TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
hanginghelmet

Tivo app forces you to record what you watch??

Hi everyone, I just received my new Roamio Plus. I downloaded the Tivo app for my iphone with the hope I could watch live tv on it. I can do that but it also makes you record the channel you are watching. I don;t like that at all as it could use up space quickly. Is there a way to watch live tv without recording it? From the tivo website it states "Watch live TV or recorded shows anywhere".

Thanks for everyones help!!!

hanginghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
You have 1,000 hours of storage. Don't worry about it.

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
philt56

Does it matter if you are using cellular data or wifi? I think if the iPhone is using wifi it doesn't require roofing.

philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #4
tomhorsley

It does seem strange that they don't use the dedicated tuner for live TV (like the mini does) for the apps. It certainly puts a crimp in channel surfing in the app. I guess it was a lot simpler to write if it always only streams recordings.

tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #5
JWhites

Not sure what the problem is because when you're done watching whatever you're watching you're prompted to delete the recording or keep it. In the past there was no such prompt and you had to clean up after yourself.

JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Exactly. Plus, its recording all the time anyway!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
lpwcomp

The TiVo Stream (which is what the app uses for viewing) was never designed for "channel surfing". It's not strange at all to me that the app doesn't grab a tuner like the Mini does.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
BruinGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Not sure what the problem is because when you're done watching whatever you're watching you're prompted to delete the recording or keep it. In the past there was no such prompt and you had to clean up after yourself.
I always respond to delete the recording but when I get home it's always there.

BruinGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The TiVo Stream (which is what the app uses for viewing) was never designed for "channel surfing". It's not strange at all to me that the app doesn't grab a tuner like the Mini does.
Well obviously, but think how much more useful it would be if you *could* channel surf. When a commercial comes on your TV, you could channel surf on the tablet and not miss the restart of the program on the TV :-). The TiVo itself obviously has a mechanism to allow a remote device to allocate a tuner, so it isn't like it would have been impossible.

tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Well obviously, but think how much more useful it would be if you *could* channel surf. When a commercial comes on your TV, you could channel surf on the tablet and not miss the restart of the program on the TV :-). The TiVo itself obviously has a mechanism to allow a remote device to allocate a tuner, so it isn't like it would have been impossible.
Soo... Yes, I would like the TiVo stream to grab a tuner and let me surf - but that leap has the potential to leave you tuner poor pretty quickly. (Assuming I understand how this would work)

TiVo will only allow you to borrow a tuner from a 4+ tuner TiVo, and I assume the TiVo reserves at least one tuner for itself... So a base Roamio can support 3 minis accessing live TV at the same time. Has anyone ever gotten a "No tuner available" message? Adding streaming devices to this "tuner drain" could add up fast.

TiVo would have to mimic the mini logic with the stream, it would be paired with the host (4+ tuner TiVo) for live TV capabilities.

We know the stream came out before the mini - does the mini hardware do any of that work? Could the existing mini + software handle it?

I would like the functionality - and would use it! Just trying to be realistic toward some of the design pitfalls to implementing it.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #11
ecoblue

This is purely speculation on my part--I wonder if the inherent delays caused by the transcoding and video buffering would add too much of a lag to watching live television anyway?

While an implementation of live tv on the app would theoretically require fewer taps versus setting a show to record and then streaming it--would it meet most people's expectations of how live tv is supposed to behave?

IMHO, changing channels in this manner might be slow enough to generate more customer complaints than the present inability to stream live tv without explicitly recording it first.

ecoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #12
Diana Collins

If the Stream received a "stream" from the TiVo, all transfers (i.e. downloads) would be in real time. It was also my understanding that the Stream effectively does a file transfer (like transferring to another TiVo DVR) as opposed to having the TiVo stream it the way it feeds video to a Mini.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is also a content control aspect to this

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:16 PM   #13
lpwcomp

It's my understanding that the tole of the stream is to transcode the video stream it receives from the TiVo to a format playable by the remote app and then send the transcoded stream to the mobile app.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote