TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #781
rgranber

Roamio plus boot time is 3:30.
rgranber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #782
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I can't speak to other providers but as a switching DirecTV customer I know that either of the two-tuner HR23/24 units can be brought to your house with a default order. The five-tuner HR44 is extra and is a more complex order. I'm not sure about the state of the four-tuner HR34.
They are giving the Genie system away free to new customers now as default. Also, the HR34 and 44 both have 5 tuners and are essentially the same, except the 44 is the newer version with wifi, external power brick and a faster processor (similar to the p4 units compared to the new Roamio)
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #783
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
EDIT: I didn't see Dan's post when submitting this (looks like they were within seconds apart).
Winner!!!!!

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #784
wco81

But the UI is faster?

Like changing menus, saving a SP, searching?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #785
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Houston View Post
Is this really true? I've had DirecTivo R10 (SD) units for many years. One of them failed recently, and DirecTV replaced it with their current SD DVR product. I hate the user interface so much I want to throw the remote across the room every time I use it.

That's why I'm in here reading about Roamio, even though I would have to change to Comcast as the content provider.
Why did not get a Direct TiVo HD unit?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:49 AM   #786
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon26 View Post
I don't get TIVO. I have a series 4 TIVO. Nearly 50% of the menus are still SD. Series 4 came out like 2 years ago. If you look at Directv, Dish, Comcast etc etc their DVR's are 100% HD 4-6 tuners and their GUI is just as good as TIVO. And its cheaper per month. To me TIVO is something that is stuck in the past. And the only reason they are still around is because they sue everyone that has a DVR. I am probably going to ditch my TIVO for the new comcast X1 DVR. I've used it and to me it light years better than TIVO. My TIVO locks up on a pretty regular basis. I have to unplug it then plug it back in at least 1 or twice a week. I've also had 2 TIVO's go in in pretty much exactly 1 year and a few days after the warranty expired. Perfec timing.
Quote:
TROLL? Really I've been on here and posting for years. I'm more a ticked off TIVO customer. I don't understand why it takes years to get a full 100% HD GUI when every other provider has had it for years. I've been threw 3 series 4 TIVO's in less then 2 years. The problem I have now on my main TIVO is, when I hit the TIVO button, and your current show you are watching goes into the top right hand corner, that's all I get. The rest of the screen is all blacked out and you can't get out of that. I have to unplug my TIVO and plug it back in again. That happens at least twice a week. For something that has been out for sooo long you would think that it would be smooth and less bug prone then this. I have 3 series 4 TIVO's BTW...
Maybe that is part of your problem.

If the TiVo locks up, you should never just pull the plug. Always press the Format button, on the front of Premieres, (or Resolution button on the back of the Roamio) and hold it for 20-30 seconds until the TiVo reboots. That way the TiVo will shut-down properly, with less possibility of HDD corruption.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:49 AM   #787
richbrew
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Well, if you stopped throwing them, maybe they'd last?
My thoughts exactly!
richbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #788
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

Maybe that is part of your problem.

If the TiVo locks up, you should never just pull the plug. Always press the Format button, on the front of Premieres, (or Resolution button on the back of the Roamio) and hold it for 20-30 seconds until the TiVo reboots. That way the TiVo will shut-down properly, with less possibility of HDD corruption.
There is no way to have a TiVo "shut-down properly", which is why there is no shutdown entry on the restart screen. TiVo's file system was designed to handle being unplugged at any time. It can even handle being unplugged during a software update, though that's not recommended. Holding down format just forces a core dump and restart. It's for debugging purposes, nothing me.

There is nothing wrong with unplugging a TiVo box if it locks up. TiVo's own support instructions even say to so.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../370/kw/Unplug

Some people use the format button simply button simply because it's easier to reach than the power cord.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #789
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Some people use the format button simply button simply because it's easier to reach than the power cord.
Heck, I've got my Premiere on a z-wave appliance switch and have a cron job that power cycles it every morning in the early AM - seems to work a little more reliably the rest of the day (while I hope that the mythical fall update will fix the incessant no signal/not authorized problems 20.3 created :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #790
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post

Heck, I've got my Premiere on a z-wave appliance switch and have a cron job that power cycles it every morning in the early AM - seems to work a little more reliably the rest of the day (while I hope that the mythical fall update will fix the incessant no signal/not authorized problems 20.3 created :-).
As far as HDD corruption possibility goes, that's no different than pulling the plug daily. Without proper shutdown procedure, that can't be good for the drive/OS...

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #791
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
I don't get TIVO. I have a series 4 TIVO. Nearly 50% of the menus are still SD.
90% of the ones I regularly use are in HD, and they'll fix the other 10% when they upgrade WL's and manual recordings in the fall. Settings staying in SD is a complete non-issue for me.

Having said that, it's always been a head-scratcher why they couldn't finish the job, and it makes them look amateurish and that they don't care about how their product is perceived.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #792
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgranber View Post
Roamio plus boot time is 3:30.
I have re-booted many times my Plus with a 2Tb drive and it boots (after full setup) in less that 3 minutes, OH! and the operation system is not in flash, the flash just formats a new drive and set up the hard drive (mini OS) to use the network system than downloads the full OS.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #793
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Having said that, it's always been a head-scratcher why they couldn't finish the job, and it makes them look amateurish and that they don't care about how their product is perceived.
Perhaps marketing had a set date they had planned for when the software would be ready, while engineering was bound by objective reality and could only ship the code that was done.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #794
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post

Perhaps marketing had a set date they had planned for when the software would be ready, while engineering was bound by objective reality and could only ship the code that was done.
Huh? The Premiere's HDUI has been incomplete FOR YEARS now. Given how so many reviews have ridiculed TiVo over this, it is a head-scratcher indeed.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #795
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post

As far as HDD corruption possibility goes, that's no different than pulling the plug daily. Without proper shutdown procedure, that can't be good for the drive/OS...
Again, TiVo boxes have no proper shutdown procedure. The shutdown procedure is to simply pull the plug.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #796
jmpage2

Quote:
Again, TiVo boxes have no proper shutdown procedure. The shutdown procedure is to simply pull the plug.
I initiate a reboot and only then pull the plug.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #797
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Resume recording after reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
it boots in less than 3 minutes
Do recordings that were in progress at the time of reboot resume immediately when the OS is ready in less than 3 minutes? With my Premiere XL4, the THX splash screen appears after about four and a half minutes but the interrupted recordings take an extra minute to resume so I lose almost six minutes of content.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #798
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Fair enough. But EVERY DAY?!?

Old 08-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #799
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Huh? The Premiere's HDUI has been incomplete FOR YEARS now. Given how so many reviews have ridiculed TiVo over this, it is a head-scratcher indeed.
...and seems like it'd be such a trivial update, with no impact to functionality. I realize they've probably got bigger fish to fry, but this should have been knocked off long ago, using an intern or junior resource.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #800
wco81

Do the shipments from Tivo require signature?

They're shipping to me by UPS but the tracking page doesn't indicate if it does.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #801
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
...and seems like it'd be such a trivial update, with no impact to functionality. I realize they've probably got bigger fish to fry, but this should have been knocked off long ago, using an intern or junior resource.
I couldn't agree more. The switch from the nice HD screens with PIP to the crummy SD screens is quite jarring and leaves the TiVo looking unfinished. People say you don't usually see the HD screens but since settings, messages, etc are still in SD i see them all the time. Finish the HD interface TiVo, especially now that you've got a box with the muscle to pull it off.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #802
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
No..
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #803
morac
Cat God

Quote:

Fair enough. But EVERY DAY?!?
Well there's no reason to pull the plug everyday any way, but it's probably no worse than rebooting every day.

Rebooting isn't really any "safer" since the box could be in the process of indexing or garbage collecting or whatever when you reboot. The OS/software (and actually most modern OS) is designed to recover from that though since the original data isn't removed until after the new data is written successfully. Recordings may lose a few seconds of data before the reboot, but "who cares" at that point.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #804
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
That was the case with the original Premiere launch. They pre-set the launch date way in advance so it was slightly understandable when the UI was released unfinished. But now it's 3.5 years later and it's still not done. And it seems like they release an update with a few new HD screens every six months. Given how may options screens there are, at the current rate it could be years before we see it finished.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #805
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

They're shipping to me by UPS but the tracking page doesn't indicate if it does.
Usually No, depends on where you live. When you order something to be ship by UPS you can have instruction added like "Leave at side door" where no one would likely see the package. Where I live a package usually arrive between 3pm to 8pm.

HDTiVo
Old 08-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #806
Dave in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Why did not get a Direct TiVo HD unit?
DirecTV's current Tivo offering seems like a dead end on the evolutionary ladder. It's not quite a Tivo, and not quite a DirecTV product. If I'm going to make a change, I'd like to get a bit closer to the current state of the art.
Dave in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #807
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Houston View Post
DirecTV's current Tivo offering seems like a dead end on the evolutionary ladder. It's not quite a Tivo, and not quite a DirecTV product. If I'm going to make a change, I'd like to get a bit closer to the current state of the art.
I understand the "state of the art" part. Not sure how much TV you watch, you will spend more money switching from DirecTV to cable > Buying a Roamia + Lifetime.

HDTiVo
Old 08-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #808
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
I understand the "state of the art" part. Not sure how much TV you watch, you will spend more money switching from DirecTV to cable > Buying a Roamia + Lifetime.
It depends on what his local cable charges compared to his DirecTV bill. I saved $100 a month on my bill by dropping DirecTV and switching. My DirecTV bill was more than my TV and internet bundle. Sure I had to pay for TiVo upfront, but that was covered by the $100 a month in savings.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #809
Dave in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
It depends on what his local cable charges compared to his DirecTV bill. I saved $100 a month on my bill by dropping DirecTV and switching. My DirecTV bill was more than my TV and internet bundle. Sure I had to pay for TiVo upfront, but that was covered by the $100 a month in savings.
I need to look into how much the monthly Comcast bill would be, but the main thing I want is to make my life better. I just hate this blasted DirecTV DVR.

We watch a program or two most nights, and this DVR is making me miserable.
Dave in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #810
bitjumper

Quote:
To not hear my Tivo Premiere all night in the bedroom, I have a power plug timer cut power to it 12-midnight to 7-am every night. Been doing it over a year. I did call Tivo to ask them if it was okay, and they said it would be fine. Just a data point. In the future I plan on getting a Roamio for the living room and mini for the bedroom.

As someone who has developed embedded OSs, filesystems, HD drivers, etc., I suspect it is feasible that Tivo may have designed their OS, filesystem, apps, and file writes to not have a problem with power cycles at any time.
bitjumper is offline   Reply With Quote