TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #1
ccoulson

MoCA splitter/amplifier

Not to reopen the religious battle on MoCA splitters, but I am looking for a splitter AND amplifier that is MoCA compatible. Preferably from Amazon. Any suggestions?

I found this one, but it seems a bit pricey.

ccoulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #2
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoulson View Post
Not to reopen the religious battle on MoCA splitters, but I am looking for a splitter AND amplifier that is MoCA compatible. Preferably from Amazon. Any suggestions?

Don't know your location or your provider but in my area this is the product Comcast uses and if you contact them it's very likely that they'll provide you with either a 5 or a 9 and also the POE entry reflector/MoCa filter. If you're "buying" this product is available quite reasonably also BUT be sure you purchase product that has the "BLUE" fonts and branding. There's also product that has brown or maroon, that is different product.

http://www.ppc-online.com/Products/E...ive-return.cfm

I use the last one and I've terminated all "unused" with 75 Ohm terminator.

Regardless of your location or provider I'd certainly start with the provider and ask. If you can contact one of the field supervisors you could do much better than asking in the local offices. They may very well not understand or care. Catch an installer on the street and ask what they use.

Last edited by WVZR1 : Yesterday at 04:46 PM.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoulson View Post

I've been using this one and it has worked well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's essentially the same as the one you linked to, except it has an active return (which I wanted because I have a tuning adapter) and it doesn't have the MoCA filter built in, which I also didn't want since I have my cable modem split off before the amp. So instead of an internal MoCA filter, I just use one of the MoCA POE filters TiVo sells.

tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #4
fcfc2

http://www.pctstore.com/RF_amplifier...pctmabf14p.htm
Not sure about shipping, but this appears to be less expensive.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #5
gespears

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm going to anyway! I have cable modem to router like most people. Does the cable modem not have MoCa? Seems like it would be much more efficient. Right now the TiVo Pro is using wireless so I can't use it for MoCa. I do have a wireless receiver that I can plug into the Pro, but I hate to do that because I'd rather it be hardwired. And it seems the MoCa adapters you plug into cable and connect to the router seem to be rather expensive. Especially with the Cable Modem sitting right there.

Thanks, Hijack off.

gespears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #6
lessd

This is the one I have been using from 2012 without ant problems MoCA works great with this amp and so does VOD from Comcast. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All about the same price.

Old Today, 01:50 PM   #7
WVZR1

There should 'generally' be NO NEED for the AMP. There's no better way to accomplish the proper POE and distribution than doing/using what the provider would use if they were doing the install.

AMP enters the conversation way more than likely necessary. Have the provider check the signal at the drop OR generally you can use a quality cable modem to reliably confirm the signal. If there's actually a requirement for an AMP the provider would generally supply it.

WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:02 PM   #8
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
If there's actually a requirement for an AMP the provider would generally supply it.
The amp that TWC had installed was not playing nicely with my MoCA signals, which is why I replaced it.

tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote