TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
passname22

I want to relocate my tivo

I want to relocate my tivo to different room. My question is, is tivo like a tv or computer? what I mean is that, if you unplug ur tv all the settings get reset. if you unplug computer all ur settings stay the same. I want to relocate my tivo but I'm afraid if I unplug it I'll lose all my settings/channels list/one pass?

passname22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

It will be fine. Tivo's don't all fall apart with a power outage. Though the folks here do recommend a UPS.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by passname22 View Post
I want to relocate my tivo to different room. My question is,
*is tivo like a tv or computer?
what I mean is that, if you unplug ur tv all the settings get reset. if you unplug computer all ur settings stay the same.

**I want to relocate my tivo but I'm afraid if I unplug it I'll lose all my settings/channels list/one pass?
* Yes it is the same in that respect.
** No the settings and such will not be lost.

Yes; do use a UPS (uninterrupted power supply.)

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
what I mean is that, if you unplug ur tv all the settings get reset.
Your TVs must be a lot different than mine. My TVs don't lose all of their settings just by being unplugged.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
passname22 -- just to be clear, the suggestions to get a UPS have nothing to do with saving your settings, or moving a TiVo. As they have said, you can unplug and move without fear.

The UPS suggestions are because there is nothing more frustrating than having a microscopic electrical blip wreak havoc on your recordings. All it takes is the loss of power for a micro-second, and the TiVo will reboot. Thus causing a five minute gap in your recording. Very very painful.

Additionally, the electronics in your TiVo, both moving and not, really don't like fluctuating power; consistency is their friend.

So move your TiVo. And get a UPS.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
passname22 -- just to be clear, the suggestions to get a UPS have nothing to do with saving your settings, or moving a TiVo. As they have said, you can unplug and move without fear.

The UPS suggestions are because there is nothing more frustrating than having a microscopic electrical blip wreak havoc on your recordings. All it takes is the loss of power for a micro-second, and the TiVo will reboot. Thus causing a five minute gap in your recording. Very very painful.

Additionally, the electronics in your TiVo, both moving and not, really don't like fluctuating power; consistency is their friend.

So move your TiVo. And get a UPS.
Thanks for the UPS info. Reading posts here, I had thought that people were using UPS supplies to avoid harm to a TiVo unit, should the weather and electricity get rough and power go off. But then, I always would think, if you're not home when the UPS kicks in, the power still very likely could give out (from the UPS) before the electricity is back, just delaying the issue (absent a big UPS battery). But from what you're saying, a UPS really just is good for minor electrical fluctuations that could occur in daily use, not necessarily the big things, if I'm understanding correctly. And so, then, even a small UPS unit would be beneficial.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
But from what you're saying, a UPS really just is good for minor electrical fluctuations that could occur in daily use, not necessarily the big things, if I'm understanding correctly. And so, then, even a small UPS unit would be beneficial.
Exactly. If you lose power for an extended period (weather, downed lines, etc), eventually your TiVo and other UPS powered devices will die. But for those all too often quickie events, they are a life-saver.

Here in Houston, we get horrendous thunderstorms every so often. And it's not unusual to have the power flicker. THAT'S why you want a UPS.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

Any tree contact will drop voltage, as will the actions of a utility reclosure (when the power goes on/off/on/off/on again). UPSs are great for floating through those kinds of activities.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:06 AM   #9
Mikeguy

Got it, guys, thanks for filling out my knowledge. As I said, just was having a hard time understanding how a UPS would save a TiVo from shutting down in an electricity blackout such as during a storm, absent it being a mega UPS.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
keithg1964

Quote:
I want to relocate my tivo to different room. My question is, is tivo like a tv or computer? what I mean is that, if you unplug ur tv all the settings get reset. if you unplug computer all ur settings stay the same. I want to relocate my tivo but I'm afraid if I unplug it I'll lose all my settings/channels list/one pass?

While perfectly safe (99.99% of the time) to simply unplug it while running, What I like to do is have it reboot, and as soon as the screen goes blank I unplug it then.

keithg1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithg1964 View Post
While perfectly safe (99.99% of the time) to simply unplug it while running, What I like to do is have it reboot, and as soon as the screen goes blank I unplug it then.
To elaborate on what you just said, go to TiVo Central, go down to Messages & Settings, inside that go down to Restart or Reset System, go into that and select the first option, "Restart the TiVo DVR", and, like it says, hit the thumbs down button thrice and then the Enter button (which on S1-S3 remotes is at the bottom on the right under the 9), and pull the power plug from the wall as soon as the screen blanks.

Don't hit the enter button and only then start looking to see where it's plugged in and moving furniture to be able to get to it, or it will have already started rebooting before you can get the plug out.

You might need a second person to assist.

And it's generally better not to try to do it by unplugging the cord from the back of the TiVo instead.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
unitron

And one other thing, do not select Standby instead of Restart, 'cause you'll forget that you did so and think the TiVo's broken when you get a blank screen after hooking up the power again.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Exactly. If you lose power for an extended period (weather, downed lines, etc), eventually your TiVo and other UPS powered devices will die. But for those all too often quickie events, they are a life-saver.
Absolutely true. Plus, if you have an automatic standby generator, the UPS will get all the electronics through the 15-second wait and engine warm-up period. Then, you just have to worry about replenishing the propane supply within a few days if it's not connected to a natural gas line.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote