TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #811
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitjumper View Post
To not hear my Tivo Premiere all night in the bedroom, I have a power plug timer cut power to it 12-midnight to 7-am every night. Been doing it over a year. I did call Tivo to ask them if it was okay, and they said it would be fine. Just a data point. In the future I plan on getting a Roamio for the living room and mini for the bedroom.
I hear ya. I solved the ambient noise issue by putting my TiVo in the living room. HDMI out to living room TV. Looooong component cable underneath the floorboards, to the bedroom TV. Thankfully TiVo's Bluetooth slide remote works well all the way in the bedroom, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #812
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitjumper View Post
To not hear my Tivo Premiere all night in the bedroom, I have a power plug timer cut power to it 12-midnight to 7-am every night. Been doing it over a year. I did call Tivo to ask them if it was okay, and they said it would be fine. Just a data point. In the future I plan on getting a Roamio for the living room and mini for the bedroom.

As someone who has developed embedded OSs, filesystems, HD drivers, etc., I suspect it is feasible that Tivo may have designed their OS, filesystem, apps, and file writes to not have a problem with power cycles at any time.
I have a timer on my TiVo and turn the power off at 4:30 am each morning back on at 5PM, been doing this for years and never had a problem.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #813
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
Do recordings that were in progress at the time of reboot resume immediately when the OS is ready in less than 3 minutes? With my Premiere XL4, the THX splash screen appears after about four and a half minutes but the interrupted recordings take an extra minute to resume so I lose almost six minutes of content.
Did not try that but when I get time I will, the time is about 2:50 to get to the TiVo start song and video.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #814
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

It depends on what his local cable charges compared to his DirecTV bill. I saved $100 a month on my bill by dropping DirecTV and switching. My DirecTV bill was more than my TV and internet bundle. Sure I had to pay for TiVo upfront, but that was covered by the $100 a month in savings.
Ditto! Mine would be in the $60+ range when I switch to TWC.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #815
Rose4uKY

My Roamio is supposed to be here today since I got a bad one DOA Last week. I hope it comes before we go to work this afternoon so we can hook it up and call out Cable Company or even Tivo if we need help while there still open. I just moved and twice UPS would have already been here but today not yet. :-( I'm anxious to see this new Roamio..

If the one I got last week that wouldn't boot up is all packed up and ready to return with shipping labels and all will the UPS driver take it back is he allowed? I have to go to UPS anyway and send back our premiere which we have to pay for shipping since were just exchanging it out for the Roamio there's nothing wrong with it but the Roamio we got sent wasn't working so now were waiting on a new Roamio. And Tivo told me that I need to just return the bad Roamio and keep everything else like the remote books and cables cause Tivo may just send me a new box only. But of course on the Premiere which we just got 3 weeks ago new we know we have to send everything back that came with it.. Just wish UPS would get here already!

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #816
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You are correct but as the Roamio plus and pro have built in wifi it is unlikely that the router distance limitation you describe will be a problem. Either way as long as your Roamio has a connection to the home network you won't need a MoCA adapter.
So you're saying my Premiere 4 not near the router could still act as a MoCA bridge as long as it has a wireless dongle connected to the home network? I wasn't hung up so much on a MoCA bridge being hardwired via Ethernet to the router as I was on it being hardwired coaxially to the cable modem. But I suppose the cable-in on the TiVo takes care of that.

I guess my standalone MoCA bridge hardwired to the cable modem/router at the very least takes out of the equation the wifi bottleneck, once remote (outside the home network) streaming is a reality.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #817
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
I don't think that's right.

The reason to use MOCA for intra home streaming is because wifi is too slow. So I don't think they support MOCA bridging over wifi because it would defeat the purpose.

You need either a MOCA bridge, or a Roamio plus or pro, connected to the router via Ethernet.
As long as all your TiVos are on MoCA and the Roamio is just bridging the internet connection over wifi you'd probably be fine. (Assuming it suuports bridging over wifi at all; does it?)

All your high bandwidth in home streaming would stay on MoCA and never hit the lower bandwidth wifi. Still, if you can run an ethernet cable to the Roamio that'd probably be best.
If the streaming stays within MoCA, that's acceptable. But as mentioned, this could become an issue once remote streaming outside the home network is implemented in the future.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #818
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishTash View Post
So you're saying my Premiere 4 not near the router could still act as a MoCA bridge as long as it has a wireless dongle connected to the home network? I wasn't hung up so much on a MoCA bridge being hardwired via Ethernet to the router as I was on it being hardwired coaxially to the cable modem. But I suppose the cable-in on the TiVo takes care of that.

I guess my standalone MoCA bridge hardwired to the cable modem/router at the very least takes out of the equation the wifi bottleneck, once remote (outside the home network) streaming is a reality.
Yes, the hard-wired connection is preferable to wi-fi from a bandwidth perspective.

Remember, that even if you used the wi-fi connection as your "bridge" connection from the integrated MoCA in the Roamio pro/plus, it is still sending all the bandwidth intensive stuff (local streaming of live TV and recordings) over coax.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #819
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalpreda View Post
For those interested/confused about MoCA......From my router at home I take one of those the gig ports into a TiVo Premiere XL4. That is connected via coax to the rest of the house. My Mini picks up the MoCA and does its thing. I have another Premiere XL4 connected via coax and I take the Ethernet out of that to the gigabit switch port on an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac that I use for wireless and Ethernet runs to my Slingbox and another Ethernet run to my 4k BluRay player

I used to have MoCA bridges everywhere. Now I just have TiVos! It's so much cleaner. Less wires = happy wife = happy life.
If I read you right, are you saying can use a TiVo (w/MoCA) as a remote Ethernet bridge to a wireless router?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #820
Beryl

The Plus arrived today (my birthday) and the Basic & Stream went back on the same UPS truck.

The difference in build quality is significant. (The feet won't fall off of the Plus ) Setting it up was easy, the picture is crisp, and the responsiveness is as fast as the Basic. The built-in streaming worked well. Unlike the Basic, It took a while to show up on my list of devices for the iOS app and SP management since it didn't arrive activated like the one purchased directly from TiVo.

Xfinity OnDemand didn't show up and the connect/restart trick did not fix it. A second call to Xfinity did. The rep said there is an additional code they needed to apply for the Roamios and Premieres.

The remote looks the same -- cheap hard plastic (not that I plan to use it).

In all, I'm glad I went with the Plus over the Basic. I do wish it had OTA capabilities but my Premiere will handle that. (I'm guessing TiVo won't make that "mistake" in future models.)
Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #821
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
In all, I'm glad I went with the Plus over the Basic. I do wish it had OTA capabilities but my Premiere will handle that. (I'm guessing TiVo won't make that "mistake" in future models.)
Really? You think future models will have OTA? I don't. Seems to me like TiVo's made the decision to phase it out, just like component-out in favor of all HDMI. The Roamio Basic seems like a crossover product, with some legacy port just because... and my hunch is that it'll be the last TiVo to support OTA. I'd love to be wrong, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #822
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post

Really? You think future models will have OTA?
I'm hoping.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #823
atmuscarella

Quote:
Really? You think future models will have OTA? I don't. Seems to me like TiVo's made the decision to phase it out, just like component-out in favor of all HDMI. The Roamio Basic seems like a crossover product, with some legacy port just because... and my hunch is that it'll be the last TiVo to support OTA. I'd love to be wrong, though.
Tivo just delivers the most advanced OTA DVR every made, the only 4 tuner OTA device available anywhere, and your conclusion is they are phasing out OTA support I would say your conclusion is a little premature.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #824
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Seems odd then that the "higher end" Plus and Pro models don't have OTA at all, doesn't it?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #825
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Tivo just delivers the most advanced OTA DVR every made, the only 4 tuner OTA device available anywhere, and your conclusion is they are phasing out OTA support I would say your conclusion is a little premature.
Mine arrived yesterday. I forgive TiVo for the Premiere XL, all of my prior complaints are resolved.

I dropped in a 3TB AV drive from WD. Everything proceeded as expected. The ATSC tuner is good, it seems to sync up after a channel change a bit faster, it receives a few channels beyond LA from here in the San Fernando valley, which startled me.

So far I'm very impressed. The speed of the UI is satisfactory, undeniably much faster.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #826
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Seems odd then that the "higher end" Plus and Pro models don't have OTA at all, doesn't it?
It's not odd when you consider that a 6 tuner OTA hardware chip doesn't exist.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #827
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Do we even know if the Base model uses a 4 tuner chip? I imagine they would have to if they stuck to the two chip design. If so TiVo probably had to have it made since this is the first 4 tuner OTA device that I know of.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #828
atmuscarella

Quote:
No not all, as Morac said a 6 tuner OTA chip doesn't exist (yet?). Remember TiVo doesn't actually develop the parts inside their DVRs, they buy "off the self" chips, tuners, hard drives etc. and develop their DVRs from parts any company could buy. Plus even though I am OTA and not very price concerned, I do believe many people looking for an OTA DVR are concerned about the price more so than maybe someone looking for a high end whole home cable DVR system, which is what the plus and pro models are targeted at. So for TiVo to have their OTA DVR also be their entry level DVR makes perfect sense to me.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #829
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Then it's odd that one doesn't, I guess.

We'll see next year, when the successor to the Roamio Plus (and Pro) come out. Will TiVo bring "back" OTA as a consistent feature in all their devices? We'll see.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #830
wco81

Successor in one year?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #831
Joe Siegler

Quote:
That's my feeling too. I can't see them reversing that decision and adding OTA to more product lines. I don't think it will be phased out 100%, but I can quite easily see it pigenholed into the lowest hardware footprint like it is now quite easily on future models.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #832
aaronwt
HD Addict

They'll have one with a 4TB drive and a 2TB drive

I see WD finally just came out with a 4TB Red drive. So a 4TB AV drive is probably not far behind.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #833
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Successor in one year?
They come out with new hardware, historically about every 12-18 months... in the case of Roamio the most likely improvements would be larger capacity, better remote control (backlit with keypad, etc).

I certainly don't see an all new platform coming out from them anytime soon.

Premiere in its various incarnations had a 3+ year run. I would expect similar to Roamio with only minor refreshes over the next 12-18 months.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #834
Dan203
Super Moderator

Pretty mcuh every TiVo has had a 3-4 year life cycle...

S1 - released March 1999
S2 - released january 2002
S3 - released September 2006
S4 - released March 2010
S5 - released August 2013

Every one except the S1 had some sort of mid-run hardware refresh. The S2 actually had several the first simply swapped the USB 1.0 ports for USB 2.0, the second was a complete change using cheaper hardware, and the 3rd was the S2DT. The S3 got the TiVo HD which was a cheaper design and added M-Card support. And the Premiere got the 4 tuner box.

I'm betting that in March 2015 we'll see some sort of hardware refresh, but it'll be minor.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #835
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Then it's odd that one doesn't, I guess.

We'll see next year, when the successor to the Roamio Plus (and Pro) come out. Will TiVo bring "back" OTA as a consistent feature in all their devices? We'll see.
next year? I've had my Premieres for 3 years already. Series 4. This is Series 5. I don't think we'll see a Series 6 for another 3 years.

I don't count 4 and XL4 is a "successor" - they just added a couple tuners.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #836
Dan203
Super Moderator

We sort of discussed this in another thread, but I'm not sure where TiVo could go from here. Every previous generation TiVo had some deficit that we hoped would be fixed, or some feature we hoped would be added, in the next generation. But with the Roamio I can't think of any feature I'd want/need that couldn't be added via software.

The Roamio Pro has 6 tuners (max for CableCARD), 3TB hard drive (500 hours of HD), a built in transcoder and all major networking technologies. (Gigabit Ethernet, MoCa and dual band wifi) As far as hardware goes I can't think of anything that's missing so I'm wondering what a Series 6 could possible offer that we'd want. Seems like everything I can think of that I'd want is all software.

I guess maybe they could do a 6 tuner with OTA support. Or maybe a unit that uses something other then CableCARD if that Charter alternative comes to fruition. But even so those would likely be minor variations of the current hardware.

What do you think? Do you have some hardware feature in mind that you'd want included in a Series 6?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #837
b_scott
TiVo Fan

series 6 might come out when cable ala carte starts. Not sure if that would need new tech. Probably not considering it could just be done via cablecard.

streaming 4K? IPTV?
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #838
Joe3

Does the 4 tuner OTA combine with cable in one guide for recording both?
I don't see the input for both OTA & Cable like it had been on earlier models.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #839
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What do you think? Do you have some hardware feature in mind that you'd want included in a Series 6?
If they really want to be the "complete" box then they need to support more popular html5 video formats such as ogg and webm since right now it's still just mp4/h264/aac via the built in Opera browser. I'm guessing that would require a hardware update?
They also need to fix not being able to use Stream with H.264 channels which may require H264 decoding hardware as part of the Stream?

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #840
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
series 6 might come out when cable ala carte starts. Not sure if that would need new tech. Probably not considering it could just be done via cablecard.

streaming 4K? IPTV?
4K is still a ways off. And there is no real standard for IPTV. There is some talk of cable companies switching to a form of DLNA, but that's probably a ways off too.