TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Riverdome

TWC only mailing self install cable cards?

Shocking story I know but TWC is requiring me to either accept a truck roll to have my cable cards installed or wait 5 days to receive them in the mail.

They have already sent 2 techs and 7 cable cards to the house and I'm tired of making time to babysit the tech while he's in my home. Has anyone had any luck circumventing the claim that they must mail cable cards to the customer? '
I'm in NorthWest Ohio using the Bowling Green office, if that matters at all.
Riverdome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
moyekj

You should be able to stop by a retail TWC office and pick up a CableCard there yourself, just like you can pickup a TWC set top box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You should be able to stop by a retail TWC office and pick up a CableCard there yourself, just like you can pickup a TWC set top box.
With TWC, this is often only true for the larger metropolitan areas. I'm in central Ohio, with a retail office in town, but for a CableCard self-install kit, I have to drive 30 miles to the Columbus, OH office.

This could be a policy change since I got my card mid-2012, or, for the OP, the the nearest metro office with self-install kits is likely ~25 miles away in Toledo, OH.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

To get a TWC cable card I have to drive 35 to 40 mins one way. There are two closer offices but they don't provide cable cards or TA's. To make things worse one of their support reps told me on the phone that one of the closer offices could provide the cards, so I drove an additional 20 miles out of the way before finding out that was wrong. (They did give me a small credit for that, after I created a scene.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Riverdome

Well I had a no call no show TWC appointment yesterday. No need to drag this on much longer, I have a local cable co that would love my business. Wanted to give TWC a shot so I could get the NHL network but I have my limits. If the install isn't completed by the end of the weekend I'll pull the plug. Even if it is based on what I've read here I expect the TA to screw up often enough that I won't be a customer for long.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
MeInDallas

If your local cable company doesnt use tuning adapters I'd be camped out at their front door in the morning!
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
If your local cable company doesnt use tuning adapters I'd be camped out at their front door in the morning!
+1 Wish I had such a choice! Even better would be if they didn't copy protect almost all channels like TWC does.

and
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Hey moyekj, since you are on this thread, would KMTTG not work with copy-protected SD digital non-premium cable channels? (TCM, History, Discovery, A&E, etc) I am still using Time Warner analog service at this point and I suspect that going to Time Warner digital might kill the whole thing.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
+1 Wish I had such a choice! Even better would be if they didn't copy protect almost all channels like TWC does.
I do too! Everyone on the other side of the highway from me has Verizon FiOS, but on this side its either TWC or Uverse, and my street isnt wired for Uverse TV yet (never will be), so TWC is the best I can do. I would go with Directv but I'm not getting locked into a 2 year contract. The first year looks pretty good, but that 2nd year I'll pay way more than what I'm paying TWC now.

Hopefully that 6 tuner DCX3600 will come out soon. I'm dying to try it.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Riverdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
They do but in the 2 years I've had their TA I've missed 1-2 recordings. Funny that it's all the same Motorola hardware it's just TWC that can't seem to figure out how to make it work.

Oh well, one more tech on Sunday and then I'm back to good 'ol Buckeye Cable here in Ohio.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Most TWC systems use Cisco TA's. Where are you located? Each node (several hundred taps in a neighborhood) has it's own dedicated SDV equipment plus electronics at each tap (typically serving two houses). There's lots of room for error regardless whether the system is Motorola or Cisco (unfortunately).

and
Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Riverdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Most TWC systems use Cisco TA's. Where are you located? Each node (several hundred taps in a neighborhood) has it's own dedicated SDV equipment plus electronics at each tap (typically serving two houses). There's lots of room for error regardless whether the system is Motorola or Cisco (unfortunately).
I'm in Perrysburg Oh, south of Toledo.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
Shocking story I know but TWC is requiring me to either accept a truck roll to have my cable cards installed or wait 5 days to receive them in the mail.

They have already sent 2 techs and 7 cable cards to the house and I'm tired of making time to babysit the tech while he's in my home. Has anyone had any luck circumventing the claim that they must mail cable cards to the customer? '
I'm in NorthWest Ohio using the Bowling Green office, if that matters at all.
Here in Columbus, Ohio a few months ago I was able to go to the Customer Service Center and pick up the cable cards myself bring them home and just call a 1-888 number and install them with the help of the TWC national cablecard help line.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Riverdome

My last truck roll and magically the first two cards they attempt worked. So after 7 "failed" cards I am to believe that they finally found 2 good cards. I'm not buying it, the issue was on the other end and my tech was lucky enough to get a rep that knew what s/he was doing when activating cable cards. So for now I'm a TWC customer. Thankfully I have another option should the TA not work up to my expectations.