TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 764
Summer Marathons!

(Yeah, I still hate the term "binge".)

Lots of good stuff on my marathon list. Gonna be a busy summer:

The Americans
Better Call Saul
Home Fires
Indian Summers
Game of Thrones
Peaky Blinders
Preacher
Turn

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
series5orpremier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 835
I'm with you on The Americans and at some point I'll check out Preacher to see if I'll commit to it. I have every episode of GOT, never watched a single one, but not sure I'll have time to watch them this summer. Also on my list are

The Wire (entire series)
Strike Back (entire series)
The Twilight Zone (entire series)
Classic Dr. Who
Band of Brothers
The Night Manager
Shameless (entire series)
Californication

and over 100 movies.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In front of my computer
Posts: 954
Already started my summer marathon (might last a week) of Breaking Bad. Its a first watch for me. I might do a rewatch of Mr. Robot before the 2nd season starts. Rob Has a Website's group is doing a podcast for it which I've been following.


tta

__________________
Are they taping this? -April, in the Diary Room, on BB6
tivotvaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
brianric
Registered User
 
brianric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsville, NJ
Posts: 1,328
Marvel's Agents of Shield - 21 episodes
Elementary - 21 episodes
Bates Motel - 13 episodes
The Eighties - 4 episodes

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
I'm with you on The Americans and at some point I'll check out Preacher to see if I'll commit to it. I have every episode of GOT, never watched a single one, but not sure I'll have time to watch them this summer. Also on my list are

The Wire (entire series)
Strike Back (entire series)
The Twilight Zone (entire series)
Classic Dr. Who
Band of Brothers
The Night Manager
Shameless (entire series)
Californication

and over 100 movies.
The Wire, BOB and GOT are probably some of the best tv series that have ever aired. Strike Back, especially the first two seasons, is an excellent action series.

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivotvaddict View Post
Already started my summer marathon (might last a week) of Breaking Bad. Its a first watch for me. I might do a rewatch of Mr. Robot before the 2nd season starts. Rob Has a Website's group is doing a podcast for it which I've been following.


tta
First time thru BB? You're in for a treat. Another of the all-time greats.

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 99,360
Next Saturday (6th June 2016), FX will run a Fargo season 2 marathon. All 10 episodes back to back

__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In front of my computer
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
First time thru BB? You're in for a treat. Another of the all-time greats.
Almost through season 2, which has been a great one! I've tried to get into thi show before but found the first few episodes really tough to get through. Sooo depressing. I enjoy dark shows (GOT, Americans, Sopranos), but for some reason this one didn't grab me. However, Better Call Saul provided motivation for me to give it another go-round. Super glad it did, because once I hit Crazy Handful of Nothin' .... well then I was hooked.

tta

__________________
Are they taping this? -April, in the Diary Room, on BB6
tivotvaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #9
Beryl
Registered User
 
Beryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,861
Grimm Series
The Wire Series (maybe)

First time for both.

__________________
HD XL
Premiere
Roamio Plus
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
loubob57
Cancer sucks!
 
loubob57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 26,544
TC CLUB MEMBER
Just finished S1 of Better Call Saul.

__________________
Well boys, I reckon this is it: nuclear combat, toe to toe with the Russkies.
loubob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #11
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 4,256
I try to keep up with anything broadcast just so I don't have to binge on anything. That being said, I've got a backlog of shows I've collected that I still need to get through:

Aquarius
Hemlock Grove, Season 3
Orange is the New Black, Season 4
Banshee, Season 4
Bosch, Seasons 1 & 2
Ash vs. Evil Dead
House of Cards, Season 4
Daredevil, Season 2
Misfits, Seasons 2 thru 5
Sense8
Inside Amy Schumer, all seasons
Longmire, Season 4
Making a Murderer
The Man in the High Castle
Stan Lee's Lucky Man
The Knick, Season 2
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Seasons 1 & 2
The Girlfriend Experience

...and many others. I've watched one or two episodes of many of these shows but just haven't had the time to go back and watch the rest of them. And that doesn't even take into account the movies on my server (close to 1,000 last time I checked). I've still got a lot of season finales yet to watch from this past season.

Too many shows, so little time.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
series5orpremier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Next Saturday (6th June 2016), FX will run a Fargo season 2 marathon. All 10 episodes back to back
The great thing about this was they cut way, way back on the excessive padding of commercials that were in the original airings. To fit each episode into one hour several episodes were nearly commercial-free, and they didn't cut anything from the episodes.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
The great thing about this was they cut way, way back on the excessive padding of commercials that were in the original airings. To fit each episode into one hour several episodes were nearly commercial-free, and they didn't cut anything from the episodes.
Commercials? With a DVR? Unheard of!!

__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,194
I'm going to continue my multi-summer binge on Dexter (almost done with S7 so not much more to go). I may revisit (for about the 10th time!!) binging Lost again. I'll binge the new Roots at some point. Between that, baseball, The Olympics and Big Brother, that should take care of my summer. Don't think I'll have room for much else.

__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
series5orpremier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Commercials?
I'd rather use my disk space for something other than 3 hours of them.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Marvel's Agents of Shield - 21 episodes
Elementary - 21 episodes
Bates Motel - 13 episodes
The Eighties - 4 episodes
Brian - I hope you checked on your 'The Eighties' episodes to make sure that what you recorded was what you thought you recorded.

I find that about 30% of the time, when recording CNN series, that there could be a news piece, or sometimes just a last minute schedule change, that precludes the show that is on the guide. If you wait too long, the episodes are gone from airings.

This happened to me, for example, with the last TWO episodes of 'The Eighties'. It happened numerous other times with the other two series of this franchise, Bourdain shows, etc.

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #17
brianric
Registered User
 
brianric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsville, NJ
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Brian - I hope you checked on your 'The Eighties' episodes to make sure that what you recorded was what you thought you recorded.

I find that about 30% of the time, when recording CNN series, that there could be a news piece, or sometimes just a last minute schedule change, that precludes the show that is on the guide. If you wait too long, the episodes are gone from airings.

This happened to me, for example, with the last TWO episodes of 'The Eighties'. It happened numerous other times with the other two series of this franchise, Bourdain shows, etc.
I had two that had news instead of one of the series. I have the Tivo to record everything including dups, and now check the show once it is recorded to make sure it did get recorded. I'm up to episode 7, missing episode 3, that was the one after the Regan Revolution but before Tear Down This Wall.

The 70ies & 80ies series are important to me because I missed a lot with TV, pop music, the news, etc due to military service in the Navy from 1974 to 1982. I was a little bit making history instead of reading history as I was stationed onboard the Nimitz when we shot those Libyan planes in the Gulf of Sidra and had libery port in Venice curtailed when the Nimitz made a high spin run to Egypt when Sadat was assassinated. The Nimitz was also on high standby alert in case England had troubles in their war in the Falkland Islands. If the British lost an aircraft carrier my enlistment would have been frozen, as I had four months left in the US Navy.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #18
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,757
Oh good! Glad you are on top of it, Brian! You are smarter than I!

I have managed to get all of them except the AIDS episode. Hopefully, the next airing I have scheduled will air. But it took me 2 or 3 times to get a couple of them.

I was in Germany for the first half of the 70s (service peripheral) so I hear you about missing stuff going on back here! It's interesting how people often don't realize that, while you're out of the country serving, there is so much going on here of which you are (well, probably WERE since technology now) totally unaware.

All we had for TV were a couple of German channels so, back then, we didn't really know what was going on here.

Glad you made it back!

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #19
brianric
Registered User
 
brianric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsville, NJ
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Glad you made it back!
Me too!

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #20
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Oh good! Glad you are on top of it, Brian! You are smarter than I!

I have managed to get all of them except the AIDS episode. Hopefully, the next airing I have scheduled will air. But it took me 2 or 3 times to get a couple of them.

I was in Germany for the first half of the 70s (service peripheral) so I hear you about missing stuff going on back here! It's interesting how people often don't realize that, while you're out of the country serving, there is so much going on here of which you are (well, probably WERE since technology now) totally unaware.

All we had for TV were a couple of German channels so, back then, we didn't really know what was going on here.

Glad you made it back!
Separate thread for CNN's The Eighties, complete with discussion about the pre-emptions.

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #21
brianric
Registered User
 
brianric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsville, NJ
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Separate thread for CNN's The Eighties, complete with discussion about the pre-emptions.
Maybe if you read more discussions in this thread you would understand what led to the discussion of CNN's The Eighties.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #22
mostman
Registered User
 
mostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 528
Is the Saul marathon season 2? When is it? I couldn't find it.

mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #23
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
Is the Saul marathon season 2? When is it? I couldn't find it.
Not sure what you mean by "couldn't find it" but, yeah, it's season 2, which ended 4/18.

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #24
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 28,451
I need to binge Banshee and Peaky Blinders

__________________

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #25
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,920
Wow I need suggestions, the only show I have set to binge so far is Veep

__________________
~Cristina~
Guess again
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #26
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Wow I need suggestions, the only show I have set to binge so far is Veep
Do you know if this is the last season for 'Veep'? I just watched the most current ep and recall seeing, at the end, 'only x episodes left' (it was 2 or 3, can't remember which).

I was surprised when watching the current episode of 'House of Lies' that the next episode is the last episode for the series.

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #27
lambertman
Sorry, Ladies!
 
lambertman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,118
Veep is renewed for 2017.

__________________
"People should get beat up for stating their beliefs" - TMBG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at NineStar Connect
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #28
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Veep is renewed for 2017.
Thanks! I probably should have looked it up, yes? Thanks for not jumping on me. I usually look stuff up but seem to be somewhat braindead today.

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #29
lambertman
Sorry, Ladies!
 
lambertman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,118
I like sharing good news such as that

__________________
"People should get beat up for stating their beliefs" - TMBG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at NineStar Connect
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #30
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Wow I need suggestions, the only show I have set to binge so far is Veep
If you access to Brit tv there are some reallllly great show suggestions in "The Official British TV Shows Thread". I watch as much Brit tv as U.S. these days.

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2016 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.
Page generated in 0.24060988 seconds (81.59% PHP - 18.41% MySQL) with 17 queries