TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #91
cncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's been $500 for a couple of years now.
I could have sworn it was $399 when I checked for a new Premiere recently but I guess I was mistaken...
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #92
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
I could have sworn it was $399 when I checked for a new Premiere recently but I guess I was mistaken...
It's $399 for Multi-Service Discount customers. Occasionally TiVo also has a coupon code the give the $100 discount to all customers...
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #93
wco81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I posted this before but I guess no one saw it. In the FAQ section it does say that the 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander from Western Digital can be used.
Is that an external drive?

Does it add capacity or replace the capacity of the internal drive.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #94
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Anyone think the new interface will be ported back to the Premiere boxes? It seems like the fall update would incorporate most of this in the S4 line.
If they just bring the new app platform to the Premier line it would be a huge win. For both current owners and TiVo (increased install base for devs)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #95
series5orpremier

It only lasts 1-2 years before it fails and erases all your recordings. It's like flushing money down the toilet.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #96
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's been $500 for a couple of years now.

It was that price at least as early as when the Elite was first launched since I paid $399 for MSD lifetime back then.

It would be nice if they offered a discount to existing customers like they did when the Premiere launched. MSD Lifetime was $200 with MSD if you already owned an S3 back then and got a launch Premiere.
I also hope they make us some upgrade offers. The Premiere was pretty much available with lifetime for $500 or less via upgrade offers right from the start. Right now the base Roamio with lifetime & MSD is $600, not bad but $500 would be better
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #97
series5orpremier

(The 1TB WD external drive)
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #98
cmeinck

I'm excited about the Roamio and considering a move to sell (2) Premiere XL and (1) Premiere for Roamio Pro w/ minis in various rooms. At launch, performance sounded as if it was spotty on Minis. Is that the same? Any of the reviews use the complete solution of Roamio with Minis?
cmeinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #99
compnurd

These sound great but I am headed back to Direct TV in 2 months... Not because of Tivo but because my cable company has a ****ty channel line up
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #100
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

I'm very disappointed that the 4-tuner model no longer supports antenna alongside cable like previous models did - it's now either/or and only has one RF input. On my S3 i record all my local stations over the roof antenna (PQ is better than cable version and i never miss a recording due to TA malfunctions), and i only use the CableCard tuner for the cable channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Series3 w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P50GT50, URC R40 Remote, , Onkyo 605 AVR
randywalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #101
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If roamio still has to use a Tuning Adapter for SDV, I'll never be interested, because that means it will be as unreliable as my current TiVo HD on TWC, Southwest Ohio. Too bad TiVo has never addressed the SDV tuning failure issue (which they have known about for years). I can't see spending the better part of $1K just to suffer the same issues.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #102
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
So from looking at the Tivo website, and comparing all 3 models, the only difference between the Plus and the Pro is the hard drive size?
Correct, not sure is an extra 2TB is worth $200 to many.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #103
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
Will the Mini get the UI update so it looks the same for Roamio owners?
Not right now, a Mini connected to the Roamio still has the same UI of the Premiere.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #104
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
If roamio still has to use a Tuning Adapter for SDV, I'll never be interested, because that means it will be as unreliable as my current TiVo HD on TWC, Southwest Ohio. Too bad TiVo has never addressed the SDV tuning failure issue (which they have known about for years). I can't see spending the better part of $1K just to suffer the same issues.
Why do you think that would change? Tivo doesn't have any control over how video is delivered over QAM channels, so as long as TWC, Cox etc. uses SDV with TAs you're stuck with that no matter what Tivo you buy.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #105
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
I'm very disappointed that the 4-tuner model no longer supports antenna alongside cable like previous models did - it's now either/or and only has one RF input. On my S3 i record all my local stations over the roof antenna (PQ is better than cable version and i never miss a recording due to TA malfunctions), and i only use the CableCard tuner for the cable channels.
And no component outs. My current OTA premiere is hooked up to 2 TV's this way.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #106
shoeboo

If I understand correctly, the base level Roamio uses a different chip than the plus/pro. Do we know if the performance is the same?
shoeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #107
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Android-Stream support also still coming.
Do we have an update on this? If they set a hard date ("October") I'd be preordering a romio right now to upgrade my S3. With it just as 'coming' then I'm waiting for it to be released before I order one.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #108
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
Not the remote, the TiVo itself. The Xbox One has the ability to control cable boxes using IR blaster (or via a HDMI standard that this new TiVo doesn't support). So if the new TiVo still supports the old IR remotes, we should be ok.
This notion that the Xbox will ever be able to "control" a cable box via HDMI-CEC is hilarious.

I mean, to give you some background, I am a huge MS loyalist and a bit of a fanboi. I have a preorder for an Xbox One and I am stoked about the new Kinect. So this isn't some "I hate MS rant."

This is just, the reality of HDMI-CEC is that the technology is not standardized, is not widely supported and is implemented only to the point of "power other devices on/off and maybe change an input." That's it.

You are NEVER going to be able to control your cable box in any satisfactory way with HDMI-CEC. Get that idea out of your head. It will not happen.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #109
puffdaddy

Does anyone know what version of software the Roamio ships with?
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #110
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
Correct, not sure is an extra 2TB is worth $200 to many.
Preliminarily, the 1TB seems to be the sweetspot.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #111
elwaylite

Hi,

I came on Tivo's site today to look at grabbing a premier for OTA recording only, and found the new boxes were already out (admitting I haven't kept up much).

Im looking at dialing back my pay service, and recording locals OTA, so I need the base model Roamio with 75 hours, and have a couple of questions:

1) Just from catching up in this thread, I can grab the ol reliable 1TB DVR Expander and increase storage from the get go?

2) Does the Roamio still split recordings between drives (internal and external) so if one goes out you lose them all?

3) On my older TiVo I used to supplement cable shows (Sons of Anarchy for example) through Amazon VOD. I'd buy the series pass and Amazon would auto download the HD file for the tv show after midnight to the TiVo. Is that still going to be the case where Amazon HD tv shows are a downloaded file and not streaming? This is important to me because of a slow connection.

Thanks.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #112
cncb

Is there a list somewhere of the audio and video codecs supported by the new models (or for the old models for that matter)?
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #113
shoeboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
Not right now, a Mini connected to the Roamio still has the same UI of the Premiere.
Ben, will the Roamio up convert everything to 1080p, or is it just pass through like in the premiere?
shoeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #114
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
This notion that the Xbox will ever be able to "control" a cable box via HDMI-CEC is hilarious.

I mean, to give you some background, I am a huge MS loyalist and a bit of a fanboi. I have a preorder for an Xbox One and I am stoked about the new Kinect. So this isn't some "I hate MS rant."

This is just, the reality of HDMI-CEC is that the technology is not standardized, is not widely supported and is implemented only to the point of "power other devices on/off and maybe change an input." That's it.

You are NEVER going to be able to control your cable box in any satisfactory way with HDMI-CEC. Get that idea out of your head. It will not happen.
I agree. CEC is pretty basic, but extensible. The extensions are not part of the standard, so just because MS supports them, doesn't mean others will.

If you want to get an idea of what is possible with CEC, check out this page.
http://www.cec-o-matic.com/

That being said, power on and volume would be a huge step forward. Always make sure the TV is on when the TiVo is on and show closed caption data when the TV is muted, are two simple examples of valuable abilities we don't currently have. Add in the RF remote and the smartphone/tablet apps and the possibilities are really cool.

And the Xbox's OneGuide is basically a replacement for the TiVo's guide. If you like TiVo, do you really think MS can do a better job? Not to mention, MS can easily support TiVo's IP control.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #115
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Why do you think that would change? Tivo doesn't have any control over how video is delivered over QAM channels, so as long as TWC, Cox etc. uses SDV with TAs you're stuck with that no matter what Tivo you buy.
I didn't expect it (SDV tuning failures) would change, but hope springs eternal. I and others here do think TiVo has some control over how their software handles the SDV tuning failures, e.g., by adjusting timeouts and/or adding tuning retries. The details have been discussed in several other threads over the past few years. I don't want to clutter up this thread with them. The jist of it is that one or two manual re-tunes (chan up/down) will tune a channel successfully after an SDV tuning failure (but that doesn't help for recording failures).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #116
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah it sounds like they are planning on releasing another software update in the fall to bring together some of the promised features. I wonder how many of these things will make their way down to the Premiere?
I recall hearing the same thing from Nintendo about a year ago.....still waiting. Another half baked device that is released before it is finished. That being said, I'll still probably buy one.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #117
Grakthis

my TiVo is always on. I do not want it to turn my TV on when my TiVo is on.

It would be minorly nice if when I pushed the TiVo button it automatically changed inputs to the TiVo. But how many TVs support that? My Chromecast is on a TV made in 2010 and it doesn't support input changing over HDMI-CEC.

The only CEC control I could see being useful between the TiVo and Xbox One would be the Xbox One checking the channel and changing the channel of the TiVo, and that would require a TiVo and MS partnership, and I don't think MS seems interested in that.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #118
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
Ben, will the Roamio up convert everything to 1080p, or is it just pass through like in the premiere?
If you set the video output to 1080p and 1080p24, it'll convert everything to 1080p. I'd suggest you test this first, though, to make sure the TiVo does a better job of the conversion than your TV. Use a test pattern like pizza slices from the AVS forum.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #119
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffdaddy View Post
Does anyone know what version of software the Roamio ships with?
The review sample is running 20.3.6.G2-USA-6-840
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #120
Grakthis

The lack of stream support in the 199 box bums me out. I just saw that. I get it... I understand... but I was kinda excited about that possibility.

It's not a deal breaker for me (I'll just buy the $400 box) but it certainly takes it from "i'll buy one right now if they give me a release date on android" to "I'll probably look in to this around x-mas time or maybe in the spring and see how far the software has come."