TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #151
NoVa

For me - the Killer App is a whole home solution without me tearing out the walls to get it wired with high priced switches & splitters & RF remotes.

Roamio+Minis is that - maybe.
But the cost of equipment failure is high.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #152
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post

I'm very interested in hearing any experiences with cable/TA and the new device.

my situation is similar but not exact- regardless the upshot is the same, i don't see the 'killer app' yet.

Streaming outside the house would be close
help with the TA issue would be killer

i already have enough storage & tuners <see sig>
lol somehow my quoted name was changed to "d_scott"
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #153
wco81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
What is the value of a Premiere XL + Lifetime now?
I haven't shopped the market and my question wasn't rhetorical.

Just did a quick search on Craigslist and saw this. Not sure if it's the XL though:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/4011746484.html

Also this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Premier...-/161085332112

Of course in the wake of the new product announcements, these prices could decline.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #154
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
What is the value of a Premiere XL + Lifetime now?
about $450

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-PREMIER...item27d6166c20

but that's before these were announced.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #155
trip1eX

Wow the price is $400 for a good model. A bit surprised. I thought for sure $500.

No complaints so far except an idea that not many seem to put into use.

The remote could use a flipphone (old school cellphone) keyboard for searching. For example, you tap the number 2 once for A, twice for B and three times for C. Most of the time a few letters would get you to the show you are looking for. And you wouldn't have to bother with the hunt and peck on-screen letter selection method.

btw the name is kind of meh. You might use it in an ad or something. But the actual product name? Eh small complaint and like every product name you get used to it.

Last edited by trip1eX : 08-20-2013 at 10:52 AM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #156
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
I'm very disappointed that the 4-tuner model no longer supports antenna alongside cable like previous models did - it's now either/or and only has one RF input. On my S3 i record all my local stations over the roof antenna (PQ is better than cable version and i never miss a recording due to TA malfunctions), and i only use the CableCard tuner for the cable channels.
this reason is what will hopefully increase the value of my 2 premiere's and HD if i decide to sell them and go with the Roamio.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #157
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post
I have a question about the Roamio (basic, with OTA support) I didn't see answered yet:

Can I have an antenna AND digital cable (not using cable card, just the unencrypted channels) plugged into the same box?

My Tivo Series 3 has two separate inputs (one for cable, on for antenna), but the Roamio seems to have only one.

Tivo HD back panel: Video Link: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.hdbeat.com/media/2006/09/series3-back-2_sm.jpg

Roamio back panel: Video Link: http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/lCAUScfSXSA/maxresdefault.jpg)
It's either four tuners digital cable or or four tuners with OTA. No combination of the two.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #158
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbch View Post
Don't forget resale. Your math is like comparing a lease vs owning a car...though I think the TiVo holds its resale value more. I'd venture you'll be able to get roughly 50% of your investment back if you decide to sell within the next 3-4 years.
It's inconclusive & depends on the market needs.

I only have a couple of stats recently of sales on old TiVo's I made:

1) Premiere with 2 TB upgrade & NO Lifetime = Originally bought $200 - sold $80
2) S2 40 GB dual tuner with LIFETIME = Orignally bought $299 - sold $85

So residual value was: 40% & 28%
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #159
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
And no component outs. My current OTA premiere is hooked up to 2 TV's this way.
WHAT? The only Tivo that supports ATSC has no component outputs?

The lack of moca and stream were solveable with additional components. the lack of component outputs thus requiring unreliable DRM crippled HDMI only makes the base Roamio non-functional. No slingbox, no distribution etc.

So Tivo may have finally made a dead end for OTA users. The Premier is EOL and no functional replacement set of components. Really need to have ATSC on one of the higher end models.

THIS IS VERY BAD product planning. Very disappointed. Now I need to peruse the grey market for HDMI to component adaptors that disable DRM....Thanks Tivo.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #160
aindik

/subscribe

So, wait, TiVo still doesn't do Amazon Prime Streaming?

Anyone know the logic behind omitting OTA from the higher priced boxes? I don't get it.

I wonder what the resale value is of a TiVoHD with lifetime. I may have a couple of those to sell soon.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #161
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
It only lasts 1-2 years before it fails and erases all your recordings. It's like flushing money down the toilet.
Untrue... I've had one running since 2009 and it's still going strong.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #162
P42

@jcthorne Or buy a new TV and get HDMI inputs...

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #163
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
WHAT? The only Tivo that supports ATSC has no component outputs?

The lack of moca and stream were solveable with additional components. the lack of component outputs thus requiring unreliable DRM crippled HDMI only makes the base Roamio non-functional. No slingbox, no distribution etc.

So Tivo may have finally made a dead end for OTA users. The Premier is EOL and no functional replacement set of components. Really need to have ATSC on one of the higher end models.

THIS IS VERY BAD product planning. Very disappointed. Now I need to peruse the grey market for HDMI to component adaptors that disable DRM....Thanks Tivo.
calm down. look at the picture of the back, it has an AV breakout cable support. your anger has just been reduced by an extra $15.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #164
hungarianhc

I ordered the biggest one w/ lifetime service. It's a lot to pony up now, but I hate paying the monthly bill on TiVo now. It's so hard for me to justify haha. I'll be short term out the $ here, but given the pace of TiVo's hardware updates, I know I'll make the $ back. They won't update for another 2 - 3 years.
hungarianhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #165
NYHeel

I currently have 2 premieres each with upgraded 2TB drives that I'm paying monthly ($23 total at $13 + $10). I also have a Tivo Stream that I bought at full price last year. I wanted to upgrade to the Roamio Pro and a Mini. But with Lifetime I'm at $1,250 + tax. That's too much. Way too much. I'm just going to have to wait until pricing comes down, there's ugrade pricing or some kind of package deals with a Mini.

My other option is to get a Plus and wait for a drive upgrade option to be available. In the meantime I could offload my shows to an external drive. I do a lot of recording and it takes me a long time to watch the stuff. I currently have 4 TB of storage with my 2 premieres and I use about 75% of that so I need 3-4 TB of storage, though not all of it needs to be local.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #166
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
I ordered the biggest one w/ lifetime service. It's a lot to pony up now, but I hate paying the monthly bill on TiVo now. It's so hard for me to justify haha. I'll be short term out the $ here, but given the pace of TiVo's hardware updates, I know I'll make the $ back. They won't update for another 2 - 3 years.
you'll not "make the money back" - Tivo definitely is not an investment, so please don't treat it like that. You'll never get back what you put into it. As was showed above, you'd have to keep it for 6.5 years to break even with cable boxes - not 2-3 years.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #167
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I currently have 2 premieres each with upgraded 2TB drives that I'm paying monthly ($23 total at $13 + $10). I also have a Tivo Stream that I bought at full price last year. I wanted to upgrade to the Roamio Pro and a Mini. But with Lifetime I'm at $1,250 + tax. That's too much. Way too much. I'm just going to have to wait until pricing comes down, there's ugrade pricing or some kind of package deals with a Mini.

My other option is to get a Plus and wait for a drive upgrade option to be available. In the meantime I could offload my shows to an external drive. I do a lot of recording and it takes me a long time to watch the stuff. I currently have 4 TB of storage with my 2 premieres and I use about 75% of that so I need 3-4 TB of storage, though not all of it needs to be local.
drive upgrade option: eSata

Highslide JS

Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #168
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
you'll not "make the money back" - Tivo definitely is not an investment, so please don't treat it like that. You'll never get back what you put into it. As was showed above, you'd have to keep it for 6.5 years to break even with cable boxes - not 2-3 years.
The TiVo Mini, as compared to a second TiVo DVR with CableCard, will break me even in 33 months.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #169
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
it has a break out cable support. you will have to buy the extra cable to get analog outs.
Is that available?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #170
monkeydust

Quote:

Highslide JS
When you have an external drive, do you have the option of what gets stored on it (such as putting your movies on it and then moving the drive to a newer dvr)?
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #171
wco81

Quote:

Highslide JS
Is it any eSata drive or some specific models?

I'm using an eSata enclosure with a 2 TB drive for a Direct TV DVR now, would like to use that if I got one of the Roamio Plus models.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #172
ilovedvrs

Just got off the phone with sales.

I ordered my Roamio online 7AM EST.

They said it should ship today or tomorrow.
ilovedvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #173
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
When you have an external drive, do you have the option of what gets stored on it (such as putting your movies on it and then moving the drive to a newer dvr)?
Under the old system that has existed since the Series 3, no. You can only have one external drive associated with a DVR, you can't see it as a separate drive, and if you ever boot the DVR without the drive in, you'll lose all the recordings on the drive and never be able to recover them (after it warns you). And if you plug the drive into another DVR it will format the drive.

The drive and the DVR are "married," and, much like a real marriage, when it ends, most of the stuff is gone.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #174
NYHeel

Quote:

Highslide JS
Those WD AV expanders have a terrible track record. If that's the only one I can use I'd rather download to an external connected to my PC for storage.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #175
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Under the old system that has existed since the Series 3, no. You can only have one external drive associated with a DVR, you can't see it as a separate drive, and if you ever boot the DVR without the drive in, you'll lose all the recordings on the drive and never be able to recover them (after it warns you). And if you plug the drive into another DVR it will format the drive.
Oh, that's not good.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #176
wco81

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Man that sucks. My eSata enclosure has a soft power switch and after a power failure, it often doesn't power up. So my Direct TV DVR will boot to the internal drive instead of the eSata.

But it doesn't lose the recordings or the series recording settings, once I turn it on and reboot the DVR.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #177
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Is that available?
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

and what DRM are you talking about? there is no DRM on OTA and if you are talking about capturing netflix streams via analog to another device, there is $50 software that will do that much easier and digitally.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #178
tedede

Any word if TiVo will add the ability to stream outside the home on the (originial, not built in) stream?
tedede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #179
steinbch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
It's inconclusive & depends on the market needs.

I only have a couple of stats recently of sales on old TiVo's I made:

1) Premiere with 2 TB upgrade & NO Lifetime = Originally bought $200 - sold $80
2) S2 40 GB dual tuner with LIFETIME = Orignally bought $299 - sold $85

So residual value was: 40% & 28%
I think the S1/S2 resale value is a little skewed because of the shift to HD. I don't foresee a shift in technology like that in the next 4-5 years (except the shift away from cable). I was able to get 75% of my original S3 purchase price back when the Premiere came out. I should be able to also get 50% of my Premiere purchase price back when I sell it in the next couple of weeks. Resale without lifetime is a crapshoot.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #180
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
calm down. look at the picture of the back, it has an AV breakout cable support. your anger has just been reduced by an extra $15.
OK OK. Breakout cable is not the end of the world. Just cost. HDMI only was going to be a problem and its not my projector. Its the DRM on HDMI outputs that disable when the connected display is turned off. Does not matter if the break out cable for component is available. Is this cable shown anywhere? I have not even seen a photo of the back panel of the base unit yet. Where did you see that?