TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
spagma
Answer Guy

Help Series 2 won't complete service download.

I have a Series 2 240xxx unit that has been having a hard time completing its guide download. For the past couple of months it has been failing its download, but would eventually get through it. A few weeks ago it ran out of program guide data, but after about 30 attempts at connecting over the course of a couple days it finally made it through. It has once again run out, but I have not been able to get it to connect. My other Tivo is still connecting just fine, so I do not think it is a problem on my network.

I have both units set up with a USB ethernet adapter. I have tried swapping adapters, and network drops, and everything points to this unit. I thought perhaps it may have been an issue with the hard drive so I was able to follow the linked thread below, and upgrade the hard drive, however I did pull the image from the original drive.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784

The unit is still having the same issue. I brought the unit to another location to rule out the network, and tried connecting a phone line to see if that would work. So far nothing has helped. Since I still have the original drive set aside, as well as the backup file, I decided to reset all settings on the device to see if that would help. It has not, and now I cannot get through the initial set up, via network, or phone line.

I had contacted Tivo support, they were less than helpful, and basically told me the unit is 10 years old, go buy another one. That's great and all but I had purchased the lifetime guide service and do not wish to do so again. I do not expect to continue having TV service for more than another year or two.

Since I had copied the original drive, if its files were corrupt or something of that nature, that would have been copied over as well. I am looking for any suggestions anyone may have, or if someone has a winmfs backup file (.tbk) of another series 2 240xxx unit that I could try I would be grateful.
spagma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagma View Post
I have a Series 2 240xxx unit that has been having a hard time completing its guide download. For the past couple of months it has been failing its download, but would eventually get through it. A few weeks ago it ran out of program guide data, but after about 30 attempts at connecting over the course of a couple days it finally made it through. It has once again run out, but I have not been able to get it to connect. My other Tivo is still connecting just fine, so I do not think it is a problem on my network.

I have both units set up with a USB ethernet adapter. I have tried swapping adapters, and network drops, and everything points to this unit. I thought perhaps it may have been an issue with the hard drive so I was able to follow the linked thread below, and upgrade the hard drive, however I did pull the image from the original drive.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784

The unit is still having the same issue. I brought the unit to another location to rule out the network, and tried connecting a phone line to see if that would work. So far nothing has helped. Since I still have the original drive set aside, as well as the backup file, I decided to reset all settings on the device to see if that would help. It has not, and now I cannot get through the initial set up, via network, or phone line.

I had contacted Tivo support, they were less than helpful, and basically told me the unit is 10 years old, go buy another one. That's great and all but I had purchased the lifetime guide service and do not wish to do so again. I do not expect to continue having TV service for more than another year or two.

Since I had copied the original drive, if its files were corrupt or something of that nature, that would have been copied over as well. I am looking for any suggestions anyone may have, or if someone has a winmfs backup file (.tbk) of another series 2 240xxx unit that I could try I would be grateful.
What's the LBA number of the original 40GB drive from that unit?

(some 40GB images are larger than others because of the "fat" Maxtors that were used in some S2s)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
spagma
Answer Guy

The drive is 80GB Western Digital WD800
LBA 156301488

It is definitely the original drive as it has the TIVO stamp on it.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
The drive is 80GB Western Digital WD800
LBA 156301488

It is definitely the original drive as it has the TIVO stamp on it.
TiVo used some Maxtor drives on the 240 and the 540 as well, and they had a slightly higher LBA number than their "same GB" WD or Seagate counterparts from that era, so images taken from those Maxtors need a little more space when restoring to a new drive.

My 240080 (or was it a 24008A?) came with a Maxtor, so my images need an LBA of at least 160086528.

If you're trying a second drive, and it's giving trouble as well, then you won't lose anything by starting over with it, and if it's larger than 80GB, you can use my image.

This is the one for use with the MFS Live cd v1.4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/240_gset.bak

and this is the one for use with WinMFS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/240_GSet.tbk

As long as you have the cover off of that TiVo, go ahead and check the power supply for capacitor plague.

Especially suspect the ones underneath the heat sink overhang where they're hard to get to.

You can use up to a 1TB drive in that machine (and another one as the B drive), but that'll mean you should read the IDE/SATA adapter thread first and look for an older model 1TB SATA drive.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
spagma
Answer Guy

Thank you, I haven't had the time yet to mess with it. I appreciate the image. I will let you know how it goes.

As luck would have it my original series 1 died this weekend as well. Just a bad month for my Tivos.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
spagma
Answer Guy

I was able to load the image, and unfortunately it is still not working, and getting the connection has been interrupted error. At this point there must just be something wrong with the hardware. It is 10 years old, it's had a good run.

Thank you again, for your help.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Thank you, I haven't had the time yet to mess with it. I appreciate the image. I will let you know how it goes.

As luck would have it my original series 1 died this weekend as well. Just a bad month for my Tivos.
Was that S1 lifetimed as well?

What kind of death are we talking about?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
spagma
Answer Guy

Yes the S1 is lifetime as well. Here is the error it is getting:

Highslide JS

I had left it on and connected to the network hoping that would suffice as I do not have a phone line, and when I checked it this morning it had this error:

Highslide JS

I cracked it open and blew it out, let it sit off for a while, and brought it into work with me. It is now back to showing the green screen error. I will hook it up to our fax line this evening to see if it can get through it.

I had replaced the hard drive in this unit in 2003 or so. I still have the image and tools I used, but will have to relearn how to do it, if I need to reload the image.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

the error might have occurred because a fan inside died, so it shut off and corrupted

Take the top off, let it repair itself. With the cover off, it shouldn't overheat
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
spagma
Answer Guy

I had removed the top and cleaned it out, and verified the fan is working. I let it cool down, and it boots back up at least to the green error. It has not gotten the blue error again, at this point.

I have it hooked up to a phone line now, to see if it will repair itself. I am doubting it will, but here is to hoping.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Yes the S1 is lifetime as well. Here is the error it is getting:

Highslide JS

I had left it on and connected to the network hoping that would suffice as I do not have a phone line, and when I checked it this morning it had this error:

Highslide JS

I cracked it open and blew it out, let it sit off for a while, and brought it into work with me. It is now back to showing the green screen error. I will hook it up to our fax line this evening to see if it can get through it.

I had replaced the hard drive in this unit in 2003 or so. I still have the image and tools I used, but will have to relearn how to do it, if I need to reload the image.

Okay, those screens are from the S1 or the S2?

And did you buy lifetime on the S1 on or before January 20, 2000?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
spagma
Answer Guy

I have the failed S2 back in place as just a pause live TV and record things by time/channel. It still works well for recording, it just cant complete the service update, so it is not getting program guide data.

Those images are from the S1. I purchased lifetime on the S1 I think sometime in 2002 or 2003. After hooking it up to the phone line for a number of hours last night and it not working, I think I recall that the modem on it died a long time ago, which is what prompted me to install the network card. I dont recall for sure though.

At this point I think I may have to reimage the drive on the S1 to see if that clears it up. The S1 had been retired and I only brought it back in service due to the S2 failure. The S1 worked for about 2 weeks before it locked up completely forcing a hard boot which resulted in the green screen.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I have the failed S2 back in place as just a pause live TV and record things by time/channel. It still works well for recording, it just cant complete the service update, so it is not getting program guide data.

Those images are from the S1. I purchased lifetime on the S1 I think sometime in 2002 or 2003. After hooking it up to the phone line for a number of hours last night and it not working, I think I recall that the modem on it died a long time ago, which is what prompted me to install the network card. I dont recall for sure though.

At this point I think I may have to reimage the drive on the S1 to see if that clears it up. The S1 had been retired and I only brought it back in service due to the S2 failure. The S1 worked for about 2 weeks before it locked up completely forcing a hard boot which resulted in the green screen.
Under those circumstances I'd be a little suspicious of the hard drive itself.

Might want to pull it and run the manufacturer's long test.

Be sure to use an image that's already updated to version 3.0 of the S1 software so as to be able to set the dial prefix to ,#401 and use the network card in it.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
losaltos

Download problems

I am having the same problem as the original poster with a working network setup on a series 2 and yet downloads fail. Some people suspected the hard drive.

I wonder why the original poster didn't mention trying the phone connection. In my case when I try that, this also fails with an interrupted message.

I am wonder if the real issue is some corruption of the disk image.
losaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
spagma
Answer Guy

I did mention trying the phone connection, and it always failed with an interrupt as well. I went with a completely different drive, a completely different disk image file as well. No luck. At this point I have chalked it up to a problem on the board, and its sitting unpowered in a closet. I hope you have better luck.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by losaltos View Post
I am having the same problem as the original poster with a working network setup on a series 2 and yet downloads fail. Some people suspected the hard drive.

I wonder why the original poster didn't mention trying the phone connection. In my case when I try that, this also fails with an interrupted message.

I am wonder if the real issue is some corruption of the disk image.
Series 1 owners are having download problems right now, which they do this time of year every year for the past several.

Your problem may be an extension of that--a couple or three years ago when I was still messing with my S1s, I had the problem and it seemed to "spread" to my S2s as well for a day or three.

This may not help, but might, and shouldn't hurt--give everything on your home network that doesn't leave the house a fixed IP address instead of relying on DHCP, and change your router's settings to have a DHCP address "pool" of only 2 or 3 more addresses than you currently need for stuff that does leave the house, and of course no overlap between those numbers and the fixed address numbers--you've got at least 250 available, so that shouldn't be a hardship.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
I did mention trying the phone connection, and it always failed with an interrupt as well. I went with a completely different drive, a completely different disk image file as well. No luck. At this point I have chalked it up to a problem on the board, and its sitting unpowered in a closet. I hope you have better luck.
I don't know why it didn't occur to me to suggest that your S2's power supply might be suffering from "capacitor plague".

Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
losaltos

Well, mine seems to be working now, after failing steadily 10 times or more over 4 days just before Christmas. I had it unplugged till just now when I did Kicstart 52 to reinstall the software. That may not have helped either if the problem was actually in the TiVo servers. I was getting the interrupt.

The problem was nothing to do with DHCP or IP addresses because my TiVo was in communications with the others on my network the whole time with no problems, and it could connect to the service, check account status, set the time, etc. Only the downloading portion would terminate very quickly and abruptly in a connection interrupted message. Now, I had seen this issue before with the TiVo and I thought it was my router's fault but now I am not so sure. It could have just been an infrequent intermittent problem that became more steady. Having it powered off for a week may have done something though. We shall see. THere is always the dread S03 error that occurs during loading especially when you have a lot of program data to update (as in none left at all in this case.)
Old 01-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by losaltos View Post
Well, mine seems to be working now, after failing steadily 10 times or more over 4 days just before Christmas. I had it unplugged till just now when I did Kicstart 52 to reinstall the software. That may not have helped either if the problem was actually in the TiVo servers. I was getting the interrupt.

The problem was nothing to do with DHCP or IP addresses because my TiVo was in communications with the others on my network the whole time with no problems, and it could connect to the service, check account status, set the time, etc. Only the downloading portion would terminate very quickly and abruptly in a connection interrupted message. Now, I had seen this issue before with the TiVo and I thought it was my router's fault but now I am not so sure. It could have just been an infrequent intermittent problem that became more steady. Having it powered off for a week may have done something though. We shall see. THere is always the dread S03 error that occurs during loading especially when you have a lot of program data to update (as in none left at all in this case.)

Almost certain that your problem is on TiVo's end, as Series 1 owners have been dealing with it for a few weeks now (and for some reason it seems to happen every year about this time of year, especially to S1s).

You just have to ride it out and keep forcing connections.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
losaltos

Interesting. Well after tantalizing me with one random success which ended when the loading did indeed encounter the S03 errror, I had (connection interrupted on download) failures for 8 or so tries over a day or so. Then I did the 'clear program information and todo list' and that full load worked fine. It's the ultimate way to get around the S03 problem anyway but usually deleting the tivo suggestions alone does it for me. That was around midnight today that the full load started. Oddly when I tried again just now, it worked again and found some more program information to load, which is unusual. The next day's data seems to become available at 4pm pacific time normally. But there was no connection interrupted on that increment either.

If this at the tivo server, it could still be dependent on the state of the downloading dvr, such as a particular season pass or todo list item triggering something that would ordinarily be fine. You would think that would come in the loading phase rather than the getting data step. It might just be the sheer size of the download as sometimes it gets very far before the connection interrupted, but it can also get into a state where all the downloads fail almost immediately. I have Dish satellite and the program data is immense where they had to cut back to just 7 days into the future vs. the original 10 days to keep these working at all.

Last edited by losaltos : 01-03-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
losaltos

When you clear program information and todo list, the season passes remain, but they don't match with any of the new program data any more. Maybe this helps avoid the download interrupted problem because something is wrong with those season passes causing this behavior.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #22
losaltos

Well I am happy to report that I have had several successful downloads with and without new info to get. So spagma could take his unit out of the closet, and just do the "clear program data and todo list" operation in order to restore it to normal functionality. Yay!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
markess

I keep having the same "connection interrupted" message when restoring one of my Series 2. The other wouldn't complete updating program data, so I switched to phone and that worked. I was beginning to suspect my ISP was breaking up the long sustained downloads or something to discourage "excessive' bandwidth. But I hadn't thought of the issue being on TiVOs end.
markess is offline   Reply With Quote