TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #61
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

No mention anywhere....

But I assume tuning adapters are still needed?
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #62
GriffithStrife

I just ordered I hope my old Premiere Elite sells on amazon before the Roamio arrives.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #63
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
No mention anywhere....

But I assume tuning adapters are still needed?
Tuner adapters are strictly a cable company abomination. Yes
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #64
BigJimOutlaw

Well I have to say this is turning out to be the anti-Premiere, and that's a good thing.

Off the bat with the Premiere launch people considered it a bit of a dud. There was a distinct lack of an answer to the question, "What does it do that's new or any better?" The reviews showed an interface that was slow and incomplete and remained such for the product's whole life. And apps just plain fell flat.

Roamio is shaping up to be a completely different beast. Fast, a viable (and fast!) HTML5 app platform, DIAL support, an app store, streaming out of the home... It's not finished out of the gate, but this is super promising.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-20-2013 at 02:07 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #65
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah it sounds like they are planning on releasing another software update in the fall to bring together some of the promised features. I wonder how many of these things will make their way down to the Premiere?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #66
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Will it have external drive support?

That would make getting the Plus now and adding an external drive, which would go for a lot less than the $200 difference between the Plus and the Pro.
All three have e.SATA ports, no word on if you need a branded TiVO drive, but that is likely.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #67
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
All three have e.SATA ports, no word on if you need a branded TiVO drive, but that is likely.
I posted this before but I guess no one saw it. In the FAQ section it does say that the 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander from Western Digital can be used.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #68
MeInDallas

And to add to that I wish they would allow others since Seagate has a 2TB DVR expander. I'm sure there are probably others. Western Digital only makes a 1TB DVR one.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #69
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah it sounds like they are planning on releasing another software update in the fall to bring together some of the promised features. I wonder how many of these things will make their way down to the Premiere?
I'm a little caught off guard actually. I expected the Roamio release to roughly coincide with the next software update, maybe launch a couple weeks afterwards so that the software (DTA, etc) was all in place. Basically about a month-ish from now... They must be feeling pretty confident.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #70
amseven11

Soon as mine arrives I will attempt to upgrade the hard drive to 2TB (got the entry level one). Hopefully the same process as the Premiere will work
amseven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #71
sbiller

Anyone think the new interface will be ported back to the Premiere boxes? It seems like the fall update would incorporate most of this in the S4 line.
sbiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #72
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
External power supply on the OTA model.
Makes fixing power supplies easy.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #73
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Anyone think the new interface will be ported back to the Premiere boxes? It seems like the fall update would incorporate most of this in the S4 line.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...ners-but-when/

Quote:
Software improvements to expect...maybe sometime
Roamio's hardware additions, like built-in Wi-Fi, more tuners and more storage, are obviously not coming to the Premiere. On the other hand, many of the other new extras are software-based, and could potentially migrate down to Premiere owners.

Beyond updates for the Mini, TiVo could offer no more specific information other than the simple statement that yes, the company is working on and will continue to support Premiere.

We asked whether the Premiere would get a performance enhancement to address its somewhat sluggish response times; access to the forthcoming App Store and 3-column filter for My Shows; a new Netflix and/or Amazon Instant app; the refreshed look and feel of the Roamio interface; and even whether owners of Premiere could use the TiVo Stream out of the house in the same way Roamio promises.

In every case we were told these improvements and more were under consideration for Premiere owners, but that "nothing is definite" at this time.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #74
sbiller

More reviews with more technical details.

Interesting that TiVo decided to stick with the TiVo Streams quad-transcoding Zenverge versus the built-in dual-transcoding Broadcom BCM7425 in the Pace XG1. It probably makes the software migration and marketing/messaging a lot simpler going forward but I expect added to the build cost of the Roamio Plus/Pro.

Variety: TiVo Punches Live Cable TV, DVR Content Outside the Home with ‘Roamio’

Quote:
Trying to reinvigorate declining retail sales, TiVo is adding Slingbox-like features to the latest refresh of its DVR line to stream live TV and recordings to mobile devices — both in and out of the home — and has boosted capacity of top-end models to let TV buffs watch or record up to six shows at once.
Time: TiVo, say it loud: You’re a DVR, and you’re proud!

Quote:
Even without the upcoming features, and with imposing competition from cheap Internet-only boxes, the Roamio models are a polished and powerful way to watch TV, on the Net and off. TiVo, say it loud: You’re a DVR, and you’re proud.
Multichannel: TiVo’s New ‘Roamio’ Lineup Targets TV Power Users & Cord-Cutters

Quote:
Thanks to an integrated transcoding chip from Zenverge, the Plus and Pro Roamio models will inherently support in-home streaming, sideloading (the ability to transfer shows and movies marked as “copy freely” from the DVR to a mobile device), and, starting this fall, out-of-home video streaming of live TV and content stored to the DVR.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #75
MeInDallas

That would be really nice if they would migrate at least something that would help the Premiere's performance at least. All the other stuff, like the apps, I really dont care much for, but anything to improve performance would be really great.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #76
overFEDEXed

Aug 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Attachment 19376

The Best Buy website now shows the Roamio but it says out of stock, so maybe the truck arrives soon.
The base Roamio shows a delivery date of 8/21 from Bestbuy. ($14, Express shipping) Their warehouse is about one hour from me.

I'm waiting on a Plus at least so...wait it will be.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 08-20-2013 at 05:40 AM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #77
MeInDallas

So from looking at the Tivo website, and comparing all 3 models, the only difference between the Plus and the Pro is the hard drive size?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #78
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Will the Mini get the UI update so it looks the same for Roamio owners?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #79
ColHapablap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
They did say that an old IR remote will still work on the new box.
Do you have a source for this? If this thing didn't take IR-in, and couldn't work with my universal remote, it'd probably be a deal-killer for me.
ColHapablap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #80
monkeydust

I ordered a Plus. But, two things I still want: Amazon Prime and better streaming from PC to TiVo (been using Stream Baby Stream but I'd like something less clunky and supported by TiVo).
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #81
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColHapablap View Post
Do you have a source for this? If this thing didn't take IR-in, and couldn't work with my universal remote, it'd probably be a deal-killer for me.
It still has IR in. The new TiVo remote uses RF but the TiVo itself can still accept IR signals from a universal remote or an older TiVo remote.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #82
ilovedvrs

Processing Order August 20, 2013 1 TiVo Package, Product Lifetime TiVo Roamio $599.98 $599.98 Tax $14.00
Order total $613.98

1) when will amazon sell this? I have prime shipping and no tax.
2) will it work with my bluetooth tivo remote I am using for my Tivo Series 3 HD?
3) why can't we transfer lifetime? I went from the original tivo (1999) to a S2 to the S3 with transfers. why no love?
4) how much is a Tivo Series 3 HD worth on ebay with lifetime?
ilovedvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #83
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
Will the Mini get the UI update so it looks the same for Roamio owners?
I bet it does. Although I'm not sure if it'll happen right away or not. It's still unclear how many of the features talked about in these reviews are in the box right now and which are coming via some future software update.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #84
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post
Processing Order August 20, 2013 1 TiVo Package, Product Lifetime TiVo Roamio $599.98 $599.98 Tax $14.00
Order total $613.98

1) when will amazon sell this? I have prime shipping and no tax.
2) will it work with my bluetooth tivo remote I am using for my Tivo Series 3 HD?
3) why can't we transfer lifetime? I went from the original tivo (1999) to a S2 to the S3 with transfers. why no love?
4) how much is a Tivo Series 3 HD worth on ebay with lifetime?
Usually a few weeks, maybe longer

It should

They've only ever done a free transfer in that one case. The only other time they offered transfers it cost.

Probably about $200-$250
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #85
ilovedvrs

thanks Dan203, some more questions (tivo sales support is not open yet)

1) Built-in MoCA bridge - requires network adapter
Is this a TIVO product? if no can you link me to one a compatible one on amazon.

2) Tivo Stream (aka slingbox) $129
a) android app? free or $15?
b) built in features are exactly the same as the TiVo Stream external?
c) will it stream 1080p to my windows desktop? ( or just iOS devices which I hate and don't have?)

3) vs my Series 3 tivo, what does not having THX cert lose me? will I notice worse sound quality?

4) VUDU / Flixster for UV movies? I have almost 200 UV movies - any support or do I have to keep my Ruku?

5) why no usb 3? is usb 2.0 or eSATA better for external drives?

6) wow 3.7lbs vs 6.9lbs!! why is the Roamio half the weight?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #86
jcthorne

Has anyone published a review of the base 4 tuner unit?

Does anyone know if the Roamio units will accept IR signals from older peanut remotes (and sling box)?

Any word on an upgraded remote with back light and programming? The non-programmable remote is a non-starter for anyone with a home theater.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #87
ilovedvrs

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/19/tivo-roamio/

"But overall I think you get the point: More tuners, more storage, more expensive, more better."
Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #88
Dagwood70

Disappointed that the base model Roamio (OTA model) doesn't have built in Steam functionality. I was holding off buying a stream in hopes it would. I guess I'm buying a Stream and using my Premiere until it dies. For my purposes the updates aren't worth it yet. Oh well.
Dagwood70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #89
cncb

Is there any word whether these can play additional file formats from a PC like MKV? Also, very disappointed that the lifetime fee has gone up from $400 to $500 for new customers?
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #90
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Is there any word whether these can play additional file formats from a PC like MKV? Also, very disappointed that the lifetime fee has gone up from $400 to $500 for new customers?
It's been $500 for a couple of years now.

It was that price at least as early as when the Elite was first launched since I paid $399 for MSD lifetime back then.

It would be nice if they offered a discount to existing customers like they did when the Premiere launched. MSD Lifetime was $200 with MSD if you already owned an S3 back then and got a launch Premiere.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote