TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Resist

Upgrade?

I'm still a bit confused as to why I should upgrade from my Premiere. Is the Roamio worth upgrading to?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
waterchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I'm still a bit confused as to why I should upgrade from my Premiere. Is the Roamio worth upgrading to?
You're asking a question that no one can answer but you. How much do you value a faster interface? More tuners? Built-in streaming to iOS devices (and Android in the future)? Working Netflix?

You shouldn't upgrade if you have no issues with your current Tivo experience. Or you upgrade because you have to have latest/greatest and the upgrade cost isn't an issue.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchange View Post
You're asking a question that no one can answer but you. How much do you value a faster interface? More tuners? Built-in streaming to iOS devices (and Android in the future)? Working Netflix?

You shouldn't upgrade if you have no issues with your current Tivo experience. Or you upgrade because you have to have latest/greatest and the upgrade cost isn't an issue.
I didn't know the Roamio had a faster interface. How much faster?

Four tuners OTA is great, but I don't understand why it couldn't be six tuners OTA. Tivo seems to be catering to the cable company all the time with more features exclusive their cable only boxes.

I do like the idea of built in streaming to iOS devices, so that's a plus.

Netflix could be working great on the Premiere if Tivo would fix the software.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Based on the videos I've seen the UI is much, much, faster. It's what the Premiere should have been all along.

They also have a new app platform based on HTML5, rather then AdobeAir, so they should get more apps and more frequent updates going forward. They already have new Netflix and YouTube apps that support casting from portable devices to the TV.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
adaymerced

Any idea on whether there will be an upgrade discount for current Tivo Premiere owners? I've checked the website and all that comes up is a multi-service discount of two bucks a month which I won't use because I only have the one television.
adaymerced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaymerced View Post
Any idea on whether there will be an upgrade discount for current Tivo Premiere owners? I've checked the website and all that comes up is a multi-service discount of two bucks a month which I won't use because I only have the one television.
Nothing has been announced other than the $50 off the base Roamio box. I wouldn't expect to see any such offer for a few months (if at all) or TiVo figures all the early adopters are done buying boxes.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
It's natural for you to Resist.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Resist

I wish Tivo did a better job on the appearance of the Roamio. I'm not a fan of glossy black devices, they show scratches and dust too easily.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Four tuners OTA is great, but I don't understand why it couldn't be six tuners OTA.
As a zillion other threads have stated, there are only 4 tuner OTA chips available. There are 6 tuner cable tuners.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Nothing has been announced other than the $50 off the base Roamio box. I wouldn't expect to see any such offer for a few months (if at all) or TiVo figures all the early adopters are done buying boxes.
I am also hoping one comes sooner rather than later. They did it on the Premiere. I also thought they offered it when the Elite launched but I might be wrong on that one.

I figure I have till the 9th of September to make a decision since the new premieres start a week later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 08-21-2013 at 11:04 PM.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Curious what you might expect, beyond the $100 lifetime discount? I have two premieres and I'd love to see a better deal, a smaller fee to add lifetime, even a transfer from a premiere.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
MeInDallas

I just wish they would let me out of my contract on my XL4, and let me get a new Roamio, but I know they are gonna give me a big fat NO
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
Curious what you might expect, beyond the $100 lifetime discount? I have two premieres and I'd love to see a better deal, a smaller fee to add lifetime, even a transfer from a premiere.
Premieres offered an additional $100 off so $199 for msd lifetime if you had an eligible lifetime box.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=444088

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
adaymerced

Quote:
I haven't seen the $50 off the base Roamio announced. In the past, I'd get the upgrade price (usually $50-$100) off when I sign into my account and put the new unit in the box. This time, the only thing that comes up is the multi-service discount.

I'm not referring to the lifetime service discount, as I usually pay the monthly fee instead of getting lifetime for a unit that I may upgrade in 3-5 years.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not referring to the lifetime service discount, as I usually pay the monthly fee instead of getting lifetime for a unit that I may upgrade in 3-5 years.
Why? Lifetime is a better deal. Even at full price lifetime is $500 and monthly is $15. So the break even point is 33 months. And if you sell that TiVo after 33 months the lifetime one is typically worth $200-$300 more then the non-lifetime one making the service essentially half price. The only reason not to get lifetime is if you can't afford the upfront cost.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #16
adaymerced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Why? Lifetime is a better deal. Even at full price lifetime is $500 and monthly is $15. So the break even point is 33 months. And if you sell that TiVo after 33 months the lifetime one is typically worth $200-$300 more then the non-lifetime one making the service essentially half price. The only reason not to get lifetime is if you can't afford the upfront cost.
Okay, so let's say I can't afford the upfront cost.

Any idea of a discount for upgrading from the Premiere? Somebody mentioned a $50 offer I can't seem to find.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you buy the base model Roamio and enter the coupon code GROUPER it takes $50 off the TiVo and if you also buy a Stream it's price is reduced to $50 so it'a essentially free.

However I heard that they took down the coupon temporarily because people were using it to get a Stream for $50 and not buying the TiVo.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #18
jfh3

Quote:
Any idea of a discount for upgrading from the Premiere? Somebody mentioned a $50 offer I can't seem to find.
That offer (coupon code) already expired.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
That offer (coupon code) already expired.
I don't know if it's true, but someone else posted that they took it down because people were using it to buy Streams for $50 and not buying the companion TiVo. And that they were working on fixing the issue and were going to put it back up.

Even if they find a way to force you to get the free Stream you could sell it for at least $50, probably more. (They're $97 on Amazon)