TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
charmon

S3 HD XL Volume Header Corrupt when using MFSLive to clone hard drive

The hard drive on my Tivo HD XL no longer boots past the powering up screen so I ordered a new WD10EURX HD and tried to clone it using MFSLive and 2 USB to SATA cables. When I run the backup command, I get a message that the volume header is corrupt.

Can anyone give me some info on what I need to do? At this point, I don't even care if I can't copy my shows over, I just want to get the Tivo up and running again.
charmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
jmbach

Consider trying WinMFS. It seems to process things a little differently and may work where MFSLive does not. (and MFSLive works in some places WinMFS does not)
Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
charmon

I tried using WinMFS first. I couldn't get it to see the new hard drive using the USB to SATA cables.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
dwit

If possible, you need to try to find a pc, and connect the drive(s) directly to the motherboard.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
charmon

But what about the volume header corrupt message? Don't I need to resolve this first or I'm not going to be able to backup the original Tivo drive.

I was able to see my original Tivo drive using WinMFS but when I tried to do a backup or even use MFSInfo, I kept getting a message that it's not a tivo drive even though WinMFS recognized it was a 1000 GB Series 3 drive.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmon View Post
The hard drive on my Tivo HD XL no longer boots past the powering up screen so I ordered a new WD10EURX HD and tried to clone it using MFSLive and 2 USB to SATA cables. When I run the backup command, I get a message that the volume header is corrupt.

Can anyone give me some info on what I need to do? At this point, I don't even care if I can't copy my shows over, I just want to get the Tivo up and running again.
If you mean doesn't boot past the first screen, the one that says "Welcome", and does not get to the second screen, the one that says "a few more minutes", does it just sit on the first screen and never get anywhere, or does it go from there to a gray screen, or does it put up a green screen with white letters?

The Welcome screen is built into a chip on the motherboard, the few more minutes screen is on the hard drive, it'll put up the first screen even if there's no hard drive in the machine.

Since your new drive isn't working properly in the TiVo, you have nothing to lose by overwriting it with a new image and trying that in the TiVo as a troubleshooting experiment.

Use WinMFS and this image

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49887720/658000.tbk

(when you say HD XL, I'm assuming you mean a TCD658000)

with the new drive connected to the PC and the TiVo's original drive safely on a shelf connected to nothing.

If the new drive works with my image, then go learn about how to run Kickstart 58 on that particular model TiVo and see if it will let you do so with the original drive installed.

It might be able to fix itself enough to make it worth copying.

Also you should probably run Western Digital's long test on the original drive (I'm assuming it's a WD), and on the new drive before using it anywhere permanently.

{Also, figure out where you want to use that WD10EURX as backup storage (*not* connected to the TiVo's external eSATA port), and find yourself a WD20EURS on sale for around $100 somewhere (better GB/$ ratio, 3 year warranty, made to do A/V work 24/7)

And run WD's long test on it before putting it into service as well}

Also, while the cover is off, you need to verify that there's nothing wrong with the TiVo's power supply, as all S3s and S2s are susceptible to "capacitor plague".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote