TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
dnimtz

Exclamation Comcast TBSHD channel not authorized. Pairing issue.

I just had this problem appear suddenly. TBSHD had been working fine on my Roamio Plus for a year, then suddenly (right before a NCAA basketball game no less), I got the not authorized error.

Comcast tech came out and replaced the cablecard, re-paired numerous times, etc still getting the same error. Called TiVo who had us go through a number of things regarding cablecard pairing, status, signal strength, SNR levels, etc. Still no TBSHD, all other channels fine. Comcast tech went through and measured all signals, etc and all was good.

After about 3 hours of debugging, the Comcast Tech got a call from his supervisor stating that just a few days earlier (about the same time I lost TBSHD), the Comcast engineers had made a "tweak" to TBSHD on the Comcast head end. They pushed updates to all of their Comcast set top boxes, so things were fine there, but they now realize there is an incompatibility with TiVos. Tech said that the supervisor would be working with TiVo to resolve the issue. We'll see, but at least we know what the problem is/was.

Update today 3/25/2015: TBSHD is now working again, so Comcast made some update on their head end I would guess.

BTW, it was extremely frustrating to hear the Comcast tech constantly berate TiVo...haven't seen anyone use a TiVo in years....blah blah blah. So glad the problem ended up being on Comcast's side of things after hours of hearing that it had to be TiVo since Comcast was fine.

dnimtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
rparadis99

I've had this problem in South Denver area for at least a year. Like you, about the only time I care is during March Madness or maybe a MLB game or two. That said, I've never been motivated to get it resolved since it was only that same single channel (TBSHD - 678).

I don't know enough about CC technology but I am fascinated by a channel specific change on their head-end that would cause such an issue. Since you did all the hard work, maybe I will now try to force the issue a bit with Comcast. However, like you, the overhead of running through all the troubleshooting and the inevitable "TiVo?" comments means the cost-to-benefit ratio may not have reached its tipping point yet.

Glad to hear you got TBSHD working. Enjoy the West and East regional in full HD!

rparadis99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
dnimtz

I'm also in the south east Denver area, just North of Parker...the way it was explained to me was that they made some sort of tweak to the TBSHD channel such that they had to issue an update to their own equipment (which is why my Comcast supplied cable box worked), but they forgot about TiVo customers. The supervisor told the tech I was working with that I was the only one who had reported it, so next time go ahead and speak up. They were supposed to call me this morning to confirm it was now working (which it is), but no call that I know of.

Go Wisconsin.

dnimtz is offline   Reply With Quote