TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
nessie

A little confused about the Roamio's features

I'm getting a Roamio shipped to me soon, so I got this email from Tivo stating the following:

If you plan to take your TiVo experience outside of the living room using a TiVo Stream, TiVo Mini or another TiVo DVR, your Roamio must be connected to your home network using Ethernet cable or a MoCA network adapter. Learn more

and then

With the free TiVo app, you'll love watching TV like never before. Turn your iPhoneŽ, iPadŽ, Kindle Fire or Android device into command central where you can search, browse, schedule and share without interrupting what you're watching. You can even watch live or recorded TV from your Roamio anywhere in the world via your iOS device. Learn more about the TiVo app. Learn more about watching TV anywhere.

What's the difference between using TiVo Stream or the TiVo app? Don't you need TiVo stream to use the TiVo app to watch TV anywhere? Or am I missing something?
nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
mrizzo80

If you bought a Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro, you can stream to your phone/tablet anywhere in the world using just the Roamio and your phone/tablet with the TiVo app installed. The Roamio can transcode video in real-time and stream it to your device. If you bought the Roamio Basic, you'll need a TiVo Stream to do the transcoding/streaming to your device.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Roamio Plus/Pro has a Stream built in, the Basic requires a separate TiVo Stream box. The app is used in both cases to select and watch the show.

Technical explanation...

TiVos record the digital stream directly from your cable signal, retaining the original encoding and bitrate. (typically high bitrate MPEG-2) Mobile devices can't play these types of videos directly so they need to be transcoded into a mobile friendly format for streaming. The TiVo hardware does not have the ability to do this transcoding on it's own so they invented the TiVo Stream. The TiVo Stream accesses your TiVo just like a Mini and pulls the original digital stream across your network to itself, it then feed that into a special transcoder chip which converts it to a mobile friendly format and finally sends that out to your phone/tablet. (either via wifi or the internet) The Roamio Plus/Pro units use the same hardware as the standalone TiVo Stream they just have it stuffed inside the TiVo's case. It's actually a separate device connected to the main TiVo via an internal network switch. The Stream portion gets it's own unique IP address and can be rebooted, from the app, without having to reboot the whole TiVo, just like the standalone Stream.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Technical explanation...
Thanks for that; very clear.

If the Roamio Plus could stream (over the Internet) to another Tivo, or even to a pc screen, that would do it for me to pull the trigger.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I got the Android app running on a Fire TV stick. I haven't tested it OOH but I assume it would work. (no reason it shouldn't)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=522319
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's actually a separate device connected to the main TiVo via an internal network switch. The Stream portion gets it's own unique IP address and can be rebooted, from the app, without having to reboot the whole TiVo, just like the standalone Stream.
This would explain the Phantom TiVo device that shows up on my network!!!

So my Roamio Pro is using 2 IP addresses.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #7
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
This would explain the Phantom TiVo device that shows up on my network!!!

So my Roamio Pro is using 2 IP addresses.
That is correct, the second ip address is the stream. You can verify the ip in the TiVo app settings-> streaming info
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is online now   Reply With Quote