TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Roamio / Android

Still no Android support? Is this some kind of joke?

Seriously?

What's the excuse now?

Where is DTA for the Mini? That was "coming soon" too.

Until these guys can enable the DTA on the Mini and offer Android support, I'm not buying another thing from these people.

Mrs. Schmidt can you hear us?
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

This new unit came out more timely than you expected, so they had to provide you some feeder material to complain about!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Who said Android support was coming on day 1? The rumor has been and continues to be November.

But you were going to bitch today no matter what.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Fully expected a full-featured product at launch, not more half-baked "products".

Would you buy a new car if they told you that it had provisions for air conditioning and was "coming soon"? How about a refrigerator if they told you the freezer would be enabled "coming soon"?

Imagine me being unreasonable by expecting a company to release a fully-functioning product at launch, and imagine your complacancy with them that you happily accept it.

Have fun forking over a grand for your box and PLS. Remember, all those features are "coming soon" though!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD

Last edited by NotNowChief : 08-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Who said Android support was coming on day 1? The rumor has been and continues to be November.

But you were going to bitch today no matter what.
"Rumor" and "Coming Soon" are TiVo's new slogans!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
hytekjosh

Not only do they need to add Android support but also need to write a program so I can watch on PC.
hytekjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Fully expected a full-featured product at launch, not more half-baked "products".

Would you buy a new car if they told you that it had provisions for air conditioning and was "coming soon"? How about a refrigerator if they told you the freezer would be enabled "coming soon"?

Imagine me being unreasonable by expecting a company to release a fully-functioning product at launch, and imagine your complacancy with them that you happily accept it.

Have fun forking over a grand for your box and PLS. Remember, all those features are "coming soon" though!
Sorry just because a product doesn't offer the features you want doesn't make it half baked.

Also for a company to say they plan on updating a products software and adding features over time is standard operating procedure for pretty much everything so that doesn't make a product half baked either.

What makes something half baked is when the features they are offering now don't work correctly or at all. That is why the Premiere was a half baked (maybe 1/4 baked?) product. When released it just did not work as advertised.

If the Roamio line of DVRs suffer from being half backed is yet to be seen, but all indications are that they are not.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Lars_J

Android support is there. Even Kindle Fire support.

I presume the original poster is referring to streaming support? If so he/she should be more specific.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
hytekjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_J View Post
Android support is there. Even Kindle Fire support.

I presume the original poster is referring to streaming support? If so he/she should be more specific.
I'm talking about streaming.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
jadziedzic

Maybe they should have named the product "Rumorio"?
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
ilovedvrs

ANDROID!!!!! We need it now....
I hate iOS....
ilovedvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Sorry just because a product doesn't offer the features you want doesn't make it half baked.

Also for a company to say they plan on updating a products software and adding features over time is standard operating procedure for pretty much everything so that doesn't make a product half baked either.

What makes something half baked is when the features they are offering now don't work correctly or at all. That is why the Premiere was a half baked (maybe 1/4 baked?) product. When released it just did not work as advertised.

If the Roamio line of DVRs suffer from being half backed is yet to be seen, but all indications are that they are not.
There is a difference between features "I want" and what TiVo has stated themselves that are "coming soon", specifically Android support and DTA for the Mini.

Has everyone become so complacent with TiVo's product deployments that they are not getting my point? They are releasing a brand new product, and ADVERTISING the future additions to it! Stop with the "coming soon" and "we're working on it".

That's the point I'm trying to make. It's NOT what "I want" but the fact that they are again deploying hardware that's not quite 100%!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Grakthis

FWIW, I agree with the sentiment here, if not the exact language.

Clearly, however, another poster (Dave IIRC?) has raised some valid points about how the Android OS doesn't support the base streaming method used by the Stream and it requires a third party control to make it work and there could have easily been some "sitting on it" type delays while TiVo waited and hoped for android to support it natively. So i am sympathetic to TiVo's situation... you don't want to re-write your entire protocol to support android, so you need to get android to support your protocol.

I'm not buying a Roamio until it supports android with the streaming functionality. But I'm also not mad that the Roamio doesn't support it out of the box... I'm not MAD that TiVo is losing my money. I like my money. When TiVo gets around to supporting my OS of choice, I'll get around to buying their new box.

*shrug*
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
FWIW, I agree with the sentiment here, if not the exact language.

Clearly, however, another poster (Dave IIRC?) has raised some valid points about how the Android OS doesn't support the base streaming method used by the Stream and it requires a third party control to make it work and there could have easily been some "sitting on it" type delays while TiVo waited and hoped for android to support it natively. So i am sympathetic to TiVo's situation... you don't want to re-write your entire protocol to support android, so you need to get android to support your protocol.

I'm not buying a Roamio until it supports android with the streaming functionality. But I'm also not mad that the Roamio doesn't support it out of the box... I'm not MAD that TiVo is losing my money. I like my money. When TiVo gets around to supporting my OS of choice, I'll get around to buying their new box.

*shrug*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
At least you get my gist.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
BigJimOutlaw

We can all understand the sentiment, we just don't need to hear it repeated ad nauseam in every other thread. We heard you the first 50 times.

We get it. Delays suck.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
There is a difference between features "I want" and what TiVo has stated themselves that are "coming soon", specifically Android support and DTA for the Mini.

Has everyone become so complacent with TiVo's product deployments that they are not getting my point? They are releasing a brand new product, and ADVERTISING the future additions to it! Stop with the "coming soon" and "we're working on it".

That's the point I'm trying to make. It's NOT what "I want" but the fact that they are again deploying hardware that's not quite 100%!
My understanding that Roamio DVRs & Mini combos support DTA now. Maybe I dreamed reading that but we will certainly find out soon.

Regarding streaming support to Android devices, while I have been vocal that it should be provided nowhere on TiVos web site or sales info does TiVo mention supporting Android devices, instead they specifically state they only support IOS devices. If we like it or not they are selling a streaming device that only supports IOS nothing else promised, so yes you are complaining about not having a feature you want that is not currently being offered.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
trip1eX

If this is why you wanted to buy a Roamio then don't buy.

Obviously any features "coming soon" are caveat emptor especially given Tivo's track record.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm kind of confused from all the reviews as to what the Roamio does out of the box and what's supposedly coming in the Fall update. A lot of the reviews mention DTA and outside the home streaming, but some seemed as if they had actually tried it while others indicated it was coming later. I'm going to hold off a few days and see what the reviews from users on this site say first.

I'm also debating heavily on whether I want the Plus or the Pro. I'm not sure 1TB is enough for me, but I'm also not sure I want to pay $200 for a 2TB upgrade. Hmmm.... Decisions, decisions
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
Grakthis

Quote:
We can all understand the sentiment, we just don't need to hear it repeated ad nauseam in every other thread. We heard you the first 50 times.

We get it. Delays suck.
Sometimes it is worth repeating a desired feature over and over again because it stresses to TiVo how much this is costing them. Maybe it's not much... but maybe it is?

Microsoft responded to people hating on the Xbox One by changing the entire DRM scheme. Companies do sometimes listen.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Grakthis

Quote:
Regarding streaming support to Android devices, while I have been vocal that it should be provided nowhere on TiVos web site or sales info does TiVo mention supporting Android devices, instead they specifically state they only support IOS devices. If we like it or not they are selling a streaming device that only supports IOS nothing else promised, so yes you are complaining about not having a feature you want that is not currently being offered.
TiVo has flat out said, on many occasions, that Android support is "coming." Pretending they have not said this by pointing to the website and showing that it doesn't say that on the website right now is bordering on dishonest. TiVo has promised this feature.

I agree you shouldn't buy hardware on a software promise, but pretending the promise hasn't been made is just bogus. It has.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
Riverdome

I think we have all learned that "Coming Soon" from Tivo doesn't always mean any day soon. We are an Android family and while I want the 6 tuners I'm not likely to pull the trigger until an Android solution is released. No problem, I don't mind hanging on to my OLED S3 and $1,300 a bit longer.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Sometimes it is worth repeating a desired feature over and over again because it stresses to TiVo how much this is costing them. Maybe it's not much... but maybe it is?

Microsoft responded to people hating on the Xbox One by changing the entire DRM scheme. Companies do sometimes listen.
Agreed. But when it's coming from the same couple of people, regularly thread-jacking topics to the point of annoying others, then it's a different matter.

Having others read things like "No DTA yet? OMFG Tivo fail!" over and over again, presumptively assuming future "failures", and calling Tivo out for pre-conceived "failures" of unannounced products is not constructive to anything but to make him feel better and blow off his pent-up steam. That's not consumer demand; it's just straight up internet whining.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
atmuscarella

Quote:
TiVo has flat out said, on many occasions, that Android support is "coming." Pretending they have not said this by pointing to the website and showing that it doesn't say that on the website right now is bordering on dishonest. TiVo has promised this feature.

I agree you shouldn't buy hardware on a software promise, but pretending the promise hasn't been made is just bogus. It has.
They have promised nothing, they may have leak or even stated what they are working on but that is in no way a promise. Many companies are working on many things that will never turn into a product or service. This has been going on for decades in many industries heck just look at all the concept cars that are at auto shows. TiVo currently offers a product for sale that they say is designed to stream video from a TiVo to an IOS device nothing more and as far as I know it does a pretty good job of doing what TiVo claims it does. This is not the same as how they marketed the Premiere, when it was released it really didn't function in the HDUI and certainly wasn't able to do anything near what the hype lead people to believe.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Grakthis

Quote:
Agreed. But when it's coming from the same couple of people, regularly thread-jacking topics to the point of annoying others, then it's a different matter.

Having others read things like "No DTA yet? OMFG Tivo fail!" over and over again, presumptively assuming future "failures", and calling Tivo out for pre-conceived "failures" of unannounced products is not constructive to anything but to make him feel better and blow off his pent-up steam. That's not consumer demand; it's just straight up internet whining.
Agree 100%. If you are mad about android, keep it to the android threads or make new threads or send angry e-mails. Don't hijack other threads.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #25
Grakthis

Quote:
They have promised nothing, they may have leak or even stated what they are working on but that is in no way a promise. Many companies are working on many things that will never turn into a product or service. This has been going on for decades in many industries heck just look at all the concept cars that are at auto shows. TiVo currently offers a product for sale that they say is designed to stream video from a TiVo to an IOS device nothing more and as far as I know it does a pretty good job of doing what TiVo claims it does. This is not the same as how they marketed the Premiere, when it was released it really didn't function in the HDUI and certainly wasn't able to do anything near what the hype lead people to believe.
This is just flat out incorrect. I don't know if you weren't paying attention when the Stream came out or if you weren't around or what, but they absolutely, undeniably said it was coming soon. When a company says a feature is in the works through official channels (not leaks, official channels) that is a promise.

If your argument is that sometimes companies promise things they do not deliver, that is true, but is totally irrelevant. If a company promises you something then doe snot deliver, you should be mad about that. So going "well, companies sometimes punch everyone in the balls" does not make it OK to get punched in the balls.

Stop being an apologist. This is a clear open/shut topic. TiVo said android support was coming, and android support has not arrived. That is a failure by TiVo to deliver on a promise and is a valid basis for customers to be unhappy.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm kind of confused from all the reviews as to what the Roamio does out of the box and what's supposedly coming in the Fall update. A lot of the reviews mention DTA and outside the home streaming, but some seemed as if they had actually tried it while others indicated it was coming later. I'm going to hold off a few days and see what the reviews from users on this site say first.

I'm also debating heavily on whether I want the Plus or the Pro. I'm not sure 1TB is enough for me, but I'm also not sure I want to pay $200 for a 2TB upgrade. Hmmm.... Decisions, decisions
DTA was added today to the Minis, at least for use with a Roamio. Not sure about with a Premiere. This is per a tweet from @TivoDesign.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #27
hytekjosh

Anything about PC software? When I'm traveling and staying in a hotel, I'd like to watch on my PC. That is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo hasn't said a word about the PC client, or even a Windows 8 app, so who knows what's going on there. Although they did show some sort of browser based UI at the cable show so maybe that'll be the way they support streaming on other devices.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
Anything about PC software? When I'm traveling and staying in a hotel, I'd like to watch on my PC. That is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
It seems like a no-brainer to work on a windows 8 app. The question is, do you make it run on RT or just make it for Pro?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
It seems like a no-brainer to work on a windows 8 app. The question is, do you make it run on RT or just make it for Pro?
There are some technical limitations that make it not as easy as it sounds for either. However if the make an actual Win8 app, and not a desktop app, then it should work on either RT or Pro. It's basically just a compiler switch unless you start diving heavily into the DirectX stuff for games and such.