Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Wayward Pines - Season 2 Thread - *spoilers*

I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

Ben has started a revolution against the First Generation kids that are controlling the town. Public reckonings have returned. Kate is captured and fights back, eventually choosing to die rather than continue to be a part of the town. Jason Patric's character is a doctor thawed out to help save Kate, but by the end of the episode he's placed in a van with Ben and another rebel and put outside the town to be devoured by the Abbies.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
wprager

Wait, what, I missed it?

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Wait, what, I missed it?
The first episode aired last night. I'm sure you can find it On Demand or on Hulu or FOXNow or magical means.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
wprager

I was hoping they'd re-air it on Saturday but see nothing. On-demand it is.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

They've gotten rid of all of the "high end" talent and cut the cost of the show, changing the storyline in the process (now the kids run the town). Found the episode a real let down.

Also, as I recall in the first season some people were able to go back and forth to the "real world" and Wayward Pines at will. If indeed the timeline is 2000 years in the future, was that ever explained?

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Also, as I recall in the first season some people were able to go back and forth to the "real world" and Wayward Pines at will. If indeed the timeline is 2000 years in the future, was that ever explained?
They weren't. It was just a trick of the timeline (i.e., the scenes in the real world took place before everything else).

Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
Cainebj

I actually was surprised to see as many of the Season 1 cast as we did.
So Matt Dillon and Melissa Leo the nurse are gone. Big whoop.

Spoiler:
Didn't they both die in S1?

It's not brilliant TV but I enjoyed it. The jury is still out on Jason Patric as the lead though...

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Found the episode a real let down.
Likewise. This new twist seems like it'll be some juvenile post-apocalypstic soap opera like 'The 100'. I suppose there's an advertising segment to which that appeals... that's just not our household. Lord of the Flies, in post-societal suburbs? Nah, I'll pass...

The blonde in the wheelchair is the new replacement for the nurse ratchet they had last season. They'll no doubt keep her around for far too long.

Quote:
No, they never went back/forth. It was written to make it feel like that, as a means to hide the whole two thousand years after the apocalypse angle.

Too many shows try to morph into having larger back stories and relationships. This generally wrecks the show for me. Larger story arcs can work, but not if they suffer under the weight of all kinds of inter-character drama along the way. There's enough of that junk in real life, let the shows remain entertainment.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Likewise. This new twist seems like it'll be some juvenile post-apocalypstic soap opera like 'The 100'.
The 100 is a pretty amazing show, so that would be great. I do not have high hopes that this will live up to that level, however...

Old 05-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
The blonde in the wheelchair is the new replacement for the nurse ratchet they had last season. They'll no doubt keep her around for far too long.
She's not the "new" anything. She is Megan Fisher, the high school teacher who taught the kids about the Abbies and is the faculty adviser to that "cult" they call the First Generation. While Nurse Pam softened up over the course of S1, Megan was always a hard-line extremist.

She wasn't in a wheelchair during the first season. I can't remember if she got injured in the S1 finale or if that's something that happened in the three years since.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They weren't. It was just a trick of the timeline (i.e., the scenes in the real world took place before everything else).
Quote:
No, they never went back/forth. It was written to make it feel like that, as a means to hide the whole two thousand years after the apocalypse angle.

Too many shows try to morph into having larger back stories and relationships. This generally wrecks the show for me. Larger story arcs can work, but not if they suffer under the weight of all kinds of inter-character drama along the way. There's enough of that junk in real life, let the shows remain entertainment.
Thanks guys.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
getreal
postcrastinator

I enjoyed the first Season (expecting it to only have that Season), but felt that the story rapidly fell apart towards the end. I tried watching this, but since the 2,000 year time jump is a known thing, it no longer intrigues me. And I do not enjoy the 20-year old authoritarians. I'm out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
wprager

Quote:
This new twist seems like it'll be some juvenile post-apocalypstic soap opera like 'The 100'.
Just as an aside, The 100 made Rolling Stone's list of top 40 all-time Sci Fi shows. This is not a joke.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Just as an aside, The 100 made Rolling Stone's list of top 40 all-time Sci Fi shows. This is not a joke.
And it shouldn't be. The show is that good.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
john4200

Quote:
And it shouldn't be. The show is that good.
Yup, it is almost as good as The Shanarra Chronicles.

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #16
stellie93

I read the books after watching the first season, and they're way past anything in them now. I thought the first season and the books were really good, but not so sure about where they're going next. It's strange that everyone seems to know where and when they are now, but they still act like they don't.

(I agree, The 100 is very good.)

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I read the books after watching the first season, and they're way past anything in them now. I thought the first season and the books were really good, but not so sure about where they're going next. It's strange that everyone seems to know where and when they are now, but they still act like they don't.
This episode had a mix of people who did know where and when they are, and people who didn't. So that could explain your confusion. Which of the characters that are supposed to know were acting like they didn't?

Old 05-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #18
stellie93

I was assuming that since the big blow-up at the end of last season, everyone knew what was outside Wayward Pines. I guess they could just keep unfreezing new people and go back to plan A--or maybe I'm confusing the books and the show.

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I guess they could just keep unfreezing new people and go back to plan A--or maybe I'm confusing the books and the show.
They clearly are unfreezing new people (e.g., the doctor), so it's a question of how many have been unfrozen since Season 1 ended, and how much those people know.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #20
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
She wasn't in a wheelchair during the first season. I can't remember if she got injured in the S1 finale or if that's something that happened in the three years since.

I remember her standing by the entrance as the abby's overran the compound. It was assume she died. I guess she got better.

For the life of me i can remember who Kate was. What did she do in the first season?

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I remember her standing by the entrance as the abby's overran the compound. It was assume she died. I guess she got better.

For the life of me i can remember who Kate was. What did she do in the first season?
She was the FBI agent that was the partner of Matt Dillon's character (Ethan). She went missing and he went to look for her and that's how he ended up in WP. When he talked to her about it, she had been there 14 years and was married, while he had seen her just a few days before.

Ethan and Kate had an affair at some point, so Ethan's wife was very suspicious when he went off to look for Kate and didn't come back, which is what prompted her and Ben to go looking for him and why they ended up in WP as well.

Kate and her husband had a shop where they made wooden toys and were involved in the resistance, and I seem to recall that he was killed toward the end of S1.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #22
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
She's not the "new" anything.
Since they killed off the nurse, this character appears to be taking her place, new in that sense. Yes, I was aware of her being in the past season and the role played.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #23
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Since they killed off the nurse, this character appears to be taking her place, new in that sense. Yes, I was aware of her being in the past season and the role played.

The nurse isn't dead. She was put back in storage, so they could theoretically bring her back. Though I doubt we'll see her.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #24
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
How is Megan Fisher taking Nurse Pam's place? If you were to go back and re-watch the last several episodes of S1, you'd remember that Megan was always the fanatic that was blindly following Pilcher and supporting his fascist, dictatorial leadership style, while Pam started to really waver and question what he was doing and ultimately turned on him.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #25
Beryl

This series is another decent summertime filler. I'm in --- again.

Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #26
rharmelink

Jason is delusional if he thinks the abbies aren't a threat because they were able to stop them from suiciding against the electric fence. At least one got over the wall. And that was with their full defense force, assuming they get there in time.

Suppose the abbies try it simultaneously at 4 or 5 spots along the wall? Or learn to pile something else up?

The very fact they tried something different should scare the bejeezus out of him.

rharmelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Why was Ben just hanging out in the corn field? Shouldn't he have found somewhere to hide?

Didn't those guys from the First Generation leave the bar to go help Ben? Where did they go?

Where are all the Abbies going? Did something draw them away, or have they formulated a plan to lull the town into a false sense of security?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #28
VegasVic
Craps Player

Nowhere near as enjoyable as season 1 (so far at least) but there isn't much on right now so it's a good enough 45 minutes to keep watching.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

If you have to harvest crops surrounded by forests filled with apex predators, I'm not sure the dead of night is the best time to do it...

Old 06-04-2016, 03:29 AM   #30
ej42137

Quote:
If you have to harvest crops surrounded by forests filled with apex predators, I'm not sure the dead of night is the best time to do it...
Exactly!

Perhaps they feel it's more fair to the abbies if they relinquish most of the advantage of long range weaponry by fighting in the dark.

In the books there were guys with long range sniper rifles who spent all day killing abbies from the top of the mountain, which made a lot more sense than fighting them in the dark without night-vision gear.

And how did they plant those crops? Besides the corn, there was truck produce that takes a lot of tending. If they had tractors, why didn't they use farm machinery to harvest the crops?

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote