TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #1
Mike95688

hard drive replacement

I have a Tivo Premiere TCP746320 that is giving me the welcome screen, the GSOD, then back to the welcome. I think this is a hard drive problem. I need to know what hard drives are compatible and the best way to recover the data. I know some of this is available in other forums, but please help

Mike95688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
jmbach
der Neuerer

My preference in order is WD A/V, WD Green (may need wdidle3 timer adjusted) / WD Red (may need TLER disabled which is controversial at this time). Size wise you can go up to 4TB but anything over 2TB may require an intermediate drive for full expansion.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike95688 View Post
I have a Tivo Premiere TCP746320 that is giving me the welcome screen, the GSOD, then back to the welcome. I think this is a hard drive problem. I need to know what hard drives are compatible and the best way to recover the data. I know some of this is available in other forums, but please help
The other common thing that causes a TiVo to fail is "capacitor plague" in the power supply. Read some threads here that mention "capacitor" to rule that out before you conclude that it's the hard drive. But if it is the hard drive, then time is critical. Search for threads here discussing "ddrescue". If you remove your old drive and connect it (and a new drive of the same size) to your computer, ddrescue probably gives you the best chance of copying your recordings. Read "How To Clone Your Failing TiVo Drive With ddrescue" which is a sort of TiVo-specific tutorial. If you have a Gigabyte motherboard, search here for issues with those. After you rescue the data from the failing drive, you can relax a bit and consider options for migrating to a larger drive so you have more recording space.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Capacitor plague has not been common on the Premiere. I have not seen one reference to that happening. S3 and S2s, yes, agreed.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
telemark

I'd suggest testing the hard drive in a PC with the manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

If it fails, buy a new drive.
Clone them with
ddrescue
from a boot CD.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote