TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #751
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
No problem, I just used my credit card to xfer Lifetime onto my Roamio, but I did have to take a loss of $400.

b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #752
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Cool. Thanks. Assuming it works, what discount does it get you?
$100 off lifetime.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #753
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
What is "PLSR?" The code itself? Or is than an abbreviation for something?
It's the code you put in at checkout, but it probably stood for "Product Lifetime Service Rebate" or something like that. It takes Lifetime from $499.99 to $399.99.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #754
JWhites

Quote:
No problem, I just used my credit card to xfer Lifetime onto my Roamio, but I did have to take a loss of $400.
Hey if you feel like taking another loss, I wouldn't mind getting a free Roamio Plus I'll handle its subscription
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #755
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Hey if you feel like taking another loss, I wouldn't mind getting a free Roamio Plus I'll handle its subscription
My remark was in answer to someone who wanted to know how to xfer lifetime to a Roamio (the poster most likely wanted to do it for free and I guess you do also)

Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #756
brianric

Quote:

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #757
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Only the Roamio Plus/Pro can do this. And it can do it because it has a MoCa bridge built in. The Mini is only a MoCa client, but the Roamio Plus/Pro (and Premiere 4 tuner unit) can all act as a MoCa bridge.
Right, but you still need that MoCa bridge to be hardwired to the router, be it a standalone or in a TiVo Roamio +/Pro or TiVo Premier 4, no? For example, I have a Premier 4, for a variety of reasons it can't be next to the router. Therefore I need a MoCa bridge wired to the router to form a working MoCa network. I read the original msg as implying that with a Roamio +/Pro NOT connected to the router, one needn't have a MoCa bridge (standalone or inside a TiVo) connected to the router; I contend you need SOME kind of MoCa bridge directly connected to the router, even with the Roamio +/Plus somewhere in the mix. Am I misled?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #758
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishTash View Post
Right, but you still need that MoCa bridge to be hardwired to the router, be it a standalone or in a TiVo Roamio +/Pro or TiVo Premier 4, no? For example, I have a Premier 4, for a variety of reasons it can't be next to the router. Therefore I need a MoCa bridge wired to the router to form a working MoCa network. I read the original msg as implying that with a Roamio +/Pro, one needn't have a MoCa bridge (standalone or inside a TiVo) connected to the router; I contend you need SOME kind of MoCa bridge connected to the router, even with the Roamio +/Plus. Am I misled?
You are correct but as the Roamio plus and pro have built in wifi it is unlikely that the router distance limitation you describe will be a problem. Either way as long as your Roamio has a connection to the home network you won't need aMoCA adapter.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #759
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You are correct but as the Roamio plus and pro have built in wifi it is unlikely that the router distance limitation you describe will be a problem. Either way as long as your Roamio has a connection to the home network you won't need aMoCA adapter.
I don't think that's right.

The reason to use MOCA for intra home streaming is because wifi is too slow. So I don't think they support MOCA bridging over wifi because it would defeat the purpose.

You need either a MOCA bridge, or a Roamio plus or pro, connected to the router via Ethernet.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #760
falcon26

I don't get TIVO. I have a series 4 TIVO. Nearly 50% of the menus are still SD. Series 4 came out like 2 years ago. If you look at Directv, Dish, Comcast etc etc their DVR's are 100% HD 4-6 tuners and their GUI is just as good as TIVO. And its cheaper per month. To me TIVO is something that is stuck in the past. And the only reason they are still around is because they sue everyone that has a DVR. I am probably going to ditch my TIVO for the new comcast X1 DVR. I've used it and to me it light years better than TIVO. My TIVO locks up on a pretty regular basis. I have to unplug it then plug it back in at least 1 or twice a week. I've also had 2 TIVO's go in in pretty much exactly 1 year and a few days after the warranty expired. Perfec timing.
falcon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #761
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I don't think that's right.

The reason to use MOCA for intra home streaming is because wifi is too slow. So I don't think they support MOCA bridging over wifi because it would defeat the purpose.

You need either a MOCA bridge, or a Roamio plus or pro, connected to the router via Ethernet.
As long as all your TiVos are on MoCA and the Roamio is just bridging the internet connection over wifi you'd probably be fine. (Assuming it suuports bridging over wifi at all; does it?)

All your high bandwidth in home streaming would stay on MoCA and never hit the lower bandwidth wifi. Still, if you can run an ethernet cable to the Roamio that'd probably be best.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #762
Dave in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon26 View Post
If you look at Directv, Dish, Comcast etc etc their DVR's are 100% HD 4-6 tuners and their GUI is just as good as TIVO.
Is this really true? I've had DirecTivo R10 (SD) units for many years. One of them failed recently, and DirecTV replaced it with their current SD DVR product. I hate the user interface so much I want to throw the remote across the room every time I use it.

That's why I'm in here reading about Roamio, even though I would have to change to Comcast as the content provider.
Dave in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #763
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I don't get TIVO. I have a series 4 TIVO. Nearly 50% of the menus are still SD. Series 4 came out like 2 years ago. If you look at Directv, Dish, Comcast etc etc their DVR's are 100% HD 4-6 tuners and their GUI is just as good as TIVO. And its cheaper per month. To me TIVO is something that is stuck in the past. And the only reason they are still around is because they sue everyone that has a DVR. I am probably going to ditch my TIVO for the new comcast X1 DVR. I've used it and to me it light years better than TIVO. My TIVO locks up on a pretty regular basis. I have to unplug it then plug it back in at least 1 or twice a week. I've also had 2 TIVO's go in in pretty much exactly 1 year and a few days after the warranty expired. Perfec timing.

If I had that same experience with a broken TiVo (needing to reboot 1-2 a week? Really?) then I would feel the same. More likely, after 2-3 weeks I would realize TiVo was broken and I'd fix it or get it replaced. No way would I put up with that for more than 3 months. I have complaints about my Premiere for sure, but I've rarely, if ever had to reboot it. Maybe once every six months or so?

The competition is mounting (and has come a long way) but I still give the (slight) edge to TiVo, at least for those on cable. Of course, I say this as someone who also has AppleTVs and Rokus and Chromecasts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #764
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Houston View Post

Is this really true? I've had DirecTivo R10 (SD) units for many years. One of them failed recently, and DirecTV replaced it with their current SD DVR product. I hate the user interface so much I want to throw the remote across the room every time I use it.

That's why I'm in here reading about Roamio, even though I would have to change to Comcast as the content provider.
No, it's not even close to being true. Their GUI for dtv is so plain and boring and pales in comparison to TiVo. I know, I use both on a regular basis. And it's not cheaper either, at least in my case.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #765
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
50%?

Troll....
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #766
tomhorsley

Hey. I'd rather have plain TTY style text that actually draws fast rather than waiting hours for "My Shows" to render in beautiful HD :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #767
falcon26

TROLL? Really I've been on here and posting for years. I'm more a ticked off TIVO customer. I don't understand why it takes years to get a full 100% HD GUI when every other provider has had it for years. I've been threw 3 series 4 TIVO's in less then 2 years. The problem I have now on my main TIVO is, when I hit the TIVO button, and your current show you are watching goes into the top right hand corner, that's all I get. The rest of the screen is all blacked out and you can't get out of that. I have to unplug my TIVO and plug it back in again. That happens at least twice a week. For something that has been out for sooo long you would think that it would be smooth and less bug prone then this. I have 3 series 4 TIVO's BTW...
falcon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #768
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
TROLL?
I can't speak to other providers but as a switching DirecTV customer I know that either of the two-tuner HR23/24 units can be brought to your house with a default order. The five-tuner HR44 is extra and is a more complex order. I'm not sure about the state of the four-tuner HR34.

Whether the GUI is HD or SD is less important than how the space is used. DTV uses it poorly. Frankly I think the quality of the tablet app is more important and the TiVo is enormously better than the current DTV app.

And just try and do something useful with SHEF (other than buy the Crestron app). kmttg is still useful on my Roamio.
bodosom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #769
SullyND
L: 28-31

Quote:
I've been threw 3 series 4 TIVO's in less then 2 years.
Well, if you stopped throwing them, maybe they'd last?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #770
mvalpreda

For those interested/confused about MoCA......From my router at home I take one of those the gig ports into a TiVo Premiere XL4. That is connected via coax to the rest of the house. My Mini picks up the MoCA and does its thing. I have another Premiere XL4 connected via coax and I take the Ethernet out of that to the gigabit switch port on an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac that I use for wireless and Ethernet runs to my Slingbox and another Ethernet run to my 4k BluRay player

I used to have MoCA bridges everywhere. Now I just have TiVos! It's so much cleaner. Less wires = happy wife = happy life.
mvalpreda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #771
mvalpreda

Did anyone notice Weaknees has upgraded Base and Plus Roamios? I may pony up the extra $100 for a Plus with 2TB to replace a Premiere XL4 I have.

Until I realized they change CA tax. Woof.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #772
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Also note that Roamios are dead simple to upgrade yourself now. Just pop in any size dive and the box will format and prepare it for you. Not sure I'd pay Weaknees for that now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #773
Dan203
Super Moderator

A 2TB drive is about $100 anyway...

http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-Video.../dp/B0042AG9V8

So the price is the same. Might as well have Weaknees do the work for you and provide a warranty.

Now if you wanted 3TB there is about a $40 price difference so doing it yourself makes sense.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #774
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
A 2TB drive is about $100 anyway...

http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-Video.../dp/B0042AG9V8

So the price is the same. Might as well have Weaknees do the work for you and provide a warranty.
Except that doing it yourself you also get to keep the original drive as a backup/fallback which you don't get via Weaknees.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #775
awsnyde

Quote:
I don't understand why it takes years to get a full 100% HD GUI when every other provider has had it for years. I've been threw 3 series 4 TIVO's in less then 2 years. The problem I have now on my main TIVO is, when I hit the TIVO button, and your current show you are watching goes into the top right hand corner, that's all I get. The rest of the screen is all blacked out and you can't get out of that. I have to unplug my TIVO and plug it back in again. That happens at least twice a week.
I think the idea that competitor's GUIs are even remotely as good as TiVo's is laughable. A GUI is representative of the whole interface, including how it works and its functionality. The "G" in GUI just means that the user's interaction with the user interface is through graphical means, not a textual command line. The GUI is much more than the sum of the graphics. Even if *none* of TiVo's menus were HD, it would still beat all the others due to functionality and ease of use. However, only a small minority of the lesser used menus are still only in SD--basically just the settings menus now.

Also, I've had TiVos since the original HD DVR, the old TiVo DirecTV DVR, and haven't had any of them go bad. Surprisingly, I've never even had a hard disk in a TiVo go bad.

That said, I do have the same problem that you have with the entire screen going blank except for the current video screen in the upper-right-hand corner, although it only happens about once a month, both on my Premiere Elite and my Premiere XL.

I had been resorting to unplugging and restarting when that happened, like you did, but I recently discovered a way to fix it. You'll need the iPhone or similar app. Bring up the TiVo that's "stuck", bring up the My Shows list, and select one to play. The show you selected should start playing full screen. Let it play for a minute or so, and everything will be back to normal.

I've used that method a couple of times now, once on each TiVo, and it's worked both times.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #776
mvalpreda

Wait, what? You just put in a drive and that's it? If that is really the case I'll just buy a TiVo someplace where I don't get hammered on tax and buy a 2TB drive.

I feel like someone might be pulling my leg here.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #777
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalpreda View Post
Wait, what? You just put in a drive and that's it? If that is really the case I'll just buy a TiVo someplace where I don't get hammered on tax and buy a 2TB drive.

I feel like someone might be pulling my leg here.
They're not pulling your leg. The TiVo OS is stored on a flash drive built into the mobo. So you can just pop in a blank drive and the TiVo will format it and kick you off in Guided Setup.

All current TiVos are shipping with AV specific drives, but a few people have reported putting in standard green drives and said they work fine.

Check this thread for more info...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507695
Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #778
mvalpreda

Well how about that. Good move TiVo. I am sure it boots significantly faster!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #779
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well how about that. Good move TiVo. I am sure it boots significantly faster!
From what I hear it's not as fast as you'd think. Apparently it still does a bunch of security checks at start up so it takes a couple minutes. But it's suppose to be a little faster then the Premiere and significantly faster then a S3.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #780
moyekj

Quote:
I am sure it boots significantly faster!
Nope. Boot time is not significantly faster than series 4 units. All the security checks to prevent hacking are no doubt still in place which is something that slows down the boot process.
EDIT: I didn't see Dan's post when submitting this (looks like they were within seconds apart).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote