absolutely right, one of the problems with old age and forgetfulness. I'll edit my earlier post.

Interestingly, the MOCA Alliance certification page, http://www.mocalliance.org/products/index.htm, doesn't even list the E or G as certified.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #14
fcfc2

Quote:

Hi,
You do know that your old Actiontec's even though MoCA 1.0 will still work with the Verizon G1100, you throughput may be slightly slower and you limit your MoCA devices to a max of 8 total, but they may be fine for use with your Tivo.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
dahacker

Quote:
Hi,
You do know that your old Actiontec's even though MoCA 1.0 will still work with the Verizon G1100, you throughput may be slightly slower and you limit your MoCA devices to a max of 8 total, but they may be fine for use with your Tivo.
My friend got a G1100 and MoCA 1.0 anywhere on the Coax broke the WAN.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
fcfc2

Quote:
My friend got a G1100 and MoCA 1.0 anywhere on the Coax broke the WAN.
Interesting...that should have stopped the Certification of the G1100, as one of the requirements for certification is interoperability between older versions. I could have sworn I tested one of my Rev E's but I think I had already switched to ethernet by that time so MoCA WAN would not be an issue.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #17
Diana Collins

MoCA 1.0 devices on the coax will cause problems, if you are using MoCA for the WAN connection, because some of the ONTs are not backwards compatible.

If you use ethernet for you router<->ONT connection then you can put 1.0 devices on the coax, although that will force everything to 1.0. We have the G1100 and had a MoCA 1.0 device on the coax for a couple of months (until it was replaced with a Actiontec MoCA adapter/4 way switch). We have ethernet as our ONT connection, even though we have never had more than 75/75 service (and we are GPON). Most such installs use coax and BPON ONTs.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #18
rlcarr

My config is this:
* Coax leaves the ONT and splits.
* One leg of split goes to Roamio Pro (downstairs)
* Other leg of split goes to Quantum Gateway (upstairs)
* Ethernet port of TiVo connects to DLink switch, which has TV, blu-ray, and game console connected to it.
* Ethernet port of Quantum goes to a Netgear switch that connects to a bazillion things upstairs.

All those things that the TiVo feeds (TiVo, TV, player, console) all get LAN service and internet access fine. No problems streaming local and remote HD material.

rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #19
sangs

Not sure if it was coincidence or not, but once I swapped out the Actiontech Rev. I router for the Quantum Gateway router, any issues I was having with my Tivo setup went away. And I was having issues. Have had none (knock wood) since. Running two Pros with three Minis, all using MoCA.

sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #20
dahacker

Finally reconfigured my network today. I swapped out my older MI424-WR main router and three older MI424-WR versions that could only do MoCA 1.0. The only problem I had with the reconfiguration was the Quantum Gateway didn't initially connect to broadband. It required a call to their automated system and it actually reset the ONT to router interface automatically and it worked. Got to love FIOS tech support.

All of these are playing well together nicely:

Roamio Pro (MoCA and acting as an Ethernet Bridge)
Tivo Mini (MoCA)
Tivo Mini (MoCA)
Tivo Mini (Ethernet)
Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway G1100 (Main Router also using MoCA for Broadband and WAN)
MI424-WR Rev F (MoCA to Ethernet Bridge only)
MI424-WR Rev F (MoCA to Ethernet Bridge only)

I will update this thread with reliability of this setup after a month or so.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #21
jlww68

Fios Gateway Router

I have a Roamio Plus and 4Mini's....all work fine with the Gateway.

jlww68 is offline   Reply With Quote