TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Davepl

HDMI issue on Roamio only, xBox and PS4 are fine

I am installing a new Roamio Pro and a newish receiver, a Denon AVR-2113Ci. Everything works perfectly except the TiVo.

This is on an older (2006 era) NEC plasma. It's mounted in a fancy rotating bookshelf unit that prevents me from (easily) getting the model number.

When the Roamio is sent through the Denon AVR, the TV goes black and issues no warning, indicating its getting a signal. But that's it. The PS4 and the xBox360 work as you'd expect. I've swapped around the inputs to no avail to make sure it wasn't a dead port.

If you connect the TV HDMI directly to the Roamio it also works. Only when sent through the Denon AVR is there any issue.

I did a full factory reset on the Denon.

The xBox and PS4 are running at 1080i and the TV is OK with that, direct or through the AVR. I've set the TiVo to only use 720p or 1080i, all to no avail.

I'd assume my TV is just so old it's got a bug in the HDMI handshake, and while that still could be the case the fact it works with all devices except the TiVo makes me wonder if someone's been down this road and knows the answer.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try?
Davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Did you turn off HDMI CEC in the Denon to see if that helps? Maybe turn off scaling in the Denon too. And of course try a different HDMI cable first. Even though a cable might work fine with other devices, there could be an issue with one specific device. So it's a simple thing to do to see if it makes a difference.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Did you try connecting the tv directly, then telling the tivo to "test", then connect through the receiver and have it cycle through the different resolutions, to see which ones will work and which ones wont?

Did you try a different input on the receiver?

Did you try a different HDMI cables?
both between the tivo and the receiver as well as between the receiver and tv... if the tv's been moving, the cable might have received a little wear n tear)

Does that receiver do any sort of signal processing?
If so, does it have a "direct" mode or such that takes the processing out of the loop, or try toggling the available options.

Does the tv have any features in the area of video quality in regards to HDMI signaling?
e.g. Deep color, extended blacks, etc

Have you tried toggling any HDMI extra functionality such as CEC, Power Control or ARC as available on the Receiver and/or TV?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Davepl

After everyone got their firmware updates, it started working. No idea. I will definitely see if I can find the Denon menus to turn off CEC. It doesn't call it any of that, but it has ARC and "HDMI Control of TV" or some menu that I believe represents it.
Davepl is offline   Reply With Quote