TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
BradfordD

Initial Set-up MoCA (?) Comcast SF Bay Area

Hi All!

I am new to TiVo - however my wife has been a longtime user (old analog TiVo that I jerry-rigged to our LCD in the bedroom). I'd like to move into the 21st Century, and was hoping to get a better understanding of TiVo and MoCA Networking. I currently have 2 Comcast cable boxes (1 is HD) hooked up to two TV's and a Comcast modem hooked up to a ASUS RT-AC66U Gigabit wireless dual-band router.

I now have a third TV (Sony XBR9) in an area that I'd like to use as a MoCA hub (I believe this is the Comcast coaxial cable entry point into my home)... So I bought a the TiVo XL4 for the XBR9. So, please let me know what I need from here. The home layout:

Family Room MoCA Hub: TV/Home Theater (XBR9, Yamaha RX-V671 Network AV Receiver w/XM), PS3, and Wii. Planning to use PS3 as my BlueRay. I will need a Comcast M-Card.

Cinema Room: TV/Home Theater (old but still operable Toshiba HD rear projector w/PIP, old but still operable Yamaha HTR-5240 5.1 AV receiver) and wireless router. The existing Comcast cablebox is HD, but I can't run PIP on the Toshiba TV - which I'd like to do.

Bedroom: TV/Home Theater (Panasonic TC-L37U22 1080p LCD HDTV and Sony HT-SS360). Have the old analog TiVo hooked up and its all connected (jerry-rigged) to an old Comcast cablebox (HD I think).

I am paying a "boat-load" to Comcast (XFinity TV - Cable, Digital Classic, Digital Plus, HBO, Encore & Plexes, Music Choice, Digital Converter & Remote, HD Technology Fee and an additional Digital Outlet Service (including equipment - my guess the bedroom cablebox). As well as XFinity Internet with modem rental. This does not include the M-Card that I'll need for my new TiVo Xl4.

So... Where to go from here?? If I move to MoCA, can I eliminate any cableboxes? Can I get PIP in the Cinema Room (do I need a TiVo in that room?) What the heck do I do with the old Tivo in the bedroom (the bane of my existence, BTW) - that I now can't get any HDTV picture without a great deal of hassle (switching from the TiVo remote to the other two remotes)??

Please help - or point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Bradford D.
BradfordD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
BradfordD

Ok, answering part of my own question, looks like the TiVo Mini in the bedroom will work. Will pay for itself in 24 months of Comcast equipment savings. No Netflix is too bad but acceptable. Getting rid of the analog TiVo is a blessing - as well as no other needed cabletop box or cablecard.

This still leaves the Cinema room... How to get HD TV with PIP and my wireless router up into the MoCa network? Can I get rid of the HD cablebox and rental modem??

Bradford D.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
jcthorne

You can replace the cable box with another mini or another DVR, your choice based on features desired. You will need to keep the Docsis modem.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
BradfordD

I'm renting a RCA dcm245 from Comcast for $7/mo. Should I purchase a Docsis modem and return the RCA? Can I use the ASUS RT-AC66U Gigabit wireless dual-band router ports to the XL4? I'd then move the wireless and modem to the family room.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
BradfordD

To use the XL4 as a MoCA bridge, does the modem and router need to be in the same location as the XL4? Or can I just use the Ethernet from one of the wireless router ports from a different room to the XL4?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordD View Post
I'm renting a RCA dcm245 from Comcast for $7/mo. Should I purchase a Docsis modem and return the RCA? Can I use the ASUS RT-AC66U Gigabit wireless dual-band router ports to the XL4? I'd then move the wireless and modem to the family room.
How about this from ebay for a refurbished DOCSIS 2 modem

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SB5101-MOTOR...#ht_3123wt_938
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
poppagene
User

Quote:
To use the XL4 as a MoCA bridge, does the modem and router need to be in the same location as the XL4? Or can I just use the Ethernet from one of the wireless router ports from a different room to the XL4?
If you're only using the moca to connect the xl4 to minis then yes that will work.

Get a moca adapter for the router and connect that to the coax cables for tv throughout your house. Your xl4's can connect to the internet and to the minis and the router by coax and the ethernet ports on the xl4s can serve as ethernet bridges providing internet access to the other devices in the vicinity by attaching a devide directly or by attaching a switch to serve multiple devices.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
BradfordD

Thanks poppagene, but do I need a MoCA adapeter for my router?

To get Ethernet to the XL4, I was going to:

Media Room: connect wall coax jack to modem -> then Ethernet line from modem to router (ASUS RT-AC66U). From router -> Ethernet to Family Room XL4. I will still have a spare coax jack (the Media Room has two coax wall jacks) for either Comcast tabletop - or another Mini in the future.

Family Room: connect Ethernet -> to XL4, and, wall coax jack -> to XL4. This XL4 would then be the Home's MoCA bridge.

Bedroom: connect Mini to wall coax jack.

Does this scenario work?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
poppagene
User

Quote:
Thanks poppagene, but do I need a MoCA adapeter for my router?

To get Ethernet to the XL4, I was going to:

Media Room: connect wall coax jack to modem -> then Ethernet line from modem to router (ASUS RT-AC66U). From router -> Ethernet to Family Room XL4. I will still have a spare coax jack (the Media Room has two coax wall jacks) for either Comcast tabletop - or another Mini in the future.

Family Room: connect Ethernet -> to XL4, and, wall coax jack -> to XL4. This XL4 would then be the Home's MoCA bridge.

Bedroom: connect Mini to wall coax jack.

Does this scenario work?
Yes -- the scenario should work with ethernet to the xl4 and moca from the xl4 to the mini(s)