TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Question Trying to understand the value of built-in WiFi

Unless I'm a non-technical user that has NO wireless router in their house, what is the value of built-in WiFi in the new Roamio units? Doesn't seem to be a benefit for tablet or smartphone as remotes or viewing.

Possibly...

- Enables quicker transfers between Roamio <-> Roamio/Mini/Stream units around the house?
- Just removes requirement for Ethernet cable in config? (Tivo <-> Router)

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by TBoyd : 08-20-2013 at 12:37 PM.
TBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
waterchange

For those who don't have hardwired ethernet ports in their house, a Roamio could use this connection to download guide data & updates via your wireless network without requiring you to purchase a separate wifi adapter.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
zundian

Yeah, it's not that it's providing Wi-fi, it's that you don't need to buy an adapter as with older units.
zundian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Minimal - with MOCA available it makes little sense to add it, so much functionality is unsupported with WIFI...

But the 12 year olds on the tech blogs keep bitching about it - so it was probably a cheap add.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Smile Got it!

OK, Thanks all!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
MOCA still requires you add another adapter to your setup (unless you already have MOCA connectivity for your internet, of course). For someone who isn't going to care about live streaming between TiVo devices, WiFi is an easy solution, and while it may not be universal, it is easily available to most anybody, probably for less than the cost of a MOCA adapter and usually less costly than it would take to install in-wall wiring. And possibly even cheaper for many people than buying wiring and just laying it on the floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchange View Post
For those who don't have hardwired ethernet ports in their house, a Roamio could use this connection to download guide data & updates via your wireless network without requiring you to purchase a separate wifi adapter.
That's basically how I'll use it. My current TiVo has a hardwired connection to my router, which would be nice to get rid of. Besides, guide data & updates don't really need the extra speed.

Does TiVo use WiFi Protected Setup for the builtin WiFi? I'd hate to have to type in my router's WPA2 password using TiVo's clunky interface.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Does TiVo use WiFi Protected Setup for the builtin WiFi? I'd hate to have to type in my router's WPA2 password using TiVo's clunky interface.
It supports security standards, yes. The password only needs to be plugged in once.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
It supports security standards, yes. The password only needs to be plugged in once.
So it doesn't support WPS. The whole point of WPS is that you don't need to type in the password.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
So it doesn't support WPS. The whole point of WPS is that you don't need to type in the password.
I always tpye in the password. I never use WPS on devices that have it. That is one of the features I've always disabled in my routers.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
trip1eX

Quote:
That's basically how I'll use it. My current TiVo has a hardwired connection to my router, which would be nice to get rid of.
Why would it be nice to get rid of your hard wired connection?

Unless you plan on moving your router or something then I can see it I guess.

But as far as streaming to an ipad goes it would be better I think to keep the Tivo hard wired. Otherwise you are using twice the wireless bandwidth to stream something. Wireless bandwidth is not always in great supply. Not that this is an application you care about.

Last edited by trip1eX : 08-20-2013 at 01:41 PM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
trip1eX

But obviously the built-in wifi is for guide data for anyone without a router or ethernet network next to their Tivo which I would assume is the majority of consumers. It makes your Tivo ready to go out of the box.

wifi direct also a possibility ( without knowing if the included chipset actually supports this or not.) But if so then you would get more latency-free control of your tivo via a mobile device than you can now.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Why would it be nice to get rid of your hard wired connection?
Less clutter. Fewer wires to route, untangle, and get horribly dusty. I have a 1-bd apartment so streaming isn't an important consideration.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
MOCA still requires you add another adapter to your setup (unless you already have MOCA connectivity for your internet, of course). For someone who isn't going to care about live streaming between TiVo devices, WiFi is an easy solution, and while it may not be universal, it is easily available to most anybody, probably for less than the cost of a MOCA adapter and usually less costly than it would take to install in-wall wiring. And possibly even cheaper for many people than buying wiring and just laying it on the floor.
Can you bridge the Moca with the built in Wireless like I do now with a RJ45 and Moca on the TP-4, saves buying a Moca adapter.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
trip1eX

Quote:
Less clutter. Fewer wires to route, untangle, and get horribly dusty. I have a 1-bd apartment so streaming isn't an important consideration.
Oh sorry were you running a cable across a room or something? I forgot that is an obvious reason to get rid of a hard wired connection. I had a few wires running across a room when I moved to my new place until I wired my house for cat6. I just imagine I would connect a long wire once a week overnight to my Tivo instead of buying a Tivo wifi adapter.

I mean otherwise would clutter really be reduced by having 1 less wire when you have to have at least 2 wires as it is?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
tvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Can you bridge the Moca with the built in Wireless like I do now with a RJ45 and Moca on the TP-4, saves buying a Moca adapter.
Great point. I needed a MOCA adapter near my router for the P XL4 in the other room (because there was no internet in my main viewing area). Since it's wireless, do I still need a MOCA adapter near my router or does the wireless take care of that?
tvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Philmatic

If you don't have a Wireless router then built in Wireless doesn't benefit you at all.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I mean otherwise would clutter really be reduced by having 1 less wire when you have to have at least 2 wires as it is?
Not substantially, I suppose.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
If you don't have a Wireless router then built in Wireless doesn't benefit you at all.
Confuscious says ......
Old 08-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Great point. I needed a MOCA adapter near my router for the P XL4 in the other room (because there was no internet in my main viewing area). Since it's wireless, do I still need a MOCA adapter near my router or does the wireless take care of that?

I am assuming that he has a wireless router, my question is can you bridge the wireless with the Moca that built in the Roamio.

Can we use R-4, R-6, R-6pro when talking about the Series 5 Roamio ??

Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
tvn

Quote:

I am assuming that he has a wireless router, my question is can you bridge the wireless with the Moca that built in the Roamio.

That's my question. Of course I have a wireless router.
tvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Minimal - with MOCA available it makes little sense to add it, so much functionality is unsupported with WIFI...

But the 12 year olds on the tech blogs keep bitching about it - so it was probably a cheap add.
What a really dumb thing to say. Tivo requires an internet connection to work. Since day one there have always been threads about getting a hard wire to the Tivo. There were entire threads about people bringing their box to a neighbors house for it to dial in (back in the phone jack days). Increasingly people do not have hardwire network connections near their Tivos. Tivo wifi adapters still cost more than $50. Putting wifi into a Tivo is cheap as you pointed out. Tivo is artificially increasing the cost of the box to the consumer by $50-$150 by requiring you to supply either a MOCA or WiFI adapter. The only 12 year olds, are ones running Tivo who took this long to add WiFi and their apologist.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvn View Post
That's my question. Of course I have a wireless router.
It will remain to be seen if the new TiVo bridge MoCA/Ethernet & Wireless together passively. We know that MoCA & Ethernet are bridged by default, but Wireless would provide a whole new useful feature.

My *hunch* is that it is not, but we will see when people start receiving them tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
mchief
Morey

Another question. If I buy a Plus and keep one of my HDs will I be able to transfer shows between the two. Both on ethernet
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Philmatic

If you can transfer them now, yes. This assumes that the copy bit has not been set for those recording.

You CANNOT stream across the two, simply because the TiVo HD never got that capability.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
mchief
Morey

Thanks, no copy bit to fool with on non-premium channels.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
Bigg

The Wifi could provide internet to a MoCA-connected network of a Roamio, Premieres, and Minis. I'd rather have it hardwired, but it might work OK in certain situations. And OP, how the heck do you not have a Wifi router? That's been standard since laptops came around, and now smartphones and tablets that don't even have an OPTION for ethernet.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #28
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
Another question. If I buy a Plus and keep one of my HDs will I be able to transfer shows between the two. Both on ethernet
Theoretically yes, but I have not been able to transfer shows TO my TivoHD from my Premiere 4 for quite a while now. *Originally*, it was only being unable to transfer from paused point. Nowadays, it seems like I can't transfer at all. I have rebooted both several times.

I wrote up a problem at the official Tivo forums, and am going to update it
http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=11101307
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
consumedsoul

Been using Roamio Basic (wireless) for a few days with Stream, transfer to my iPad has been about the same (in some cases faster oddly, testing with 1 hr shows) as my old Premier (wired/ethernet).

Glad to not have a cable going across the hallway now.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Does anyone know... Can the TiVo be used as an access point for other wifi devices and bridge the connection to MoCa or Ethernet? My TV has something like this, but it only works when it's on so I still use a standalone AP. But the TiVo is always on so it might actually make a good AP.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote