TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
lemur21

Transferred shows get "stuck"

The main reason I decided to go with Tivo (some time ago) was because it allowed me to transfer shows and movies off the DVR to an external drive (to save space).

Recently, however; when I've gone to "Now Playing" on my laptop to transfer something back to the Tivo (to watch) - I'll select Start Playing, and -- invariably -- anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes into the movie, the transfer will stop- and a button pops up saying "Getting more of the show, wait a minute and press play" (or something similar to that).

No matter how long I wait (15 minutes, etc.) - it never resumes.

This is a new occurrence -- the last couple of months. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chris

lemur21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
telemark

How are you saving Tivo to an external hard drive?
What software are you using on your laptop to transfer back to a Tivo?

Are you talking about Tivo Desktop for both?

What's the network between Tivo and PC? What kind of Tivo?

Last edited by telemark; 05-23-2015 at 06:37 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

Which TiVo model do you have?
How does it connect to your network? How does your PC connect to your network?

Also, I don't believe it ever automatically resumed. You needed to press play again for it to start up.

waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
lemur21

Hi folks,

I have a Premiere (not the Premiere 4 ...). I believe the 2010 model.

There is an ethernet cable from the router to the TiVo device.

The laptop is WiFi -- but it's about 10 feet from the router (always a strong signal).

So, basically, using TiVo Desktop, I download shows off my TiVo onto my laptop (so I can free up space). To view it again, I go to "My Shows" and select "Devices" - I select "Now Playing on Laptop" - and I begin the transfer; then start watching.

For 4+ years, this has operated seamlessly -- recently, the problem I mentioned has begun. No matter how long I wait, pressing play does nothing - it never resumes (nor can I force it to resume).

Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
telemark

Are you able to plug the laptop into wired Ethernet just to see if the problem goes away?

Use this program to check if your network is being reliable.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winmtr/
Ping the Tivo from your laptop for about 30 mins. Ideally there should be 0% loss.

If neither of those help, see if there are any informative messages in the logs.

There are some instructions about generating log messages in this thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=447292

Also this post: http://tivolovers.livejournal.com/455815.html
Quoted here:
Spoiler:
3.1 Reporting Problems

Whenever you contact TiVo customer support with a problem regarding TiVo Desktop, it is useful to have a saved snapshot of logs taken just after the problem occurred.

If you experience any unexpected behavior while using TiVo Desktop, including "access violation" messages, hangs, or crashes, please enable "logging", reproduce the problem, and then save a "snapshot" of the logs.

To enable logging, perform the following steps:

1. Open the folder where you installed TiVo Desktop (typically "C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop").
2. Open the file named "LogFinder.exe".
3. Ensure that all check boxes in the "TiVo Desktop Log Finder" window are checked.
4. Click "Close" and follow the on-screen instructions. You may need to restart your computer.

To create a snapshot of the logs after reproducing a problem, promptly perform the following steps:

1. Don't close, exit, or change any TiVo Desktop windows currently on the screen! This may cause logged information to be lost.
2. Open "LogFinder.exe" as above.
3. Click the "Zip Logs Now!" button and follow the on-screen instructions.
4. Click "Close" to exit.

For performance reasons, we recommend that you do not regularly enable logging, or leave it enabled for long periods of time (other than when attempting to reproduce a problem). So, when you are finished logging, turn logging off. Simply follow the same steps you used to enable logging, making sure that you uncheck all the checkboxes before clicking "Close".

Last edited by telemark; 05-24-2015 at 08:04 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
justen_m

This problem might have nothing to do with anything related to Tivo or Tivo Desktop. It could just be a wireless problem. As suggested, try plugging in the laptop to your router with an ethernet cable.

I would often get hangs doing a simple file copy from my netbook (2.4GHz wireless G) to my server, if the file was very large, say >1GB. I could transfer many GBs of smaller files, but would get a hang with a simple file copy for large files. (WinXP Home -> WinXP Pro, yeah, this was a while ago).

I think there was too much interference at 2.4GHz. If I plugged my netbook into my router with a cable and used that connection, copies for large files that didn't worked via wireless would work. I never really diagnosed the problem once I had a simple workaround.

With 5GHz wireless N, I don't have a problem. I'm also using a different OS, etc, but definitely try a wired connection instead of wireless. Do you have another computer you can try copying a .Tivo file from your laptop too? See if that works via wireless or if you get a hang.

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
lemur21

I can try -- but it seems odd that this had worked for the past 3+ years, and *just* started becoming an issue in the past 3-4 weeks ... :/

Old 05-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #8
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur21 View Post
I can try -- but it seems odd that this had worked for the past 3+ years, and *just* started becoming an issue in the past 3-4 weeks ... :/
I know. I've had **** like that happen too. In any case, I tried to reproduce the problem, best I could, with what I've got available, which isn't very similar.

I installed an old copy of free Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 I found on my server, on my only Windows machine, which doesn't have wireless, just gigabit wired, and is running Win 10 Pro Tech Preview (build 10122), and played the show on my Roamio Plus, which also has a gigabit wired connection. I transferred and played a 1 hr HD show that was about 5.2GB.

Good news? The above setup works perfectly.
Bad news? It doesn't help you much. It does seem that the latest code drops, that the Premiere and Roamio share, didn't completely break transfers from a Tivo Desktop PC. Any chance there was a Windows update around the time things broke for you?

My two netbooks with wireless only run Linux. Sorry, or I would have tried it.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
lemur21

There could be some validity to this though ...

For example, one movie -- after it paused (like I mentioned) -- I ended up trying to transfer it without playing it.

It never transferred -- when I go to the history, it says "This show was not downloaded onto this TiVo box because the download rate was too slow."

Now, the TiVo box uses a wired connection. I can solve the issue by setting up the ""now playing" folder to a desktop that is ethernet-connected; but -- that seems counter-productive to the functionality -- and, like I said, especially concerning that this *just* started happening in the past 5-6 weeks .....

Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
There could be some validity to this though ...

For example, one movie -- after it paused (like I mentioned) -- I ended up trying to transfer it without playing it.

It never transferred -- when I go to the history, it says "This show was not downloaded onto this TiVo box because the download rate was too slow."

Now, the TiVo box uses a wired connection. I can solve the issue by setting up the ""now playing" folder to a desktop that is ethernet-connected; but -- that seems counter-productive to the functionality -- and, like I said, especially concerning that this *just* started happening in the past 5-6 weeks .....
Maybe there's suddenly some extra interference on whatever frequency at which you're doing wireless, like other people in your neighborhood just started using that same channel.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Maybe there's suddenly some extra interference on whatever frequency at which you're doing wireless, like other people in your neighborhood just started using that same channel.
Yeah, that's my guess. See post #6.

How many wireless networks do you see? I just checked, and I see 19. 19! Probably all on 2.4GHz. I don't know how to check that, but switching to 5GHz solved my problems.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #12
lemur21

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Yeah, that's my guess. See post #6.

How many wireless networks do you see? I just checked, and I see 19. 19! Probably all on 2.4GHz. I don't know how to check that, but switching to 5GHz solved my problems.

I see 5 -- my own (at 5 bars, since the router is 10 feet from my laptop, and the TiVo (as mentioned) is connected via ethernet cable).

The other 4 are 2 bars (out of 5) ....

Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
Photo_guy

Interesting. I recently had a similar issue - show being transferred stalled about 15mins into the program. However I have never been able to complete the transfer after multiple attempts since then. The system does not seem to recognize this program. I have transferred other programs since then successfully, without issue.
I am using a Roamio OTA on a Ethernet wired network.
It almost seems as though the program file or some transfer tracking file got corrupted.

Photo_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
billfark

I have this issue intermittently as well. I have Tivo Desktop installed on my PC, and have my main Tivo box (Roamio Pro) plugged in via Ethernet. When I transfer shows from the Tivo to the external drive on my PC, I open the file on the computer afterwards to make sure it transferred completely, which doesn't always happen. I'd say about 85% of the time, transfer from the box to the PC goes just fine. If it doesn't transfer completely, I just delete the partial file from my PC and start over. It usually works the second time.

Sometimes, even if the show transferred completely to the PC, I get the "could not transfer because download speed was too slow" message when transferring back to the Tivo box. My network speed at home is fast enough, so I suspect some type of corruption issue. This happens about 25% of the time, even though I always verify that the file transferred completely to the PC.

EDIT: I should mention that when transfers do work smoothly, the speed is pretty quick. Hour-long shows take about 20 minutes to transfer to/from the PC.

-Kevin

Last edited by billfark; 05-28-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something.
billfark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i'm having the same issue with my pxl, transferred a show to pc in march, unable to transfer it back, tried 5 times and the transfer failed 1 hour in at the same spot each time. rebooting tivo and network, or switching from wireless to wired didn't help (no other network issues streaming or downloading data).

i will try a different show later, have never had transfer issues before now.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
lemur21

Sorry - it's been a few weeks since I've been here.

Still having the issue (seems like a 30-minute show *stalls* on the last minute; a movie stalls anywhere from 30-60 minutes in).

I'm assuming it's a network issue? I can play the show in total on my computer; it's only when I try and watch it after transferring it to the Tivo that there's an issue

Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
The main reason I decided to go with Tivo (some time ago) was because it allowed me to transfer shows and movies off the DVR to an external drive (to save space).

Recently, however; when I've gone to "Now Playing" on my laptop to transfer something back to the Tivo (to watch) - I'll select Start Playing, and -- invariably -- anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes into the movie, the transfer will stop- and a button pops up saying "Getting more of the show, wait a minute and press play" (or something similar to that).

No matter how long I wait (15 minutes, etc.) - it never resumes.

This is a new occurrence -- the last couple of months. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chris
When you say external drive, do you mean just external to the TiVo, or not on the laptop's boot drive but a separate drive connected to it by USB or whatever?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #18
lemur21

Yes - the setup I have is this:

I transfer shows off the Tivo to the "My Playing" folder on my laptop.

Then, I transfer shows from that folder to a network drive (connected by USB to another computer on my network) -- that all goes seamlessly.

When I want to watch a show, I transfer it *back* to the laptop hard drive, to the "My Playing" folder. From there, I can access it through "My Shows -> Devices" on the Tivo (navigating to the "My Playing" folder). It transfers the show over (but then, the problem mentioned above happens; each time ...)